Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Gavimage

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey, thanks for the quick replies guys.

Don: Thanks man. What I was thinking with making his cape/coif thing a bit hotter is that, to me, it would lead the eyes to his face. What I'm afraid of of using a colour like green is that it might just make the character read as a greenish grey blob :S

aesir: Thanks! Trying out a colour more towards yellow for the glows..also trying to tone down the amount of colours I have going on.

Aftermath, Konstruct, Abe: Thanks guys, especially AM...always appreciate a paintover. The problem I have with this idea though is that, to me, it makes his armor seem from 2 totally different sets. I'm not really a fan of having yet another material going on for his armor, but it did give me an idea to add some tarnish to the metals as a way to start breaking it up a little and defining different elements of the model. And I definitely agree, dirt and all that jazz will be added..as I said before, I've really only touched the armor and the rest is just blocked in. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Frump: Awesome man, thank you for the paintover. I actually really like A that you did there and agree with you on having too many colours going on.

Thanks again for the replies. Not much of a change here, just more playing. Trying out something like Frump's idea, added wear and tear inspired by what aftermath did...and toned down the cape colours a little...Still not really sold on anyone in particular just yet, i seem to be bouncing back and forth between red and green. Red, to me, pops out more and helps break up the model but Green would represent my homies. Though, my indescision could be clouded by the fact that it's 4 am :)

cleric_wip_19.jpg
    cleric_wip_19c.jpg
    cleric_wip_19d.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in the latest updates definatly red the green is so subdued that it kind of just looks wrong against the similar shades of brown.

-Woog
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    woogity wrote: »
    in the latest updates definatly red the green is so subdued that it kind of just looks wrong against the similar shades of brown.

-Woog

Agreed. I don't feel the colors separate from one another and because of that a lot of your work and detail seems to be lost by the eye. If I were to see this guy off in the distance of a game I'm not sure I could pick out anything apart from maybe the glowing bits and face until he was close up. Maybe try working with some colors that contrast and pop from one another more?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    this is turning out great, i like the first variation in post #303

Though im not sure about the green lit areas, the head piece looks nice but the colour seems too clean. I pictured them in my head emitting some sort of blinding light, maybe something like this:

cleric.jpg

maybe its the color difference underneath the arm, but i feel this guy would look really neat with some sort of unholy aura coming from under the model, then again you could just do this with a light, heh :)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Fletcher- got the color theory on LOCK. although I do like the green fabric best.
  • polysmooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see u guys over here don't answer questions if u don't
    know the member...too bad.
  • Aravindan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's looking insane, definitely a winner. Fletcher's colouring has a good feel to it. I can't wait to see how this is going to come out.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    woogity: Thanks dude!
    Eclipse: Thanks man, hope you like this update.
    Jfletcher: Man, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the feedback you've given me through this characters process. If there was a Mr. Congeniality award for DW, I'd gladly nominate you for it. Your paint over really made me reconsider the glows and weather on my skull metals, I think it works much better this way..and also helped me settle more on the red cloth :) Again, thanks, this was a huge help. Yet another reason why rolling with PC was the best choice this year, by far the best feedback I've gotten (not just your pait over..but everyone contributing to my thread) in my 3 years of participating. Loving your character by the way, easily one of the best.
    konstruct: <3
    Aravindan: Thanks! Hope you dig the direction it's going.

Alright, did some more texture work. Touched a few other areas and started bringing it closer to Fletcher's paint over. got to go to sleep now...3 am :) Going to be a texturing filled weekend!

cleric_wip_20.jpg

Thanks guys, let me know what you think!
    Gav
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looking great Gav! The new white lights are soooo much cooler than the neon green ones. The textures are really coming along nicely. Few suggestions.

-Add a dark gradient that works its way up the loincloth pieces to simulate years of dust and mud stains.

- darken the leather on the chest belt, its too similar to the shirt and pouch color.

Keep it up man, cant wait to see the next update.
  • Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, really like the latest post! one hting, lookout for the normals of his scarf (from the back) they look distorted..ignore if that part is a wip ;)
    i actually think it would work better as an armor part similar to the shoudler bit...
    Also, now that u've added these dark golden bits on the armor, the knife looks a bit out of place, maybe usin gsomething similar on the grey bits?
    looking great!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Can you tone down the rim light in the shots? It's a bit too contrasty for me. Are shadows turned on for that light?
    Colors look good dude.
    B
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    nrek: Cheers man, touched on those issues you mentioned.
    Abe: Thanks man, I'll see what I can do :)
    Parnell: Thanks dude, toned down the rim a bit, started making a better ref map.

