Home General Discussion

Breaking Bad

Replies

• Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Just got to the middle of season 2. Really good show!! But the video store by my place does not have Season 4. Going crazy...
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Dammit, Walt. . .
  • jam-i-am
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Dammit, Walt. . .

My thoughts exactly!
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Dammit, Walt. . .

One step closer to loosing it. Walt seems to be a really smart guy but damn it will all fall on his head. I don't like Walter so I really wish he will fail.
  • Ryan Hawkins
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Whopper of an episode this week! Amazing, just amazing.
  • slipsius
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I-I forgot i could get the names...
  • slipsius
    Here's my guess what will happen. He'll get the names from the girl, then get his new partners prison connections to kill all 9. Skyler will eventually snap and say you have 1 hour to start running, then im going to go tell hank who and what you are. then he goes on the run, which is when he buys all those guns.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    slipsius wrote: »
    holy...shit...

I didn't think I could hate Walt, but now I think I have to....
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Seemed a tad lazy writing, i mean we've seen time and time again that Walt is a great mastermind, orchestrating Gus' assination, its out of character for him to have slipped up so much with
    Mike's Death
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Ryswick wrote: »
    Seemed a tad lazy writing,

I couldn't agree more. He`s always so cool and calculated, that it seemed a bit out of place. On the other hand, they certainly set it up pretty hard. They have a history of pointing guns at each other, and certainly have been harboring some animosity. It seemed more like an act of passion than anything else. Maybe thats the point. Walt is starting loose "it", whatever "it" is. He`s getting sloppy as a result of his ego. I thought during that whole opening scene Walt looked like a fool, and not a badass.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I dunn think that Walts reaction at the end goes with his character at this point. He feels bad about it? I don't mean to say he should be all cold, but he had issues with him the whole time. They didn't like each other, and i don't think that showed there. I'm sorry to see Mike go tho... i liked him.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    I'm really hoping
    Mike survives, comes back at the end and cuts Walts arms off so he has to live the rest of his life without any arms.
  • slipsius
    glottis, this is the first time he's shot in cold blood though. Every other time has been purely for survival. Mike posed no threat to him. He was gonna disappear forever. So I think Walts remorse was more so of him and his inner demons. realizing that. Lazy writing it was not.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    But he was a threat. He really blamed him for everything. Specially now that he had to leave his granddaughter and make a run for it. Also, he had the info on the 9, of which one has already talked, and i am sure if they have the info all of them would talk without the proper payout. To me Mike was always the high risk variable, and i don't think it played out with the weight that it had build up. I wouldn't thought that the conclusion to their relationship was more explosive.

When i saw the gun in the bag i thought... Mike will try to shoot Walt. Walt took out the bullets, Walt shoots Mike dead once he proves that he was against him.

In the end, i just felt that it was a little sloppy.

At least we know that when Jesse finds out that Mike was killed by Walt, that will trigger him to go against him right away.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    glottis8 wrote: »
    At least we know that when Jesse finds out that Mike was killed by Walt, that will trigger him to go against him right away.

I doubt anyone is going to find out Mike is dead.
    Walt knows how to dispose of bodies leaving no trace, and Mike knows how to disappear leaving no trace.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I liked it, it was Walt's ego pushing him to rash decisions. Mike was yelling at him that he was stupid, and should have been happy having Gus tell him what to do, but Walt is convinced he's always right and that he's in charge. But Walt wasn't thinking reasonably, he was all "Who the fuck is he to tell me what to do? I'm HEISEN-FUCKING-BERG!" pulls the gun and shoots Mike. His head clears and realises his mistake, Mike would have left and never come back, could have got the names from Lydia and dealt with it himself, but now he's got more blood on his hands after telling Jesse that now they're in charge, no one else will die.

