Home General Discussion

Breaking Bad

Replies

• glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. For me, I'd have liked one or two more episodes to get everything prepared.

Just spitballing, but I'd liked to have seen an entire episode that only deals with his time in the cabin, as Notman lead to - The lonliness, guilt, paranoia, breaking down, coming to terms with his actions and why they're so dead against his original character. Walt was a mastermind, and perhaps his own intellect could have been the thing to undo him from the awfulness he'd reaped. Again, Walt didn't seem to suffer enough through all of it, to balance out all he'd done.

Then they could have taken their time with the finale and gotten it really "spot on".

Walt's breakdown wasn't entirely obvious to me. He obviously softened, but with how everything transpired with Walt falling out with his family, and then being dastardly enough to get past Skylar's guards, rig up an M60 to an oscilating arm (why did the boot of the car need to open up, btw? It shot through the side of the car body), he seemed as driven and as deceptive as ever. It all seemed to come too easily to Walt, as others have said.

And going back to my issues with Jesse - After having a couple of days to mull it over, it makes less and less sense to me. Jesse, who'd been pulled through the ringer because of the direct and indirect actions of Walt, should be hell-bent on revenge. Walt would have killed him on the principle that Jesse would surely go after his family. Jesse's lost everything. He'd have nothing to lose by going straight at them, even whilst they were under guard of the DEA/police.
  • DanBe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Walt's Transformation was absolutely stunning and greatly portrayed.

If you follow the symbolism, it even shows through Walt's facial hair. First the clean shaved good guy, than the goat T Heisenberg and than the full bearded broken man that wised up.

I found that in the end you saw a final Walter White / Heisenberg mix. The ruthlessness from Heisenberg killing of all the people and threatening his old friends. But than also a guy who let of off his greed, his pride and his legacy to seek redemption, but not fully as he actually dies a somewhat happy man beside his true love.

I think W.W. transformed into something way way more dangerous than he has ever been with Heisenberg. Which is also visible in how smooth actually all went considering in the past there was always a miss calculation, because he was actually not so much in control over his own senses (pride, greed, temper etc.). He was at all times ueber calm, while in the past he would freak out either in anger or fear.

Nothing worse than having a half dead lion cornered in a cave. My 2 cents.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Yeah. For me, I'd have liked one or two more episodes to get everything prepared.

Just spitballing, but I'd liked to have seen an entire episode that only deals with his time in the cabin, as Notman lead to - The lonliness, guilt, paranoia, breaking down, coming to terms with his actions and why they're so dead against his original character. Walt was a mastermind, and perhaps his own intellect could have been the thing to undo him from the awfulness he'd reaped. Again, Walt didn't seem to suffer enough through all of it, to balance out all he'd done.

Then they could have taken their time with the finale and gotten it really "spot on".

Walt's breakdown wasn't entirely obvious to me. He obviously softened, but with how everything transpired with Walt falling out with his family, and then being dastardly enough to get past Skylar's guards, rig up an M60 to an oscilating arm (why did the boot of the car need to open up, btw? It shot through the side of the car body), he seemed as driven and as deceptive as ever. It all seemed to come too easily to Walt, as others have said.

And going back to my issues with Jesse - After having a couple of days to mull it over, it makes less and less sense to me. Jesse, who'd been pulled through the ringer because of the direct and indirect actions of Walt, should be hell-bent on revenge. Walt would have killed him on the principle that Jesse would surely go after his family. Jesse's lost everything. He'd have nothing to lose by going straight at them, even whilst they were under guard of the DEA/police.

See I feel like most of the time this season things have not gone according to Walt's plan and he's suffered for it. When Hank got killed, his fight with Skyler and taking Holly, and even being rejected by his own son. He was crumbling. I think when he came to say bye to Skyler ,when he finally admitted he did all of it for himself, thats when he realized what he had done to his family. Sure he didn't say it outright but we don't need everything spelled out for us, do we? ;)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing show, I only started it about a month ago, so glad to be able to go through the whole thing in a short space of time.

