Home General Discussion

Breaking Bad

Replies

• ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having just re-watched the series I'm kinda looking forward to Walter getting whats coming to him. I didn't really notice the first time just how much of a dick he is.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    THAT WAS AMAZING! TOTALLY WORTH THE YEAR OF WAITING!!!!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    This show is the most elaborate Paperboy spinoff in history.

Good to have BB back.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    :thumbup:Hasn't lost its touch. great season opener
    That opening scene where he takes the poison from the electrical outlet and stands back up to look in the mirror.. only to see his reflection without eyes. Damn...that gave me chills
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, that was a pretty epic shot.

Obviously something big seems to go on at his house. I also love Hank's rage, and Walt's play on words. His responses were very careful, and could be taken multiple ways, depending on how you take it.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    They've been using mirrors and reflections to tell the story of Walt's two sides since the 1st episode. That broken mirror part was mega deep. Like there's only one side of Walt now...
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember seeing some behind the video footage of them talking in detail about all the reflection stuff. I never noticed it before. Really cool!

Hanks rage was awesome. The moment when the garage door slowly starts to close, while they were face to face... I was on the edge of my seat thinking.. OOOOHh shittt, this is it. It's going to happen!!! :poly134:
    Definitely not disappointed with how that scene turned out.

But, now that I think about Walters' current situation with the boarded up house/etc...
    I can't see it being hank that runs W.w outa town. It just doesn't mix right with me. Let's say, If the cops are after you.. It's likely anyone would run and avoid being seen., but he's also loading up on weapons and keeping them in the back of a trunk? And then there's the poison.

If i had to put up a guess, i'd say it's related to the jittery business women that wants Walter back in. She may have had something to do with outing his identity to the wrong people
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Didn't really like the ending of the new episode, it's like Walt didn't want to deny or admit anything, seemed sort of wishy washy. The rest of the episode was great though, so much content it felt like watching multiple episodes. I hope the rest of the season can keep up this pace and quality.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Didn't really like the ending of the new episode, it's like Walt didn't want to deny or admit anything, seemed sort of wishy washy.

Not in the slightest
    The way he delivered the final couple of words leave no other interpretation except for him admitting to being heisenberg if you listen carefully. He truly turns from a sad dying man to heisenberg in a blink of an eye, but also extremely subtly. He's done that voice change mid sentence a few times in the past but this was by far the most subtle and the most effective.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seemed to me, like he was intentionally choosing his words, so he'll have deniability, and it also gives time to scheme up ideas. As ballsy as he's gotten, he still has his intellect, and knows better than to try his "I'm the danger" stuff on Hank.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The way he delivered the final couple of words leave no other interpretation except for him admitting to being heisenberg if you listen carefully. He truly turns from a sad dying man to heisenberg in a blink of an eye, but also extremely subtly. He's done that voice change mid sentence a few times in the past but this was by far the most subtle and the most effective.

I think it was still subtle. We know what it meant, as the audience. Hank does not, and it leaves him wondering if Walt was threatening, or denying. My guess is Walt will now try to shift the evidence. The 'future' clips clearly show him less like Heisenberg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I kind of received those lines as being wishy washy on purpose. Talking in vague open-ended statements that would likely hold up in court, as others stated. Made everything much more intense imo. A whole conversation between the lines.

iknow-500x286.jpg

@StephenVyas - I agree about the dark-haired woman (Lydia?) being the cause of the house being boarded up. Gilligan teased that the next episode will feature "moving pieces" that the woman mentioned when complaining about the falling purity of the product. Guessing she hands over Walt to the folks she's now in business with. Seems right in character for her to me... furthermore, they always meet in coffee shops. Perhaps Walt has plans for a Mocha Ricin Latte? :P

So many thoughts and predictions! 7 episodes left :(
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooh, that's right. They do always meet in coffee shops. That'd provide an easy opportunity for walt to slip it in her drink.

My head is bouncing around a lot of predictions of how this will play out too.. The most unexpected one that came to mind was.. what if the poison is for himself. Seeing that he's dying from cancer anyways... if he gets caught he may choose the easy way out rather than rot in jail or get tortured by whoever he needed the weapons to defend himself against.

