Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ally Albon

Replies

• Olenka
    Offline / Send Message
    Olenka polycounter lvl 3
    Ahaha those little tiny hands ! Are you doing the scales manually ? 
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon polycounter lvl 6
    Hi @olenka !  - yes, I am sculpting by hand and possibly trying to take 5 years off my life.  I spent a good couple of hours trying alphas and different faster techniques but disliked all of them so I am doing by hand - using masks, so it's a bit faster!

It was my husband that asked Ghreg get some hands, as she had none before and apparently it was creepy.  He says the tiny hands are actually more disturbing! (so, perfect!)

Enough time this evening to play around with Ghreg, changed her face a little and added more scales. Shame Zbrush is soooo sloooow on my computer.....

• renocrade
    Offline / Send Message
    renocrade polycounter lvl 2
    I like the hands its cute  :)
  • Olenka
    Offline / Send Message
    Olenka polycounter lvl 3
    Oh my god it will be so long ahaha but I should try to do this too ! If your computer is slow, try separating different parts in polygroups and hide them to focus on the part you are working on, it should be faster ! :D 
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Olenka - too right!  it's going to be a long time to finish! Thanks for the tip, I have already split her up, it's just my poor computer has been treated very poorly over the last year and is starting to struggle :D  

Finally had time to do a little bit more on Ghreg the ?   - I can't wait to get into texturing her, getting impatient now!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while since I have posted here - changed studio recently and loving it, and ready to jump in and finish some personal pieces.  Still working away on Ghreg! Should be finishing the scales this week, then the base!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to use every precious moment I can to make art in and my lunch break consists of small stints on this dude - he wore a costume in a recent episode that I really, really need to sculpt and possibly 3dprint as a present for my husband... this is about 30 minutes so far. 
    I really want to take this sculpt home and work on it more, but then I know I will not finish any of the others waiting desperately in line!  

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my goals for the (rapidly approaching) end of the year - finish off a few personal pieces that have been sitting gathering dust for ages. Worked on this guy briefly today using another model of mine for the base, that's why he looks really gnarly! Taking shape though!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    During my lunchbreak I am still working on sculpting alien buttocks.

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Jumped back into sculpting this guy! Have to remember I don't need to do too many details, as he is going to be pretty low poly in the end, to go with the Hamster Ramen cafe I made ages ago...
    Kitter is a very easygoing man. He loves running the coffee shop and always has interesting things on the menu, made from the freshest ingredients. He won't admit it, but he is a total coffee snob. His husband is the biology teacher at the local high school and is a Tokay gecko. Kitty always has fresh croissants and OJ waiting for when he comes over to have lunch.

Or something like that.

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I am not busy enough, I am doing a little bit of freelance for a friend - building a 1930's steamliner! A new challenge for me - luckily it is going to be reasonably stylized!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't believe it is Sunday night again! At least I managed to get a bit more done on the ship asset. Getting a ship's hull the right shape is a real pain!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Am I spending Boxing day hand sculpting scales again?
    Yes, yes I am. 

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally succumbed to the cold/flu that my poor husband has had for the past many days and I feel like total poop.... fortunately, that has meant that I have had time to finish all the scales on Ghreg's head and much of her body too - yay!

• Olenka
    Offline / Send Message
    Olenka polycounter lvl 3
    Looks so painful to make ! But good job, you managed to do it ! :D 
  • sbstndc
    Offline / Send Message
    sbstndc polycounter lvl 2
    I have read your introduction, it seems inspiring. I also went to university, and after 10 years of going around jobs I didn't like them, 2 years ago I was able to really learn what I liked from a heart, I had the possibility of learning 3D videogames and getting passion at this. I keep learning every day and meeting amazing people. cheer up .
  • Eric Chadwick
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Busy day, productive though and I managed to revisit Roger - mostly just working on his general silhouette and character. It's very hard turning a 2d character to 3d!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    So one of my New Year's resolutions is to get back into making more personal art - I didn't get half as much done last year as I wanted due to there not being enough hours in the day.
    I am such a huge fan of Piper Thibodeau's work - I have made a couple in the past - and I have started on another of her illustrations during my break at lunch... let's see how long it takes to finish it in 20 minute increments!
    This stage of the process is always so gnarly....

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Another 20 minutes and she has toes! Changed the pose a bit from the original concept as I liked the idea of her feet being in the air

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teensy bit more on the bluetongue - she now has fingers and some blueberries. Refining the silhouette and tidying up a bit more

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Extremely busy the past week, barely had time to do any personal art - but I did add some more blueberries to my lunchtime piece!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Nearly done with the base model for Roger, just some work on his hands and feet and general tweaking - then it is time to dress him up!

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on other projects that I can't talk about yet, but in what little time I have inbetween, I had time to work on Ghreg tonight! Nothing too obvious, mostly just her fluffy feet. Going to add some detail to the ground plane soon

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Had time to do a quick slap of base color on Ghreg tonight

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously going crazy from the quarantine, but I for some reason thought it might be fun to sculpt water splashes. Ask me again in a few days if this was in fact a good move.

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Welp, if I am not allowed to go out and play for at least six weeks (Texas new Stay In Place Order), I can at least learn to sculpt water. Not too bad for a first try, second pass tomorrow.

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    All about the rocks tonight - going to add some grass as well.