Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard!

Replies

• foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Zipp to the Zopp,

I dunno man. I had the same experience as you. I got a confirmation, never saw a Success page and I also worry about whether the actual image went through correctly, because of all the traffic.

I think I'm going to resubmit (or at least try to). Maybe it would be better to just email it in. If they end up with 2 submissions of someones work, I think they can be understanding of the situation.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    What are the chances that the image did not go through correctly? They say you can email your entry...but they end the announcement by pointing the reader back to their rules. Do you really think they'd toss double entries given the circumstances?
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    I did email my submission last night and got an email back saying...

This email is being sent to confirm that we have received your submission sent to [email="contestquestions@blizzard.com."]contestquestions@blizzard.com.[/email] Your submission will be added to the judging pool and will not be in any way negatively effected.

however, my dilemma now is that in my haste to get something submitted, i neglected to put my info in the email i sent with my submission! arrrrg....
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, plus an extended deadline means extra time for me to continue tweaking and noodling the thing which means a i need to resubmit..haha
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly ZippZopp...I think you're going to get First for cinematic, even with the entry you posted here. And I'm not trying to be a boot licker or anything, this is what I really think.

But what the hell, tweak away. I'm sure there are millions of minute details left to be added to it. And those are the details that make a piece really pop.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    just so you guys know i just got this email, might as well submit again if you have any doubts.

Due to a drastic increase in contest submissions during the last weekend, the contest submission form was temporarily unavailable, preventing some artists from submitting their work for this year’s Blizzard Art Contest. In order to give all artists who put in a great effort and worked until the very last minute a fair chance, we are extending the submission deadline to 11:59PM PDT on Wednesday, September 20, 2006.

If you experienced problems submitting your work and never received a confirmation email, please go back to the submission form and try again. If you continue to encounter problems using the submission form, you can also send your work to [email="contestquestions@blizzard.com."]contestquestions@blizzard.com.[/email] If you do, you must include the following in your email: first and last name, address, city, state/province, zip/postal code, country, email (if other than the one you are contacting us with), phone, school (if you are a student), artwork category, name of your submitted artwork, and of course, the attached artwork itself. If you choose to send your entry to this email address, please only send one piece of artwork per email, and please review the contest rules before sending.

Thanks to everyone for participating. We apologize for the inconvenience these technical issues may have caused, and we hope that this extension of the deadline will allow all of you to contribute to the already amazing number of high-quality submissions we have received.

-Blizzard Entertainment
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, thanks for the kind words neo...i guess that is just the artist in me, nothing to me is ever finished, there are always things to make better.

arshlevon, i got that same email as well, i will tweak for another night and then send it in

cheers
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Hellz yeah thank you crappy blizzard servers. Off to a rough start on skinning. Trying to figure out what im gonna do with the hair. Also. Eye color?

arthas2.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    haha, thanks for the kind words neo...i guess that is just the artist in me, nothing to me is ever finished, there are always things to make better.

arshlevon, i got that same email as well, i will tweak for another night and then send it in

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, well you know what they say...An artist never finishes their work but merely abandons it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Great work everyone! Too many incredible entries!

D'oh, I wasn't able to make the deadline due to some major events the past couple of months, and some good ol procrastination, I'll be posting mine in another topic soon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm. I wonder if we can resubmit. I'd really like to get that frigging transform tool off the middle of my main screenshot.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ooooh relief, got confirmation emails during the day!

(a day I spent on nothing but hitting the submit buttons on both IE and FF, maaaany times. Couldn't do anything else anyway, was too tired after the allnighter).

I am glad to hear about the extra two days. I see many rooms for improvement on my two pictures but I don't think I will resubmit. I'll better just spend that time sleeping and having fun with the character, doing new renders aso.

Congrats everybody!
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I posted my entry at cgtalk and a couple of people thought it was a concept and not a model. As such, I will probably resubmit with the wireframes and texture. If contestants are being given another three days to enter, I guess it is safe to assume Blizzard would allow those who have submitted, the same opportunity. If so, this is my final submission via email:

BearenstainBeast.jpg
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    Miles, I really like the concept and that you chose to go the semi-celshaded route. I know you said that is your final submission, but if you consider making some revisions, I would suggest adding some self shadows or higher contrast shading in the texture. The biggest thing when I look at the character is that the form is very hard to follow. If you darkened around the jounts where the legs meet the torso, I think that the eye would be able to distinguish the shape more easily. It would be cool if you wanted to do that, and I do think your submission would benefit from it a lot.

Since Blizzard has extended the submission date, I'm going to try to use these next few nights to develop my submissions a bit more... I did a bit of work on the ogre tonight:

Giantogre2.jpg

not sure if I will do anything with the Starcraft submission.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone submit with success? are the servers functional?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Miles that kicks ass!

