Home Contests & Challenges Archives

DWIV - 3D - Gavimage

Replies

• gaganjain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This look so nice :poly142:....loved skin color...:)
    Now endless night for rigging......
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    go go go man... looking fantastic!
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Looks great man, im really glad you finally decided to change the glow color on the grenades. Also its nice to see the back view for a change. Looks like you could use a little AO type shadow under the hood so it feels like its really sitting on the armor.

Would it be possible to get a new render of him with the hand smoke hidden but the eye ones still there? That polycount logo you have on the top of the hand looks too cool to cover up, and if you can't get the hand fx working from multiple angles then maybe ditching it wouldn't be a bad idea. Plus you could then toss those extra tris into the eye fx to make it work from all sides. And then the last thing, whats this...

http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wasistdasgav.jpg

... is it a rouge brush stroke in the dif or spec or something?
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is really great.......i cant get marmoset to work for me, this well yet.
    i need your results asap!.
  • engelik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow.. amazing textures..
    looking great!
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    that's lovely gav, shaping up really well. Watch the red and gold though!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Fantastic!

:D

Textures work great!
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great Gav,

No worries about my suggestions, I just throw stuff out there :D Just trust your instincts man and you will end up with something really cool
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    this guy is gonna pop out amongst a legion of greenies :P

great work on the metal bits! his gun came out much higher res than I imagined it would -- kudos on fitting all that in your maps!
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    You're rockin it sooo hard buddy. Major quadboners.

I'm sad to say i won't be finishing in time for the compo. But maybe down the road.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, I wish I could texture that well. The map renders seem to have come out great, and I really like your color choices. This one's going straight into my inspiration folder. Awesome work, man.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There seems to be a certain amount of noise on the metals(in the bump?) that detracts from the surface imo. You've got these real cool shapes in there, but the get broken up by the noise.
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    There seems to be a certain amount of noise on the metals(in the bump?) that detracts from the surface imo. You've got these real cool shapes in there, but the get broken up by the noise.

I agreed, but specifically about the skulls. I think the embossing on the skulls specifically is very odd looking. The dark areas surrounding them (where's it's not eye sockets or teeth) suggest depth that I wouldn't expect, while the noise on them is just a little... odd. Embossing suggests stamped metal, which usually isn't very noisy, but actually kinda smooth, with little dings and scratches here and there.

I think overall this is an amazing character, but those areas really put me off.
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    so umm, yah, totally badass!!
    to be honest, at first i thought that the highpoly was way too noizy and busy at first, and kinda ruining the whole character, but you managed to pull it off with the lowpoly and colors.

the only thing i would have liked to see is foreverendering's paintover proportions back on page 10 on your current model. but either way,superb work. :)
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic metal works u have there.
    me especially likes the gold part. how the..
    i demand flats!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff, Gav. I love it.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats totaly far out man!

its cool how you mixed in the skulls, normaly i think they mess up designs, but they are not stongly present and there are alot, wich makes it work really well!

the proportions are interresting and the use of color is great

besides that his scarf can use a bit more shape, i dont think i have any real crits,

• Abe_hokage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! the scarf is still bugging me though :)
    very very kewl! colors work much better together...love the old goldy colors
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    nice work! :)

aye the scarf is bugging me a tad, i think overall it could do with a shift of hue in the shadows, right now the colors seem a little solid in places (the scarf mainly)

a certain tint may do wonders in the darker shadowed areas, although you may not want to listen to this advice, as it could just be my addiction to blue shadows :)

like this perhaps:

clericgif.gif

just a little bit more subtle maybe ^ was just that level to make the change visible. :)
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work! Sooomething about the skulls make it look a bit like a printed pajama :) Very busy and distracting from the overall shapes. I'd consider nuking them in places to open things up!
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Jfletch...although the paintover is a bit much. A subtle cooling of the shadows will give some more depth to the renders:)
    gogogogo!
    B
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    just a little bit more subtle maybe ^ was just that level to make the change visible. :)

!!!
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    JFletcher wrote: »
    nice work! :)

aye the scarf is bugging me a tad, i think overall it could do with a shift of hue in the shadows, right now the colors seem a little solid in places (the scarf mainly)

a certain tint may do wonders in the darker shadowed areas, although you may not want to listen to this advice, as it could just be my addiction to blue shadows :)

like this perhaps:

clericgif.gif

You could actually do that in marmo's settings, so as to leave the texture alone to make sure it can work in different environments.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah just a quick post tweak can get that effect =)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Wow! Lots of comments, thanks everyone.

kite212, gaganjain, Ironhawk, engelik, jox, r4ptur3, jeremy-S, Mop, Abe: Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments. glad you're digging him.

55joe: Thanks :) Just let me know if I can help man!

kite: Thanks man, really sorry you can't finish on time..but I know how it is, for sure :) Seeing your work pushed me, and I'm sure many others, a bit further. You thinking I migh tbe swaying a little too far from "Polycount" with the colours?

nrek: Thanks dude, even though it's not poste din this update...take my word for it that I've added some shading to underneith the hood / over the armor plate son the back. I'll also see what I can do about setting up a render with no hand glowy bits. The main reason why I would like to keep them, though, is that that hand would be his magical item..and I think the glowy fog ind of draws attention to it. Though, it is obviously flawed by only working in a few camera angles..

foreverrendering: Cheers dude :D Your entry is looking REALLY sweet.

DDDDDUUUUURRRR: Sorry to hear that, man...but you know I still have a giant man crush on you.

