Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead

Replies

• RN
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    I think they didn't show Tara's reaction to Denise dying. She would probably volunteer to go after those attackers.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Not so much into those last seasons anymore, but still watching that tonight -
    I started re-watching from season 1, with a very new eye, the show got a little old on the beginnings ! But I enjoy it way more the second time than the first.
    Also I watch it with a theory in mind : Rick cannot die unless he gets shot to the head, and it all makes a lot of sense now, anyone else on this one?

• CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Please. Kill. Off. Carl.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    God damn. It felt like this season opened up with the Red Wedding.

Was brutally hard to watch. 

Still in shock.

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I was stunned how much they translated, from the comics... mainly, the eyeball
  • Mark Dygert
    That was a really heavy episode.

Glenn was one of my favorite characters. I can't say I'm surprised they killed him off but I had hoped that was one thing they would have kept divergent from the comic. 

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I didn't care for the pacing and fakeouts, this episode didn't offer much beside shock value.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    fair point about shock value. still think it would've played better to kill Glenn like that at the last finale, let us mourn all offseason, then killed Abraham too for the opener. just to rub our noses in it. Less shock value and less teasing. However, it feels satisfying. that's kind of the problem though? I didn't want to "look forward" to someone from our inner circle dying. Oh well. 

I desperately want to hear Negen say "fuck". Also, this was a nice touch:

• CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    lol the next episode is going to be sooooo boring, not even in comparison but just in general :P and the preview from the talking dead only aids in that thought (I don't know about the comics, which means I know nothing of the new town but it looks like it'll be a slow intro into a new safe place)
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Show has long all content to me, its move to new place, drama ensues, people die wash rinse repeat. They do not explore anything outside of it
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    I wish they got back to looking into a cure, or massive quarantine zone... you know give them purpose other then to just survive, the whole setting up shop in a new area as mentioned already, has been played out a lot already
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if we will get to see them dealing with humans once walkers are all extinct (wich seems to get close)
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter

I wish they got back to looking into a cure, or massive quarantine zone... you know give them purpose other then to just survive, the whole setting up shop in a new area as mentioned already, has been played out a lot already
    You know, I was actually thinking about this exact same point.

What's the point of this show? Aside from watching them die and have new cast members rotate in? I guess this show is going to stop when the ratings fade? 

I really wish this show could have a proper ending in place they're slowly working towards.

I mean the cycle now is:
    1)  Find place to live as a society.
    2)  Get overtaken by bad guys. A Main Character Dies.
    3) Kill bad guys with a psychopathic leader.
    4) Place of residence no longer habitable.
    5) Rotate old cast with new cast
    6) Repeat #1

• throttlekitty
    Fuiosg said:
    I didn't care for the pacing and fakeouts, this episode didn't offer much beside shock value.
    If you take the events at face value without considering the characters or story, sure why not.

Negan plainly explains why he's doing all this what, five, six times in the episode? If he didn't absolute break Rick down, the next episodes would be boring and predictable as the home team plays out yet another assault on the opposition. Instead, the group needed to be shown exactly how fucked they are right now.

Also tagging @CandyStripes05 and @JacqueChoi here. I don't recall the exact quote he repeated, but it was the gist of "you can't get what you want, no happy endings", which will be the theme of the next season or two. Despite all the action, this isn't really a "Kill the zombies and be heros" show, that would get old quick, and finding a cure would be CSI levels of silly. It's a character drama that explores differing governments and limited resource.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    not fun. not entertaining. not even a lot of story. If I want to see something depressing I watch Eden Lake or Wolf Creek. But honestly, I was just looking for some zombie action with a tad of zombie gore mixed in while having a couch dinner... wrong show, I guess. Or maybe "The Walking Dead" now refers to Rick? Wake me up when a new good zombie show comes along...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the title is supposed to refer to the survivors, not the actual dead. This has been discussed in this thread before, but it's not about the zombies... it's about the human condition, when society breaks down, and is under constant threat.

Also, if anyone is expecting them to research a cure, you might as well bail out now, because they just focus on surviving and restoring some resemblance of normalcy again. Do you really consider any of these survivors capable of actually figuring out a cure?

I enjoyed the episode. It sets up the tone for the season. For once, the group finds themselves not the toughest kids on the playground.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean the cycle now is:
    1)  Find place to live as a society.
    2)  Get overtaken by bad guys. A Main Character Dies.
    3) Kill bad guys with a psychopathic leader.
    4) Place of residence no longer habitable.
    5) Rotate old cast with new cast
    6) Repeat #1

That cycle is about to break.... don't want to spoil things though, so I won't say more.
    #2 will always happen.
    #5 They still have most of the old cast, no rotating out. Usually new characters bite it. We will see many more new characters though, starting next week, with the Kingdom
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    notman said:
    Yes, the title is supposed to refer to the survivors, not the actual dead. This has been discussed in this thread before, but it's not about the zombies... it's about the human condition, when society breaks down, and is under constant threat.

Also, if anyone is expecting them to research a cure, you might as well bail out now, because they just focus on surviving and restoring some resemblance of normalcy again. Do you really consider any of these survivors capable of actually figuring out a cure?

I enjoyed the episode. It sets up the tone for the season. For once, the group finds themselves not the toughest kids on the playground.
    yep. makes all sense, and  in general I don't have a problem with that train of thought. But I do expect zombies - there are enough other flics about "the human condition" which pull off dealing with this topic with more elegance and subtlety.

And at least those flics don't require smashing someone's head to smithereens because the directors think their audience is so dumb that they otherwise don't get the seriousness of "the human condition" Rick and his fellows struggle with.

I don't necessarily know how this show could end. But on the other hand, if the show goes in an endless cycle of the same, then at least we have a zombie right there...