I think Jesse's going to shit his pants when he finds out Walt killed Mike, he'll go to the DEA and turn Walt in.
  • Mrskullface
    kill Walter White. Mike was my fav.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Was just thinking about where the overall arc could be going and noticed it's been more than a few episodes since the the German company has shown up. There's certainly enough plot points going in New Mexico with the new distributors. They could certainly necessitate that M60, but it seems strange to me that they would go to all the trouble of introducing the company, having the guy kill himself and then come back again to introduce the head of the company and leave it at that. Maybe Lydia calls the head office to tell them about Walt and we'll get some crazy Euro Hitmen in the last half of the season?
    I dunno, probably over-thinking it.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Marine wrote: »
    "Who the fuck is he to tell me what to do? I'm HEISEN-FUCKING-BERG!"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy_DASt7hDs"]Heisenberg. You're Goddamn Right. Walter White, Say My Name Breaking Bad Season 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Walt's losing his mind. He was once cool and calculated, but that time is done. He's now a reckless walking time bomb (as Mike once said). Interesting part is how you've come to care for Walt over the period of the show, even root for him. Now... all that is changing. People are rooting against him now.
    199136_2447005911206_531890831_n.jpg
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    now it's a question of....just how bad can Walt get :-)
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Interesting part is how you've come to care for Walt over the period of the show, even root for him. Now... all that is changing. People are rooting against him now.

That's partly why it's brilliant. I love this show.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My guess is Walter is going to keep goin down this destructive spiral which will force Jesse to kill him.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, just watched Box Cutter. The reaction of everyone in the room was like "OMG!!!".
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    What? That was season 4... you're crazy for looking in this thread. There's soo many spoilers :|
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    What? That was season 4... you're crazy for looking in this thread. There's soo many spoilers :|
    I've been careful. Been hard, but I've been careful.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont is 'Breaking Bad'. He ain't a pussy like all y'all ;P
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    People are rooting against him now.

No kiddin. I want terrible things to happen to Walter.

Did anybody else find this personality shift of his as jarring as I did? Sure, with the way season 4 ended, it was shown how low he would go, but I still felt like it was Walt acting out of character - being 'pushed' by desperation. And then all of a sudden with the start of season 5 (which is basically immediately after the events of the season 4 finale) he is a full-blown sociopath. Maybe I was still just clinging to who I had envisioned Walter White to be for the whole of season 4 and that clouded my judgement, but 4 episodes into the 5th season, I straight up wanted to see the guy dead.

It all seemed so... sudden.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    I must be the only one who still likes Walt. Hes a badass! I mean its not as if hes beating up members of his family or anything.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    No, but he is murdering his business partners, and manipulating his once loyal friend in Jesse. Physically beating up members of his family is about the only thing he hasn't done. But he has been threatening Skyler this whole season, so the family unit does not appear to be off-limits, lol.

His motives have changed. plain and simple. He admits openly that the reason he is doing all this now is out of personal pride. He isn't defending anyone anymore, and therefore, yea, screw him. lol
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Walter's personality started to shift as soon as he realized his life was in danger from Gus. If you corner an animal, it becomes violent as a means of self preservation. It really turned the moment Jesse went to kill those drug dealers. Walter hit them with the car and then shot one in the face, to save Jesse. At that point, Walter still cared about Jesse and was trying to protect him. But I think that moment was pivotal to Walter's persona, as he was never the same afterwards. Now Water is consumed by the power he's gained and doesn't care who he hurts to get what he wants.
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    12 unbearable months :/
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, what a frelling cliffhanger! Gah. Soo good. :)
  • Monkeez
    Damn, I don't want to wait to see what happens next; a torturous 12 months ahead :(.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Just goes to prove, all of Mankind's greatest realizations are made on the toilet.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I finally got around to taking a look at this thing. Watched the first couple of episodes. It's not really grabbing me. Hal and his partner in crime are compelling enough characters and I'm sure their overwrought bumbling is just a device to contrast against when they become more professional (or whatever the suitable term would be), but the rest of the characters are just dreadful. I wound up turning off the third episode a few minutes in because the conversation between the wife and her sister was grating on my psyche.

How long before I can see what people blather on and on about?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Short attention span or what? haha. If you're looking for nonstop action or something, this won't be your thing. The show is all about character development. If you don't watch it ALL, you're missing a huge chunk of the story and who these people are. Some episodes are definitely not exciting whatsoever, but they are important nonetheless.
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    As with any series, the first season is the introduction. Describing the characters, settings, etc...
    Probably hitting the inciting incident plot point of the series with a few minor conflicts coming into play that will move the protagonist away from his everyday life

If the average viewer can casually make it past the 1st season, the 2nd season should be a make it or break it moment- with whether it's a show that's worth watching for you
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    If the average viewer can casually make it past the 1st season, the 2nd season should be a make it or break it moment- with whether it's a show that's worth watching for you

If you make it to season 3, you're hooked for life.

