Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Polygoblin
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm gonna pop a million boners once the games comes out, seriously! And I hope Clementine becomes more useful this time around.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I was put off watching this series for the longest time cause I heard people saying the second season wasn't great and got a bit emo. They were wrong. Both seasons were awesome! Loved the twist at the end, only saw it coming in the last five minutes. People can be some real bitches sometimes I guess. Got no desire to read the graphic novels from watching the T.V. show though. Could be cause I ain't a huge fan of the medium.

Anyway, Sunday WOOPWOOP! :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You have to remember, with people watching them 1 per weekend, the second season WAS slow, but ended with excellence. You had the luxury of seeing it without the waiting ;)
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    The TV show is great....but the comics are better. You should check them out even if you arent a comic reader. Robert Kirkman is one of the best writers in the industry right now in my opinion. The reason the show has been so great is because kirkman is heavily involved with it(not to take any credit away from the actors who have done a great job.). You dont have to be a comic reader to appreciate kirkman's books. They are very accessible.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    IT STARTS UP TONIGHT!!!!! 2 MORE HOURS! WOOOOOOOOO
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    just re-watched the last episode of season 2, man they are all excellent marksmen... every shot a head shot and half the time they dont even aim - pro
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Just noticed the lack of recoil haha, and exactly what CandyStripes05 said, they don't seem to reload often and they are just perfect shots... its just a show though haha. Just saying :D
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    great start to the season!!!
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Was a very short episode, way to many commercials. More than usual it seemed.

What little was shown was good though. :)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EXCITING TO WATCH THIS AGAIN GUYS
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    holy shit is this season 3?! oah! when will it come to the uk?!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great first episode. It seems like they really jumped forward though, compared to the comics.
    The riot gear, the living prisoners, and Hershell's leg, all already taking place in ONE episode?
    How about Laurie suggesting the baby is stillborn, and what would happen :poly122:
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Notman, I think it was a great idea that they jumped forward. They have young actors / actresses that are growing rapidly, so they need to account for that. Plus, this way, they can increase the characters skill sets without showing us all their training. All that stuff
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The thing that really annoyed me about this episode, was the fact the complete lack of strategy.

For god's sakes, there's even a korean. A Korean would know from Starcraft that you create a choke point.

I have no idea why they would run into the open field like that. Why not call them all to the fence, and poke them in the eye with a stick. Then do the same when they're in the prison.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool episode.

My wife made plants vs zombie references when they ran into the buckheaded zombies. And then again when Hershel was talking about planting crops. "Yea totally some pea-shooters and potatoes".

I missed up until they found the prison and watched that first part when they replayed the episode. So I wasn't exactly sure how much time had passed. I thought it was the next day but Hershel had a beard and Lori was suddenly 9mo along. Even after watching the first part I didn't quite catch how much time had passed, but that didn't take away from it too much.

I agree with JacqueChoi that they could handle the clearing out in a much safer way.

Rule one for clearing out the prison, before unlocking a gated door, bang on it and gather a crowd of zombies then take turns poking them in the head. But no... shh lets be really quite and not wake any of them up until they munch Hershel.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He ran into the clearing, because he needed to close that other gate. Otherwise, the zombies would have kept pouring in.

slipsius: I agree (about the aging), but I just think some of that stuff could have been spread out. Like the riot gear, in the comics, comes as they finally investigate the rest of the prison. Though, I did find it amusing, how they tried to stop the riot gear zombies. And it does make more sense, that they would have found zombies in that gear. But Hershell's leg could have waited. I guess I was just surprised how much it all was compressed. I liked the episode though :)
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, seems someone need to fire their weapon guy...
    How in the world can they attach MagLite suppressors to Glock? They have access to miling equipment now?

What's up with Carl sniping zombies 150ft away with a M9.

And no one feels any recoil now?
    :(
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Cool episode.

My wife made plants vs zombie references when they ran into the buckheaded zombies. And then again when Hershel was talking about planting crops. "Yea totally some pea-shooters and potatoes".

I missed up until they found the prison and watched that first part when they replayed the episode. So I wasn't exactly sure how much time had passed. I thought it was the next day but Hershel had a beard and Lori was suddenly 9mo along. Even after watching the first part I didn't quite catch how much time had passed, but that didn't take away from it too much.

