Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard!

Replies

• WhazUP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? So I could have taken work I had done for ILM 3 years ago and submitted it to the Blizzard competition? That doesn't seem a little unfair to the other contestants?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Hey whats up, you have a good question, so I'll try to answer it the best I can.

When I first heard about the contest, I checked the rules to see if I could enter. I didn't see anything relating to my question, so I posted to my thread on CGTalk asking people if they thought I should enter. Everyone said something along the lines of "Yeah, I think you should definitely enter!" I didn't get one reply or email to the contrary. This was probably over the course of a week, so anyone that wanted to contact me had an opportunity to.

So then I thought, "Hey, nobody seems to have a problem with it, and I see a few other threads of people doing the same thing, so why not?" At that point, I emailed Blizzard to check with them if it was okay, since their rules seemed a bit vague.

They never answered my email. I felt I'd been about as straightforward as possible - I'd asked for opinions a week in advance, checked the rules, emailed the company.

At any rate, Blizzard knows I started it way before the contest, not that it was a secret anyway - My WIP thread is there for everyone to see. If that makes it ineligible, I really don't mind.

I figure someone could just as easily have a project they've worked on for awhile, never posted about online, and entered it with no one the wiser. At least in my case, I'm not lying about it.

I mainly saw the contest as an opportunity to try to get my work seen, so if my piece got listed with some others in a runner-up category, that would be pretty awesome.

If anyone is upset about me entering, then I apologize. I wish that person or persons had contacted me when I was asking for opinions on my thought to enter. Then I wouldn't have spent the time that last week setting up a render!

Let me know if that answers your question, or if there's anything else specifically you'd like to ask, please feel free.

Thanks

PS. Last thing! Just in case anyone's curious

I'm not living in my Mom's basement without a job, hammering away on this every day smile.gif This is something I've been messing with on my spare time; I work overtime at my job every week. I don't want anyone thinking this represent 365 days of work! Not even close
  • WhazUP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foreverendering, I appreciate your response. I didn't actaully enter the contest, but I just worry about the other contestants.

I'm really impressed though by your honesty and how throughly you checked.

To be honest the only way I even found your cgtalk posts was researching you because I was so impressed by your work. It is a truely impressive entry regardless of how long it took you to do it, that's why I feel especially bad for those who are competeing against you smile.gif
    Well either way, best of luck to you, and if it is eligible, it definately deserves to win, even over ZippZopps in my opinion. The ammount of history and character you jammed into him is absolutely amazing.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap. Much ass-kickery here.
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have nothing against either of these guys, they are both amazing and did a better job than me. however, zippzopp also started before the contest. after i read the rules i almost took a model i had been working on before the contest and used it for the contest to, but decided against it because it was a stretch:) dont hate the player hate the game haha
  • WhazUP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, wonder if it's a coincedence that two of the best entries had head starts... smile.gif But seriously after thinking about it I doubt Blizzard would mind, I'm sure the main thing they care about is getting art to promote themselves, not rules... Blizzard is a wickedly smart company after all. Who else can make a bigger fortune off of glorified paperdolls? *cough*WOW*cough* tongue.gif

And if either of them win, that's great, they deserve a reward for such great work reguardless of whether they had a head start over the competition or not.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    I don't think there should be any issue with having started a model prior to the contest being announced, it is really just dumb luck. at this point i have a library of models on my hard drive that I usually pull from to do work. for example, if i want to model/sculpt a human head, i'm honestly not going to start the base mesh from scratch when I already have several base meshes sitting on my hard drive. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. this is the nature of CG.
  • damkoden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damkoden polycounter lvl 17
    Hey guys, I can see what ZippZopp means, I made the mistake of thinking that "original artwork" refered to original to this project, but when I reread the rules I can see how it could mean just all my own work is all smile.gif doh, oh well, live and learn...
  • WhazUP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So then, what you are saying is if I just happened to have trotted 3/4 the way around a track when a race started I should still be eligable to win? confused.gif
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    So then, what you are saying is if I just happened to have trotted 3/4 the way around a track when a race started I should still be eligable to win? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awfully antagonistic attitude to have. There was nothing in the contest's fine print that mentioned prior work being ineligible, and it looks like the finished piece was pretty Blizzardy from the start. It's a beautiful piece and entering it in this contest gave it an opportunity to be seen by more people - why's it worth having such a chip on your shoulder?
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, thanks to those who replied to my work, it's always appreciated and constructive criticism is great. I agree, it's too busy and maybe there's a way to streamline it further.

As to the contest...

Try looking at it in another way: 2 artists could both start working on the same day, but one of them has way more free time than the other and as such is able to put in 5x the amount of hours in 2 months.