Alright, a little more texturing. Started playing with the idea of some effects coming from his magicy bits. The problem now is that they only look good from one angle, pretty much, as I do not have enough tris to make something with more volume. Right now, this guy is 10k on the nose:

cleric_wip_21.jpg

Let me know what you think!
    Gav
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a potential solution would be to leave it up to a shader, or post bloom, i doubt it would be frowned upon, and its free. :)

its looking nice, the density of the effect may be a tad high.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I feel the metal is too shiny. Not so much because metal doesn't shine that much, but because of two other reasons. THe first and most important would be that the high contrast tones you're getting out of that metal completely draws the eye in and makes it hard to leave. I don't feel inclined to look at the face at all, which I think should usually be a center point. My eye is continously drawn in to his left hip. The second would be that the shininess almost gives it more of a tacky feel rather than a badass feel.

(looks great)
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    This is really nice, Gav!!!
    Agreed with JFletcher, make the magic effect more "etheral"
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah the magic in this latest shot looks too solid/cartoony, maybe something less obvious or intrusive. love the textures on the rest of him though
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Fletcher: Thanks dude! I'll get on that. Your entry is looking amazing, got to be one of the tops
    Kzo: Thanks buddy :)
    Ged: Cheers man, I'll fix it up in my next pass.
    aesir: good points man, this has made me reconsider my render solution...and I tried throwing it into Marmoset to see how it would react. After looking at the below screen and comparing it to my previous ones, I can totally see what you mean. I think i just got a little too excited with the shader :)

Alright, just a half update...no "real" changes, just some polish and trying this guy out in Marmost. Nothing final, just trying out different rendering options...thought I'd keep you guys in the loop.

PS. Marmoset is awesome <3

cleric_wip_21b.jpg

Gav
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    huuuuge improvement!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Kzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kzo
    Indeed :poly115: , looks nicer and nicer every post!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cool, i think the more subtle look of the materials in marmoset helps it a lot. Those other shots to me just seem to have a weird... wetness? to them. I think you could push the materials a little more for marmoset specific purposes too, as now it seems like it could use a little more contrast. Tho you can always add that with the post effect editor.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Wow dude this guy looks super sexy in marmoset! I actually kinda like how the dense glow effect looks on the eye, but its a bit much on the hand since its a bigger effect. And I was wondering for your final renders do you plan on rendering it with a blue light placed next to all the glow spots on the model? If not you might want to think about painting in a little bit of blue lighting on the metal that surrounds the lights, mainly in the hip joint and hand, like how fletcher's paint over has it. Keep going, can't wait to see some poses soon.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesomesauce!

looks really nice in marmo, i cant get the hang of that engine, i tried it for my entry but i dunno, just looks weird, maybe its the way i have my spec maps :/

anyways, really cool!!!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Swheet.

I think some stronger colour contrast between the metal and fabric would help though.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    There's a single skull just above his left hip that REALLY bothers me, maybe i'm being too nit picky, but it's got a really round mouth, no teeth, and it doesn't "hinge" like a normal jaw.

Been buggin' me for a while, figured i'd post it, best of luck. Shouldn't be hard to fix, just paint out the lower jaw on the normal map, diffuse and spec.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hah, oh yeah, its like a ghost instead of a skull :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    awesomesauce!

looks really nice in marmo, i cant get the hang of that engine, i tried it for my entry but i dunno, just looks weird, maybe its the way i have my spec maps :/

anyways, really cool!!!

Yeah it takes a bit of getting used to. You have to sort of re-think the way you use your spec maps, as it isnt just controling standard spec from like a point light, but reflection intensity from a cubemap. So a lot of things you may be used to trying to fake in your spec maps, adding colors for environment reflection and things like that you dont really need to do. You'de be surprised what you can do with very simple materials.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, its a brilliant tool that i really want to get into the habit of using to showcase my stuff, once i get the hang of it. I was hoping for DW4 to be a good time for this, but i'll have to run a few tests later on. :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow beautiful updates, realy like the effects on the eye and left hand nice style to them.

-Woog
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    aesir: Cheers man, glad you like the way it's going. Marmoset is definitely going to be used for my final render, really happy with the way it's turning out :)

Mop: Thanks man, loving your character :)

Kzo: Thanks!

EQ: Thanks you handsome man, you. This is a great tool, must have been a fun time playing with this on a regular basis :)

nrek: Definitely going to use Marmoset for my final render..based the ease of use and practicality of it (I'm a bit of a purist :D ) I've retouched some of the glowy areas to fake lights (don't want to go too over board with it though) As for the poses, they're coming, thoug hit's probably going to be something PRETTY basic...this guy has limited functionality (I blame the comp's budget...) I'm planning on working on that and his base later on in the week. I originally had planned on doing something like Doom's box art (him standing on a heap of dead demons) but I think I'd quickly get disqualified for that. So, I'm most likely just going to do some kind of holy looking base (stone and iron) with bullet casings lying around..

