Home General Discussion

Breaking Bad

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Considering the M60 in the season premiere, foreshadowing sounds about right :poly121:

dont forget the part where Walt says "everyone dies in this movie" while they cut to Skylar scared shitless :D
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Stumbled on this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EzVBOIfqE"]Gustavo's Box Cutter - Breaking Bad - YouTube[/ame]

Still loving the show. Also watching The Newsroom lately. A shame they are in the same timeslot.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    also what the hell was that speech at the end of the last episode all about? jesse seemed super upset after.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    also what the hell was that speech at the end of the last episode all about? jesse seemed super upset after.

He's implying that Mike is taking liberties that aren't his to take like taking $300,000 a cook for the hazard pay for his men from Gus' operation. He said Victor got his throat cut by Gus for taking liberties that weren't his to take like cooking in the lab.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    yeah, that took me a minute or two to figure out as well, then boom. man, what a dick walt has become :D
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    He also didn't just kill someone (in her eye's) he blew-up a fucking nursing home.
    Watching him enjoying all the death during Scarface, with her children, is the last thing she needs to see at this point.

Indeed, that was an amazing scene- I love the writers on this, it's an awesome show!
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    I don't really buy Walt character now. What's his motivation ? Power and money ? His family ? He says it's family... after break between the seasons I kinda lost any interest in Walt as a character.

Actually, there are a few things. One is money. Skyler gave away all of his money (like a dumbass). So now he needs money to support the family. The part I find funny, is they act as though that car was is not capable of making money.

Another reason is a theme I've seen throughout the series; Walt's need for praise/credit. They've repeatedly shown someone getting credit for his actions. It started with his 'friends', who made millions from his work, anonymous people taking credit for paying his medical bills, to people trying to cook his recipe, to other people getting credit for taking down dealers. He wants to be king shit, and right now, he's not that. He's broke and has nothing to show for it.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Also a lot of this surely comes from the cancer itself. The idea that you're not even in control of your own body. All of this seems like a huge compensation. It's great.

Also did I misinterpret or did Walt effectively decide to end Jesse's relationship? Was it because felt guilt over the kid and wanted them away? Or was it because he thought it was a risk that Jesse might tell the girl everything and/or find something better (love and family) than this whole drug thang.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    notman wrote: »
    Actually, there are a few things. One is money. Skyler gave away all of his money (like a dumbass). So now he needs money to support the family. The part I find funny, is they act as though that car was is not capable of making money.

Another reason is a theme I've seen throughout the series; Walt's need for praise/credit. They've repeatedly shown someone getting credit for his actions. It started with his 'friends', who made millions from his work, anonymous people taking credit for paying his medical bills, to people trying to cook his recipe, to other people getting credit for taking down dealers. He wants to be king shit, and right now, he's not that. He's broke and has nothing to show for it.

Yeah I know whats his motivation. I just don't buy it. After this break between seasons I just find it hard to feel for Walt. I know he has been through a lot. But now... I just find it hard. I think the season needs to develope more for me. I don't get the feeling he really needs the money. I know he wants it. I know he wants power but he seems he just wants it for the kicks. I suppose it's how his character works. He got into this new life and he enjoys it and wants more. I think I just need to watch few more episodes to get back into Breaking Bad hype :D
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw yeah! Whenever I think of Malcolme in the Middle I always think of that scene. Also, it wasn't until after I finished season 4 that I realised that Walt was the dude from that show.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Unimpressed with this episode. None of the characters are likeable anymore, and how on earth did that dubstep car scene get past editing, I'll never know. Super naff.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Interesting show of toughness and no-nonsense by Skyler (though the pool scene was a little ott in my opinion)
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the track will be in the watch. They could track him other ways if they wanted. I do think the end scene was symbolic of his time running out though.

I really didn't care for this episode. The only crazy part was Skyler and Walt's argument.

I thought the opening sequence (with the cars) was a bit odd too. I instantly felt like, did they get chrysler as a sponsor? Then, next commercial break 'this episode brought to you by the new SRT line". Yep, what a crappy product push; take out the GM product (aztec), and bring back in the Chryslers. It was a fun opening, but odd, and forced.
  • Marine
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I liked the car bit, aside from the music. It's Walt showing off, he bought Junior that car before but Skyler forced him to take it back, now he doesn't give a shit, in his head he's king meth, no one can touch him.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Also, the old light green Aztek has always been symbolic of Walt's soul. It was with him when he was just a mild mannered chem 101 teacher and every time he's done something that crosses the line it has been physically damaged. Still, even though it's been spattered in "deer" blood and involved in multiple accidents it's maybe the one constant he's had since the beginning of the series.

