Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Gavimage

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    pretty sweet! are you going to introduce an asymmetrical stance when it is all said and done? Did you completely scrap the other parts, or just hide them? What's the thumb look like -- does it have full mobility, or is it like a turtle scrunched up in a shell? Ok, that's enough prodding from me lol. Sick stuff, as usual.
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    Hah! This kicks ass Gav. GO GO GO!
  • newman3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newman3d polycounter lvl 17
    Reminds me of someone ... can't quite put my one giant hand on it though.....
    This guy is looking sick. (the good sick, not the puke one)
  • TBone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great model detailing. The feel of the armor is sweet, heavy and ornate. I like it!
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    The_Kozmonaut: Exactly dude, glad you agree. I've popped the bicep piece back in to get some feedback on if I should keep it or not. I like it both ways :)

Don: You know I love you.

Aftermath: Definitely. Think I will incorporate Greentooth on his pouches and such that will be on his bandoleers as well.

r4ptur3: Cheers dude, appreciate the feedback. Everything's pretty much hidden if not shown here just in case. Haven't "really" thought of the stance yet..The thumb has fairly limited mobility. There's a panel chunked out so it can bend back and forth and could rotate around inside the big mitt...but it's definitely limited. He won't be striking any Dan poses, that's for sure.

Ironhawk, catstyle, LoJack, kongi, Crash, TBone: Thanks!

newman: Haha, yeah, I think I might have seen that on a BLOGG in the past. Thanks :)

bahamutnemesis: He's got a thumb, just tucked away like a turtle :D Glad you're liking him.

Alright, after a few iterations I've got something worked out for the armor. Basically following the same "theme" and layered paneling that the gauntlet has. The problem i'm seeing is that his leg would have limited mobility...no david lee roth kicks or anything...but I figure with the giant chain gun and mega fist...moving isn't a high priority for him.

Things to add (things that are obviously missing in the below image or hinted towards) are the bandoleers of bullets and bags of goodies...his cape thingy..detailing the loin cloths and belts around his waist..still more underarmour / bodysuit detail..got to figure out what to do with the right hand...boots! (which will be similar to the rest of his armor setup) make the pistol on his stomach and make the chain gun...and anything else that comes up :D

cleric_wip_07.jpg

Let me know what you think!
    Gav
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18

I think that's sex.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    it looks really cool,

i think there might just be a bit too much detail, its kind of hard to see the borders of larger geometry under all the dots and skulls.

something about the large hand is throwing me off, but it might just be the thumb not being visible.

other than that its brilliant, very cool detailing! :)
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    hey Gav, I agree with JFletcher that I think you are getting to many areas of detail. Awesome though they are, my eye just wants some larger smooth areas to pop out the goodness. Great job and loving the sculpts

Spark
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Looks awesome. Although, the pose of the big hand is a bit akward.
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    Hey gav, this is looking real nice man but you might wanna cut down on all those rivets, it's really just making your model look noisiey (Mainly on the back of the model) :(
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just space them out a bit, maybe 30% less rivets.

Very cool progress man! Lovin it
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I dig it so far. I don't think there's really much problem with the amount of rivets or whatever those edge bumps are. I do think they should be smaller or stick out less though. Like what JFletcher and Spark mentioned. The detail is too high overall, though, you could always do work with the textures and colours to draw the eye and define the larger shapes.

Can't wait for more. Nice to see you updating almost nightly.
  • Bummer6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bummer6 polycounter lvl 15
    HOLY CRAP!! You sir, are a winner!
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    Nice! this is looking pimp Gav, it is getting a little busy tho, but pimp it is!
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    This guy is coming together really nicely. don`t really mind the amount of clutter that much. as long as its not painted in a million different colors i think it`ll be fine. ok so maybe the amount of rivets are a bit too much..
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Rick: cheers dude, glad you like it.

Jfletcher: Thanks man. Yeah, with the hand I think it might just be either the angle or it's posing. It's definitely (intenionally) obnoxious :) I've thinned out the bolts around the edging in some areas, I think it helps some areas, especially the back lates, read a bit better.

Spark; Thanks. I'm hoping the newest update is a little easier on the eyes. I've thinned out the bolts so that they're not peppered anywhere and reveal more of the edging on the plates. I'm thinking too that, once this is textured, the different areas will pop more as the trim and body of the plates will be different materials. I was thinking of going with a silvery trim and dark grey - black worked metal.

M.Banana - Thanks :)

Don: Thinned them out some, mostly on the back :)

408 - Cheers, they've been spread out...glad you're liking him.

Frump - Thanks. Yeah, I agree. i have spaced them out but I think once it is textured the difference will be more noticeable at a glance. Right now, it's screaming "OMG DETAIL!!!"...but i'm hoping that once it is all textured, the use of different colours will make the bigger shapes stand out more.

Bummer6: Thanks!

Slingshot: Cheers dude. Trying to bring it back a little more, hehe.

bilbana: Thanks! I agree.

Alright, as said in the above comments, I have spread the bolts out a little, mostly in the back area but also along the rib plates and, i think, some in the legs. This is sort of a small update, I seem to be working fairly slow this weekend, but I have added a few accessories.

In that belt area on his gut will be a holstered, oversized (of course) pistol to make use of these bullets. Just underneath that will be a tattered loincloth (like in the back.) Tonight, I'm going to keep plugging away at this and tomorrow, hopefully, get onto those boots. I have afairly good idea what I want to do with them!

cleric_wip_08.jpg

Gav
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very solid to me. It's hard to picture everything that the hue and material separations are going to bring -- it might be worth rendering the figure with some sort of skin tone to just pop that out from the gear even more.

Great sense of weight, and potential of force. Anyone holding up that glove is going to be able to rip my arms off etc ;) The boots are going to be pretty important to root that all to the ground though.