The prison op montage was intense btw.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems a little far fetched that he makes that connection at that point. When the W.W was mentioned in the first season, and there has been no other instances that i can remember of this being brought up again.

Or am i wrong?
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Seems a little far fetched that he makes that connection at that point. When the W.W was mentioned in the first season, and there has been no other instances that i can remember of this being brought up again.

Or am i wrong?

The book was gifted to Walt from Gale in season 3. G.B. is Gale Boetticher. Though I can't remember if Hank ever thought that Walt knew Gale in some capacity.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    So calculative Walt, would leave a book dedicated to him by GB in his to read in the bathroom pile? dunno what to make of that.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jackablade: Give it to Episode 6. By then you will be able to get a taste of the full range of the show

Or am i wrong?

Noooo. That was a key piece of evidence in the Murder of Gale - from his journal. And that Scene they flashed back to at the end was just from last season. I'm sure it was fresh in Hanks mind still. Especially since
    the case had recently been snuffed out with all the prison killings. I'm sure he was constantly mulling over everything to see where it all went wrong.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    So calculative Walt, would leave a book dedicated to him by GB in his to read in the bathroom pile? dunno what to make of that.

Yea, that's what I thought at first too. But then I considered that with Skyler moving back in, she may have just been playing housewife, and found it laying about not realizing what it was, and placed it in the pile of books. Walt may have never known it was missing, since it was under a women's magazine in the guest Bathroom, which I assume Walt would never read/hardly use.

But yea, the increasingly carelessness of Walt this season is something that has been a little frustrating to watch, but maybe it was just a sign of him losing his edge. By the point in the timeline of the final scene, he was 'out' for at least a month or two, so perhaps he let his guard down?
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess...he did say that he was out. He looked kinda in good terms with his wife as well. I was just waiting for something bad to happen at the pool, than a revelation in the bathroom.

Still... i don't think that the book was the thing that would tip Hank of Walt being the bad guy. If i overlooked the book this long, then it feels kinda forced that it would come back in such a dramatic way. I am also, still waiting on the foreign traders to be a part of the show. They setup the whole start of the season with that guy committing suicide, but have not played anymore in the season so far. Maybe Hank will step down after that speech to Walt about his other job? I can see Hank not making it at the end of the season.
  • Irreal
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Still... i don't think that the book was the thing that would tip Hank of Walt being the bad guy. If i overlooked the book this long, then it feels kinda forced that it would come back in such a dramatic way.

I dunno, I honestly think this was perfect. The thing with Hank is that he is always on the verge of solving the case but events and people always get in his way preventing him from achieving this. The pieces of the puzzle were always in front of him. It's fitting that it all came together in the one moment when nobody would disturb him.

Plus I think we all need to listen to this again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugY6HNLOCo"]Gale whole song from Breaking Bad - YouTube[/ame]
  • slipsius
    absolutely loved the end of this one. I would have been pissed if hank didnt figure it out in this season
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    @Jackablade: Give it to Episode 6. By then you will be able to get a taste of the full range of the show
    Alright, I'll persevere until then.

It's not really a case of being bored. I've just come from working my way through Game of Thrones and that's quite a bit more talky than this has been so far. I think that may be part of the problem. Game of Thrones is an excellent series which hits a very few bum notes in terms of writing and characters, which stand out like beacons amongst everything else that's there. Now coming to Breaking Bad those things that stood out as problematic in Game of Thrones, notably characters reacting unrealistically or doing stupid things seemingly because the script says so, are irking me a lot here, despite the obvious differences in setting, writing style and structure.

The wife is the other big issue. Even in the short time I've watched the series, I find her incredibly grating and utterly unsympathetic which is a problem given she's currently the only major supporting character. Like I said earlier, I couldn't be bothered with the third episode because it began with she and her sister snarking at each other. The fact that she isn't likely to go away any time soon in a long, long series isn't exactly helping my inclination to stick with it.

If that's all too much waffle, put in simple terms I had some reservations going in and the series has thus far done little to allay them. I'll give it another few episodes, but at this point I suspect it's just not going to be something I can get behind.
  • Billabong
    Offline / Send Message
    Billabong polycounter lvl 15
    I personally hate Walter and Skyler now. One of the main people I do like,well im not going to say anything to spoil for anyone hasnt seen it, lets just say I was not happy with last weeks episode.