Home General Discussion

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Well, that was a waste of time. Just beat the end boss and realized I missed the two optional endings (I thought, "huh, maybe those guys are down the elevator"), so I didn't even bother to finish the game (my saves long since overwritten, and no backtracking allowed). Also, I guess there is DLC or something if you bought the game? I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that, or how to unlock it.

There was a lot of bullshit in the game, but it was mostly centered around the stupid bossfights. Why is my guy the biggest pussy in the universe? He gets his ass kicked by every single boss in melee, and dies when he's hit by half of a shotgun blast while hiding behind cover. Meanwhile, some random robot chick can take 200 .50 cal bullets to the head before she dies.

Why are all the upgrades shittier than you expect? The recharge upgrades are bullshit, which makes the energy capacity upgrades bullshit (side note: fucking candy bars are the most precious commodity known to man in this game. Guess what game designers; having to fucking scrounge for candy bars doesn't make me feel like a badass) The hacking upgrades don't do what they say they do ("reduce chance of being detected by 45%" lol). the running upgrades seem to double the amount of time it takes to recover. A lot of shit that I would expect to be passive is active, which would be okay if punching a guy didn't take a whole fucking energy cell. Seriously? My guy can't even punch someone without having to take a little nap afterwards?

I felt like this game was a lot like Deus Ex, but with a "worst of" collection of modern game tropes smeared on the top. Stupid revenge plot, forced failure in annoying cutscenes, shitty contrived bossfights, and over-tested to remove most of the fun.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, you must've really sucked at the game XD If anything the boss fights were too easy.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Entity wrote: »
    Wow, you must've really sucked at the game XD If anything the boss fights were too easy.

That depends entirely on how you build up your character and play the game. As well as what skill level you choose when starting.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a pure stealth character and I got by pretty well. The rooms are filled with guns and ammo, just grab a rifle, toss a couple of grenades and shoot :)

The trick is to not tackle them head on, but to play with your strengths. If you can turn invisible, use that to confuse them. If you have a tricked out revolver, a couple of exploding head shots will easily bring them down.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, the boss fights are hard, but they're not Ninja Gaiden hard.

I do kind of regret boosting my hacker abilities, though. I don't feel like I've powered up nearly as much as I would have liked to by the first boss fight (maybe I need to start over).
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18

You must really suck at reading if you thought I wrote that the bossfights were hard.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Heh, in my no kill / no alarm playthrough I got to Montreal and the part where you summon the elevator and he guards all rush to the area was piss easy because I just blocked the doors with vending machines which seemed to stop one side from spawning.

Funny enough, this game is incredibly short if you focus on the main missions only. I literally cloak ran past all the infiltration bits and thanks to my previous playthrough I knew all the routes. Also, I friggin hate how the tranq rifle randomly kills NPC's. I have to check every single one to make sure there isn't a skull icon.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was a pure stealth character and I got by pretty well. The rooms are filled with guns and ammo, just grab a rifle, toss a couple of grenades and shoot :)

The trick is to not tackle them head on, but to play with your strengths. If you can turn invisible, use that to confuse them. If you have a tricked out revolver, a couple of exploding head shots will easily bring them down.

And when you don't? Or have no tricked out weaponry because you had been using the tranq? Have no invisibility? Oh, I found a method (see previous page and especially PVP cartoon). But I also took awhile to figure it out.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    And when you don't? Or have no tricked out weaponry because you had been using the tranq? Have no invisibility? Oh, I found a method (see previous page and especially PVP cartoon). But I also took awhile to figure it out.

I play as take-down stealth with no invisibility.
    I simple kicked into quake-mode, took down bosses with no tricked out guns, simply from what I had looted earlier in the missions.

EMP's are not upgradable, they simple go from the range of AWESOME to AWESOME.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I play as take-down stealth with no invisibility.
    I simple kicked into quake-mode, took down bosses with no tricked out guns, simply from what I had looted earlier in the missions.

EMP's are not upgradable, they simple go from the range of AWESOME to AWESOME.