- BoBo
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah awesome bear, that is a real breath of fresh air.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ya mile, Very interesting idea!, Cool texture work too, Nice nice!!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Miles, I had initially thought it was a concept as well... but then I scrolled over and saw the turn arounds. Seeing the texture and wireframe is nice, though. Glad you updated it.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    there are so many badass! pieces here. Congrats to everyone who submitted laugh.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Good Job Miles. I love it.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I think you will win the wow cathegory miles laugh.gif excelent!

made some final fixes. Comments? If not I will make my final render + entry collage smile.gif

prob_last_update.jpg
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katzeimsack: smile.gif lots of tough competition (ghost_rider's "Taurk" most assuredly!)...I'm just having fun with it all. But thank you guys for the positive feedback.

As for your render, Kaz...looking incredible! I love the addition of the dwarves! (How about some footprints...and maybe some powdery snow on the bottoms of their capes? Also..in the top center...there is an artifact/line of some kind...cyan in color on a gray triangular background) Your entry has a really nice mood to it!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katz, I thought that thing was awesome before, it looks even better now! Looks like you need to shave off 77 polys though, I'm sure there are some corners you can cut somewhere.
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Lightning and thunder doesn't happen to much if even at all in the winter on mountains. It's still great katzeims.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    nice changes katz. maybe try giving a little loving to the foremost rock in the bottom left corner? it's looking VERY pixel-y
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    katz, that looks great!=0
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks a mix of warcraft with harrogath ! mesa likes it ! add a tad more dead vegetation and perhaps some dead crows, etc dunno , looking promising wink.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    noooo, no dead crows!!!

have a bunch of ravens flying about in the sky in the center, above the entrance =]
  • EricElwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EricElwell insane polycounter
    katz, lookin real nice, only a few things that stuck out to me.... The first was the texture on the snow, it feels correct on the right side as it climbs the mountain it looks like it has drifts horizontally up the plain, however in other areas, specifically the bottom/center it runs vertically, and on the flatter plains it should be smoother.

The lightning is a bit extreme...

I also see some clipping on the fog plains, though I am not sure how that will render out...

I like the hobbits, I thought they were cacti at first heh... I might suggest smoothing out the texture on the capes..

AS far as the work it's self, I think it's stelar, the one thing in the design that seems sketchy is the orange tiddly bits on the structure, if they were defined as radiating itnerior lights, or maybe orange banners, that would bring some coherency there. That's the one thing within the design that pops out as kinda weak to me, otherwise, I love it!
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reworked for new deadline ...
    bokmd5.jpg
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks loads better! I think you need to sharpen up the background though. It's sorta a let down comapred to that awesome model. I mean it's a desert planet it should look nice and grainy and gritty.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks better than the previous version for sure. looks sharper and tighter. have you submitted it? did you use the form or email? i was just trying the form on the website and it seems to be a bit funky, i appears that it uploads but i don't get a success page, it just reloads the submission page....very odd
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks neogod, ive been awake forever and cant see straight so ill have to call it done smile.gif
    zipzopp i was getting a reload thing until about 11 52 and it made it in, but i submitted an email at 1145 just to be sure. hope that helps sorry its late !
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx for all the comments smile.gif

I will deffinatly add some things smile.gif

@ neo: the enviroment itself only has about 4900 the other triangels are effects, like fogplanes so on...
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For those of you who submitted your entry a second time after reworking it, did you use the same filename as your first attempt? I'm just curious as to what would ensure they accept the most recent entry over the original, aside from asking in the email. I wonder if they'd toss out the most recent if they saw it had the same filename as one submitted earlier...or would they simply overwrite the old one. :/
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used my old filename and added an (updated)
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so the texture is now done. and I am MUCH happier with in now. Because the other texture I had was far too rushed.

Here's a small preview of Mr. Forsaken:
    Necromancerpreview.jpg

Now I texture the effects with the 8 tris I have left, and then spend the rest of the time on the presentation of him.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neo_god:

looking cool, i like the texture on the armor pieces, looks very believable, nice work on it
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    really cool neo. i like the little potions.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "looking cool, i like the texture on the armor pieces, looks very believable, nice work on it" -ZippZopp

I second that...
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Once this comp is over i need to see neo god's and struve's models fighting arsh's diablo in noritsune's Tristram Cathedral.
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Once this comp is over i need to see neo god's and struve's models fighting arsh's diablo in noritsune's Tristram Cathedral.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh shi!1 let's do it crazy.gif
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christ! I would totally be up for that!!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18

>Once this comp is over i need to see neo god's and >struve's models fighting arsh's diablo in noritsune's >Tristram Cathedral.

guys, that will be candy for eyes=)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if you do it, can you make it wallpaper sized? including widescreen resolutions?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you do it, can you make it wallpaper sized? including widescreen resolutions?

[/ QUOTE ]

* drool..

That would be very cool!
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Neo_God: awesome model and texture
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    hell yeah Neo_God, great work!
  • Clint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clint polycounter lvl 18
    Could anyone PLZ post an alpha mapping tut for 3dsmax and photoshop. im almost done w/my model cept been searchin for how to do alphas for hours and i cant find anyting. pls