Would you argue whether it was fair that the two artworks be judged against eachother? When one guy was working 10 hours a week, and the other 50 hours a week? Obviously there's an advantage.

There are so many factors. If we wanted complete fairness, everyone would be running the same hardware. Some people probably have a piece of junk computer, while others have a badass workstation. And then there's experience, some are entering the competition as amateurs, some as professionals...

I think you see where I'm going with this. I understand what you're saying, I guess it just comes down to their criteria.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definately agree with you there foreverendering. there are so many factors that go into this. honestly, if they really wanted to keep it fair, why not invite everyone to blizzard and hold the competition there so they can oversee everyone to make sure it is completely fair.

don't get me wrong whazup, i see your point of view completely and we could go back and forth debating the little details as to what is fair and what isn't. unfortunately no rules were put in place about this sort of thing and foreverendering even tried to find out with no luck.
  • WhazUP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAHA, you guys all rock. That honestly had to be the best and most grown up debate I've ever seen.

I'm sorry if I offened anyone, I just like to root for the little guy. Good luck to you all.
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    I'm more concerned about peeps like myself, who spent only a few hours and thoroughly diluted the contest with cheapness and hackery. :P
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    has anyone heard any news about the entries yet ?? any underground sources leaking info ?!?!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They've got until the end of next month. They're probably still filtering out all the Poser models with stretched ears at this stage.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    They've got until the end of next month. They're probably still filtering out all the Poser models with stretched ears at this stage.

[/ QUOTE ]
    LOL!

-caseyjones
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    has anyone heard any news about the entries yet ?? any underground sources leaking info ?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah actually i have a friend at blizzard and he send me the winning entries already

WOW grand prize:

gax11.jpg

diablo grand prize:

ga7b.JPG

star craft grand prize:
    ga9f.jpg

cinematics grand prize:
    diablo's alternate ending
    abom_sc_1.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to the winnarZ!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im disapointed there are no 2d winners!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    dude Arsh, where did you get those!! That is pure comedy.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahahaha...sweeeeeet pictures
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    YES! I won! I knew my WoW entry was an ace!

wait...why haven't I been contacted yet? ...you...you're lying aren't you arsh?! frown.gif
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    dude Arsh, where did you get those!! That is pure comedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

the GALLERIE ABOMINATE!!!

http://www.jackals-forge.com/abom.html
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome post, arshlevon ftw!

I love the Gallerie Abominate, now that is some good reading grin.gif
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    ARSH FOR TEH WIN!

-caseyjones
  • popawheelie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    popawheelie polycounter lvl 12
    LOL Arsh, sprayed water from my nose..

pop
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    arsh, you entered 4 times?!?!
  • guillom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guillom polycounter lvl 18
    just wanted to share my submission too

hope you like it !

centaurearcher01gk7.jpg

centaurearcher03lt9.jpg

more of it here :

cgtalk thread
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    guillom: very cool character, nice detail on it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Someone needs to copy and paste all the entrys here into one thread post so they can be seen with out any posts in between.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    that's crazy....I went to school with the guy who did these two.
    ga6a.JPG
    ga6b.JPG

..His name was Joe Mancuso I think he was doing the Ostritch in our alias 2 class...hehe..that probly gives away my age..how many tpeople remember working with Alias/wavefront
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice centaur! I think it looks great
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    thought i might toss up my submission, i makes me giggle, might do the same for you.
    GavinRaptor1.jpg
    GavinRaptor.jpg

its a tractor for goblins, runs on pure raptor power. i knocked it out the majority of it the weekend it was due.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shincartoon polycounter lvl 17
    That Raptor Tractor is just brilliant!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    so... did anyone of you also get a call this morning? laugh.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did, from your mom. Snarf!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and i thought you stopped dating her wink.gif

congratz
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    :*(

didn't believed I would get one though...
    congrats Neox =)

@Ghoust_rider: did you get a win mail? or are you just joking laugh.gif congrats!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you won SEKNeox?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i'm in the second row, can't wait to see the 4 winners smile.gif
    can't believe that katze didn't get a call i thought it was pretty much the best wow environment piece i saw
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    second row? what? where?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he didn't won the grand prize, but "only" the 1400$ version ..
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So I guess some sort of congratulations is in order, SEKNeox.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    That is awesome news SEKNeox! And seriously...if you got second row...I can't wait to see what first tier is. You certainly set the bar high.

(In other news: Crossing fingers that the SC entries were the first group to be judged)
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *crossing even more fingers*

my only problem is, that over at cgtalk someone won the diablo env prize :/
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Where are the winning entrys going to be shown?
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a fed ex this morning.
    I dont think the winning entries will be shown untill oct 31st.