Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Not sure if anyone's seen these yet:

http://gamersheep.com/2011/07/6-new-skyrim-screenshots/

Just a few new screenshots.

I really wish I could get the collectors edition, mostly for the art book, but I think I'll have to pass up that price tag.

There hasn't been any news on spellcrafting that I've missed, right?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Is it just me, or do some of those shots look absolutely terrible? O_o
    I mean, even oblivion looked better than some of those...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I thought the same thing :(

Then metalliandy linked me to this, and everything was ok again.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The outdoor shots are amazing, but anything indoor doesn't look too hot. I think it's just the lighting or lack of post.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think part of what bugs me in some of the screens is it seems like there's a bad habit of releasing outdoor images taken at "noon", which doesn't show off much of the neat new shadows I know are there. (The two shots below thankfully don't suffer from that so much.)

Though another part of me is actually glad, because it's going to be so much more fun going through and discovering the awesome sights on my own, rather than having a screenshot "spoil" it for me.

Here's a couple other screens I found earlier but forgot weren't in that link I posted before:

femaledragonarmor1.jpg

dragonruinspan01.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    This engine doesn't look like a huge improvement over the other one.. Sometimes it looks incredible but other times it looks awful and fullbright-esque!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I got to agree. As much as I want to play Skyrim, I have to admit that some of these screenshots looks just bad.

But it looks like lighting is the main suspect here; I can see the shadows in all indoor shots, but it looks like their keylights are just so strong that they wash everything them out. I guess I can't blame them, after all they have hundreds of indoor areas.

But...that's something that can be modded :poly142:
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    lots of brown color in the game
    Skyrim-screen3.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »
    lots of brown color in the game
    Skyrim-screen3.jpg

This COULD be a cool screenshot. But I can hardly see any shadows, barely any SSAO, a blatantly obvious seam on the carpet next to the left of the character, and all the lighting just seems incredibly flat and boring. I'm hoping that this is a screenshot taken on a lower-spec computer, with the visuals toned down. The lighting is SO flat, that the normal maps are barely discernible on the environment props and walls/floors. The lighting could have been baked into the diffuse and it probably wouldn't look any different. :(
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah art is awesome but lighting is pretty much non-existent on this particular screen. Almost like 3d app viewport screengrab with default light hovering near camera.

Other screens look cool, but it seems to me they are not tone-mapping. Lots of blown-out and clipped colors.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    What is up with these screens. So flat and seamy. Well it will still be fun regardless of visuals, Oblivion is still fun.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I'm kind of surprised they don't do any model swapping for the first person view either to get higher res weapons and 'arms'...Maybe that's because they wanted you to scroll seamlessly from 3rd to 1st person views, or ... maybe that means there's actually so many types of arms and armor that it wasn't feasible to model high res LODs. Of course, given Bethesda's track record on armor variety I'm not expecting much...
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Nobody noticed his left arm is intersecting the hammer's hilt? How could they release such a screenshot duh
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    shotgun wrote: »
    Nobody noticed his left arm is intersecting the hammer's hilt? How could they release such a screenshot duh

Probably marketing people taking screenshots
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12

THis is so funny to me, lol man *fist bump*
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    there's a 40 minute demo from quakecom here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkefdc_1_news

not sure how long it will be up
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    shotgun wrote: »

Remember when they released that first batch of Tomb Raider screens and had that awful, awful weight and deformation on her elbow
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    One of the screenshots id released for Rage -- while explicitly talking up how awesome the animation system was and how characters interacted in the world -- had a characters foot going straight into the floor.

I was going to make a point with that but, actually, it's just a funny observation. Too many possible reasons to jump to conclusions.

With Bethesda though, things are a little different. Bethesda has never been strong on the art side... or the tecnical side, or even the design side. Bethesda's strength is in one thing and one thing only: "Look how big and ambitious everything is!"

I mean seriously, what's the big selling point about Skyrim? It's got BIG DRAGONS! UNLIMITED BIG DRAGONS!

And Oblivion/Fallout 3's selling point was that they had BIG WORLDS!

So what happens is the art is mostly shoddily made, sometimes getting the job done and sometimes not. The gameplay systems are horrendously broken, sometimes being passable when taken as a whole and sometimes not. The writing is shite, sometimes being mediocre enough to not ruin things and sometimes not.

