xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    you can shoot the door to destroy it.

tough i never do that,:p
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    I only finished it so fast because im off work(and its one of those games that keeps you up at night). It took me 46 hours according to steam. you could finish it much faster but you'd miss alot.

Well, 46 hours is a lot for me :) and that's great!, so i will surely be buying the game in a few months. I bought recently red faction armageddon and i only spent 3 days, 6 hours in total :(, great game but very short damn.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Wait, what, you can blow doors down?
    most of them.

flaagan: I think its so you wont die if your energy is low and you fall. Gotta say I love pouncing on enemies from above.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Just finished it. My take on it:

I thought it had some of the best environment work I've ever seen. Might not be us to the visual quality of some of the UE3 games, or Crysis. But the consistency of design in the environments, with all of the detail they managed to cram into them, is something I've never seen anywhere else. The China levels being some of my favourite, there - So much personality in these environments, that every env artist on these boards should go through and take notes.

I'd go as far as saying this game has one of the best soundtracks in any game or film I've experienced. Massive kudos to McCann. He knocked it out of the park.

I got a kick out of noticing references. There were tannoy announcements for Dekard. Mitnick was in an email. There were a couple of the first game's music tracks playing over the radios.

The game has some negatives: (Don't read the rest of this paragraph if it comes up in your email nofication!)
    I didn't like how you find Malik's body in the Harvester's underground base. I thought the reunion between Jenson and Megan Reed was wholly underwhelming, with no conclusion. Bleh! All of the bosses seemed really two dimensional, and pretty easy once you figure out a good tactic.

With Deus Ex being my #1 game, I'm not sure this beats it. It's a very close #2, if not it's equal.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU[/ame]

Edit: I haven't really posted about the game itself yet, but loving it. A lot.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    As always, I didn't get any Augs till I got fustrated with mrs. invisible. In the end, I still had a ton of augs to use on my first playthrough.
    I lol'ed at the end credits hidden ending, now where is my original copy of DeusEx :(
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished it, have to agree with glynnsmith's gripes. The "CASIE" system along with the chat trees was nice, though some could have been fleshed out a bit more. A number of the augs just never had to be used, even the Icarus system really didn't come into being needed until towards the end.

See what all the augs were before you could get them was nice, but was also kind of left out the "really think hard about what to aug" decision the original gave you. Granted, I do not miss being limited to aug'ing what you can find around the environment.

Compared to the original DE, HR's environments felt somewhat limiting. The sniper rifle never felt necessary. The multiple-paths always seemed to converge on the same point, so it didn't always feel like you'd chose a different option from the obvious. Despite an older view of 'the future', the more lived-in world of the original felt bigger and better.

Overall, though, badass game.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Why they ditched the lockpick and multitool tho? :(
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I didn't like how you find Malik's body in the Harvester's underground base.
    Maybe you should have saved her then. I thought that was a brilliant moment. A real gut punch for failing to defend your friend. Granted saving her isn't exactly an easy thing to pull off, particularly if you're not well equipped for the onslaught, but it's quite achievable with a bit of strategy and a few reloads

I'm with you on the other point though.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Maybe you should have saved her then. I thought that was a brilliant moment. A real gut punch for failing to defend your friend. Granted saving her isn't exactly an easy thing to pull off, particularly if you're not well equipped for the onslaught, but it's quite achievable with a bit of strategy and a few reloads

I hated that bit, made me pretty pissed off actually. I wouldnt change it though I think it was the right thing to do.

I totally agree about the end with Megan, the 'im getting my team to safety' thing was also quite annoying. I would have prefered it to have some cutscene in the VTOL with them fleshing things out a bit. the rocket was cool but felt totally pointless.

