Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    MrOneTwo wrote: »
    I think that people can't be too smart in tv series though.

*cough* breaking bad *cough*

i hate it when authors use stupidity as a tool to create drama or advance the plot... the only reason i am watch the walking dead is because it is the only high level zombie series i know of.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Goeddy wrote: »
    *cough* breaking bad *cough*

i hate it when authors use stupidity as a tool to create drama or advance the plot... the only reason i am watch the walking dead is because it is the only high level zombie series i know of.

NOoooooo no no no. They are clever in TV way. It is like being stupid in TV way (that its fake ;p). They also do some silly stuff. They are not realistically smart.

Pretty much every tv series uses stupidity. Why ? Because doing resonable things is pretty much what you do your whole life. I do belive it is possible to not use stupidity to move things in interesting directions. It is hard though. Many times I though about how they could kill all those zombies in efficient way without putting themself in danger. They were all boring to watch;p

If I like tv series I just try not to bring to reallistic level. Yeah I don't want to see people doing totally stupid stuff (like trying to pull out zombie from the well... this water won't be better after taking him out...) but sometimes I prefer just to enjoy the show ;p

I understand it can be a problem for some people and creators should avoid this as much as they can.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    No mention of last night's episode? Loved it. I had forgot about the 'incident' between the one prisoner, and Rick. They didn't make it seem like accidental cross fire in the TV version though. But,
    when he threw the zombie at Rick, it reminded me of the comic, and I just thought OH DAMN, IT'S ON!

And I see we are back to Karl running off randomly again, with no one knowing where he is :/
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    machete to head = awesome! So glad that happened.

Awesome episode. Like where this is going! The small clip from next episode.... hellllls yes!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree, it was a badass episode.

1) I'm glad Rick took out the punk, I could have sworn he was going to wuss out, and the guy was going to kill someone else.

I think Rick went a bit far in chasing that guy down and then locking him out.

2) I think Carl can move up a few pegs from stupid kid who is going to get people killed, to valuable team member. I'm glad someone had the sense enough to keep a gun on Hershel, while Lori was making out with Hershel-walker.

Hopefully the group will realize that a quite stealthy person can sometimes achieve more than a group huddled together fighting their way through a horde, that they gather because they are a group huddled together.

In the comics Glenn was the stealthy one, especially when he saved Rick in Atlanta, but they by-passed that and he's a bit more bumbling in the show. So maybe Carl will fill that stealthy roll, but I'm still waiting for the "damn-it mom I'm not a kid anymore" speech... which given how stupid Lori can be she just needs to cut the cord and count him as an adult.

3) I'm not sure who was watching Carol practice? Something tells me Carl when he was getting supplies and it will turn into one of those "I seen her playing with a dead walker, she's bonkers kill-er pa! Shootz-er ina head!" or its another prisoner who...
    [comic spoiler]
    turns out to be the psychopath that says he's in for a white collar crime seems harmless but turns out to be a murdering nut job that does in the two sisters that haven't been written into the show... so he probably kills Carls love interest? Or maybe "that guy" was the douchebag that Rick just put down?
    [/comic spoiler]
    Either way I love that I know the story and yet they deviate enough that I have no idea what is going to happen when or if it will even happen at all.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I'm still a bit behind on why Rick and his wifey are so estranged right now.. yeah there's the whole shane-pregnancy thing, but that leads to a year long ice-age? I should probably watch the last ep of season 2 again ;-)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Carol's stalker is probably the guy from the comics:
    the one from the Governor's camp, who friends them first, then runs off to tell the governor

I thought Rick was giving that guy a stare down, then he was going to 'accidentally' kill him on the next round of zombies. Instead, he outright splits the coconut.

I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't Big Tiny scratched/bit in the comics too, and they just pinned him up for a few days, to see if he turns? Then eventually released him.