That aside, i hope Jesse still has some main plot points within this seasons storyline.
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    Has everyone forgotten about the Neo-Nazi gang from the first half of the season?? Walt talks big and discusses a supply deal with them and then practically the next episode declares he's getting out of the biz. Somehow i don't think a gang like that is going to just accept that. So if anyone has got anything to do with Walt's house being boarded up + M60 in the trunk etc. i would guess its them.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Watching Hank go back to the abandoned house is haunting: the truth about him writ large on the wall, his huddled dark figure looking for the poison in the tattered skeleton of the family home, and his monstrous reflection in the broken mirror, all combine to create one of the most uncomfortably tense intros I've ever watched.

I love when Walt finds the GPS tracking device, it almost seems that he has this moment of realisation after the initial panic of his fears being confirmed, where he recognises what he has to do, and resigns himself to the fact that it's going to get very ugly from here on out.

The closing scene is masterfully done. I felt that Cranston delivered the final lines in such a way, that it almost seemed like Walter was trying to break through the Heisenberg persona, genuinely imploring Hank to tread lightly, knowing that the evil Heisenberg will stop at nothing to win.
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Damn, finally got around to watching the latest episode of Breaking Bad, so awesome and have missed this show so much! That last scene was great, and it's interesting to see how the rest of this season and show for that matter will play out. I think Hank is too much of a boss to be intimidated by Walt, it's gonna be a draaama bomb! :D
  • Envart
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Jesse's going to blab :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's how I'm feeling too. It still seems odd to me that he's check the fuck out though. I guess his mind is just stuck in loops, creating scenarios where Walt may have lied to him, or fucked his world up.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    still... its moving pretty fast, eh? I was also surprised how Skyler panicked, then realized Hank had nothing, and freaked out at him to let her go... and was the one to suggest to Walt to hold back... Pretty freaky stuff.

But yea.. Jesse is out of it... he is starting to piss me off lol

Great episode tho.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i'm gettin the feeling that Jesse's about to spill everything

also.. how much do you love Marie these days? when she was trying to take the baby... oh man:poly127:
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely more of a set-up episode than an intense thrill ride.

Can't. Fucking. Wait. A. Week.

JESUS CHRIST MARIE
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    every episode makes me change my predictions of whats going to happen in the end....
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely forgot about this scene
    Jesse straight up telling Walt what will happen if he gets caught...
    http://i.imgur.com/z5GLpdf.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Finally saw it today. Jeesh, avoiding spoilers was tough.
    slipsius wrote: »
    every episode makes me change my predictions of whats going to happen in the end....
    :thumbup:

I don't think Jesse is going to talk. Can't really explain why. Too... predictable?

I hate Skyler a little less now btw.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    I hate Skyler a little less now btw.
    Heh I was slightly the opposite, why wouldn't you talk to hank when you don't know the extent of walt may have done? She certainly doesn't love him (basing that off how she behaved in past few episodes anyway).
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Heh I was slightly the opposite, why wouldn't you talk to hank when you don't know the extent of walt may have done? She certainly doesn't love him (basing that off how she behaved in past few episodes anyway).

Because she's in far too deep to get out of it by talking.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's the thing, if Walt goes down, she does too. Hank doesn't realize (yet) how deep into Skylar is too. Money laundering, and tax evasion, for starters. Not to mention, I think their marriage has improved, now that Walt has left the biz. She probably is still suspicious/cautious of him, but I think they've moved forward. She seemed genuinely concerned that his cancer may have returned.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also she was all tough talking to that woman that came to talk to Walt at the carwash. Like she was defending her family and Walt.

At least Walt was honest about it.

I dunno how it will play it haha
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Wow that was an amazing episode... wowwzaa
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    burn baby burn
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    That was a pretty tense episode.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Tonight's episode was so intense.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the diner, that kid sure was speaking openly about his past successes. Seemed a bit strange to me, considering his past motivations to keep it a secret.... were so strong that he shot a kid to keep it that way.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    He was bragging in front of his uncle (or someone like that) who is also a criminal. They all killed few more people like few days ago.