I agree with JacqueChoi that they could handle the clearing out in a much safer way.

Rule one for clearing out the prison, before unlocking a gated door, bang on it and gather a crowd of zombies then take turns poking them in the head. But no... shh lets be really quite and not wake any of them up until they munch Hershel.

Yeah at the start of this episode they seemed really organised (for tv show characters) and later they just went with the flow. Great episode though. Started strong. Good to see they aren't whiny like before. Also good to see that Lori knows that all this Shane crap was her fault.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome premiere. They film alot where I live (in Newnan, GA...30 mins south of Atlanta), so I'm always trying to sneak a peek at what they're filming. They filmed the scene where Shane shot whats-his-face in the leg at my old high school. Makes me want to apply to be a zombie-extra!

Only thing that bothered me was...
    Hershall walking next to the zombie's beans and wiener. I mean dude, c'mon...you're either going to get A)Bit...or B)Catch zombie herpes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown wrote: »

Only thing that bothered me was...
    Hershall walking next to the zombie's beans and wiener. I mean dude, c'mon...you're either going to get A)Bit...or B)Catch zombie herpes.
    I guess after you step over your thousandth dead body the yuck factor is gone and you don't waste time going around them? Still I agree stupid move and he should have known better.

One other thing that got me was Glen checking Maggie for scratches.
    "Here, let me rub my maggoty hands all over your bare and possibly scratched skin" "Hey baby how about you bury your head deep in my gore splattered shirt and arm pits that haven't seen deodorant in almost a year."
    /cue Barry White.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if they know they're already infected, why the panic over scratches and bites? I understand about normal bacterial infection since they're so dirty, but you've got a few hours to clean and disinfect wounds.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah but they are afraid of this whole poison zombies aplly when they wound you. At least thats how I explain it to myself ;p
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it was just to create a 'moment'. You know, the hot "let me lick that zombie mash off of you" moment.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradan wrote: »
    if they know they're already infected, why the panic over scratches and bites? I understand about normal bacterial infection since they're so dirty, but you've got a few hours to clean and disinfect wounds.

In the Comics and Game, both Death and 'bite by proxy' = Zombification.

You could argue that most of the time, being bitten isn't a simple case of 'It's just a cheap wound', but a full on bleed out, but everything in the series indicate so far that both case cause you to become a zombie.

Lets put it this way (from what I gathered) everyone is infected, but the bacteria in your system are the 'basic' type, they live alongside you, almost as if someone gave you a shot.

A wound infection from a 'full on infected host' is equal to getting a boarding party of heavy marauders in your system, 'waking' up the other bacteria in your system, which in turn kill everything else in your system.

Bam, zombie.

If you die of natural causes, your 'good bacteria' in your body die, hence nothing to fight it off, bad bacteria which in turn lives and grows, etc.

I honestly am more surprised that even the Walking Dead has started taking the 28 Day occulation period, in 28, an infected person has 28 seconds before they become an infected, in WD, I get the feeling they're doing the same (EI: 12-24 hours = Zombie State).
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Well you could always chop it off and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe that'll help!

Great first episode though. Hope the series picks up the pace this time!
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    He ran into the clearing, because he needed to close that other gate. Otherwise, the zombies would have kept pouring in.

I get that, but why not cover him while he ran in and out type deal then pick the rest off through the fence without using guns... considering they were just discussing how low the ammo supply is and how they probably wont have enough to last them in the journey to the cafe or prison armory

i just couldn't get over how much of a waste it was to shoot a zombie in the head 2 feet away from you on the opposite side of the fence vs stabbing it in the head with one of the many melee weapons they have
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    its more exciting to watch.

you ever play left 4 dead when the survivors cram into a corner and spam melee?

zzzzzzzzz
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ever play when they didn't do that and died from lack of ammo...

wouldn't have been that bad but to bitch about the ammo supply right before or after (cant remember) makes it that much worse because it was all i could think about

but i guess it would have been more on the boring side that way :P
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just found out people are bawwing to no end for the Owl. Seriously, it's hilarious.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I just found out people are bawwing to no end for the Owl. Seriously, it's hilarious.