And yes, I think Mr Moustache
    is the rapist who cuts Andrea's face
    . I'm curious how they'll handle him this round

Next week: The Governor and Merle. Should get interesting. I'm trying to remember who was part of the group, when Merle cut his hand off. I think Andrea was there.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    I'm still a bit behind on why Rick and his wifey are so estranged right now.. yeah there's the whole shane-pregnancy thing, but that leads to a year long ice-age? I should probably watch the last ep of season 2 again ;-)

She also got into his shit for killing Shane, after suggesting to him that's what he should do. He's pretty much just tired of her shit, and combined with all the other shit, he hasn't had time to settle down, and forgive/forget.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I would do the exact same thing. Shut her out and focus on what needs to be done and hope that once we can win stability, there might be enough of my old self left that might want to reconnect again.

I would probably do that even if she hadn't moved on incredibly quick after my best friend said I died, banged my wife, fathered a kid that I have to now treat as my own not to mention that every time I think of that kid it will remind me that I had to kill my best friend after watching him slowly turn into a monster, and then a zombie...

"look lori, I'm tried, hungry and exhausted of always running, fighting and having to make life and death decisions in the blink of an eye. I'm the only one holding this group together and honestly I'm hanging by a thread.

So while I would really like to reconnect and try to be a loving husband, I just don't have the energy. I need to concentrate on other things right now. If I was to be honest with you, in the past those emotions have clouded my judgement and almost cost us everything, so right now it's best if I shut that off and focus."
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I have a feeling something happened with rick and lori during the winter that they havent said. Ive been a bit lost on it as well. Going from the end of season 2 to this. just seems a bit odd.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanations guys and yes I agree there's basis for animosity.. but man he's harsh. So slipsius might be on to something.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think something happened and I hoped nothing did because I really dislike crap like 'oh and btw Rick hates Lori because something happened but chill it wasn't worth putting in the show'.

It is weird that previous season ended with Lori being mad at Rick and in this one she suddenly knows she was the douchebag. Like Mark said. Rick is a bit busy and probably in poor mental state. Lori just walks around always taking two seats in the bus with this huge belly and just whines how shitty of a wife she is...

Ohhh and their son now carries a gun and is treated like an adult... but runs of crying when someone tells him that walking around solo is shitty idea.

PS: loved this episode! :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    The Carol's stalker is probably the guy from the comics:
    the one from the Governor's camp, who friends them first, then runs off to tell the governor
    OOOOoooo that would be cool and fits nicely.
    I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't Big Tiny scratched/bit in the comics too, and they just pinned him up for a few days, to see if he turns? Then eventually released him.
    My memory is a bit hazzy, but I don't remeber a character like Big Tiny in the comics... I think they locked up all of the prisoners, mostly for their safety and didn't trust them with keys but later let them come and go after certain events unfolded and certain prisoners proved themselves.
    And yes, I think Mr Moustache
    is the rapist who cuts Andrea's face
    . I'm curious how they'll handle him this round
    Thomas, the guy with a creepy smile and round glasses was the rapist who cuts Andrea's face and kills the two kids, one of them being another of Hershels kids? Possibly Carls love interest in the show?
    In the comic I think there was only 4 prisoners
    Axel, was a decent guy and ended up sticking around and fits right in with Ricks group. I think the guy that begged for his life

Thomas, was the rapist who messed up Andrea and killed the two kids. He wore glasses and had a creepy smile all the time. The douchebag in last nights episode was Tomas so maybe that chain of events won't happen now? But then again Tomas was closer in personality to Dexter.

Dexter, a big black guy, was in for murder and because of that Rick locked him up when someone killed the two kids (Thomas). Dexter was most like Tomas and told Rick and his group that they weren't welcome and had to leave. So it looks like they are blending several prisoners together? Or maybe Dexter was the guy that wouldn't plead his case (beg for his life) after Rick split Tomas's melon? I think Axel was the guy that did.

