Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    so sexy, I'm in love with your topo <3
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    The highpoly is one sexy beast Gav, I can see why you wouldn't want to hurt its shape. But before tossing out the chaingun I would just really take it too the chopping block to see what you can do with it. If you do have to get rid of something I would lose the knife first. It looks like its just stuck on him and dosnt flow as well as the other items. And it is on his back so its not going to be seen nearly as much as the chain gun. My suggestions for cutting the tris on it would be;

A-Reduce the number of sides on the long thin portions of the 3 barrels.
    B-Reduce the number of sides on the center tube that sits between the barrels since its hidden by those 2 discs from many angles anyways.
    C-get rid of that small disc thats sitting just slightly above the surface of the front disc.
    D-Maybe remove that second loop thats sitting close to the front of the big cylinder that the barrels come out of.
    E-Terminate some loops that give the side of the gun body shape so you dont have so many running into that circle part on the side.

As for the char,
    F-Maybe take out one of the loops that runs down his chest and then just slide one over to compensate, since you seem to have a good amount of tris there but its kind of a flat stomach so some of them dont seem to be holding much shape.
    G-The nose rings on the knees could be reduced after you bake since they are pretty high right now.
    H-Looks like there might be an extra loop that dosnt do much in that cylinder on his hip.
    I-Maybe get rid of that little extra bevel on the top of the grenades, maybe.
    J-Is this really needed? Might be able to cut some of that.

But again these are just suggestions, most of which could be wrong. Anyway I hope some of this helps. Keep up the great work.

Paintover.
    http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gavpaintover.jpg
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    GJ gavrolak! I am sending you some noods of me for texture reference. I think that I have the perfect skin match for your character. Keep up the good work dude!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Don, Kessler: <3

nrek: Wow, thanks man! I followed your advice in some of the areas :)

This is where the character sits now, 9991 tris:

cleric_wip_14b.jpg

In order to fit in the chain gun I would need to find at least 1k (if i wanted the gun to not be super blocky) which I really think would damage the overall look of the character itself. Even chopping out the obviously unneeded parts (scrapping a grenade or pouch, getting rid of the boot rings, etc., I still don't think it would make enough room for the gun.

For me, the end goal is to just have the best looking character I can for my portfolio. I'm afraid that by over optimizing it, I will be sacrificing the quality of the final product..just to fit into the budget (which I personally think is too low) of the competition. So, what I'm thinking of doing is just making the character for the comp as is, pretty much, then once all is said and done...make the gun for him. Sort of two versions :P

Let me know what you think!
    Gav
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    Damn, that's bad news.

If you sacrifice the machinegun, maybe you can make the handgun bigger (without adding too much poly), and put it in the other way, 'cause he has to grab it with his big hand so as he don't fuck himself up with the recoil (that's just a suggestion :)).
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, Gav! i really like how topology flows on this piece, i can't see places, where it wrong- it's very clean.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Ah come on!
    Don't give up!
    I know you can fit the the gun. I know you can!!
    Personally, the distribution seems a little wonky to me. IMO you have way too many polys in the details while leaving larger areas pretty sparse. I realize you want super rounded edges. However, I think all the teeny tiny little edges can go too that will not show up once you have all the ambient and color applied. The circle on the handle of the sword is pretty high poly too. Redundant edge loops on the back as well.
    I know you can get this...I'm planning to budget 6.5k for my dude, 2.5k for the chick and then 500k for the weapon it'll be tight. But that leaves 500 polys to fix wonky edges and some PFX stuff.
    Just do it!
    B
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Kzo: Thanks man :) No worries, the chaingun will make an appearance after the fact.
    conte: Thanks man, your entry is looking NICE
    Parnell: Thanks man, I chopped it down a bit more, but I don't think I could squeeze that gun in and both have them looking the way I want. Even after chopping out all the smaller bits, I'd still need hundreds...I think I shot myself in the foot by adding the gear :\ After I submit, I plan on working more on this to make it the way I want it to be :)

Alright, started baking down the maps and got them to a place I'm happy with. I still have some cleanup to do but will most likely do that as I start texturing.

cleric_wip_15.jpg

Thanks!
    Gav
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice Gav, you made baby jesus fucking cry not having that gun. But it will look sexy on the folio im sure. Keep at it man!
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Without the gun, visually he looks a bit 'southpaw' heavy. Any plans on that front or are you keeping it as-is?
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looks clean, gav!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    great bake :)

although you're making me feel a bit depressed, because if you can't get this budget to fit one guy and a gun in nicely, how am i gonna do mine with lots of eyes, extra limbs, multiple weapons and items? :o
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay, cake.

ps. it's yummy cake too :P
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Do it right. Model him another cannon inside the limit and spill some high poly on it. It doesn't have to be as geo mad as the last one and it could still balance it back out. What do you think?
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Great job with the bake Gav, it tuned out pretty sweet. Cant wait to see some color on him.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    LOL you can optimize that more!

You're Gavin fucking GOULDEN!

Collapse every second edge loop on the BACK of the bullet, and delete the faces you dont see.