Quake mode didn't work for me. Remember there is actual drift with these weapons. I also always play most games (except Serious Sam) on the hardest mode. Where the enemy can kill you in a few shots. See last page for how I did it.

It sucks when you throw the emp and it misses because you only have a targeting reticle when in zoom mode.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thats when you have to make use of the weapons lying around :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Best boss fight from the original didn't require a bullet fired. If you made he right choices you could shut him down with a phrase. Now that's rewarding a player.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    laputan machine :)
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah those kill codes were hilarious. I wish the bosses in HR entered the way the originals did..I loved reloading saves and planting mines at places where I knew they would walk through :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah those kill codes were hilarious. I wish the bosses in HR entered the way the originals did..I loved reloading saves and planting mines at places where I knew they would walk through :)

:D I did that in pauls apartment. Good ol LAMs
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's quite beautiful if you look at this whole scenario, we get an awesome new entry in the deus ex series, and new players to the series get this awesome chronological sequel to human revolution that they've never experienced before.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    but there are a lot of unwrapp errors, whole cables lyiong on the floor, mapped on them instead of being geometric, you see symmetrized uvs all over the place...

dunno, not saying its an awfull game, cuz its cool, but my expactations where higher...

also it feels a bit as if "skidding" and "climbing" are missing here and there...

story is epic though until now!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure whether it's been mentioned as yet, but word is the boss battles were outsourced to a studio called GRIP entertainment, hence why they don't seem to fit in the game in any way shape or form.

There's a video here:
    http://www.elecplay.com/watch/21/191/3/14#
    that apparently explains is all. I can't watch it in Australia, so if someone in the US wants to have a look and give a run down on what the deal actually is, it'd be good.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's interesting, I wonder why they decided to outsource the boss fights? They did a good job on everything else, and the bosses are the only weak spots I can think of.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    That's interesting, I wonder why they decided to outsource the boss fights? They did a good job on everything else, and the bosses are the only weak spots I can think of.

They're a company into AI, so I think they might have done more in the game, but boss fights became all their design.

Still, I don't think Eidos Montreal was as unaware as everyone makes them out to be, they most likely knew the broad strokes of the boss fights, and they always said throughout development that the bosses were the few enemies that you had to kill.

Which is the biggest offender really, the bosses themselves, while uninteresting are technically more in depth than the ones from the original, but the fact that they are more boss fights than actual characters is what makes it worse.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed, I would've loved it if the bosses were more fleshed out, maybe a couple of dialog scenes where you can really dig into their personalities and motives. Their designs point out to an interesting past, and I wish they explored that.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I think some people are annoyed because each boss should have had a personal computer which you could hack and read their saucy e-mails.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    just bought this on steam, me thinks it will be a nice filler till BF3 gets here...

hurry up download... hurry up....
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I'm having fun. Never got into the first one.. or is it the second?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the second. There is no game called Invisible War. It's a figment of everyone's delusional collective imagination
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's my eternal shame that IW was my first deus ex game.

And I liked it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's my eternal shame that IW was my first deus ex game.

And I liked it.

Happens to everyone, as an example my first and favorite ultimas are ultima 8 and 9.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Killed the first boss with the stun gun on hard difficulty. Didnt even think that would work :/
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Just finished the game and I must say it's incredibly good. Not as good as Deus Ex1 speaking of decisions you can take and how you can influence the story but still, for a fresh studio it's an achievement.

The end credits and its cheesy pictures also make it worth buying.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so started playing not taking it too seriously

the visuals at the start kind of jarr a little..

and is it me or is there alot of characters walking around with really small heads?

6 hours later Im hooked love it.. been spending all of my points on hacking and dermal armor also the speech boost.

I let the guy in the first mission live, barret was a total pain in the ass, I had no ammo left bar the 10 mm and spent ages kiting the bastard around the room trying not to die.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rolfness wrote: »
    and is it me or is there alot of characters walking around with really small heads?