Tbh when I saw the owl I was like "Cool he has a pet- wait ¬_¬ Nooooooooooooo!"

Good episode though! excited for more!
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Funny, seeing how the next scene was the group considering eating canned dog food... Ugh, some folks won't have what it takes to make it when the zombies REALLY come.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    Funny, seeing how the next scene was the group considering eating canned dog food... Ugh, some folks won't have what it takes to make it when the zombies REALLY come.
    https://www.facebook.com/McWalkerWhoWho
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    When I saw the owl I thought "If he shoots it I'm turning this off, owls are badass"

Anyway the rest of the ep was ok. Spoilers etc: I dislike how shitty Daryl's crossbow sounds/seems. Armour wouldn't make a bolt bounce off like a toy, plus they don't go anywhere near fast enough.. but this is really a tiny nitpick. Also if they went slower they wouldn't have had so many problems (ie lure zombies to the gate, kill them in small groups instead of large ones).
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Bek wrote: »
    Armour wouldn't make a bolt bounce off like a toy, plus they don't go anywhere near fast enough...

Sounds like a job for myth busters! Might depend on what type of armor it is...could have some sort of tegris material built in underneath.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    His bolts dont seem to have hunting tips on them. So it very well could bounce off. especially when hitting the plastic / round visor
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I didn't really enjoy that episode. Felt very rush, rush and just clunky. Also a few really annoying shots of zombies. Feels like the camera spend a lot of time on zombie-head close-ups just for "coolness". Yeah, great make-up/CG... the gas-masked zombie was the worst.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    regarding the Bite/infection discussion :

I think they're pushing aside the "bite from zombie > become zombie" concept. It seems to me that the reason chopping off the leg would help and the reason that they're checking for scratches is infection.
    The only way to become a zombie is to die - and the bites/scratches are kind of a moot point. Except this: zombies are dead, rotting things. If a zombie bites you and it's not fatal it's not like he passed you his zombie-ism through the exchanging of fluids - he gave you a gnarly friggin infection that will kill you without MASSIVE doses of POWERFUL antibiotics. Like a cat scratch x 1000000. Might as well cut yourself open and shove a dead squirrell in there.

so chop off the bitten leg? yeah. at least the new wound is cleaner and if you do it soon enough it could keep most of the infectants out of the blood stream. why not.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    reverendK wrote: »
    regarding the Bite/infection discussion :

I think they're pushing aside the "bite from zombie > become zombie" concept.

Over at /r/walkingdead someone explained it pretty succinctly I think. Its not that bites don't make you a zombie. They always have, and will continue to do so. Everyone is infected, but its at a "stable" level. Many diseases today are very similar. However, when you get bitten, or scratched badly enough, the viral "load" increases through transmission. This causes the fever (Jim from season 1) and kills you. After incubation, bam; fresh zombie. I guess it doesn't matter how you die. Exsanguination from a bite, or from a bullet causes the same effect in the end. Once your immune system can't fight it, you start the zombification process. So in this regard, amputation could very well keep you among the living.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyhow, is it OK if we also talk about the game in this thread? I was very frustrated with the latest episode and how sporadic the writing was.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Such an awesome episode!!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't read this thread because I dont wanna ruin anything but I just started watching a couple days ago and halfway through season 2...I wish it wasn't so dramatic, with the baby and Glen keeping secrets etc etc. Feels like I'm watching Jersey Shore: Zombie Edition...I heard the season is better in the last few episodes, hope so!

edit: Ive never actually seen Jersey Shore, I'm just assuming the plot revolves around drama.

edit 2: Dale, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread because I dont wanna ruin anything but I just started watching a couple days ago and halfway through season 2...I wish it wasn't so dramatic, with the baby and Glen keeping secrets etc etc. Feels like I'm watching Jersey Shore: Zombie Edition...I heard the season is better in the last few episodes, hope so!

edit: Ive never actually seen Jersey Shore, I'm just assuming the plot revolves around drama.

edit 2: Dale, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I think you are missing the point ;p Walking Dead IS about human drama. It is not about bashing zombies skulls 24/7.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point ;p Walking Dead IS about human drama. It is not about bashing zombies skulls 24/7.