Having said all that, I guess I better play the Telltale games. I really liked Season 2. Haven't played Michonne yet, but the 2nd one was already better than the show.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't hoping/expecting they would try to develop a cure, but maybe go after someone or someplace that might... i dunno just looking for a purpose besides the obvious survival story. Maybe them not being top dog for once will make it different this time around.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    there was some pretty neat retrospective to the beginning of this story arc (All Out War), about all they'd been through and their options going forward. So maybe concerns about this cycle will be addressed this season in the show. 

• jessicapatel123
    hello everyone i'm new user.

regards
    jessica patel
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    So... the Kingdom, Ezekiel, and a Shiva... thoughts?
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Not a huge fan of the carol/morgan arc but I liked the episode, had some needed levity after that premiere. Ezekiel seems like a cool character. The tiger looked pretty decent for being a CGI/puppet composite.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    awkwardddddddddd
    no?
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Good dialogue. Subtle details in conversations and mannerisms were something they seemed to really find a groove in last season which makes these slower episodes work really well. I thought the audience was able to identify as Carol in her skepticism of this new place. Even as you all discussed here; "another settlement? No thanks" and then charismatic Ezekiel wins everyone over when he drops the act. I'm actually a fan of the Carol/Morgan arc, and would even go so far as to say that Morgan is winning me back. Changes in his arc have him feeling less like a wuss and more like a guy just struggling w his identity. 

Also, fuck yeah Shiva. 

still pissed the show has basically moved on from Glenn and Abraham's death in one week, but whatevs. 
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Carol has been played out, and they don't even know what to do with her, so they are making her do this mopey suicidal annoying character. That being said, her introduction to King Ezekiel, is now one of my favorite moments of the show. 

• JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Loved that Darryl Episode.

Up there as one fo my fave episodes along with the time Carol had to off that psychotic kid, and the Series Premiere. 

• Mark Dygert
    That song is stuck in my head...
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    wouldn't them close lining half the walkers and leaving those two car further down the road make it obvious someone was there? at that point why bother moving all the other cars back into place

...or was that explosion suppose to cover that all up :P 
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    the need for the explosives outweighed the stealth but they wanted cars to block the road and keep the horde there... buuuuut then they drove down the other side of the empty highway when leaving. *throws hands up*
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Whew, what happened to TWD? We now have a kingdom with knights and horsies, we have a morose band of Mad-Max-junkyard-dwellers that speak Yoda-ese. Oh, and modern-day Amazon warriors. All about three years after the breakdown, certainly a very short timeframe for creating own culture and mannerisms?
    And all of these seemingly half a mile apart, after having wandered all over a sparsely populated and ill supplied east coast for months and months in earlier seasons.

And what's with Carol, how can she turn so annoying so quickly :(

(NB, haven't watched ep 11 yet)
  • Mark Dygert
    Carol became too popular and fan favorites always get dicked over. That's their mission find something you like and smash it.

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I liked Carol is little chunks. I liked when she would appear, when she's helpful to the plot, but I'm really over her remorse, and telling people she doesn't want to be part of anything.

I do wish they stop these episodes that feel like they just drag on, because they didn't write enough content to sustain an hour long plot.
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    sure is interesting how the quality can vary so much from half season to half season. not feeling this one at all. wondering what the turnover rate is for production staff. always heard the shooting schedule is grueling. 
  • throttlekitty
    Carol was OP and had to be nerfed, just like Daryl.

But seriously, what was up with all the internet trolls all managing to show up at the junkyard in the same outfit and willingly discard the use of language while somehow sustaining their numbers? That whole sequence and soundtrack really took me out of the show.

I can't remember, is the Prison that far away? They left a tank there.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I find https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kxPiCm2Lk sums up my feelings about the TV series pretty well 

Warning: spoilers
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Carol was OP and had to be nerfed, just like Daryl.

But seriously, what was up with all the internet trolls all managing to show up at the junkyard in the same outfit and willingly discard the use of language while somehow sustaining their numbers? That whole sequence and soundtrack really took me out of the show.

I can't remember, is the Prison that far away? They left a tank there.
    Daryl threw a grenade down the tank's barrel 
  • alonzo
    Offline / Send Message
    alonzo polycounter lvl 11
    I know, the thread is old (2+ years), but out of curiosity - is someone here still watching the series?
  • Polygoblin
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I tried giving it another chance recently but lost interest again. Eventually gave up on the comics too. Got bored I guess. 
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    @Polygoblin, if you want any closure, I'd recommend pushing through the comics. They recently completed the series, so no more comics. It was a pretty good ending too. Sadly, the show will never be able to match it though, because of their choices to deviate the character deaths.

I'm still watching, but beginning to get bored of their terrible use of time, in each episode. For a while, I was sticking with it, to see it to the end, but I'm growing tired of seeing them dismantle great characters and events, from the comics. I don't expect them to follow the comics exactly, but if they are going to change something, it should be for the better. This new season feels like Season 2, of just moping around, doing nothing
  • akiratang
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    I still loving the TV show personally. I get somewhat excited waiting for each episode.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I hope Carol kills Alpha... I just want them to go all out one on one.... I thought that at some point Fear the Walking Dead cast, and Walking Dead are going to meet up, as in the entire group not just the events that have happened. I still watch both shows. I have never read the comics. I don't I would be able to enjoy the show if I got into the comic book storyline.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    After I figured out this just about hitting each other in the face instead of finding out what's this all about I got bored 
  • another caveman
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Still watching here... but it's more for background sound than anything 
    I remember reading a post above, which made a good point about restoring a point to all of this. I'm all for the storyline being put back on track to finding a cure or discovering something new along those lines.  Anything other than the typical bad guy/group confrontation + needing to relocate would be refreshing to see.

... still holding out hope for the Rick story arc to return