Andrew, who never got too close to anyone took a beating from Rick (or was that Thomas?) and sparked a prisoner vs survivor riot where Axel was the only prisoner to side with Ricks group.
    So I wonder if they are done with the Prisoner vs Survivor problems and are moving onto other things? Or maybe the prisoner problems aren't all dealt with and will resurface later after the governor...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think they blended names/appearances among the prisoners.
    The thing is, the mustache guy claimed to be imprisoned for a much lesser crime than the others, and is trying to be really friendly, just like Thomas from the comics. He may not match the illustrations, but to me, they casted a guy that still looks creepy enough to be a match
    . That may just be me though :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Notman, the mustache prisoner is
    Axel, so unless they repurpose his role he's not going to go on a killing spree.
    That storyline wasn't one of my favorites from the comic so I'm fine with it.

And on the subject of Rick and Lori being apart, it happened in the last episode of last season for me. When he confided in her about killing Shane and he went out to touch her and she recoiled that broke his last bit of trust in her. From there on they pretty much kept growing apart and Lori finally started to accept that what happened with Shane was her fault. Then Season 3 starts.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    anyone else feel bad of T-Dog? he has a slightly more involved role compared to last season but still comes off as a majorly side lined character... im just waiting for someone to off him already - but then again i think some previews had Merle coming back into play, so maybe then he will have a more developed story
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's a shame - been waiting for him to make more of an impact for quite a while, he was nearly non-existant in season 2.. oh and I'm loving his riot shield techniques :D
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    I wonder if she gonna have a zombie baby.. Why haven't they found the prisons guards guns yet. I am wondering
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah, I think they blended names/appearances among the prisoners.
    The thing is, the mustache guy claimed to be imprisoned for a much lesser crime than the others, and is trying to be really friendly, just like Thomas from the comics. He may not match the illustrations, but to me, they casted a guy that still looks creepy enough to be a match
    . That may just be me though :)
    I think that would be a big mistake if the show writers re-purposed the character like that.
    If that is indeed Axel, which seems to be the case, he was a pretty good guy in the comics and was a fan-favorite character. It would make a lot of people mad to turn him into a child killer.

I think it's way more likely that they're just dropping the child-killer all together, because.. well, it's a bit hardcore for TV I think. It's one thing to show zombie kids getting killed, but living kids getting raped and decapitated might be a different story.

Makes me really wonder how they're going to handle what happens with Lori and her baby.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    (about Lori agreeing to kill the inmates, if necessary) "Well sure, you tell me that now..." -Rick with a F'ing zinger.

tumblr_mcath1pBxe1qdflgdo7_r1_250.gif
    tumblr_mcath1pBxe1qdflgdo8_r1_250.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I loved that stare down.

I hope you guys are right about Axel to be honest. And the points you made Shiniku, are the reasons I've wonder if they would carry Lori's baby full term. I thought for sure, she was going to miscarry when she flipped the car.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I have a feeling that mustache guy is gonna kill hershels younger daughter. You don't grow a mustache like that and not be either a magician or a child rapist.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok just saw episode 3...saw the ending like 30 seconds ago..dude, WTF?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a big divergence, between the comic and the show, as far as how they relate go. If you looked online for an answer, then you may not have found the correct one ;) (depending on how they change things).

In the comics, Rick, Michonne, and Glenn go to investigate the helicopter, and the meet the Governor, and come to Woodbury. They quickly learn what a bastard he is, and things go from there. But the Governor finds the prison, when Rick/Glenn/Michonne return to the prison.

In the show, Andrea and Michonne aren't even aware of the prison, or if the group even exists anymore.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    That was a fantastic episode. Great introduction to
    the governor and reintro to merl
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the episode, I like where they seem to be taking it. I wonder if Andrea will side with Merl and the Gov or with Michonne who clearly is itching to find an exit.

The doctor in woodbury has a bit more of a "creepy Nazi scientist from WW2" vibe going, he reminds me a lot of the guy in The Raider of the Lost Ark. which I wonder how it will play out
    in the comic he seemed like a stand up guy and wanted to leave because the Gov is bat shit nuts, but dies during the escape. I wonder if the nurse/assistant will fill that kind hearted role and the Dr will be 100% evil?