RWolf go to the Deus Ex site and 'Like It' that'll get you unlock codes for both DE 1 & 2

did anyone see the 'lets go see Episode 9 tonight' email. that gave me a chuckle.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Grr that invisible boss is a pain. I think I was just tired but I reckon I can do it now.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Had no idea you could do that! :( It was a gutpunch. Really pissed me off.
    So I dragged her into Tong's office and left her right infront of him. Hah!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi wrote: »
    Grr that invisible boss is a pain. I think I was just tired but I reckon I can do it now.

which one?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The female boss with the thermoptic camo is the hardest thing in the game by a huge margin. I actually some how wound up breaking the AI so that she just stopping moving with her arms in the air. I thought about reloading it and doing it properly, but for my money the boss fights are kind of rubbish and don't fit all that well into the game so I decided I was happy enough just moving on.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The female boss with the thermoptic camo is the hardest thing in the game by a huge margin. I actually some how wound up breaking the AI so that she just stopping moving with her arms in the air. I thought about reloading it and doing it properly, but for my money the boss fights are kind of rubbish and don't fit all that well into the game so I decided I was happy enough just moving on.

yeah i actually had to load a really old save to change my augs so i could get past her. very annoying. were it any other game id probably just have left it there. Once i had the typhoon I killed her in the first few seconds of the fight
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

electrify her to death with emp grenade or emp shotgun.
    or let her use her typhoon near electric swich/fuse near the pillar. that will roast her real good. shoot while she shakin.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you keep yourself from getting electrocuted with her?

I ended up just having to fight her by pelting her in the face with bullets while she chased me around the inner circle, sprinting away during typhoon and doing my best to chase her down while she was invisible. Every time I fought her around the outer ring when the circuits blew I got electrocuted and for the life of me couldn't find a safe spot to stand.

All the boss fights were really stupid for me because I specced all of my augs into hacking/takedown/stealth shit which are obviously completely useless in a fight with a boss. I didn't even have typhoon until the end of the game.

Edit: Also my inventory was filled with tranq darts and stun gun ammo, my only lethal weapon was the pistol and a bunch of frag grenades so I had to run around the room picking shit out of lockers and dropping things on the floor.

TL;DR: Fuck that boss.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For that boss you're standing in very shallow water, so you can track her by looking for ripples on the floor.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    electrify her to death with emp grenade or emp shotgun.
    or let her use her typhoon near electric swich/fuse near the pillar. that will roast her real good. shoot while she shakin.

The thing is allot of folks didn't opt for dermal armour as it adds nothing to the stealthy approach, so you get in a situation where if you blow the power points they do more damage to you than they do to her. Also her initial attack after the movie can be hard to escape and instantly kills you if you don't have armour. after that fight i upped my armour to protect against electric, it really paid off later on.

Glynn: also turning off the music is a big help.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the easiest way to dodge her typhoons was to just hug a pillar and sprint around the corner when she got in range to use it as the damage doesn't appear to go through obstacles.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah she was hard with no dermal armor, but EMP mines and point blank heavy rifle did the job on hard, also electrifying the water and jumping 3m in the air like an idiot to avoid taking too much damage all the while eating painkillers helped (kinda ruins the badass image of the character when you imaging him doing that :D).
    About saving Malik, I haven't quite finished the game, but this was the best part for me at the moment, really challenging and fun to find the right way to kill all the enemies in time, wish there were more moments like this in the game, as it's pretty easy otherwise, even on hard.

Great game so far anyways, and I agree about the designs, some very nice env art later on, even if Detroit doesn't quite live up to the Chinese city.
    The character art is a mixed bag though, the main characters are ok, but some of the less important ones are quite ugly.
    Also the skinning work is pretty rough (lots of interpenetration, and collars moving with heads when there's no contact etc).

At this point I hope they milk the franchise a bit more and do a fourth game.
  • jayoplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    About saving Malik, I haven't quite finished the game, but this was the best part for me at the moment, really challenging and fun to find the right way to kill all the enemies in time, wish there were more moments like this in the game, as it's pretty easy otherwise, even on hard.
    It is a lot harder to do, but it is even possible to save her without killing the enemies (ie using the tranq. - thereby getting the achievement for not killing any enemies :))
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    My god, this game. So good.