I think its the jaws that are the most disturbing, some of them are nonexistant,

Adam works out great though even with the headsize.
  • seanpetitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seanpetitt polycounter lvl 14
    Dilemma:

I had high expectations for this game. I have not played through the first. The news, trailers, and gameplay really got me hyped. I love Mass Effect, and Blade Runner. It felt like this game was going to take those mediums, and mix something that would really make me love this game.

I am really disappointed, I played and got all of the endings. My friends and I (we marathoned the game two days straight) really feel like it left a bad taste in our mouth in mainly due to the endings. On the other hand, it's not the end of journey, it's the journey itself. We got sick of hacking, mainly because we're obsessive when it came to collecting things, so we kept hacking everything possible. Using the cover system was very awkward. The animation when having conversations was very jerky and over done. Like everyone had Parkinson. The story was, not that interesting and we figured out the mystery to unlocking human potential via augmentation well before that half of the game. The bad guys needed more story to make them interesting. I think, it is safe to say we had more fun being ADD and punching random people. Is that what was fun about it?

Don't take it the wrong way, I like the game, I just don't love it. So I have a lot mix feelings, so I am trying to play it a second time through in case I miss something. Plus, maybe this game was really geared to veterans of the previouse, so maybe that is another factor.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I found that if you hacked everything it was a bit too much. But I noticed that it would tell you if you went close to them, which pcs where security hubs, so I only hacked those.

Try it on hard taikerr if you haven't, I think it's a lot better on that difficulty, forces you to play smart.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, its much too easy on the other settings.

taikerr: you dont need to love it, personal preference n all that :)
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I'm tempted to play difficult as a killer... if all the other games coming out soon don't drag me away. :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Well, went past Barret in a breeze on normal difficulty... If you pack a machine gun or automatic rifle and saved up some bullets and if you can land a couple of clever head shots, the guy's seriously easy.
    All in all, I'm liking the game so far! I love sneaking around, taking out guards and the very open approach to exploration.
    The art is great, but the characters seriously put me off sometimes, especially the jerking animations. It is indeed -as someone earlier mentioned- as if they're suffering from very severe parkinson.

Too bad sniper bullets are so fucking rare!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    my first play through i was going full stealth - never be seen, never interfere with enemies. no kill, no knockout, no invisibility.

the first boss was a huge surprise. i only had a pistol on me. frustrating fight.

outside of the boss fights, i love the game.
  • Gorman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The really annoying part for me is during dialogue characters move around like they are hyper active. Every time there is a cut scene I have an overwhelming urge to quit the game...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Barret on hard required about 3 rockets and a couple of remote mines (near an explosive barrel) to sort him out.

Yes, I actually am playing stealth but happened to have that gear on me.

Really enjoying the game. I'm doing a no-kill playthrough, so it's fun working around that.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard you can play through again with all your gear and augs. Is this true?
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    if not by default - you could always use the debug mode to give it to yourself on a 2nd playthrough...
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    what the hell? Finally fixed my pc so no BSODs and went out to the shopping centre to get this game and not one retailer had copies for pc. guess i could get it off steam but now i'm takin it as a challenge to my mad shopping skillz to find a copy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a good incentive to stop being screwed over and paying Australian retail price.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On second thought, I'm not gonna play again... I've had my fill.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding an ad for SW Blueray in the update in the game loading menu? NOT COOL! :(
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I think its the jaws that are the most disturbing, some of them are nonexistant,

Adam works out great though even with the headsize.

I was looking at the characters again and they do look odd.. like someone modelled them following a stylised artwork too closely. Oh and the women have messed up boobs too.. !!

adam has messed up proportions.. with or without the jacket, torso looks way too long and arms that look like they have ball joint connections to his shoulders making him look like a action figure toy..

just killed the woman easy peasy lemon sqeezy..

loving it so far game play wise
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Adding an ad for SW Blueray in the update in the game loading menu? NOT COOL! :(
    They really did something THAT stupid?

edit: Ok, google says they did. I must've been lucky not to get that loading screen until now. God, I hate ingame ads...

edit2: http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/23/deus-ex-human-revolution-no-ads/ Well, I guess I'll try this.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    As Darth Vader would say(at least now): No!Nooooooooooooo!