Sorry, I probably could have worded that better. Trust me, I'm not all about zombie bashing (I've only ever seen 3 or 4 zombie movies), I'm more into the survival aspect. I guess I find it annoying when they all spend their time arguing and at each others necks when they could band together and fortify a position. It also bugs me when people aren't reasonable.

Anywho, I guess that is what makes the show. I just miss the camp from season 1, and getting resources from the city.

EDIT: HOLY BALLS here we go! Right after I typed that I pressed "play" on VLC and what do I see...Hooded figure with a katana and two zombie pets. This is more like it!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I liked about the comic book. Less arguing, and more about surviving. In the comics, Shane was kill at the forest camp (season 1). They meet more people along the way, to help add muscle to the group. There was still drama around the baby, but overall it was more about surviving... both the zombie attacks, and other asshole humans.

But expecting people to be reasonable is out of the question in a scenario like this. That's kind of the point. People go into survival mode, and what you do to survive, does not include 'reason'.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I think what annoyed me the most was that there was no real change of setting. They got to the farm and just like that, nothing else mattered, there was barely a threat or change of scenery for longer than an episode. the
    car crash
    was pretty much skimmed over and
    she got back to the farm
    in the next episode. That isn't progression, it just served as a one off cliffhanger.

I wanna see the characters struggle, not neccesarily through waves of zombies, but through survival, supplies, medicine, teamwork and having to make hard decisions, they were too comfortable on that damn farm. Put it this way, did anything happen in that season which you will be able to think about later and create connections? I don't think so, you can think of some from the first, like
    where's that black guy and his kid, where's what's his name's redneck brother, what's going to happen there?
    . Very little happened in season 2 that actually adds to the story other than "we stopped here for a while and did some stuff"

IMO. :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was in the same state of mind, going "Why the....just do...thats stupid" with the whole walking into a open area, with zombies coming at you, instead of just luring them towards the fence and take them down. It's just like exploiting bad AI in games, just get the mobs to where you can damage them, and they can't touch you.

Just systematic lure/kill all the zombies, and ALWAYS doubletap the ones you haven't downed yourself, just in case. Always have one with an axe to take off their heads, don't leave enemies behind you. Same with inside the building, advance only if there is only one way some can come at you, block the rest until you can check them out.

Geez, I think, despite that gamers is seen as out of shape geeks, would be better at surviving in a zombie world. ;)

But yeah, when she mentioned the idea about the stillborn, that would freak me out as well if I was her. ;)
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree that they can probably go out from most of the situations unharmed if they used their brains.

I think that people can't be too smart in tv series though. It can be done but is probably hard to do (from 'lets make tv series' perspective). Imagine you watch few people picking zombies in the brains through the eyes for 10 minutes and then they casually walk towards the prison. Seems best solution rather than risking going in. But solutions like that are boring to watch. I also try to tell myself that it is harder to make a good call when you are there. When you are in the front of your pc it is way easier ;p (but it is really hard to watch them pass zombies and don't even check if they are dead...)

I liked in the last episode that they tried to act like they knew what they are doing. With every minute they were more like typical tv series characters... dumb. But I liked this episode and I love the series.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Very little happened in season 2 that actually adds to the story other than "we stopped here for a while and did some stuff"
    I think they might use that as a point to look back on. A high water mark in the quality of life that they had. They might look back as if that was as normal as they could have gotten and even then it was bit of a nightmare.

Season 2 was mostly about breaking Hershel down and opening his eyes to the reality around him, and then flipping that reality back on the group
    when Sophia came out of the barn
    . It also was a three way power struggle between Hershel, Rick and Shane.

As for the Jersey Shore comparison... Sure they both center around drama but, Jersey shore is mostly self entitled little twat monsters complaining about 1st world problems. The writers for Walking Dead would probably take great pleasure in having a horde of zombies disembowel the entire cast of Jersey Shore if they ever wrote them into an episode. There's BS drama where people who routinely train wreck their life and everyone smuggly looks down on their dumbass mistakes. But then there is actual survival horror drama done right.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Season 2 was a step in the process. I agree, it was slow, and spent too much time just hanging out, but it served a purpose. It sets an example of never being safe, no matter how safe you feel.