Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're still using the nif format, I'm trying to get some info on this.
    Pretty cool and pretty scary. The game will be flooded with ports of ports of disgraces to art. To each their own, i know, but i start to feel shame when i talk about modding these games.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Wow, freaking adore their terrain to pieces. I had to put it as my desktop!
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    As nice as that terrain looks, why is it that the water still doesn't reflect trees?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice work geezus, and I do see tree reflections.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »

I don't really see tree reflections, but then again, realtime reflections like that just wouldn't be possible I don't think. They probably used a generic cubemap reflection for the water. Completely logical IMO.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD wrote: »

kinda looks like it but i think thats just the plants underwater your seeing.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like a terrain but no object reflection, meaning, landscape, but no trees.

You could set it to anything on the pc though, so no worries there.

Still, good to use cheap tricks, screenshot looks great.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    eld wrote: »
    It looks like a terrain but no object reflection, meaning, landscape, but no trees.

You could set it to anything on the pc though, so no worries there.

Still, good to use cheap tricks, screenshot looks great.

ah I guess I must've been seeing the lighter dirt vs the dark rocks.
  • Geezus
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Orcs and khajiit! oh my.

screenshot_252348.jpg

screenshot_252350.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The new screens are so sexy. The environment and armor in that shot with the Orc are just gorgeous.
  • Geezus
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    So, I'm just going to go ahead and say what's been on my mind since I first heard about this game.

Skyrim is going to be the best game ever.

Seriously, I am building my wife a new computer - hopefully by the time the game comes out, just so that she can enjoy this game with me.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Geez not only will I be bankrupt in the fall but I will have no time to play this and battlefield 3 :(
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I am definetely intrigued and hopefull for this. They've finally changed around the stats system got rid of the waste(I hated the Oblivion one). I like how you can pick abilities from the sky.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    need some argonian love! Hope they got rid of the toads from oblivion and went back to the lizard like things.
    looks like they brought back tattoos and maybe added scars!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Green Emperor Way Where Tower Touches Midday Sun.

Argonanians anyone? That Orc and Khajiit look perfect, and not all bloated like before... Wonder how intense the character customization is...

YES HONKYPUNCH, you beat me to it brother.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Skyrim is going to be the best game ever.

tumblr_lazw0p6WrO1qe0eclo1_r9_500.gif
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Honestly, it's getting better and better. It has that Morrowindish feel that wasn't really there in the Oblivion. Can't wait. I hope that my PC will run it :poly142: I doubt I will find the cash to upgrade it, being a poor student and all that.

One thing keeps bothering me. Why is ambient lighting so dark? I feel that those harsh, pitch black shadows are really holding the overall look down. Could this be due to the art direction?

I mean it's a bit strange, considering how nice outdoor environments look like. Compared to the underground shots (Khajiit, skeletons) they look like from a different game.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    what's most exciting to me about this game is the fact that it's more nordic ala CONAN(todd howard has even stated it's a bit more conan-esque). i loved oblivion...but taking some of the high fantasy out of a game like this makes me all giddy inside.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, it's getting better and better. It has that Morrowindish feel that wasn't really there in the Oblivion. Can't wait. I hope that my PC will run it :poly142: I doubt I will find the cash to upgrade it, being a poor student and all that.

One thing keeps bothering me. Why is ambient lighting so dark? I feel that those harsh, pitch black shadows are really holding the overall look down. Could this be due to the art direction?

I mean it's a bit strange, considering how nice outdoor environments look like. Compared to the underground shots (Khajiit, skeletons) they look like from a different game.

Well since this game is running on the same hardware that oblivion ran on, I'm guessing on PC it won't be too far off either.