The face could use a few optimizations, and behind the knee pads, don't need that many loops!

CMON dude, the gun was so awesomesauce!

You can't show us that, then take it away!

XD
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Aftermath: Alright, alright, here it is! Don't read too much into this though, I'm still an atheist...crying babies just annoy me :D

Zatoichi: Cheers, guns in now...hope that balance sit out a bit more :)

conte: Thanks dude! Glad you're diggin it

Mop: Thanks man! You're thread's becoming a big inspiration for another project I have in mind, would love to try out the techniques you're using there. I've added the gun in (dig some serious chopping down...) though I'm not ENTIRELY happy with it and could really use, like, 200 more tris...I think it's manageable. Sorry for shaking your confidence haha.

Don: <3

Dreamer: I think that's a great idea. I reworked a bunch of the gun to help it fit in.

nrek: Thanks!

jox: Hahaha, yeah...I'm kind of a big deal (in some circles...which is pretty much my cat) Hope this update makes you feel better.

ALRIGHT, under the stress of peer pressure (looking at Parnell and Jox) I've done some serious cutting and managed to get the gun in under the 10k limbo bar. Still got about 20 tris to play with and I TOTALLY plan on using them somewhere. I had to sacrifice in some areas like the gear, the back of the hood (Which I may end up redoing AGAIN if time permits...it looks kind of funky from the back, but not so bad from the camera angle that will be used most often...we'll see) ..also remade the rings and some of the gun to fit into the budget. As said above, I'm fairly happy with it but would be much more comfortable if I had a few more hundred tris to play with (...maybe I'll polish it up more after fact, eh?)

Now, I think it's finally at a stage where I can start focusing on colours...all the clenup and any reworking will be done then. Sort of fixing small problems as I run into them.

Thanks for the support guys :D

cleric_wip_16.jpg
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Bravo man, glad you were able to squeeze the gun in there.:thumbup:
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its cooler w/ the gun. dont even notice the lost tris
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    the normal reads very well. Good job mate :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome bake. Now texture the sucker!

Great stuff dude.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    If you win, or place in the top 20. I just want you to remember it's because we pushed you to get the gun in there.;)
    Don't forget that!
    Seriously, this is bad ass. I can't even tell there's a difference in the polycount. I'm also shocked by all the definition in the chest area and it's all baked! Very cool, I'm jealous. You might want to watch out for the rig though since the chest straps could get a little 'bendy/stretchy' looking if you pose him into something crazy.
    thx!
    B
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Well done with the bake man that looks great...echo all the other kids about the gun, definitely helps to balance him out.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Good lord.

I've always had a thought that there's really phenomenal and inspiring artwork out there. Above and beyond that, there is work that is so good that's it demoralizing. This, sir, is close to demoralizingly great work!

Fantastic!

Off to resurrect my business career!
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man, truly, i was doubting if thatall details would bake nice and cleane, but you did it! Looks great!
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    Yes man! That's the spirit!
    It looks really great! Very nice work!
    Can't wait to see this one colored!
  • Demotion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this thread is absolutely insane. This is probably my favorite design I've seen so far.
  • haZe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haZe greentooth
    Looking great, Gav. Glad you snuck the gat in there. <3
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    nrek: Thanks man :)

55joe: Cheers

Belltann: Thanks buddy :)

Xaltar: Getting there heheh

Parnell: Thanks for pushing me to do this man, it does add a lot and i was a fool to think otherwise. The pose is going to be limited, like you were saying, to minimalize stretching and all...but I've got an idea to make it look okay :) Thanks again man...and your entry is looking SICK. One of GA's finest.

gavku: Thanks!

Gonzo: Haha, thanks man.

morte: Thanks man, glad you're digging it

Kzo: Thanks! Check out the colour tests below :)

Demotion: Aww, shucks

haze: Thanks :D

Alright, just a quick one for tonight. Going to get into the nitty gritty bits here soon...just wanted to throw up this quick pass on the colours to show the direction it's going in (base don the earlier colour tests) and get your opinion on what you prefer...red or green...(though, looking at all of the logos on your t-shirts...I'm thinking green is going to win :) )

Just a quick pass, no spec or anything to give the materials the love they need...just playing with colour scheme. Thinking I might be working too dark, might see wha tI can do about that..as well as push out the copper colour a little more from the black base (thanks KP! )

cleric_wip_17c.jpg

Let me know what you think,
    Gav
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh god, it's nice man, I like the green, purple is bleh
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    not too shabby, mr.!
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great job on the bake, really glad you managed to get the gun in there. I like the colour scheme allbeit a tad dark for my liking. In my honest opinion i would remove his shirt covering his chest and leave that exposed but i guess that would affect your sculpt. The only reason i suggest that is because for some reason, with the head being the only exposed section of skin it kind of feels unbalanced to me. Maybe exposing a little bit more would tie him together a bit more?

Anywho, cool stuff :) One of my favourites for sure.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Bake looks great. Nice to see you got the gun in there!