EQ: Thanks man, I've toned down some of the noise (think I might have gone too far with sharpen in Marmo + my maps before) and thanks for the ehad sup on what the tool can do...this has been a real life saver for me hehe

coldkodiak: Thanks, I've toned down some of the noise, hoping that this reads a bit better.

warriah: Thanks man, glad you're liking it. I still might try the proportion changes..I did modify the grenades and shoulder pad just a touch...but I might go further still in some areas...we shall see! :D

bionpittan: Thanks! I'll post flats soon, promise!

Rens: Thanks dude! Totally agree with you on the scarf, if I end up scrapping any of the FX, the tris are going right into there :)

Fletcher: Man, am I ever glad you're watching my thread :) Check out my latest update, I tried to go more in the direction as you have suggested...it's all post in Marmo though, didn't touch any of my textures just yet. I'll post a shot of his back later and you'll see that in the texture I've darkened up his collar shadows some more...but for the most part it's just post for now. Thanks again for all your feedback man, your entry is sure to be a winner :)

rasmus: Hehehe, I don't think I'll be making that serious of a change at this stage..but thanks for the feedback :D

Parnell: <3

Phew...Alright. After finding out about the extension, I took a few nights catch on some sleep (first night with +5 hours sleep in 3 weeks!) A few tweaks here and there, added some dirt to some areas, added more obvious green weathering to the metals, played with different lighting (focusing some attention to the above feedback) and also trying out a pose. The pose isn't really too much, I did it in transpose...I'm happy with the way it is, but I'm kind of bummed that I'm realizing I can't do much more with him in that regard (because of things that are baked down, design choices that are biting me just now, etc.)

I may also have to find a way to get a bigger shot out of Marmo...any hints EQ? :D I'm guessing just having it open at a higher screen res might do the trick...

Edit> I still need to make a base, though I don't think I'll be going to crazy with it...most likely just a fancy stone pedestal of sorts. Any thoughts on if bullet casings would be allowed on the base? Technically, they could be picked up...but they're not more useful than a rock..

Mostly just playing with different settings in Marmo...still not settled on anything :)

cleric_wip_24.jpg

Cheers,
    Gav
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    AWESOME gavin. I have to admit when I saw the final sculpt, I was wondering if you would be able to pull off readability with all that high frequency detail. You did! I love the look of the bronze, very stylish.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit's dope son! shit's dope! :)
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    really nice gav, it would be cool to see some more separation between his gun holster and his crotch area though. I'm talking about the leather material you have going on for both.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Great work Gavin, you're basically done with plenty of time to spare :D

I think bullet casings would be okay, I'm not sure if you remember but in Dominance War 2 Marcus Dublin had a character with shells all over his pedestal and it was accepted. I don't see how it could be a problem
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Man, this is too awesome. Such a huge improvement from the paint overs!
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Man, you got some brilliant work here.:) I loveee how you handled your textures.

I wouldn't think the shells would be much of a problem, as its a great idea!
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    Gav I just love how this turned out, and am glad you went with the red color scheme - the contrast of it with the blacks and gold is just brilliant :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    tight textures!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    great work dude! i like it :D

Now is time to give him a cool pose and a base.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremy price polycounter lvl 18
    looks really good.. what were you thinking of for the base?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    this is just insanely awesome!!! This is a instant win in my opinion.
  • onelung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelung polycounter lvl 18
    shit man, textures turned out real nice. bronze metal and glowy wisp look great! got some pose ideas?
  • muppet man
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    muppet man polycounter lvl 10
    Damn, dude! This is looking amazing! It's such a well - thought out character. I'm loving the materials, the style, the way you've balanced the details.....EASILY in the top 10. Looks like the hard part is over and now it's all about presentation. Great work!
  • Sephiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sephiel polycounter lvl 10
    Oh shit ! Skulls everywere ! I Liiiike it !!! One of my favorite entries !!! I'm REALLY really really fan !
  • RITORIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW! great piece! good job ;)
  • HntrLuc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    great work gav!
    came out really nice :)
    i think its a nice style improvement from youre previous stuff too
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thanks everyone!

Alright, I'm calling this one done. There's a few areas I know could use improvement, like the pose, but I really need to get cracking on other projects that have been put on the back burner...plus, I'm starting to see this guy in my cereal.

Unless something is OBVIOUSLY wrong and would break a rule or something, I'm going to submit some time tomorrow. After a few weeks away from him, I may do some different renders just for fun as I'm really happy with how he turned out and would have liked to show different angles and stuff.

GavinGoulden_Bishop_Beauty.jpg
    GavinGoulden_Bishop_Present.jpg
    GavinGoulden_Bishop_Texture.jpg
    GavinGoulden_Bishop_Constru.jpg
    GavinGoulden_Bishop_Concept.jpg
    GavinGoulden_Bishop_Text.jpg

Again, thanks to everyone who posted, gave me feedback and pushed me to create this. I have no expectations of placing but I really feel that I met my goal of pushing my boundaries and creating something outside of my safe zone.

Cheers,
    Gav
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Nice finish Gav! Everything turned out great on this guy. It still surprises me just how much detail you managed to pack into the textures, and the presentation pages look great. Job well done :thumbup:.
  • Rory_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    he's awesome Gav. great stuff! :)
  • clee101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clee101 polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work! Everything is so nice and clean. Lots of nice details, shapes and interesting design. I would only like to see him posed a bit more dynamic.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ZOMG! I FREAKIN LOVE cereal!

And your model turned out frickkin fanastic!

GOOD JOB! good sir!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turned out awesome Gav, congrats:thumbup:
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    on of my favorites, turned out really awesome, awesome work :)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome texturing there. Would also like to see him in a more dynamic pose, or something that indicates more how heavy he actually is, like legs more bent and spread perhaps.