I took the ending not as him breaking down, but him coming to terms with what he had become and the damage he'd done. Leading to him destroying all his work (the source of the meth production and distribution) and even himself to try and cleanup the mess he'd made, and still provide for his family which was the whole point to begin with.

As DanBe said, there wasn't the split of Walt/Heisenberg anymore; they had merged. There was still the caring side of Walt for his family and Jesse, and the ruthlessness of Heisenberg. He knew what he was and didn't pretend to himself or anyone else anymore. I think that was conveyed particularly well when Jack tries to barter for his life by saying the money is hidden; Walt's family will be taken care of so he doesn't care about the stolen money anymore (Walt), and he deals with Jack with cold detachment (Heisenberg).

Now does anyone know how to induce amnesia so I can watch it all again?
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    for me there's enough content to watch the whole series again and enjoy the small things I might have missed :)
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Sukotto wrote: »
    See I feel like most of the time this season things have not gone according to Walt's plan and he's suffered for it. When Hank got killed, his fight with Skyler and taking Holly, and even being rejected by his own son. He was crumbling.
    But: I don't consider that being the suffering of Walt. I feel like that was still the tail end of Walt trying desperately to survive, save his money and escape. He was still in monster-mode at that point, and didn't (imo) start to take stock of all of this until he was alone in that log cabin.

I feel like the first details of your post was the impetus/fuel for Walt to revert somewhat back to his original character and try to right the wrongs he'd caused.
    I think when he came to say bye to Skyler ,when he finally admitted he did all of it for himself, thats when he realized what he had done to his family. Sure he didn't say it outright but we don't need everything spelled out for us, do we? ;)
    Yes. Agree here. I think he was devastated by the idea of not seeing his kids again, and seeing Walt Jr for the last time but not being able to interact with him was crushing. Though, to me, he deserved that for what he'd put his family through, and still had a laundry list of people he'd wronged that he should have eventually paid the price for, somehow.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They do. That was a pretty major blunder, and (no spoilers), they don't do anything like that again.
    Oh man, you're gonna love season 5 :D
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I'm trying to catch up. Just watched the finale of season 4 last night.
    Gus walking out of the explosion with half his face missing, adjusting his tie, then collapsing was so dorky and implausible. Major turn off for me. I was really enjoying the show until that happened. It's a good show so far, but I still don't understand why so many people geeked out over it so hard. I hope they stay away from gimmicks like Gus' death in future episodes.

Yah that was probably the least believable scene in the series I'd say. I did think it was cool how the teddy bear in that season only had half a face :P
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Personally, I didn't see it as outlandish. I saw it as a tribute to his fearless and seemingly indestructible nature. When he walked out first, I thought "even a bomb can't take this guy out, damn".

It didn't seem that corny/unrealistic to me. Being in shock can make a person do crazy things...
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    A lot of people did see it as a 'jumping the shark' type moment, but I think they're a vocal minority. Anyone who has ever mentioned it socially or at work that I've heard raves about how awesome that scene was. So, that scene was for those guys, and I honestly don't think one scene ruins anything for the people who do think it's a bit silly.

Also, part of it was just to keep you going that extra few seconds, not sure if he was alive or dead. When I saw him walk out of the door after that explosion, I was in utter shock. It was a very effective moment.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Personally, I didn't see it as outlandish. I saw it as a tribute to his fearless and seemingly indestructible nature. When he walked out first, I thought "even a bomb can't take this guy out, damn".

It didn't seem that corny/unrealistic to me. Being in shock can make a person do crazy things...

That's how I felt about it too. It actually IS possible, if it only took out his face (as it did). The human body can actually function for a while. It may have been a bit over the top, but I thought it was a great moment (and one of my faves). But I definitely agree that no one should let one scene ruin a series for them. I don't think the show goes down hill after that, so I wouldn't consider it jumping the shark.