Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard!

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    [ QUOTE ]
    The print is a lot bigger than I thought it would be!

[/ QUOTE ]haha yes, i got the check last week and was wondering where the print is. Today I came from lunch back and saw that gigantic package, never thought that could be the print laugh.gif
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    thats just GAY

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying this seriously? I hope not.

A runner-up thread would have been excellent, it's true. At the least we could have one here on polycount! I've heard many people ask for this and I'm confused why nothing's happened.

Good to know the stuff is getting mailed.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a day off tomorrow. I could probably spend half an hour or so collating all the final images into a more convenient thread if that'd be the best course of action.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought that maybe one of the moderators could make a sticky thread and we could post our finished submissions, sans comments, in the same way as a PC contest thread?

What do you think?

edit: I dunno, maybe this bus has already left the station. I think a lot of the submitters might have moved on since it's been so long since the contest.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm. Alright I'll tell you what. I'll go ahead and put together a thread and if the admin crew want to do something fancier then at least they'll have a convenient starting point.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blizzard posted an honorable mentions page! saw some polycount entries up there, congrats to you guys.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, Arshlevon, they must not have gotten your submission, cause you're not even in the honorable mention page, and your entry is easily as good if not better than most of them. Sucks!

poop.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    haha, well i got a conformation email, maybe it just sucked. thats okay i have quit 3d because of the contest. i am taking up something i feel that i am much better at, cross stitch. i have had fun posting on the forums and all your comments were nice but i feel like you all were just trying to make me feel good about about myself. i now know the truth and that i don't have a chance in this industry. i have found a new home over at http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/ if you want to see any of my future art please look there. here is something i have been working on.

csarsh.jpg

farewell to you all.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Ummm...
    You're kidding, right?
    If not, nice cross stitching...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    f00 , cross stitching sucks , sand art is better !
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    I'm glad you're taking it so well, Arsh. Maybe you can embroider some nice Diablo pillows for the next contest. grin.gif
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, the flower petals could use some normal map lovin to them. Also the contrast on the gloves in the bushes is a bit unsettling and makes the left wrist proportions look manly (or maybe it's not that high poly, could we see wires?).

That aside, congrats to those who won, as well that did not get a prize out of it. At least you guys still left us who are not as talented as you with something to drool over and aspire us towards improvement! Yeah...I guess I'd take the prizes too..
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought i was the only one! heres mine
    Julys_Amethyst_Fairy.jpg
    my handel at http://www.cross-stitch-board.com/ is stichezz55
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHAHA ARSH! Don't worry about it dude, your work is great... Shits all over my stuff. No need to get yourself down because some shit bitch Blizzard judges creamed their panties over your Diablo then were too ashammed to admit that they did. It was probably their first orgasm or something... fucken Blizzard geeks!
    In loving support, I'm making a shirt: "Arsh for teh win!".

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Strange that there are no 3D honourable mentions for Starcraft.
  • djolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep looks like they totally snubbed 3d entries. I cant believe arsh's didnt get an honorable mention.

But it looks like they snubbed 3d in general looking at the ~10/1 ratio of 2d vs. 3d honorable mentions.

And the Starcraft sectio is especially light. I know my entries werent textured but I though my Goliath model was pretty inspired. Oh well. It may be sour grapes but I am happy to agree to disagree. I just dont see a good portion of their decisions coming from the same guys that created the art style of the games I've loved.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Arsh, if you didn't send in .psd's, you would have done well to have lowered the opacity on your suck layer before you burned it in. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. Those bigshots at blizzard are always going jump down your throat for little mistakes like that. I dig your stitch, by the way.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    No Arsh or Pior 3d? A lot of those honorable mentions were terrible, especially conpared to their work.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    This Art Contest sucked hard imho.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    cross stitching is like pixel art. Cool!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Pior's stuff is pretty good. His anatomy could have used some work. But that's just me saying, that... no idea what the criterias were for the winners.
    The execution was good... just the technical aspects were a little off.
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Blasphemy! no pior's knight and arsh's amazing diablo?! What a buncha haters, though i do have to say, there is some amazing 2d work on the honerable mentions. The summoner on the cinematics page... splooge. i bet the judging was very difficult.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    What are you talking about? Pior's knight is in it. But yeah, that's a shame for arsh's diablo! >:(
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    pior's concept is in .. not his model ...
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Damn some of that work is sick! It's really great to see more of the contest entries!