And he sold it for $50.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    The car bit at the start was super-odd. (In terms of the edit)
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    The car bit REALLY pissed me off. I hate dubstep as it is, and it seemed like they were just trying to appeal to the younger people that watch Breaking Bad. Really strange and it put me off the entire episode, which was very boring.

Walt and Skyler are not very believable as characters any more, I think they're just too exaggerated. Entire episode just bored me.
  • Mrskullface
    yes that car part, not to mention they had the commercial for it RIGHT after. so stupid. oh well it's still pretty damned good.
  • Axios
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I've enjoyed any part with Jesse or Mike, or any drug empire building type scenes, but Walt and Skyler family drama is getting pretty drawn out.
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    what are these commercials you speak of :P
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    So that was his birthday? with the bacon? it seems a little bleak imo. I think when Walt decided to sign the divorce papers was a good time to get rid of his family as a love interest kind of relationship. I rather see them in a different light. It does get old to see Walt try to be the dad, while Skyler keeps being nervous.

I am glad that Hank is back, and he is just not the cripple.

Apart from that, i am quite unsure as to where the show is going now. I think before there was the arc that was pretty interesting to try and figure out. Hence the cool unexpected turns where people die or what not. This one just seems kinda slow paced.

I wonder what the writers think that the pool represents in the show. They keep coming back to it in different areas through out the season. Is it perception, distortion, suffocation?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    yet another great episode.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    glottis8 wrote: »
    So that was his birthday? with the bacon? it seems a little bleak imo. I think when Walt decided to sign the divorce papers was a good time to get rid of his family as a love interest kind of relationship. I rather see them in a different light. It does get old to see Walt try to be the dad, while Skyler keeps being nervous.

I am glad that Hank is back, and he is just not the cripple.

Apart from that, i am quite unsure as to where the show is going now. I think before there was the arc that was pretty interesting to try and figure out. Hence the cool unexpected turns where people die or what not. This one just seems kinda slow paced.

I wonder what the writers think that the pool represents in the show. They keep coming back to it in different areas through out the season. Is it perception, distortion, suffocation?

Its fun to see Walt put Skyler in her place, I hate her so much :P I got chills when he turned into 'bad Walt' That blink and then that stare...woooo!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    what are these commercials you speak of :P

Haha yeah must have missed those too ;P
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I don't think the track will be in the watch. They could track him other ways if they wanted. I do think the end scene was symbolic of his time running out though.

Definitely think the watch was more of symbol than a tracker too. I mean the show has done it time and time again :D Though if I was Walt I would be pissed haha. Imagine your wife saying I cant wait for you to get cancer only for you to get a watch as a birthday gift :poly127:
  • jmt
    I can't remember ever disliking an episode of Breaking Bad as much as the most recent one.
    The other episodes this season have been awesome, but I'm sick of Skyler.

I was checking the spelling of "Skyler" on Google and these were the two autofill results:
    57onF.jpg
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, one other thing that I'm waiting for them to return to. Skyler does that bacon thing, and she put 51 on his plate, which is of course, his age. An earlier episode opened with Walt at a diner, and he made 52 on his plate. I'm curious if they are going to move forward very quickly, or if that scene means something else.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    That completely passed me by hah thanks notman. So we know he probably survives at least another year.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea I picked up on that bacon thing as well, itll be interesting seeing his hair come back and appearance change again. that episode was pretty good, that intense bedroom scene with walt and skyler was great, just shows how he thinks hes a mastermind and is completley arrogant. every scene now with walt just makes me balk at how his ego and arrogance are just getting out of control.