As for the art-style; I'm guessing with the heavy contrasted shadows that they are fans of frazetta, considering his connection to conan.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the quality of art between the environments and the characters is absolutely shocking.
    and what is up with the lighting? the khajiit in the temple has so much brightness coming from the rocks, they look like they're actually giving off light.
    and the orc in the (supposedly) misty, dark, and dank forest, has a glowing tree behind him!
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    the khajiit in the temple has so much brightness coming from the rocks, they look like they're actually giving off light.
    Bloom :P
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    the quality of art between the environments and the characters is absolutely shocking.
    and what is up with the lighting? the khajiit in the temple has so much brightness coming from the rocks, they look like they're actually giving off light.
    and the orc in the (supposedly) misty, dark, and dank forest, has a glowing tree behind him!

You've never seen bloom? There is quite a big difference between something that actually emits light, and light reflecting off a surface. Bloom is just a cheap method to make something look prettier. If used right, it gives a scene a very dreamy feel to it. Look at oblivion:

Oblivion3.jpg

I actually like bloom! :D So far, I'm impressed with the quality of the outdoor scenes! <3 Trees.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you f-ing kidding me? Really....DirectX 9......come the hell on. I'm still going to buy it but this makes me very disappointed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/20/skyrim-mostly-a-directx-9-game-pc-mods-could-make-it-to-conso/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    What a travesty! all they had to do was add two extra X's!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Nemlet17: Did you honestly expect anything else but DX9? As long as the Xbox360 is around, any multiconsole + PC game will be DirectX9 driven, period.
    And we won't see DX11 games on the PC soon either, seeing that Microsoft limited it's use to only win7 (ie. not the majority of windows users).

Either way, dem Khajiit are looking sexy! If you're into furries that is. :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Aboslute thing of beauty!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    what will I do without my real-time tessellation ?
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    That's not entirely true Maph, Battlefield 3 for the PC was designed specifically for DX11 and isn't even planned to support XP/DX9. Hopefully the Joystiq article is a slight misquote and we will have at least some DX11 features that users with the tech can take advantage of. It still looks amazing either way, but the more support for 64 bit systems the better.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Maph wrote: »
    And we won't see DX11 games on the PC soon either, seeing that Microsoft limited it's use to only win7 (ie. not the majority of windows users).

According to steam vista+win7 is currently majority over XP.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Still, I couldn't care any less about the lack of directx11 features in skyrim, Anyone on these forums should know that artwork will be more important than a few forced features.

Perfectly amazingly beautiful games can be made using just the directx9 featureset.

To really make use of directx11 you'd really want to base your artwork and pipeline around it.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Or, you could just use OpenGL and not be forced to choose which segment of the market you want to cut off by choosing DX9 or DX10/11. Honestly, DirectX was the worst thing that happened to games. The last time I checked, OpenGL isn't tied to a particular version of Windows.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »
    Or, you could just use OpenGL and not be forced to choose which segment of the market you want to cut off by choosing DX9 or DX10/11. Honestly, DirectX was the worst thing that happened to games. The last time I checked, OpenGL isn't tied to a particular version of Windows.

Actually, direct3d made sure that gpu-manufacturers have the required features as requested by a certain version, or the manufacturer cannot say they officially support it.

opengl did not, until recently.

The lack of releases on mac and linux isn't because they are using directx, it's because the marketshare isn't big enough for them, since they _are_ using an alternative to directx already when doing the ps3 port.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Maph wrote: »
    Nemlet17: Did you honestly expect anything else but DX9? As long as the Xbox360 is around.

QFT
    Anyway this game looks ace, I think dx9 games can look awesome, this is totally just my opinion but I think the newer games(regardless of how many x's or gls) mostly look good because of good lighting tech and lighting artists and the rendering of shaders so that normal maps dont have horrible black shadows and plastic highlights.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I may have been a little harsh but still, it's 2011 and I think games should be using the latest in the tech department. It doesn't change my opinion about the game, I just would like to have seen someone actually use it, Bethesda. XP is becoming obsolete, I mean BF3 won't even support on that OS, which I'm glad...it's time for the upgrade, the next step. Plus, tessellation in Skyrim would have been gorgeous. Regardless it will be beautiful, just stirring the pot a little :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    doesn't the 360 gpu have a bit of an extended feature-set beyond directx9?

for example: the xenos has a unified shading architecture, directx9 gpus do not.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    eld wrote: »
    Actually, direct3d made sure that gpu-manufacturers have the required features as requested by a certain version, or the manufacturer cannot say they officially support it.

opengl did not, until recently.