But you walk out into the BIG world and see the BIG dragon and holy shit this game is BIG!

Bethesda is the Hollywood of gaming.
    Skyrim = Transformers

(it would be great if I were wrong!)
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oblivion/Fallout 3's selling points were that they were 2 of the most immersive and fun games I've ever played.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc wrote: »
    One of the screenshots id released for Rage -- while explicitly talking up how awesome the animation system was and how characters interacted in the world -- had a characters foot going straight into the floor.

I was going to make a point with that but, actually, it's just a funny observation. Too many possible reasons to jump to conclusions.

With Bethesda though, things are a little different. Bethesda has never been strong on the art side... or the tecnical side, or even the design side. Bethesda's strength is in one thing and one thing only: "Look how big and ambitious everything is!"

I mean seriously, what's the big selling point about Skyrim? It's got BIG DRAGONS! UNLIMITED BIG DRAGONS!

So what happens is the art is mostly shoddily made, sometimes getting the job done and sometimes not. The gameplay systems are horrendously broken, sometimes being passable when taken as a whole and sometimes not. The writing is shite, sometimes being mediocre enough to not ruin things and sometimes not.

But you walk out into the BIG world and see the BIG dragon and holy shit this game is BIG!

Skyrim = Transformers

I strongly disagree. Bethesda's games have been the most immersive games I've ever played. Morrowind, was incredible, Oblivion was a great game as well, though not quite as immersive as Morrowind was. But at the time, Oblivion was jaw-droppingly beautiful. While the animations sucked, the art side of things was pretty freakin' sweet. Bethesda has a knack for lore as well.

It is pretty obvious that wide, open-world games are much more difficult to debug and fix technical issues. On the art side, it also requires ALOT more work. You can't spend as much time on an asset in such games, as you can on small corridor shooters.

The big selling point for skyrim? Badass vikings, exploring mountain ranges, yeti's, awesome magic abilities and obviously, you get to kill dragons and steal their mojo. :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

Skyrim = Transformers

not sure if trolling
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza wrote: »
    there's a 40 minute demo from quakecom here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkefdc_1_news

not sure how long it will be up

Neat to finally see the full length of that video. It seems like it's just the "full" version that people got to see behind closed doors at E3.

It was a good watch though, I finally learned what all the skills are, got to see some more of the neat menu, and got to see all those nice shadows!

I think most of the screenshots are coming from the 360 version, that seems to be their platform of choice for promotional stuff. Which is good, because as was said in the video...what was it, "The PC version will be even way better."

Haha.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Sweet, the black hand :D
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I am really looking forward to this...
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Two Listen wrote: »
    "The PC version will be even way better."

Someone should tell them, and any developers aside from a very few like Crytek, the ability to have AA and AF on to a slightly higher degree, and marginally crisper shadow edges, hardly qualifies as 'better'.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    didn't oblivion have really bad mip-mapping on mid distance ground textures which got fixed on PC? (maybe it was a mod but still)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Meh, had to switch to PS3 version cause now it seems all PC games randomly freeze mah PC >_> Oh well, I prefer the couch nowadays.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ah, thank you! I was so stressed in doing artwork and didn't feel like playing a game which would suck my time, so I'll debate you instead, should be quick and painless, just like circumcision...at least, that what my parents told me after we got a Yacht.
    Well, per pixel collision for skinned models is kinda expensive, wouldn't you say? Call me old fashioned, but I like my games to be able to run and not drop dead when I drop dead (get it?)
    Yes, conclusions...not having the full information to come to conclusions is always a pain, isn't it? I mean it's not like we work in the game industry, have free game engine with plethora of forums to snip in and learn about such things.
    I mean Lord, just think about it! If only we could somehow learn all this! For FREE! But surely, it's a jest.
    With Bethesda though, things are a little different. Bethesda has never been strong on the art side... or the tecnical side, or even the design side. Bethesda's strength is in one thing and one thing only: "Look how big and ambitious everything is!
    You mean Morrowind, right? Last I checked, in Oblivion, they were touting how great the AI in the game was before they had to scale it back because NPC's would kill each other if one so much had an item which didn't belong to them.
    It's been a while, but I recall the guy saying the big dragons were limited in numbers (at least the big ones with the spells), the big selling point was that nothing was scripted in the game this time (apart from the necessary questing and choke-points naturally) and everything is an organic event part of an organic world.
    Not really, that's what the players thought the selling point was, the real selling point was more flexibility then Oblivion and guns in the Post-Apo.

