Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks guys :D

Going to go with C2. Got to start thinking of a funky chain gun for him to lug around. Either some kind of ornate, yet somewhat battered and piecemeal, chain gun....or a giant flame thrower that shoots holy water...

Started with the base of the body tonight. Nothing fancy, just some busy work to fill out the evening :)

cleric_wip_01.jpg

Gav
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Small tweak before bed as a test, sucking the gut in and a few different proportion changes..let me know what you think!

cleric_wip_01b.jpg

G
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Solid base dude. The polyflow and distro looks great for ZB. The proportion changes look good.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    I like proportions. Remind me Heavy from TF2.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    nice base Gav, maybe move the pelvis back a little, leg angles seem a bit forced in the side view
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Nice basemesh Gav. I'm like staring at that tiny picture to see where you chose to make your junctions. Gives me good ideas :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey guys! Thanks for the replies. Kite, thanks for the feedback, man, greatly appreciated. Moved his feet ahead among many other changes seen below :)

Just a quick update for me today, I've got to do some other work tonight, sadly. Changed the proportions, again, to try and look more intimidating. I couldn't help but feel that, before, he looked just "fat" rather than tough, like a line backer..built, but still has a gut. Let me know what you think!

cleric_wip_01c.gif

Gav
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It's looking much better now! Definitely tougher and more intimidating.

And as someone already mentioned, it's a lot like the shape of the Heavy from TF2. If you haven't already, I guess you could give that a look for reference.

Looking forward to future updates.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yupp, the latest is looking good to me! :D
  • Shagrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the description for the cleric although I'm not a big fan of the proportions ;P

I somehow pictured him a bit slimmer... something like Alexander Anderson from the "helsing" manga but with a big revolver.

But anyway, keep on working. Im looking forward to some progress ^^
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Still works for me. Just looks like he packed on 30 lbs of muscle or so.
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Hi gav. Great job I excitedly anticipate your sculpting.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Hurry up, you bore me. zzZZzzz
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    ThatDon wrote: »
    Hurry up, you bore me. zzZZzzz

Speak for yourself, we're waiting on updates from you too!:thumbup:
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Ironhawk: Thanks :)
    Frump: Thanks man, yeah the Heavy is definitely in my reference folder for this guy, heh
    Mezz: Thanks!
    Shagrath: Yeah, definitely going more heavy weight and rough around the edges with him. hope you grow to like him, haha
    kamui: Yeah, I think this works more for what I had in mind. Lugging around the gear he'll have, he'd have to pack on some beef
    kessler: I excitedly anticipate YOU..down there.
    don: Oh you.

Been messing around with blocking in some details on his body. some area sare going to be covered up, actually a lot of it will be by gear, so I didn't go too crazy with it. One area that won't be, however, is his face. I spent a little more time on that area, just sketching out a head...not sure if it's "the one" or anything...but it's a start!

Also played with the idea of making half of his face scarred up from previous fights with the demon kind. Obviously, it'd be much higher detailed, but I just wanted to see if it'd work or not.

cleric_wip_02.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Gav
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great to me. I was a bit worried that with the new proportions + a minigun he'd be a bit too similar to the Heavy, but that shouldn't really be a problem with gear and such, I am now guessing. The idea of a scar is cool, but maybe you'd want to make it unique in some way, like really nasty or cursed-looking from some wicked demon's poisonous claws..?

Excellent steady pace so far.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Most impressive, I'm liking the scar but it's not working on the neck part. You also might wanna try and harden/style up some of those forms(mainly check bone) in the face to make him look a tad more evil or mean at least.

Good job though, I gotta get crackin on my 3D now too :p
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Nice looking face Gav, he's one gruff looking SOB. I'm also really liking the proportions.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Lots of character in the face allready, proportions are also cool, aside from his giant thumb :)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work, dude.
    The basemesh is ace and the tweaks you've made really improved it. Not much to crit on as of yet as you seem to be doing a fairly good job on your own so far.
    Looking forward to more updates.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Tight, man, i'm digging these shapes a lot. I'd almost like to say to bulk up the calves just a bit, might retain more of a sense of mobility without losing the cool proportions, but i don't know. Keep it up.
  • Helixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Helixx polygon
    I like the new proportions better. Like you said, he now looks tough instead of just being a fatty. The head looks like it's going in the right direction too.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks guys!

