• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    strength augmentation lets you increase inventory
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loved this game. GOTY 2011 for me fo' sure.

The visuals, from a technical standpoint, are rather shoddy but the magnificent art direction really makes up for it.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Andreas wrote: »
    I'm liking the game, currently in 'Shanghai'. How do I extend my inventory though? I think there should have benn at least one more row included in the default inventory size.

you can sell weapon you dont need, you can re-buy again if you really need it. i wish deus ex has inventory chest that I can stash my stuffs. for free roam rpg games with limited inventory to store in your body. that feature is must have.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Finished it last night. The final level was stunning visually. The final 'boss fight' was lame.

Makes me want to play thru the original to experience the story again and see how well the gameplay has aged.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Finished it last night. The final level was stunning visually. The final 'boss fight' was lame.

Makes me want to play thru the original to experience the story again and see how well the gameplay has aged.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I completed it on hard and I want to play it again but I'm not sure how I can make the experience different. Maybe I'll try and kill everyone this time.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    Because everyone is smart enough to know that this is just a character in a game, we can't try to be protective about every bad portrayal of someone with a certain skin-tone or gender.

But showing of african-americans as violent gun-wielding gangmembers in deus ex is totally fine? (which is by far a stronger stereotype today)

Except it wasn't the effected group, there was no unison voice, it is a minority of a few people over the portrayal of a character, not a race.

No, over the stereotype of a ancient racial supposed slurring. Amos and Andy in 2027.

I hope the term "blackface" does bring up something. But how about this. Watch Spike Lee's Bamboozled and get back to me.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C45g3YP7JOk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZ6zp-3oGY[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Once again, I get what you're talking about, but there never was any point of racism or directed stereotype behind this character in deus ex, it became a hunt for injustice, in a game that for a majority of the game portrays african americans just as anyone else.

If this was how deus ex portrayed every black inhabitant of Detroit then I would've reacted too, but the game portrays everyone as everything.

In fact, I would be fully shocked if people played the game, saw one of the black high-educated sarif employees and went "now hold on here, this isn't right".
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once again, I get what you're talking about, but there never was any point of racism or directed stereotype behind this character in deus ex,

I don't think anyone has claimed as such. What we have here is ignorant stereotyping.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Which makes more unfortunate than racist.

Also, I think this might be the infamous voiceactor behind letitia:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36WLriQXLao[/ame]
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Boss fights make me really mad. Adding them was such a strange choice... I play a stealth character and have to fight the bosses with guns? Double yew tee eff??
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    PogoP wrote: »
    Boss fights make me really mad. Adding them was such a strange choice... I play a stealth character and have to fight the bosses with guns? Double yew tee eff??

i-jJRZhDr-XL.jpg
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know its unfair to compare it but here we go : [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcnILvG9FPM[/ame]
    my favourite stealth game boss battle of all time ...

you can use any method you ever imagine in video game, to fight this boss.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    you can use any method you ever imagine in video game, to fight this boss.

Or like in deus ex 1, avoid fighting the boss at all :P
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ hahaha that would be cool too
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I had a similarly stealthy character and found that boss fight annoying too. After a few failed attempts I just hid from the boss long enough for him to not know where I was, then he just lobbed a grenade into the corner he was in and killed himself - pretty funny!
    PogoP wrote: »
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I really haven't had any trouble with the bossfights and I play a "stealthy" character. At least in the aspect that I don't usually wind up being seen.

Question for anyone who's passed the game! Is there like a..."New Game+" mode, where you can start a new game with the augmentations you unlocked from your first playthrough? I really want to play through the game again once I beat it but it would kinda stink to start from scratch again.

If not - are there cheats?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Two Listen wrote: »
    I really haven't had any trouble with the bossfights and I play a "stealthy" character. At least in the aspect that I don't usually wind up being seen.

Question for anyone who's passed the game! Is there like a..."New Game+" mode, where you can start a new game with the augmentations you unlocked from your first playthrough? I really want to play through the game again once I beat it but it would kinda stink to start from scratch again.

If not - are there cheats?