The lack of releases on mac and linux isn't because they are using directx, it's because the marketshare isn't big enough for them, since they _are_ using an alternative to directx already when doing the ps3 port.

That doesn't justify the fact that Microsoft uses Direct X to force gamers to constantly upgrade to the latest flavor of Windows to keep up with the API technology when in all honesty, they could make it work for XP. It's just planned obsolescence. Graphics API's should be open standards, because that works best for cross-platform compatibility. MS has always been trying to get us all to do it "their way" to make us dependent on their products.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I'm still on Win 3.11! I refuse to upgrade for a proprietary Graphics API! ...well Civ 2 is still a cool game and WinG rocks! *cough*

seriously, why blame MS when everyone else is doing it? 3ds max, ZBrush, Windows, OS X, etc. New features means "buy a new version" in most cases. It's not like new video cards or new games render your system unusable. Every current game and video card still works just as fine in DX9 under XP... who's forcing you to upgrade other than your own desire to have the newest shizznit as free upgrade to your, what 7 years, old OS?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    Yes I may have been a little harsh but still, it's 2011 and I think games should be using the latest in the tech department. It doesn't change my opinion about the game, I just would like to have seen someone actually use it, Bethesda. XP is becoming obsolete, I mean BF3 won't even support on that OS, which I'm glad...it's time for the upgrade, the next step. Plus, tessellation in Skyrim would have been gorgeous. Regardless it will be beautiful, just stirring the pot a little :)

Thats a silly way to think. "hey our game uses DX11! and only 5% or less gamers can actually play, yeah!"

The constant need to upgrade your computer is one of the causes of the decline in PC gaming. People dont like having to upgrade there computers every few years to play new games. The general population dosnt follow the upgrade your computer every 2 to 3 years like we and other hard core gamers do.

Gameplay > Graphics

EDIT: Lets not derail this thread with a blame such and such for such and such reasons about such and such. Keep it on Skyrim. Game is looking fantastic. Cant wait to see a gameplay section playthrough video to see real time combat/animation/spells/facial animations.

Super excited! :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »
    That doesn't justify the fact that Microsoft uses Direct X to force gamers to constantly upgrade to the latest flavor of Windows to keep up with the API technology when in all honesty, they could make it work for XP. It's just planned obsolescence. Graphics API's should be open standards, because that works best for cross-platform compatibility. MS has always been trying to get us all to do it "their way" to make us dependent on their products.

Except game developers won't fully go that way unless they know their whole market has that latest OS, so people haven't been forced to move to vista/win7, they've done it for other reasons.

It's only now when a majority of users are on vista/win7 that we're starting to see games fully use dx10.

Developers chose their markets, they aren't unwillingly locked in, it's not hard to bring a product to other platforms if it was worth it
    (as mentioned with ps3 which is a wildly different beast from using directx, yet developers are doing it)

And back on track:

Artwork > technology

And back on true track:

I want to see some inventory!
  • Geezus
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha barmy thanks for linking :P
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    fucking clumsy barbers.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Never let a horned helmet shirtless guy shave your beaver...

Err, that may have come out wrong...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaha. That's great.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Great link Andreas!
    Luvvin' that giant frostbite spider!
    sky1big.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This game... I hope it's all its being built up to be....
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    graphics is great, but i personally hope they'll return those strong feel and mood, which was in Morrowind.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    New interview with Todd Howard. Some things you know, some things you may not. The site took awhile to load, for me.

http://www.gameswelt.tv/19748/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/video-interview-mit-todd-howard.html