Ending of this episode was great. At the beginning of this season Walt comes to his abondoned house and it wasn't burned though...
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JESUS CHRIST MARIE :D

This forum needs spoiler tags for images... i'll just post this instead

http://the-average-gatsby.tumblr.com/post/59361872350
  • ILLMATICC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILLMATICC polycounter lvl 6
    That episode..wow. When i understood what Walt was doing with that confession :poly115:. I felt like Jessie's realization was a bit far fetched though..but i'm glad he did :D
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woa... Walt is very precise and accurate. I really like that.. he always has an angle to work things through.

I didn't get the whole Jessee realization thing tho. Someone wanna recap that?
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I didn't get the whole Jessee realization thing tho. Someone wanna recap that?
    tl;dr
    Can't recall what episode it was, but you remember after brock got poisoned by the ricin? Well after that happened Jesse went round to Walts house and threatened him with a gun, claiming that Walt had had Saul (i.e using Huell) steal the ricin cigarette from him and then use it on brock. Walt convinced him that it didn't actually happen like that even though it did.

But in the newest episode Huell steals the weed from Jesses pocket as he's leaving Sauls office, and Jesse realises this when hes waiting for the van. Then he realises what he originally thought happened with the ricin MUST have actually happened.

edit: forgot he didn't actually use the ricin on brock.. but same plot

better expanation courtesy of reddit
    Season 4
    Walt needs Jesse on his side to get to Gus
    Context: If you recall, Jesse is the one who tells Walt that Gus seems to have a big hatred for Hector "Tio" Salamanca, then Walt figured out how to plant the bomb on Tio, Gus died... etc etc
    So Walt forms a scheme to get Jesse to distrust Gus.
    Walt tells Saul to somehow extract the cigarette from Jesse. Thus Saul has Huell lift the ricin cigarette from Jesse's pocket (most likely by simply trading out the packs, dummy pack for the real one with the ricin).
    Context: Originally Jesse was somewhat distrustful of Gus, Walt had hatched an earlier plan to have Jesse kill Gus with the ricin. But Jesse was befriended by Gus, and he eventually came to like the guy. Also, if you remember, Saul is frantic to get Jesse to his office, calling him over and over again. It was to get him in the office to get the cigarette off him.
    Jesse now has a dummy pack of cigarettes. With this in mind, Walt now makes the moves to make Jesse distrust Gus. Walt takes his "Lilly of the Valley" extract and gives it to Jesse's girlfriend's young son Brock.
    Context: Vince Gilligan, the show's creator, has stated several times that the writers have imagined Walt's delivery system as perhaps a doctored juice box or something of the like. Sneaking into Brock's school to place it in his lunch or even hand it to him would've been fairly rudimentary for a teacher.
    "Lilly of the Valley" gives pneumonia-like symptoms that appear very severe (the same symptoms that ricin gives when killing someone). So Jesse thought that Brock was poisoned by the ricin. Jesse frantically searches in his cigarette pack only to find, ah! It's not there! (Huell took it!)
    Jesse bursts into Walt's home, gun in hand demanding Walt to admit that he poisoned Brock with the now missing ricin. Important to note: Jesse says that Huell must have took it when he went to meet Saul. Jesse is no idiot, he was 100% right on his instincts. Walt claims ignorance, saying he has no reason to do so and he has no idea what Jesse is talking about (lying obviously). Through Walt's machinations, he convinces Jesse that it must have been Gus, who has hurt children before (Andrea's brother who shot Combo was killed by some of Gus' lower order thugs).
    Jesse now doles out the details of Gus' hatred for Hector "Tio" Salamanca leading to Gus' eventual death via Walt's admittedly ingenious scheme.
    At the end of season 4, the doctors at the hospital tell Jesse that Brock was not poisoned with ricin, but had consumed "Lilly of the Valley" berries in some shape or fashion. Jesse, taken aback, rationalizes with Walt that even though Gus didn't do it, he "had to go," although he is clearly still rattled.
    Season 5A
    Walt and Jesse go on a hunt for the missing ricin cigarette (although Walt knows exactly where it's at, and we're even shown Saul throwing the ricin cigarette back to Walt in a plastic bag, making a crack about Huell's "nimble sausage fingers"). Walt is just making a facade to make Jesse think the cigarette was simply misplaced. They "find" the ricin cigarette in Jesse's electronic vacuum (although it was Walt who placed it there).
    Jesse breaks down in tears, realizing he almost killed Walt over this (as aforementioned when Jesse confronted him in season 4, saying he was the one who took the cigarette and poisoned Brock). Although in reality, the bastard did deserve it.
    Season 5B
    This episode! Jesse is ready to move on with his life, move to Alaska, and just leave ABQ. Saul tells Jesse he can't bring pot to the meet with his "guy." The guy won't be inclined to help a druggie disappear (sensible). Jesse defiantly and silently refuses to give up his stash. Saul leaves the room to get "money bags" and while he is out there he tells Huell to pinch Jesse's stash off him (rewatch the scene, you can actually see him snatch it from Jesse!).
    Jesse is waiting at the stop, he searches his pockets, at first just simply realizing the pot isn't there. But he looks at his pack of cigarettes and realizes, holy shit, Huell took my pot just now... and they took the ricin just as I had originally thought. Walt has been bullshitting me ever since.
    And that's where we're at! That's about as thorough as I can get off the top of my head.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooooh... that is a little bit farfetched... specially since this must have happened a while ago now, right?

