Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ally Albon

Replies

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    From today's Twitch stream. Tomorrow, I will actually make presentation images for the previous 3 projects! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator

Based on a concept by David Kegg, I really loved the chunky design and wanted to make it 3d.

1k polys
    1x 1024 diffuse, normal, specular maps

Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 1

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    From today's Twitch stream

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Yesterday's Twitch update 
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    So I have an older model of a house from Ponyville from a couple of years ago - It was finished, but I didn't have the experience to make it look the way I wanted so I never really did anything with it. Have decided to resurrect it and make it pretty again! Now just deciding whether I should remodel parts of it or just tidy up the current one...

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Finished this a few days ago for the Polycount June challenge.  It was so much fun I am going make another from Stalenhag's concepts 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator

Finally finished! Based on a very nice concept by Sebastien LD (I believe).  I felt it needed a little more activity, so I added a few extra elements, my favourite being the crows (4,500 polys 1x2048, 1x1024(soil and smaller details) Diffuse only Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag)

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    ...this counts as portfolio work, right? 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Had time today to do a bit more on the Mudkip project 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Working from another of Simon Stalenhag's amazing concepts, another prop that is going to be really gooey and nasty! Hard Surface modelling is still a bit of a challenge when I want every bit to be smooth and perfect, but this is the HP for the hard surface with floaters (hehehehe) and most of the information will be baked down into the LP so perfection not needed. On to the organic stuff!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Continuing with the Simon Stalenhag concept, starting to look nice and creepy!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    High poly pretty much done, time to polypaint

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Burn it!  Burn it with fire! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator

I've wrapped up two projects and had a different one planned next, but Sketchfab just announced a Warcraft based competition and it sounds like a lot of fun, so I am in.  Legion based, this is the sketch I have come up with.

There’s going to be a lot of green. 

I am sure there will be many changes as I go, but we only have 22 days to submit so time to get going! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Final for the Ponyville house (more pics at http://www.allyalbon.com/ponyville-1 ) Something slightly sweeter than the recent nightmareish things I have been working on!  

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    The roughest rough out that ever roughed. Scale seems a bit off atm, should resolve with texture. Still deciding if I am going to make this more of a sculpture, or more like ingame assets.  

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Have had a bit of an art block which has been terribly inconvenient seeing as there is a pretty tight deadline for the WoW competition on Sketchfab... still, got these rocks finished tonight.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Testing the statue for the Wow Competition on Sketchfab 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Mountains for the Wow Comp on Sketchfab. Zoned out while listening to music and added a few more details than I meant to, bit I still like it. May do a second pass if I have time. The ground and underside will utilize tiling textures, will get to them soon. 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Spent yesterday doing a lot of asset blocking so not much to show, but I liked this screenshot with the little dude for scale. Working on the trees today

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Ok, finally catching up to schedule! Much happier with progress over the weekend. I think the tree branches should be reworked but I doubt I will have time... I did however get time to build all of the assets other than the Feldragon, and am now texturing them. Feldragon got a very, very quick pass this afternoon. Tonight and tomorrow - more work on the dragon and tiling textures for the ground. Tick tock, tick tock!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Updates from yesterday for the Wow Sketchfab competition. Starting to come together. I was a bit worried about adding the Fel green elements, but it seems to be working so far!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Because I am not busy enough on this project, decided to take the time and tpose the dragon, rather than just sculpt him quickly in position... Also added skeletons (kodo!) and going to make an Alliance human skull, and possibly a deer or Tauren skull, depending on how often Zbrush decides to crash on me tonight...

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I have had one of *those* kinds of days and ended up getting very little done on my project. However the dragon is now posed and a few more textures are underway. Day and a half left...  
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    A Vodka + Saturday night = Mudkip time! 

• z0mbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0mbie vertex
    Your progression is inspiring, although unfortunately some older photos aren't viewable.  Are you still using Zbrush/Maya?  Also, is this still a hobby or also a profession?  Sorry if the question is too forward!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hi @z0mbie - Thanks re the old images, I hadn't realised there was a problem.  I will reupload...  I am now using 3d Studio Max over Maya, and yes to Zbrush, love it.  At present I am building a portfolio to enter the games industry - am currently restricted by work visa but waiting for a change of status with fingers very tightly crossed. 
    Instead of working full blast on my current project -Crystal Gems Home scene (in a separate thread)  I am also learning PBR texturing and tried Substance Designer for the first time today. Only just barely touched the surface and am very, very excited at the potential. I need to do a PBR scene next!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Last night's monstrosities. Starting to get into the swing

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    More tutorial materials. This is a lot of fun!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    First two full Substance materials, made without tutorials! Really pleased with the wood - the dirt can be controlled to make it as dirty or as clean as needed. Absolutely loving the process! (and staring at walls too long to work out how to make them)

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    A very quick marble in Substance Designer from scratch, and a dark old wood from scratch. I love how much a material can change in different lights - the wood is all the same material (original in SD is the inset image) Shown in Marmoset Toolbag.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Worked through a tutorial today in Substance Painter. The potential, it excites. 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I am taking part in a challenge here on Polycount but thought I would update here too, to keep things alive.  Process so far on the blocking, while trying to learn lighting in Unreal, learning Substance Designer and Substance painter, plus my first shot at doing something a bit more realistic (with stylised, Bioshock undertones)... head hurts now!  

• pablohotsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    Sick!  :)

I need to get my ass onto learning UE4 (and Substance and everything else).
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks, @pableaux !   Thats one of the reason I love 3d, there is so much to learn!  But it can be frustrating trying to learn lots of new skills at once... My head hurts right now!

WIP from last night - this is what happens when I have a vodka in hand and attempt to work, clicking on all the wrong buttons. I actually kinda like it. I think I went to a party here once?

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I need to make a rule that I can't start a new project until the old finished one is up on my website - because I keep forgetting to do final images! Finished this one ages ago (and have two others to post too). 
    While I was pleased with it at the time, now that I know how to use Substance Painter there are so many changes I would make! An excuse to make another grotesque monstrosity perhaps?
    More images at my website (www.allyalbon.com)

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    A speed sculpt I finished a little while ago

Based on an illustration by Francisco Riolobos. I came across Francisco’s art quite recently and love his graphical, flat style - plus you can’t go wrong with dinosaurs and dystopia. I wanted to see if I could capture the graphic/comic book nature of his work, so I set myself this piece as a “speed sculpt” (about 13 hours over a few days)
    It was hard to choose which illustration I wanted to match as they are all so lovely, but I liked the graffiti and cast shadows in this one so it is hopefully the first of many. 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Quick screenshot from Friday - my dog wasn’t feeling very well and so I had to do a vet trip, which was terribly distracting,  but she is a bit better now (touch wood) and I have managed a few more textures in SDesigner.  Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I haven’t posted in ages - been a pretty rough couple of weeks I must say.  However, things are coming together a bit more now.  On to the sofa and chairs next I think 

• Bunnirobotcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    you're so good at keeping up with challenges! looking great lady :) keep up the awesome work!
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Been looking through your stuff and loving the progressions, just started a sketchbook thread, hoping to keep it up to date haha.

Good jaahb!
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks @Bunnirobotcat, starting to run out of time now though!  @Beard3D Bandit - I find sketchbooks a great way to keep inspired and keep fighting onwards, they are a great idea!

Working away on the bar scene inbetween other projects that also have to be completed insanely soon... chair done. 

• pablohotsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pablohotsauce polycounter lvl 7
    Nice. Some crit, if you don't mind: from a design perspective, I think there are too many intricate and contrasty patterns in your recent preview: the floor, the chairs, the wall. They're great individually, but together, they're very noisy. I'd consider toning down the value contrast in at least one of them, like maybe the chairs. I'd make the chair cloth one solid color, and maybe keep a hint of the pattern there, but as a contrast between glossy/matte or something, instead of as a value contrast. (AKA, the lines in the chair pattern are glossy, the rest of the material is matte.) Clear as mud? :)
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @pableaux - thank you for that, and I do agree it's all a bit busy.  I'm a bit torn, as a lot of reference I have showing Art Deco interiors are very noisy, with an overabundance of colour and pattern - and this piece also represents an "alien culture" that is obsessed with Art Deco (XMD Challenge) and therefore would probably throw a lot of things together that don't necessarily work.  I will be doing a second pass soon, and will probably be hiding a lot of the noise!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    ...got until Friday to finish this Challenge piece. Fairly confident I will get it to a point I am happy with it, but there may not be much sleeping this week!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    XMD challenge has added a 2 day extension, finishes Sunday instead of today which makes me a very happy bunny and will give me time to add some items I thought I would have to leave out! Currently adding some details and playing with lighting as i really wasn't happy with the light in the previous images (I have no idea why it was hitting green on the stools?).  It's looking much better, and I particularly like this hit of hot light.

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    The Polycount XMD challenge finished a couple of days ago - my final submission and a couple more screenshots (more at www.allyalbon.com).  I am still going to work on this piece though, needs a lot more polishing and I will probably redo the lighting as well! 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Finished up this sculpt just for fun.  Mudkip!  (more at www.allyalbon.com

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I currently have 4 projects on the go at once (naughty) and hoping to wrap a couple up soon! This is a sculpt piece just for fun that I will be finishing up over the next couple of days. The critters need to be posed, and am going to add some fish too.  

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Fishy! Yellow tang are gorgeous things. This one is slightly fatter than normal, to make it easier to pose.