I've started my second playthrough (so I can play a more stealthy game, and take screenshots), and there wasn't any New Game+ option that retained your stats or weapons that I could see :(
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    this game is EXCELLENT. not since the first mass effect have i been so into a game(not too happy w/ME2). haven't even encountered the second boss and i've put in probably over 20 hours. makes me want to create some art. excellent job eidos montreal....EXCELLENT job.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

It's not completely bad sequences, it's just that the first game in the series set the bar so high with boss-fights you could shift around the game and make happen at different places or even kill the bosses before the boss-fights were supposed to happen, with actual in-game responses and consequences you never expected.

The other problem is that the pre-rendered sequences sets makes Adam be a different character from the one you picture him to be.

I still feel this is a proper sequel/prequel to deus ex though.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I really, really liked it (except the boss fights). I loved the slightly retro 'Square' style anime art direction on the characters. I do have a couple of niggles - which might have been mentioned before:

1/ The game should somehow warn me before opening a regular looking door which loads another area whilst I'm exploring. A couple of these in the Police Station really broke the tension/immersion.
    2/ When I break from cover over a balcony, why does my aim overshoot downwards?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Am I the only one who's game was being buggy? The second boss was fine until she suddenly decided to just stand still and have me shoot her to death. :/
    On another note(possible spoilers!);
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/317684/deus-ex-human-revolution-dlc-confirmed/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yeah she froze for me too but I noticed all bosses did that when they were close to death.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Yelena freezing up seems to be a pretty common bug. It happened in my play through and I've heard of plenty of other instances of it occurring.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not completely bad sequences, it's just that the first game in the series set the bar so high with boss-fights you could shift around the game and make happen at different places or even kill the bosses before the boss-fights were supposed to happen, with actual in-game responses and consequences you never expected.

The other problem is that the pre-rendered sequences sets makes Adam be a different character from the one you picture him to be.

I still feel this is a proper sequel/prequel to deus ex though.

Ah I see - that makes a lot of sense, and I gotta say it would be pretty sweet to be able to do things like that. There were a few instances in which the pre-rendered sequences didn't quite line up with gameplay. A few times Adam would seem shocked at learning something I'd learned ages ago from an email, or something of that nature.

I never played the original Deus Ex, this was the first one in the series for me.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Christ, these goddamn boss fights are fucking bullshit.

I spend the entire game doing primarily non-lethal stuff, sneaking around, hacking stuff, hiding unconscious guys, finding vents to crawl through and alternate routes to use so I can avoid combat, and then they plop me into an arena with a gun-toting maniac and expect that I should kill them when all my points are invested in stuff like hacking and not dying when I jump off a ledge. I keep having to drop shit and rearrange my inventory just so I can keep the gigantic fucking guns in there that I don't use except in boss fights. I swear I've died at least fifteen times in every boss fight and I haven't even beaten this latest one.

Did they even think to playtest this shit?
  • Slum
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ah I see - that makes a lot of sense, and I gotta say it would be pretty sweet to be able to do things like that. There were a few instances in which the pre-rendered sequences didn't quite line up with gameplay. A few times Adam would seem shocked at learning something I'd learned ages ago from an email, or something of that nature.

I never played the original Deus Ex, this was the first one in the series for me.

Give deus ex a fair chance whenever possible, deus ex HR is great, but deus ex is fantastic, and besides, it follows up on the story of the world :)
    Swizzle wrote: »

Which is why they made sure to fill boss areas with guns you could pick up, it's annoying to change your entire mindset of how you played the game, but it's doable without and upgrades in those areas.

EMP's are useful for these annoying encounters.
    Slum wrote: »

I gave out the most heartly lol!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Debug mode mode has been released from Gibbed.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=121245

great way of ruining your game for you :)
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I spend the entire game doing primarily non-lethal stuff, sneaking around, hacking stuff, hiding unconscious guys, finding vents to crawl through and alternate routes to use so I can avoid combat, and then they plop me into an arena with a gun-toting maniac and expect that I should kill them when all my points are invested in stuff like hacking and not dying when I jump off a ledge. I keep having to drop shit and rearrange my inventory just so I can keep the gigantic fucking guns in there that I don't use except in boss fights. I swear I've died at least fifteen times in every boss fight and I haven't even beaten this latest one.

You really having that much trouble with it? I played pretty similarly except minus the hacking. I killed each of the 3 bosses I've encountered so far with a revolver and a few grenades. I've never even picked up a gun bigger than the revolver because I didn't want to take up the inventory space. Also don't underestimate your stealth - even for bossfights. Throwing a grenade, stealth + relocate as it goes off can be a good tactic.