Also, furry mods, YIFF YIFF!
    Mass Effect is Star-Trek with sex, LA-Noire is GTA without shooting whores, WoW was not better then other MMO's at launch and all games are about getting laid and killing a deity like entity, yeah yeah, we've all been there before.

If you want something polished to a spit-mirror shine, may I suggest opening a shop for Silverware? Although you should be careful if there are dragon around.
    With all the BIG talk you're making, and BIG words you're using, the issues do sound SMALL.
    Skyrim = Transformers
    Are you sure? I can make out the dragon perfectly fine during combat.
    Have no fear, for you're wrong.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Ace Angel, your 'debate' was pretty crap haha.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bethesdas selling point is no one makes games like Bethesda?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    One broken elderscrolls game with oblivion does not make a broken series.

To be fair, elderscrolls has been far more known for being buggy games, not having broken gameplay.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol Ace-Angel

Anyway, whereas I'm not impressed with the latest Skyrim media, I know I'll put 50+ hours into it and it will be possible the best 50 hours I spend in front of my computer this year.

I felt the same thing with Oblivion, and Fallout 3.
  • Shaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The elder scroll series have never looked really good in my opinion and the combat system is by far one of the more retarded ones out there BUT! despite all of these many many negative points, the story and size of the world with the pure essence of adventure and really well made plots makes them one of the best games out there.

I for one has never been a fan of high fantasy gear that makes no sense and funky ass looking weaponry, but i categorize that under my personal preference so i cant count that in to the judgement of the game, though it damages my immersion a bit i can still deal with it due to the really epic big picture.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I do agree these latest shots look rather flat and shadows on the normal maps look terribly black in a lot of places, yuck I dont like black shadows, still Ill be there buying it on day one :D
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I dont feel impressed at all by the game at the moment. I feel like the environments are barely Oblivion 1.5, the animations/body awareness are still not AAA budget like. Of course last video was 360.. but hell

I will buy it, when its price will have dropped.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The price you pay for freedom ;)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it looks awesome to me! the spell hand still has borked finger bending tho :(
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12

This is exactly what I was thinking when looking at them.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    oh man... i watched half the video.. and had to stop so i can wait and see the Hi Def video whenever it comes out. I just started playing Oblivion to get ready for this. Looks amazing. I wonder if my PC will run it in ultra high settings. are there any specs yet?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    oh man... i watched half the video.. and had to stop so i can wait and see the Hi Def video whenever it comes out. I just started playing Oblivion to get ready for this. Looks amazing. I wonder if my PC will run it in ultra high settings. are there any specs yet?

I would guess: the same as oblivion & fallout 3.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    so i guess i have nothing to worry.... o_O here are the specs of my rig.

-DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX DFI mobo
    -Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80570E8500
    -RAM 8GB
    -SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit
    -Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI
    -Windows Vista Ultimate OS
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    watched the quakecon demo: holy shit i can't WAIT

you guys have outdone yourselves, this is gonna be GOTY
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Rick_D wrote: »
    watched the quakecon demo: holy shit i can't WAIT

you guys have outdone yourselves, this is gonna be GOTY

Thats a bit of a given any triple aaa rated game gets a goty these days.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    PC Gamer wrote:
    Dragon Age 2 [...] The best RPG of this decade? Nine more years will tell, but for now, yes.

I laughed when I saw this. I laughed even harder about it after I saw the first Skyrim trailer.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I have question though, what exactly are the black 'shadows' or 'normal bending' that I'm seeing in the pictures? Is there a reason normals would act like that? Or could be a type of Fresnel to pop the characters from the environment which have the same color around them?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi wrote: »
    Thats a bit of a given any triple aaa rated game gets a goty these days.
    Sad, but true. There are too many goty awards out there.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    you mean you don't think this looks like an utterly awesome experience?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Rick_D wrote: »
    you mean you don't think this looks like an utterly awesome experience?

Its not about being "utterly awesome man!" its about being a well made polished game. Whilst these games are good, they are a mess, unfinished, ill though out, badly implemented games.