That Malik scene was great, I was running on some Batman shit trying to
    save her
  • rebb
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    jayoplus wrote: »
    It is a lot harder to do, but it is even possible to save her without killing the enemies (ie using the tranq. - thereby getting the achievement for not killing any enemies :))

Oh yeah that's what I meant actually, did it that way as well, guess it would be easier otherwise. :)

Rebb, hah, love the bit with the guy suffocating in the background. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it just me or do the majority of the grenades look like they would go unnoticed in a mans bath bag. Explosive aftershave!
    aftershave.JPG
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hated that bit, made me pretty pissed off actually. I wouldnt change it though I think it was the right thing to do.

I totally agree about the end with Megan, the 'im getting my team to safety' thing was also quite annoying. I would have prefered it to have some cutscene in the VTOL with them fleshing things out a bit. the rocket was cool but felt totally pointless.

RWolf go to the Deus Ex site and 'Like It' that'll get you unlock codes for both DE 1 & 2

did anyone see the 'lets go see Episode 9 tonight' email. that gave me a chuckle.

That part pissed me off since I also lost my pilot in the original DE. I knew there was something wrong cause I found the knock-out technician, but didn't know that you were supposed to attack the 'fake' tech. I have a hard time believing you could save her without killing anyone, I'd barely made it down to the same level as the attackers and she was gone....
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    That part pissed me off since I also lost my pilot in the original DE. I knew there was something wrong cause I found the knock-out technician, but didn't know that you were supposed to attack the 'fake' tech. I have a hard time believing you could save her without killing anyone, I'd barely made it down to the same level as the attackers and she was gone....

its definitely possible.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGT4fve9Wa4[/ame]
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ man that ace~ ! i play exclusively stealthy and non lethal, but
    i just go rage and kill everyone when those guyz trying to touch the lady !
  • Andreas
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletch.. one.. holy crap....
    two.. he must have been playing on easy difficulty, only explanation for why he wasn't mauled to death the instant he stepped out.
    three... really tempted to play from that point again and try to save her (assuming I still have the save game).
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got home, tried out that location a few times, may have to load a save game just prior to it to prep properly (think I wasted precious time before the save). I've already beaten the game, but this bit aught to be a fun challenge.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    It's definitely possible, I was able to do it on hard, non lethal, after a few tries. Used mostly the stun gun though, and threw an explosive barrel on the big mech. The idea is to take out the big guns as fast as possible, as the snipers don't seam to deal much damage to the ship.
    Really wish there were more parts like this, it was quite intense.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Finished it last night. Brilliant game but I was disappointed with the ending.
    I didn't like how open it left it. I wanted a little closure as to Adam and Dr Reed, Sarif and Prichard. I always felt like Sarif had more to offer and I never did trust him. I also didn't like how the four endings were all neatly lined up next to each other. Pick a button and watch a video! When I first heard of the multiple endings I assumed it'd be like Chrono Trigger or Fallout 3 where your actions affect the outcome aka what if I killed Tagart or whether I left my pilot to die etc. It would have been nice to just have a summary of what your actions did for others. "I abused my powers, stole from my co-workers, killed many civilians all because of Augs and lost the faith of my friends." vs "I kept my humanity despite being augmented and Dr Reed and I got engaged or something."

By the way I never did finish Deus Ex 1 so perhaps there's more to the ending that I am aware of.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Finished it last night. Brilliant game but I was disappointed with the ending.
    I didn't like how open it left it. I wanted a little closure as to Adam and Dr Reed, Sarif and Prichard. I always felt like Sarif had more to offer and I never did trust him. I also didn't like how the four endings were all neatly lined up next to each other. Pick a button and watch a video! When I first heard of the multiple endings I assumed it'd be like Chrono Trigger or Fallout 3 where your actions affect the outcome aka what if I killed Tagart or whether I left my pilot to die etc. It would have been nice to just have a summary of what your actions did for others. "I abused my powers, stole from my co-workers, killed many civilians all because of Augs and lost the faith of my friends." vs "I kept my humanity despite being augmented and Dr Reed and I got engaged or something."

By the way I never did finish Deus Ex 1 so perhaps there's more to the ending that I am aware of.