Still... can't wait for next episode.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somewhat, but so have many things that have built up from early on which is kind of what makes it so great.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Another Fantastic Episode!!!

Yes, at the start of these episodes, the house wasnt burned. Which gives me the feeling walt is going to show up and kill jesse in his house, which is why his neighbour was freaking the fuck out when she saw him! oooo......

Man, so many things can happen now. fuuuck
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooooh... that is a little bit farfetched... specially since this must have happened a while ago now, right?

Still... can't wait for next episode.

It happened a while ago for us, but the timeline for the show has only been a year or so total so it wasn't that long ago for Jesse.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18

The entire series spans a little over a year if you don't count the future bits. Giant ass timeline pic here
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I still don't get why he flipped and got really mad though, I mean, from what I gather, it's just because they stole it off him? His reaction seems a bit extreme (compared to what's happened in the past) for just a little lie. He's reacting as if Walt ACTUALLY used ricin to poison and kill the kid.

I dunno, it just seems like he's already aware most of the time that he's being lied to (the whole speech they had in the desert before) so why was this such a shock to him? I think I'm missing something.

Either way, great episode, but these cliffhangers are killing me.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I didn't really understand why Jesse thought the ricen was taken off of him. As far as he knows, it was in the vaccum cleaner. And more importantly, he knows it was Lily of the Valley that got the kid sick, not the ricen, so why is he mad? I dun get it.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Selaznog,
    I believe that at the time of the ricin incident, Jessy had actually known what happened (Huel had taken the ricin off of him). Jessy confronted walt, and walt convinced him otherwise, convinced him that he was wrong.

So when Jessy realized Huel had taken the weed off of him, he realized that he had been correct, and Walt had been lying at the time of the ricin incident.

He also realized that walt had gone into his home and planted the ricin in the vacuum, and probably now suspects that the lilly of the valley incident was also walts doing.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm having a wonderful time watching these episodes but the connection jesse made could have had a small flashback to help people remember, because I was confused as hell too.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    ysalex wrote: »
    Selaznog,
    I believe that at the time of the ricin incident, Jessy had actually known what happened (Huel had taken the ricin off of him). Jessy confronted walt, and walt convinced him otherwise, convinced him that he was wrong.

So when Jessy realized Huel had taken the weed off of him, he realized that he had been correct, and Walt had been lying at the time of the ricin incident.

He also realized that walt had gone into his home and planted the ricin in the vacuum, and probably now suspects that the lilly of the valley incident was also walts doing.

Ah okay I guess that does make a lot of sense. I'd be pissed too :P

On a sort of side note, I really like Jesse's character. I love how he started off "bad" and Walt started out "good" and now we are seeing their true colours. I like how much of an impact Brock's sickness and the boy at the train's death had on Jesse, even though they weren't close to him.

This show is just brilliant. Wish this season of Dexter was as good...