Still toying around with it, everything's in a pretty loose state right now and will be tightened up once the gear and everything is finalized (knowing what will be seen once the gear is on, what will need more love, etc.)

DKK, Kamui, casey, Helixx: Thanks :D
    Vrav: Yeah, I'm definitely just trying to keep the heavy an inspiration...i think with his gear, attitude and generally being in a different style the similarities will begin to stop :) The scars being infected is cool idea. I think i'm definitely going to go with something more simple...like a messed up eye or a few rakes over his face rather than being like Two - Face...less is more in this case, i think
    Don: Yeah, it's still all pretty loose. I've sharpened up some of his features, as you suggested, but will probably be tightening it up / fooling around with it here and there for weeks yet, heh
    fightpunch: Thanks man, hands have been altered a bit
    Sup: cheers, Touched up the caves a bit, I'll be throwing on boots over top of this, so areas like that are kind of..a guide, I guess, for armor and gear. Touched it up none the less, hehe

Alright, threw in some primitives / REALLY rough models to help show the direction I want his gear and stuff to go and also to start thinking about his colours. As for his left arm, I'm not sure now if I'll be going with mega claw of doom. If I do, that means he has to use the chain gun with one hand...which might seem weird, I'm not sure. Still toying with the idea of having it :)

I'm thinking for that arm I'm going to try a "growing metal" kind of look that incorporates the arm into some of the body. By giving it some magical sort of properties, I think I can claim it as my magical item and side step any problems with hmm having too much tech..

Blah blah blah, less talkie more workie-
    cleric_wip_03.jpg

Gav
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Looking awesome Gav, no crits heh.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    looks really great man, Looking forward to this!
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Great layin Gav. I know they're a small player in the grand scheme of things, but a bit more structure in the feet would be helpful I think. They are making for a neat contrast in mass right now, but they probably need to be unified into the whole before I'll be able to see the whole thing.

Definitely a bit of Cable in there, and it works really well. I think you're safe with the magical arm too, especially if you keep it more of a dark irony colour then a chrome.

Really look forward to following the development on this one, great process so far :)
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Using a chaingun with 1 arm would work. You could do something that clips high on his forearm and hang underneath, and he would grip a handle with his hand. you could also include another handle for his other hand if you wanted.

This is a preference thing but I liked the pecs before. They're looking a bit saggy now and his belly is a bit too flabby. I think I prefer the buff cut look with a big gut but that's just me.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I think you should make the deltoid smaller, to make the arm appear more. Right now it looks kinda small even if it isn't. I also think it would add to the sihlouette if you moved the end of the deltoid upwards and make it tighter.

I like the face alot though. Will be very interesting to see future progress. :)
  • jbrophy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbrophy polycounter lvl 17
    Looking great G. That belly is horribly good :)
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    very cool shapes... i like it alot. actually i like it a bit better without all the junk you painted on :)
  • notebookguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really tight drawings
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    nice work gav, looks like your are definitely stepping it up for this comp!
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    very cool
    not sure if i like the arm shapes in the side view, something is bothering me and i guess it's the volumes of the lower arm, not sure tho
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    kickass Gavin, really cool

One thing i would change would be the chest area, looks quite weird. Give him better deltoids too.

keep up the good work dude! i'm really enjoying your entry ^^
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice sculpt Gavin, I like how he looks like he is prepared for antyhing. Only thing that bothers me is the thickness of the hand and wrist coming off on the forarm, from the front it feels good, just from the side it feels to thick to me. Small crit, but only thing I could come up with:) Looking forward to the final piece of this!