Not really, you hit the nail on the spot with those crits, and I tottaly agree.

Still, this for me ranks as one of the best games I've played.

Btw, I might decide to do a 100% stealth and non lethal playtrhough later, does anyone know if I turn the bots or turrets against enemies, does that count as a kill caused by me?
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I'm playing it on hard and it's great. I really recommend this difficulty level if you want a great deus ex experience. It forces you to really make the most out of being stealthy and using your tools.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Oh yeah did any of the console players shoot the basketball into the net in Detroit? I knew they'd stick an achievement there because of the 1st game :D

I think I'll replay it with a more aggressive build this time. I was always sneaking, hacking and while it paid off, I always yearned to go nuts and it wasn't till the last area that I did.
    Anyone get a little scared of the last section too? Maybe it was because it was 2am but I didn't expect Deus Ex to turn into crazy zombie like humans from hell. If it wasn't for the radar I'd probably have been more frightened.

Oh and the credits were pretty awesome. Love the extension to the original theme song and the pictures of the devs.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9AfunLQfAc[/ame]
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi: I was scared of the mobs at first, until I brought out the minigun :D
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they did the ladies restroom joke! No shannon though.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sometimes it feels like Deus Ex says "you can play any way you like, as long as you like to play stealth"

I wish there was game ai that would treat a huge explosion deep within a base as an actual threat (I blew up the walker mech early in the game with the missile launcher). I'd like to play Arnold Schwarzenegger stealthy - sneak around enough so you can make a pickup truck crash into the compound and take advantage of the chaos.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin, have you tried distracting the guards with turrets and mechs? I like to pick off enemies using the rifle when they're busy dealing with a hulking robot shooting at them. That was the closest I got to a Arnold run.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes it feels like Deus Ex says "you can play any way you like, as long as you like to play stealth"

Then they stick you infront of a boss where stealth is completely useless :P
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36981/Square_Enix_Responds_To_Allegations_Of_Racist_Character_In_Human_Revolution.php

HAHA! I knew this would be a controversy! Anyone else talk to this character? Both the script and voice over were cartoonishly bad and cringe-worthy!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Yep.. i did talk to her... pretty useless info, cuz i talked to her after i was completely done with all the side quests of Detroit and was ready to leave town. I did find the beer that she likes, so i am saving that in my inventory in case i meet her again. :D

After i talked to her, i did find out i could go through the garbage... i found a protein bar and ate it. Felt like a bum... but then i felt better when i took it out on some bad guys later in the game.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36981/Square_Enix_Responds_To_Allegations_Of_Racist_Character_In_Human_Revolution.php

HAHA! I knew this would be a controversy! Anyone else talk to this character? Both the script and voice over were cartoonishly bad and cringe-worthy!

yeah, there's some bad voice acting in this game. After listening to GiantBomb talk about it I can't get over David Sarif's surfer accent.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    argb.jpg

arg2.jpg

arg3i.jpg

arg4.jpg

Anyone been following this? I have no idea what this is all about.
    http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=120594
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yo never done it right with some specific race character. ( yo know what im talking about)

never

ever
    ever .... lets exclude in next game because we are not good making it ...
    oh wait that racism too.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it just me or do the majority of the grenades look like they would go unnoticed in a mans bath bag. Explosive aftershave!
    aftershave.JPG

Wait... smoke grenades....?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    yo never done it right with some specific race character. ( yo know what im talking about)

never

ever
    ever .... lets exclude in next game because we are not good making it ...
    oh wait that racism too.

wait is that supposed to be how a black person talks? Maybe there's a need for culture consultants that studios can hire. Also, use more contractions when writing American dialogue.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the way they potray shanghai people is completely inaccurate .

but the article " "embodies a strain of racist stereotype that renders black people as less than human, as the worst that society has to offer."
    its a bit too much. for stylized game like deus ex.
    the npc quality sure it not that good compared to yakuza 4 , but eventually if they continue to hire more character artist, voice actor, and animator , it would be better in next sequel.