arshlevon,

There's no excuse for your entry not being in there... Other than that they did not receive it (?!) At any rate, the sheer emotion that comes across in your cross stitching is amazing - cutting edge concept too wink.gif
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Mine didnt make the honorable list either. But as far as I'm concerned...the feedback I got here made it worth the effort.
  • djolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that Summoner/Necro on the cinematics honorable mention page totally should have won!

Pior's 3d model wasnt within the poly limit. Blizzard doesnt model the armor separately except for the helmet and shoulders. So in a sense they probably looked at his entry as being near 7000 polys. If he would have chopped off the legs that would be covered by the armor, it probably would have been a different story since it would most likely have met the poly budget requirements.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wow, that Summoner/Necro on the cinematics honorable mention page totally should have won!

Pior's 3d model wasnt within the poly limit. Blizzard doesnt model the armor separately except for the helmet and shoulders. So in a sense they probably looked at his entry as being near 7000 polys. If he would have chopped off the legs that would be covered by the armor, it probably would have been a different story since it would most likely have met the poly budget requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way, Zipp's Orc battle scene was very deserving of first place for cinematics. Besides, I'm not too keen about the parallel feet on that necromancer. It takes away a lot from the piece.

It's nice to see I at least got an honorable mention.

Most likely Blizzard just liked Pior's Concept more than his model. Or the model may have been disqualified because he technically submitted the same entry into 2 different categories.

Arsh watch out about needlepoint though. Tennis Elbow is the carple tunnel of the needlepoint scene.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rules did specifically say that you could enter both the concept and model if you wanted. If anything perhaps they just didn't want to have the same artwork appearing twice on the honourable mentions page.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    wtf? billzard took my first, shitty ironforge entry, I hate them!
    I wrote they should replace it with the newer one! fu!

e: there are many good warcraft env entries. The winner ist just strange!
    btw: http://www.blizzard.de/inblizz/contests/artcontest2006/images/w56.jpg
    1024 tris? Must be a joke..
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha guys no need to get all worked up on this :P Soul is right, mine was a rush job, some wonky things in there, and my pose was crap!

Also both Arsh and myself submitted something with a polygon count close to FPS titles - which Diablo is not. There was no strict polygon limit given, the 5000 number was just a guideline but in practice Diablo medels are not even models, they are just sprites right? Maybe they expected something closer to an RTS budget - and in whatever case, i think we both should have included a 'Diablo-like-view' of the character. But hey tight deadline huh?

Anyways! It's just a comp, judge's taste varies! I'm glad I sent my concept as a 2D piece, too bad I didn't polish it more but hell, it was supposed to be a mere concept, no need for fancy smoothness on these smile.gif I'm very glad to be there still.

All the 3D entrants now have a strong piece to display on their folio, that's quite something also.

And btw... Im sure many entrants whose work is not shown in the runner up gallery are not angry at all. The point is, the internet exposure that this competition had on various forums certainly induced some connections, job offers aso. Oh yes it did wink.gif
  • guillom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guillom polycounter lvl 18
    i'm just a bit disapointed to not be in the honorable gallery frown.gif

But i'm glad i finished it...good for my demo reel ! coming soon
  • 55joe
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Boo no Wood-Bear! I really loved that one. frown.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I just got an email from the senior recruiter at Blizzard saying that he really loved my entry and thought it was one of the better of the contest, and would like to see my future projects, and be kept up to date as I go through school...

So that's pretty damn cool.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just got an email from the senior recruiter at Blizzard saying that he really loved my entry and thought it was one of the better of the contest, and would like to see my future projects, and be kept up to date as I go through school...

So that's pretty damn cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome man! congrats on that, hope it pans out into something profitable :]
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NG that's awesome! congratulations on that. smile.gif