I like the Red slightly better than Green. It seems to just fade in and doesn't draw my eye as much as the red. Though Green vs Red is not as big a' deal as the dark purple/black colour that you've got over everything. It's not doing the detail any favors and is really, as Don put it, "bleh" for the most prominent colour. It might work to just leave the shirt pants and loincloth black but make the base metal a different colour. Maybe try something lighter and with more contrast.

Not much praise I can give this guy that hasn't already been given. Great work!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    oh snap! I like the idea of green better, but the red really pops in the composition, so that's my vote. Maybe you could subdue the red to a brown-ish with some green accents.
  • woods
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking incredible, but I'm not sure the color of the armor is working. Red works for the clothes though.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dude cool update like all the little green bits on the big hand, i think it might be nice for the shirt piece to be a different color/ shade from the black metals, it just feels really dark. kinda torn on the color red vs green, i like both

-Woog
  • Spug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spug polycounter lvl 12
    I like the purple version...its feels like it breaks up the character more. Great stuff gav!
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I think there should be more contrast between the base layer (scarf, shirt) and the armour plates. Could try making the shirt dirty white and leave the scarf red?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah more red to the red, actually just slightly brighter colours would be nice its all a bit dark.
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    Yep the red one is better, more agressive. I'm not quite sure about the brown (bronze?) parts. Maybe because it's too matte or too dark.

I agree with Ged, it's a cleric not a stalker, light him up a bit :).
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I like red- but navy blue might be cool too-
  • polysmooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome character work so far...stunning. I been watching
    this entry from afar over at total and its gonna be some strong
    competition. I've been doing cinematic models for a while
    but this is my first stab at a game model. Couple questions...
    Did u take lover sub-d levels into max and topo over them and
    render to texture for the normals? or did u take it to xnormal
    after the topo? I know it's prolly a no-brainer for u guys but
    I'm super new to the game stuff...:poly142:
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Don: <3
    r4ptur3: Cheers :)
    frubes: Thanks man, I'm trying a slightly different direction. Let me know what you think!
    Frump: I agree. Though black/purple/blue was the original idea from my paintovers, I'm not sure if it's working as well on the textures. Let me know what you think of the new choices...
    Slum: <3
    woods: Thanks man, still hammering away, check out the updates :)
    woog: Thanks!
    Spug: Thanks man :)
    LEViATHAN: I agree, thanks for the feedback dude
    Ged , Kzo: Thanks! There's an updated red version below
    konstruct: Thanks man, did a little blue version just for you :)

Alright, another quick update. I've done some more tinkering with the colours. Trying something new with the metal plates, giving them some greenish colour. Also trying some new colours on the spandex and scraf, revisions of old ideas as well as some suggestions mentioned earlier.

Basically, all that has been touched are the metal plates, everything else is just being blocked in :)

A
    cleric_wip_18.jpg
    B
    cleric_wip_18b.jpg
    C
    cleric_wip_18c.jpg
    D
    cleric_wip_18d.jpg

Let me know what you think!
    Gav
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find it strange that you want to make his hood and tabard/loin cloth the most saturated and brightest piece on him, Perhaps tone it down and any of those colors will do :P

as for my fav out of the ones posted it's def the last for me. (least saturated and bright of the bunch oddly enough) LOL

btw I love how those skulls in the armor are pop'n, the metal treatment so far is groovy too, this is going to be WIN WIN WIN!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    B is the best imho, and damn would it look way better if the glowy bits were yellow instead of green... That shade of green is kinda hard to base a pallette around i think.

My biggest concern with your color choices is simply that there are too many different colors. He's too vibrant i think
  • Jeff MD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great output this is.

A and D, but A will be my preference. distinguishes him with polycount colors.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like A personally Gav, here is another sample of playing with some different hues in photoshop. I think right now you have to much bronze going on with the model. Maybe break it up in places with some polished alum or steel. The neck piece and loin cloth areas have a more grenish tint to them and the body suit is more grey/black with some dirt on the chest and on the exposed arm to show wear and tear. Hopefully these idea help you more then slow you down haha. Keep it up man you dont need any crits from us you know whats right :).

Heres my mockup hope you don't mind I didnt change up the model entirely thats why it looks messy I just edited a few parts to get the general idea across..

forgavin.jpg
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah never mind on the blue :P I`m liking what aftermath is suggestin
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Gav.

After thinking about it for a while I think Aesir was right. There are too many colours. You could just establish as little as two and work with that. In these instances (hope you don't mind a recolour job) I brought more of the reds and greens into it. In A the clothes and underlying elements are using the red while the green is in the armour plating and glowey parts. It's essentially the same with B. I established the clothes and underlying as green and brought the armour plates into a more orangey warm area so that they really pop off of the body. Playing with the complementary colours and warm/cool for contrast.

Personally I'm really liking the effects of B. The armour stands out and has a pretty consistent overall colour to it. The Clothes definitely fall back behind the armour and gear helping show the different shapes of the model.

I've never really considered myself to be too good with colour so take this for what it's worth. :p

gavk.jpg
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aftermath wrote: »

forgavin.jpg

this one is my fave...i think he needs more neutral colour, not too saturated....this one is close :)
    good work man!
    A