"we're just getting started......nothing stops this train....nothing" as he sits there with the Heisenberg hat....hahah you just know he was contemplating killing that woman as well.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh crap, totally forgot that it was his birthday in the opening of the season.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Definitely think the watch was more of symbol than a tracker too. I mean the show has done it time and time again :D Though if I was Walt I would be pissed haha. Imagine your wife saying I cant wait for you to get cancer only for you to get a watch as a birthday gift :poly127:

? The time where his actions were borderline justifiable are long gone.
    She watched her man turn into a monster, for her sake he isn't the same man she married or had children with so what she is doing is very understandable imo. Even the deathwish
  • konstruct
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, thanks Notman- I knew that bacon thing was significant, but I couldn't remember why. Does that mean Walt makes it a whole year from this last episode? I feel like hes has to go down soon, either via Skyler, the DEA, or cancer. Maybe he`s going to outlast everyone- even his family.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I'm surprised people didnt get the bacon thing, he even says its his birthday during the first episode :3

I'm excited to see where this season is going to go.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, he even gets the meal for free, because he showed his drivers license, which means he wasn't 'hoping' for his 52nd.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    BUT! the drivers license is not his. If i recall correctly, the waitress calls him by a different name, right? So it might not be a year later.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    We open in a Denny's restaurant, across the street from the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. A man, sitting alone at the counter, is served his breakfast: bacon, two eggs sunnyside up and hashbrows. The man breaks the pieces in half, then arranges the pieces into the number "52 ("Pilot")." This man is revealed to be Walt, full head of hair, an unkempt beard and no wedding band. We are a year into the future.
    A waitress tries to make conversation with him, but Walt is not very compliant and begrudgingly answers her benign questions, giving her a fake name (Lambert, which is Skyler's and Marie's maiden name) and shows her an ID from New Hampshire. Excusing himself to the bathroom, Walt then trades an envelope of cash for a set of keys in the bathroom with Lawson, his previous gun dealer ("Thirty-Eight Snub"). Lawson asks Walt for his word that "it" won't be crossing the border. Walt assures him that "it" won't be leaving town. Before exiting the bathroom, Walt lets out a slight cough. He pops a pill.
    Leaving a $100 tip under his breakfast for the waitress, Walt exits the diner and locates the car that the keys belong to. Opening the trunk, "it" is revealed to be an M60 machine gun with ammunition. Walt looks around cautiously, then puts his bag in with the gun and slams the trunk shut.

Also,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYBTX_GmSM8"]Breaking Bad - The Ecstasy of Gold (tribute video) Seasons 1-4 - YouTube[/ame]
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    BUT! the drivers license is not his. If i recall correctly, the waitress calls him by a different name, right? So it might not be a year later.

Oh, good point. I forgot about that
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    ? The time where his actions were borderline justifiable are long gone.
    She watched her man turn into a monster, for her sake he isn't the same man she married or had children with so what she is doing is very understandable imo. Even the deathwish

Well I meant that in the mind set of Walter. Walter thinks whatever he is doing is for the safety and well being of his family.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah I think the whole scarface thing is a very obvious red herring.

I didn't even notice he had a full head of hair at the start of the first episode. Damn, I need to wake up.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, and a pretty hefty beard. I figured it was from being on the road a long time, for some reason, and he didn't have time to shave.
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I love how complex this is getting :)
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    MattQ86 wrote: »

That video was great! The show seems slow paced at times but that video is a reminder of all the crazy shit that has gone down.

I liked the last episode just fine. Surprised so many people are hating on it. I think it was good to see a little more of the White family's personal interactions.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »
    That video was great! The show seems slow paced at times but that video is a reminder of all the crazy shit that has gone down.

And all within the space of about a year, let's remember. I keep forgetting and am always shocked when characters mention this hah.
  • Zpanzer
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I love this series! Watching the movie that MattQ86 posted, damn.... I've forgotten all about how Walter was in the beginning. I loved his quote: "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks"

Just shows how completely crazy he is now :P
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    That's an excellent video MattQ. Superb summary of the past seasons. You forget how much crazy stuff has happened.

Oh, and there's this: http://flavourmachine.com/breaking/
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    wow! that was crazy! such a good episode (skylar is still a bitch). i was on the edge of my seat the entire end of the episode. so much tension!!! so good! man.. need to calm down. lol
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, great episode. The ending completely caught me off because I forgot the intro. Damn. Crazy. Crazy GOOD. :D
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Today's episode:
    AVRw4.gif
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Wooooooooooooah. The ending of this episode :O !

...the idea of pushing truck filled with sand ... ? 3 people pushing the truck ?! ok...