Spark
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    looking awesome,

i agree with spark though, was about to comment about the forearm looking a bit too thin, and the arm in general maybe being a bit too straight:

gav.jpg

kickass sculpt! :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    fightpunch, ericdigital, j, Stefan, notebookguy: Thanks!

kary: Yeah, I need to figure out what I'm doing with the feet. Some kind of lightly armored boots, maybe western themed? I've been looking at a lot of Darkwatch stuff, hehe. Cable (the old one...not weird messiah one) is definitely a big influence :)

Kamui: Cheers. Yeah, that's a possibility as well...maybe making some kind of brace to help out. I've trimmed him up a bit, reworked the pecs, arms...touched up the gut, but I think I'm going to keep him a little chunky :)

AimBiz: Thanks. I raised the delts a bit to show more arm, tried to break it up some more!

spacemonkey: Thanks Tim! Yeah man, really trying to do something different this year...different than what I'm used to, at least :D

Neox: Touched up the arms, let me know if this is looking better, hehe

Blaizer: Touched up the chest and shoulder area. I want to really push his..broad shoulderness..but I think this latest revision helps break up the arm a bit.

Spark: Thanks man, you're entry is looking really sick..and it's still early on! Updated his arms along with a bunch of other touch ups

JFletcher: Cool, thanks for the paintover, it's a big help. I can totally see what you mean. I bent his arm a bit, beefed up the forearm and touched up the wrist. Your entry is looking awesome, definitely one I'll be watching, hehe

Just a quick update for now, going to work a little more on props and stuff this afternoon. did a bunch of overall tweaks, updated the face some, touched up the chest, gut and shoulders. Pumped up the forearms and touched up the wrist / hands to give the arm a better shape.

cleric_wip_03b.jpg

Gav
  • morte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Style reminds me TF2 a bit. Love those proportions
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Much better!

Just noticed, his index finger looks too short. I also think his bicep should be more defined to match the triceps and the trapezius should be smaller since from the back it looks like he has no neck.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Awesomesauce! Glad to have you on our side this year.
    The paintover with the gear is looking fucking slick! I love it.
    *FAP FAP FAP*
  • wicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Gav, I like it
    imo he would be better if he wear some military helmet
    Cheers!
  • Shagrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to like this a lot more with him getting some armor and clothing. He's got a bit of a Hulk thing going on and I definately like that ;P I like the silhouette you get from the front view a lot. Great work!
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    nice , my favorite entry so far, good stuff man
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks for the comments guys!

morte: Cheers, Heavy's a big influence for this guy :)
    Aimbiz: thanks dude, I'll look into that.
    casey: Haha, I'm just glad Ol' Greentooth took me in this year...what with past mistakes and all.
    wicz: Thanks
    Shagrath: Hehe, cool stuff, glad you're liking it :D
    meshiah: Wow, thanks!

Alright, small update...this took a little longer than expected...holy hand grenade.

cleric_wip_04.jpg

A few of these will be strapped onto his belt. Basically, the idea is that this is like some kind of lawn dart from hell (or heaven..whatever...) underhand toss, the weight forces the spike to always lands first...silver spike that can pierce through the undead...and then the container is a thurible full of holy stuff...so it's like the love child of a lawn dart and a smoke bomb.

The chains are still placeholder...I'm not sure how many polys i want to devote to it...I think with all the gear i'll be pushing 10k as it is, hehe

Gav
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Ace modeling! I really love the bulk this guy's got to him.
    I think you could still pad out the forearm from the side view, but other than that he's awesome. The holy hand grenade is funny :D
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    Nice flail grenade. Reminds me of gears :)

I'm probably just nitpicking but because the T handle on it looks like it's meant to be grabbed, it might make more sense if the middle handle part was narrower or rotated 90 degrees. That way it looks like it would be more comfortable gripping it between the middle and fourth fingers. I'm only saying this because it looks like those are finger grooves on the T bar.
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    I'm loving this, great style.
    I can just feel the "thickness" to him.

-nutsy