I wonder if his "tea" is a mandatory drink and the thing that keeps people calm and why Andrea is cool with the place and Michonne is itching to make a break for it. I wonder if the doctor dies and the tea production stops if the Gov becomes unhinged (more than he already is).
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't care for that episode at all, but mostly because I can't stand Andrea.

Mark: I think it's probably more likely that the people in the town like the place and feeling of security and don't know (or want to) what's really going on. And the Tea is just plain old good.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    too many British actors influencing the show! Nobody drinks hot tea in the south.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh, I agree I don't think Rick would stick around Woodbury long.

Scudz, I think you might be right. Andrea is kind of annoying in the show (comic spoiler)
    but her character is pretty significant in the comic, she plays a pretty big roll later on so I doubt they will get rid of her, but you never know they off'ed Dale

Justin, hahaha yea it should have been sweet tea. "Doc I like your tea but can you make it cold a sweet?"
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I didn't like Michonne at all, she was cooler in the comics, in the TV show she just seems like pissed off, paranoid girl with crazy eyes. :P Doesn't have that hardcore ninja vibe to her. And I agree with Scudz, can't stand Andrea either, but gotta admit it goes for most of the people in the serie, one point or another, they just make you want to punch them.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed wrote: »
    And I agree with Scudz, can't stand Andrea either, but gotta admit it goes for most of the people in the serie, one point or another, they just make you want to punch them.

Except for Daryl, even when he's being a complete dick he's just sayin what I'm already thinking;)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah the tea. Looking back it seemed to be play a prominent role, yeah.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed that Andrea is annoying as is everyone at some point... but i always found her to be annoying around the clock

as for Michonne - not really warming up to her at this point, then again that was pretty much her first episode where she got some solid screen time... didn't really do much nor was she the main focus when on screen. so i'll save judgement till later :P

btw did anyone else think at the very end of the episode when they showed the governor climbing out of bed after banging the random, when he walked into the side room sat in the chair and had all that light on him.... that he was going to be watching old videos of his family on repeat and thats what keeps him on edge... orrrrr that he was about to play some ps3 or 360 :P
  • DanBe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked the episode, nice intro into Woodburry. Nice and calm episode until the end when you once in a sudden see the real face of the governor and his men.

Rather deceiving! :)

@CandyStripes05 I thought the governor would go see his in chain tied up zombie family after he looked at his family picture. But was surprisingly shocked to see it actually be a tad crazier then i would have imagined.

really good show so far! It definitely picked up the paste in season 3!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Except for Daryl, even when he's being a complete dick he's just sayin what I'm already thinking;)

Hehe, maybe it's because Daryl isn't an original character from the comics, he got more character? ;)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Candystripes she wasnt a random she was the chick that talked to Andrea.

Darryl isnt in the comics?
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    daryl and merle arent in the comics, no. Also, did we even see the face of the "random" in bed? I dont think we did....
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanBe wrote: »
    @CandyStripes05 I thought the governor would go see his in chain tied up zombie family after he looked at his family picture. But was surprisingly shocked to see it actually be a tad crazier then i would have imagined.

^This... well, one family member in particular, but I won't go there right now.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    daryl and merle arent in the comics, no. Also, did we even see the face of the "random" in bed? I dont think we did....

Yeah, we saw her face, but it was pretty quick, and her eyes were shut. I think Andreas may be right though, about her being the chick from earlier.

T-Dog wasn't in the comics either. And actually, the comics had MORE characters, that I liked more. Like Tyreese, who they met back on the highway, as they were leaving the forest camp. He had a daughter, and her boyfriend with him, which weren't as interesting to me, but Tyreese was a former NFL player, and he was a bad ass, who became Rick's friend/sidekick.