Eld, I'll be sure to pick up the other Deus Ex next time I see a sale on Steam. Sounds interesting. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You really having that much trouble with it? I played pretty similarly except minus the hacking. I killed each of the 3 bosses I've encountered so far with a revolver and a few grenades. I've never even picked up a gun bigger than the revolver because I didn't want to take up the inventory space. Also don't underestimate your stealth - even for bossfights. Throwing a grenade, stealth + relocate as it goes off can be a good tactic.

Eld, I'll be sure to pick up the other Deus Ex next time I see a sale on Steam. Sounds interesting. :)

PM me your email, i have a steam gift copy doing nothing.
  • Serp
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

cheap way no lethal gun or upgrade needed : ( warning ,roll over your mouse to spoiler bar will ruin your epic headache game experience)
    first boss fight : stun gun him then throw barrel like donkey kong
    second boss fight : stun gun to death / P.e.S. to death, she really suck at any stuff related to emp or electricity
    third boss fight : punch him in the face and you are done
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r: a spare copy?! and here I am watching everyone else play it cause i'm broke hah

Looks pretty damn cool from the vids/pics i've seen.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    1st boss. 10 stun gun shots and he was down + lol
    I can say, punching the 3rd boss does not work, got my ass handed too me, as with all the other bosses.
    Easiest weapon, is fully modded revolver with explosive rounds

I got creative with the 3rd boss, and hacked the turret prior to the fight, and brought the turret with me, and let it do all the work.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Carrying a hacked turret around is great for clearing a room - plus you get some cover by being behind it. Makes you feel like an ED 209.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well crap, I'm in the same situation as PVP. 1st Boss and I got ninja skills which help me naught. Dont have the strength to throw things. Don't have a stun gun. Just the tranq rifle.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    throw an emp nade at him, throw red barrels and the gas canisters. you can hide from him, use your stealth cloak if you need to dart around, there's an emp nade in one of the little rooms at either end along with guns and ammo if you need them.

but main trick is to just emp him to keep him still, then throw barrels like donkey kong, works a treat. i am pure stealth build and it took me a few attempts because the ps3 controller is not made for the finesse required to pick up tiny objects whilst panicking.

totally doable with a stealth build.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Rwolf wrote: »
    I can say, punching the 3rd boss does not work, got my ass handed too me, as with all the other bosses.
    You can, you just need to do it when he's not expecting it, just as he's hopping over a wall. I could post a video, but it'd be a bit spoilery
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I was a pure stealth build and I was able to take him down using guns. Shoot at his head, cloak, move to a different cover and repeat. The trick is to keep moving, don't let him get close to you. Even without shield augs you should be able to survive getting hit when running between covers.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I just ran around the room using pillars as cover, all the time shooting him in the face with the assault rifle.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Well crap, I'm in the same situation as PVP. 1st Boss and I got ninja skills which help me naught. Dont have the strength to throw things. Don't have a stun gun. Just the tranq rifle.

In the corner room there are mines and EMP nades. EMP + shoot to face = win. Pick up the exploding barrels and chuck them at him
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Haha I did the same thing with the vending machine, though I only killed the guy who said it would be tragic.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »

concussion and emp grenades will help a lot. if you stun Barret from cover he will continue to fire at the last position he saw you at, regardless of where you are currently. great for regaining health.

electro: too late im afraid, Two Listen is now the proud owner :). sorry dude.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r: np :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Also, he was gifting the original deus ex, not human revolution :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it didn't work for me. I had to figure out another way. Here is what I figured out after about 7 tries.
    In the left hand closet/room where all those weapons are when you first enter, you can jump ontop of the crate just inside to the right of the door. If you do that, the boss wont enter the room. The worse he can do is chuck grenades in that area. If you play your cards right and he doesn't get a lucky grenade chuck off (which happened :( ). When he leaves the area, you can shoot him from behind. Then hide again in that corner. Rinse and repeat till you get all his energy down.

Has anyone experienced the tranq rifle killing a person? I was doing the Double T?D? Quest and shot one of the guys with it. It showed him as dead. The next guy I shot with it showed asleep. I reloaded save and switched targets with same results. Its like the first shot was deadly or something.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Yes, I already mentioned that on last page. It's bizarre.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started playing through my copy, fun game so far.

The environment art is absolutely beautiful, even on console.