The pistol will be a great addition, he needs something flashy on that side for balance, and it'll be an attack with reach. An old school pistol should fit in here in a really cool way... heavy armour, bandoliers and mysticism is a winning formula :D
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along dude! I like the layout of the pieces but I find the detail is almost distracting in some areas. I'd second a color pass to hopefully unify some of the areas and play down the hyper details.
    I'd also suggest taking another pass on the cloth around the neck and remove the mirror.
    B
  • BlackNull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Gav! You're far along already, makes me feel even more behind haha Looking great! I like how the big pieces on the body breaks up the silhouette, I would try to break up that silhouette within the big arm even more. Like mentionned before, the detail makes it hard to differenciate each piece, but I hear your plan with the colors. Keep it up man!

cheers,

pierre
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bullet belt around the waist = win :)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    tooo many skullz)))) joking.
    really cool stuff, man. so many details!
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    great details man, but i agree it feels a tad noisy. dig that fish shoulder piece.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Really kool man....nice details. Other then the rivets looking a little busy, I think it looks pretty freakin' stellar dude.

Keep it up ;)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I'm exited to see the boots! :D
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    kary: Cheers dude. Yeah, will be some kind of flashy revolver maybe :) Though, you'll probably only really see the handle and holster for it. Regardless, it'll be fun :) Thinking once he drops the the chaingun in a fight (if that HAD to happen) he whips out the pistol and smashy fist. Check out the pic below for some colour tests

Parnell: At first I thought, "Hey, you stole modeling_man's avatar!" :D Thanks man, did another quick pass on the collar and am testing out some colours below..

Blacknull: Thanks Pierre! Good point on the hand, got a feeling I'll be messing around with the trimming till the end, hehe

JFletcher: No doubt :D Your entry's looking SICK.

conte: Never enough!!! Thanks, hehe

Onelung: cheers.

Nynedown: Thanks!

Alright, did some more work on this guy today. Mostly focusing on the boots and a few other small details. Don't mind the warping on the heels and on the apron, I've thrown them in quickly to see if they would work or not..still might end up moving them around (or even cutting the apron if it is too much...or just not working)

cleric_wip_09.jpg

Also, as requested, I've started thinking about colours. I bounced around some ideas with a friend and sort of came to these steps. So far I'm leaning towards D. This bronze/grey-black metal colour scheme on the armor. I think it gives him a demonic, Steampunk kind of feel...

cleric_wip_09colours.jpg

Gav
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Gav this is looking really impressive. I have a small issue with the glove/big hand though. The fingers are spread out in a semi circle rather than following a hand shape and they are all more or less the same size with very little indication of knuckles or joints. Basically I still think the fingers look like a collection of sausages but covered in techy details. Hope you dont mind the crit but this is the only thing that strikes me, the rest of it is amazing

I like the colours on B but with the shine of D
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Swweeeeet! I think D is rad.
  • bilbana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Have to agree with ged on the hand. And I think you should drop the croch cloth as i makes his legs sort of blend into his body.
    Other than that, amazing work. I like D
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Is his right index finger too short?
  • gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow
    B and c design looks good bcoz metal color
  • Belltann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belltann polycounter lvl 17
    Wow! Im away for a couple of days and your nearly finished! :) Looking good so far.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks cool, his feet are bugging me, it looks like his ankles have been knocked from the side inwards

i'd go for D but with some red somewhere
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D, go for it champ!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    You're killing it so far dude!!!...D is the best starting point imo.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    B & D kick ass. please, continue to take names. thanks. :)
  • lupi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D for sure! :) Love the balance u have made on him the proportions and the stylization rox! Also this detail is simply insane respect:poly142:
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Holy Crap! wow this was fast man! awesome character!

I'm always biased towards Bronze. I dig bronze in general.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    D, but I do like the glowey green bits.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    sweet work Gav, a mix of c and d for me i think
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    nice work gav :) D is pretty sweet, i also like c
  • Kamui
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamui polycounter lvl 10
    He's looking really good man. I prefer B myself.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D definitely with that kind of specularity.

to me, the armor comes off as quite ceremonial and i think the bronze look could really kick it off :)

maybe some dark red with that bronze? dunno just came to mind, something like this, but not too much:

clericwip09colours.jpg

though whatever colors you go with will look badass, really loving this model. :)

edit:

one downside is that it might look like a color scheme belonging to those darn no good habber-dashers over at cgsociety :)
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    B's color, D's shine.
  • wassum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wassum polycounter lvl 13
    the skulls in the armor reminds me of warhammer40k. I agree with JFletcher about the red if you go bronze. Take a look at the different 40k chaos armies, may give you some ideas. Looking cool, i love the proportions.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    You know I don't really like any of the colors so far to be honest.

D is the closest, because the bronze is just really cool looking, but that color green is putting my eye off for some reason. It's the right direction though.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yo man, KG sent me that paint over last night, I really agree on the bronze, the design lends itself to it really well with the long trim lines. loving the details you've put into the armor, looks really solid and beliveable despite having a fucking insanely huge hand. only thing thats kinda annyoing is the legs seem just a little too comicly small, by like 10-15%

the green glow looks a lil too sci-fi style, I liked it initially but having a massive heavy bronze hand to crush the nut sack of a demon is cooler.
  • culpin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice...i like D. and i agree with rapture...glowing green bits are pretty :)
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    dear gav,

D

luv durrrrrr.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking very cool so far, the amount of crazy little detail in there is awesome :poly108: ... (so many freaking smilies!!)

but i have to wonder, in Josh's GA thread you mentioned you were both doing hunters; this guy doesn't look very mobile for a hunter. an ass kicking lunatic maybe...