On the farm, they met a group, who was trying to move to DC, because one of their people claimed to have a cure, and needed to get it to the government. That group had Abraham, who also is a bad ass, who again, friends Rick.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    On the farm, they met a group, who was trying to move to DC, because one of their people claimed to have a cure, and needed to get it to the government. That group had Abraham, who also is a bad ass, who again, friends Rick.
    In the comic they don't meet these characters until a ways after the events at the prison. If the show is on air that long I think those characters will make an appearance, since they are the catalyst for moving the group toward DC.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about Michonne, I think the actor is playing her a bit too intense and it causes her to stand out instead of blend in. (comic spoiler)
    She always had that strong SILENT quality to her but was way more about stealth and not letting her emotions show. She didn't wear her fear on her sleeve like the actor in the show does.
    Her intense fearfulness makes her stand out instead of blend in. I understand the whole caged animal routine but I think it does the character a disservice to ignore some of her stronger characteristics.

I think they have missed a few chances to have her demonstrate her stealthy ninja badassery.(comic spoiler)
    From her time out on her own she managed to fine tune her senses so she picked up on walkers and noises before everyone else. Normally she was the first one that picked up on trouble, she would disappear, shit would go down and she would come out of nowhere and save their asses. Then you find out she dealt with the majority of the walkers on her own while they where scratching their heads wondering where she was.

But instead they chose to have Merl sneak up behind her, which is a good way to get them to woodbury but not a good way to show off her spidey sense. They also opt to do more single hit wow shots where she strikes a pose at the end when in the comic she was more likely to slice something into bits and no one realized that she moved.

(comic spoiler)
    That's what made her dangerous to the group at first, she was quite, hard to keep track of and amazingly lethal. Well that and she carried on conversations with herself...
    They are sort of ignoring all of that so far... But we will see where they take her its still early.

(comic spoiler)
    I also think that the guy in woodbury that Michonne keeps staring at, is Tyrees...
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im waiting for the father and son that rick met at the beginning of the season 1 to make an appearance again, i think that would be sick (i think it was a father and son combo) but they had to part ways for some reason... memory is fuzzy on that, but i do remember them killing the wife/mother from inside their house
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku wrote: »
    In the comic they don't meet these characters until a ways after the events at the prison. If the show is on air that long I think those characters will make an appearance, since they are the catalyst for moving the group toward DC.

Oh, yeah, I just looked it up, and I forgot about the return from the prison. Hopefully they'll make it into the show.

And yeah, I agree on the Michonne thing. I really think she needs to tune it down a notch. She's obsessed with asking for their weapons, when I would expect her to be more stealthy about getting her katana back.

As for the tea, they discussed it on the Talking Dead, and the producer said it was a nod to one of the writers, who is always drinking tea. I think people are trying to find some significance to it, but I got the impression that there is nothing special about it otherwise. Maybe a tip toward a more civilized society though, rather than just water, which is what I imagine is the only thing most people have to drink atm.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im waiting for the father and son that rick met at the beginning of the season 1 to make an appearance again, i think that would be sick (i think it was a father and son combo) but they had to part ways for some reason... memory is fuzzy on that, but i do remember them killing the wife/mother from inside their house

You're right, father & son. It depends on how much they take from the comics, he may be seen again. They did hint at it on one of the talking deads though.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    You guys are really bordering on spoilers from the comic, guys. Can you please stay away from those, or use tags? Us tv only folks would appreciate it. :)
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    i lost 4 pounds, cause watching this series on lunchtime and
    doesnt ate this much - haha ..
    @topic: I dont get, why he killed this soldiers...

is there a link for the comics ?
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im guessing he killed the soldiers to avoid having any of his authority questioned and to gain more supplies while not having the extra mouths to feed
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    or he is just a dick
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    military = government. He doesnt want anyone else in charge. and wants the extra guns
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    yeah - the authority thing was my first mention .. but he need more men to "take all back ?=! = .. so in the last scene, you see that hes just a crazy dick..
    So or so, i dont like him ;)