Mongrelman: Thanks man, I'll look into pushing those further.

crazyfingers: Just for you, I changed it up :) It honestly wasn't bothering me, but I can see it being distracting as it caused a fairly large black circle on his hips. Thanks for the feedback.

Fletcher: Thanks man! Give marmoset another shot, it's easy to fart around in once you get the hang of it (I'm obviously still learning) but it's nice for just getting things in quickly.

woogity: Thanks man :)

alright, just another update spam. Still playing with Marmoset, touched up the hip plates based on crazyfingers feedback...dicking around with spec and some saturation in areas...change dup the hand glow to make it less dense.

I feel as though I'm getting to the "polish" stages. so, I may through him into ZB for a quick pose here soon (nothing too crazy...he's not really built for extreme poses :) ) and start on a base so I don't feel rushed in a weeks time.

cleric_wip_22.jpg

Gav
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this is really looking exceptional.

Just a personal preference... I would probably add to the copper/bronze color a little green patina to help break up the unified warm tone a bit.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    sick sick sick... great work, man!
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excelent design Gav

Impressive modeling, texturing and sculting work

Keep up.
  • iatriki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it turned out really nice!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Great progress... He is reading much better in your latest update. I have to agree though that some green tones in his metal would provide more interest and tie in to the green glows on his cannisters
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    wow MUCH better textures dude.
    I'm envious!
    B
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    Man that looks so much better, it really makes the character! I am totally in love with this guy now, awesome work!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    easily the best character you have in your portfolio, love it all.
    very impressive
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Niiiiiice! cant crit a thing really =)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    merecraft wrote: »
    Niiiiiice! cant crit a thing really =)

I'll bite. Looks incredible, all the more reason to spend extra time pumping it up.

Firstly, ditch the green glow. You seem to have this unreasonable affinity to green haha, i hope this doesn't get me linched by the poly count forum for saying this, replace it with orange.

Second, have you tried making his beard reddish in color, i think it could really work well! you should try it ;) No gaurentees but hey worth a shot.

Some quick photoshop work:
    3501876522_dbb81d2f3a_o.jpg
    Kept the green a bit after all. If you're curious i just did an overlay of light orange over the green. Sampled a dark red from the scarf and did a vivid light (50%ish opacity) layer over his beard.
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Hey I'll just throw in another layer over crazyfingers paintover

gavin_tex.jpg

just my 2 cents, keep going, gav
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Gav! Man this is looking sweet! Can we see more Views?
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    Nice. Not to shoot down our fellows paint overs, but I like the white beard.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Holy crap this is badass, he looks badass....soo badass.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    i agree with coldkodiak i prefer the white as it goes with the blue highlights, very nice work.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmmmm. I like! Great work Gav, I'm proud of you :D

* oh and I do agree with the adding of the greenish patina
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    that marmoset pic is great man...much easier on the eye. Only crit i could give would be to try an seperate some of the material types as a few of them seem to blend into one another...ie: his bullet straps looks like the bullets an leather are made from the same stuff. Awesome work dude :)
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is sweeet! The skulls look like they have lost a little depth though
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Zatoichi: Thanks man, I'll look into that :)

ghost, ocarian, iatriki, Parnell, Eclipse, butt_sahib, merecraft, zerafian, coldkodiak, Diwan, kendo, StJoris: Thanks guys! Glad you're digging it.

gavku: Thanks man, I played around with their spec values a bit, I think maybe it might have been too strong on the straps.

foreverendering: Thanks man, your entry is looking sick. I do agree with some of your points and you can see some of the revisions in the below update. Changed the glow to be more like the other glows, darkened his jumpsuit. I'm not sure why, but I'm just not too keen on the red bits...I'm going to look into adding more greens like mentioned above. Thanks again, really appreciate the feedback :)

crazyfingers: Thanks for your feedback man, I gotta say though, that red beard isn't doing it for me at all. I'm keeping the hair white :)

Josh: Thanks dude! Here's a second view, I'll try to get a few more up later on if I can. Wish there was a way to save views in Marmoset like there is in ZB with ZApplink..As you can see, the FX are really only made for that one view...it's all I can afford :(

Alright, small update following the feedback from above. Still going to try out adding some green wear and tear to the metals...

cleric_wip_23.jpg

Gav
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    its looking great man i like how its coming along, the metal is looking fantastic, keep it up i cant wait to see the end result