Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ally Albon

Replies

• AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I am alive! Promise! Just having an, ahem, interesting couple of weeks shall we say, that may lead to something rather cool. Watch this space. Sadly, I have lost a little of my mojo because of it (and I recently discovered Supernatural) so am being a bit slow. Expect major increase in output sooooon!

tumblr_n8kcmdYb2Y1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • Skarloc
    nice works :D love the lion statue
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Skarloc - thank you!

Have been having a bit of an artists epic block the last couple of weeks, combined with a rather busy work life. So I thought I would sculpt something for the sheer fun of it; one of my favouritest animals ever. About an hour in at this point.

tumblr_n8zcsbh87Q1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    And a little bit more steamy ungulate action, why not.
    tumblr_n911bl417y1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Start of polypaint. Still too damn hot to sit in the computer corner for long.

tumblr_n98k89JEIB1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Lowpoly – 2,300poly… keep being distracted by the awesomeness happening in San Diego today…

tumblr_n9e49hj3B31s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    this was meant to be a quick project... of course, it then turns into a big one... spent today sorting dodgy normal maps. Got there in the end.

tumblr_n9hl4g5DYW1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Working on this bad boy again but having epic issues with normal map. About to either pull hair out or drop laptop out window. Need chocolate!

tumblr_n9stadU86C1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Malaysian Tapir, finished! One of my favourite critters. I had the fortune to work at a zoo a few years ago and in particular, with Brazilian Tapirs. One of my fondest memories.

It was just over a year ago that I decided I was going to roll up my sleeves and get to grips with 3d. I had been fiddling around a little bit but nothing serious, was working more on 2d at that point, but had rapidly fallen in love with the 3d side of things. So I decided that it was time. And it has been an interesting year!

This week brings another milestone, because as of this week, I am working on my portfolio full time. I worked my notice at my job, took a week off to chill (aka watch Supernatural marathons and listen to really loud music), and from this week, it is all about the 3d! It is both really exciting and really scary. Hopefully this time next year I will have a fabulous portfolio and on my way to becoming a junior in a games company. I am still waiting to hear a final bit of information that will make this path a little clearer, until then things are still a little vague as to ultimate goals, but should hear soon.
    So, yes! going to be an interesting year, I hope.
    (more tapir pics at http://www.allyalbon.com)

tumblr_n9wgheFhZp1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9wgheFhZp1s4w6cvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9wgheFhZp1s4w6cvo3_1280.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    The tapirs look great! I'm excited to follow along as you develop more portfolio stuff. Keep at it!
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks, Carabiner! This coming year is hopefully going to be sweet.

Determined to get this model finished in next week (or so!). Keep being distracted by the last of the summer sun…

tumblr_na5pqjiSMT1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bolovorix ngon master
    Hey, Ally, very nice sketchbook! It's neat seeing your progression throughout this thread. Keep up the good work!
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks, Bolovorix!

It may not look it, but this car has one of the most complicated uv layouts I have done so far. Still got it all onto 0-1…. just.

tumblr_nab8gzmU6G1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Broom! Should be finished tomorrow. Left the decals until last because they are the best bit.

tumblr_nakkqbQUX11s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Because, coo.
    They are for my Ghostbusters scene!
    tumblr_naxebbdRKW1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Eeep! Love the confused one :)
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Carabiner - I get the feeling that all pigeons are slightly confused.

Ghostbusters scene is pretty much done! Husband gave a couple of suggestions that I will finish up tomorrow, but then it is done, done, done.... phew. Biggest project yet.

So because I couldn't bear to look at Ecto 1 anymore, I started on my next big project, slightly different, more about prop assets (and an environment). Any guesses at this early stage?

I also really need to crack down very soon and start learning how to use Max too, seeing as it is still a more common package in the games industry...

tumblr_nazcyp3Mtt1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Next project! (I still need to do a final presentation of the Ghostbusters scene, it has been a busy weekend).
    Because I love the show. And because it is a good excuse to create a ton of props for a character that likes costume changes. I would like to model his attic room too with his bar and lots of fun bits. (Klaus too, perhaps?)

But for now; Alien butt.
    tumblr_nb6vlqhFz61s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • KeirKieran
    Offline / Send Message
    KeirKieran polycounter lvl 3
    I love your low poly / painted texture pieces.

On that note, you promised you'd post the finished picture of your happy/sad fish cart with the not-so-simple ice texture. *poke poke*
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @KierKieran - good point!!! completely and utterly forgot! The fish are still happy, the ice texture still complicated (although I can see a lot of improvements to be made now)

Some images here and I have posted more on my website (www.allyalbon.com)

tumblr_nblkqmD7ac1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nblkqmD7ac1s4w6cvo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nblkqmD7ac1s4w6cvo4_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I’ve been a busy bunny and am terribly behind in my modelling – but it is for a good reason. I can’t quite recall if I have said this before, I think not, but part of the reason that I am about to work full time on my portfolio is also because I am moving house – from the UK to the USA!
    My other half has gained employment and after about eight months of wondering whether we would receive the visa or not (it’s a lottery), it is all official and we are all legal and for the first time in my life, I have managed to take a good photo for my passport. So I am currently packing up the house and am so excited that in less than a month, we are starting a new life in the USA. I can’t wait!!!
    So entries may be a little bit sporadic from now on as I panic prepare for a new life!
    For now, have a small Roger update.

tumblr_nc9qv85reD1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Well, I am now in the USA.
    Still adapting, slowly – talk about a culture shock! The last week has been utterly, utterly wonderful though…
    It many be a new country, a new life, but some things don’t change: back to the portfolio with no excuses – full time arting from now on, baby!
    Working on a tutorial on next gen style modelling in Zbrush (but with a different creature and working on a low poly model too). Quetzalcoatl – say that three times fast while drinking your coffee.

tumblr_ndigd8OB2G1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • riotorange
    Haha Welcome to the US! also Yay for happy fish ice! :)
  • JL-Art
    Offline / Send Message
    JL-Art polycounter lvl 4
    Cool work AllyAlbon. I'm curious about how you made the feathers/scales on the "snake body". Micromesh? : )
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    You really improved your skills.
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks everyone!
    I am working, honest. I just keep forgetting to post and most of it consists of zbrush crashes anyway…

tumblr_ndz64xXk5b1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Yeah, cos I don’t have enough to finish as it is.
    Quick new project - found a lovely concept piece online and had to model it - the challenge : to finish in two days (including today). Eep!
    I am soooooo buying the new version of Marmoset as soon as humanly possible.

tumblr_ne8gob3HXN1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Painting rocks today. I may have lied when I said the model would be done within 2 days (thank you, crashing computer)

tumblr_nelf7zpehQ1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • jewski-bot
    Offline / Send Message
    jewski-bot polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there, I really liked how the Ecto-1 and Firehouse are coming along. Don't get discouraged about modeling cars; they're somewhat deceptively hard, especially if you don't have the best of references where accuracy is king! You did a good job with getting an accurate game-res model and that's something to be proud of.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    That new scene looks nice so far. Waiting for more :)
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks guys!
    Because I have the attention span of a ferret, and because this international move has taken a lot of my attention/energy, I completely forgot I had not posted my final version of the Ghostbusters Firehouse and Ecto1!
    Great fun project, looking back there is a lot i would change, but definately a milestone piece so far.
    Plus, pigeons.
    More pics/videos for the true Ghostbusters fans at http://www.allyalbon.com/ghostbusters-firehouse-and-ecto1

tumblr_nfexjtQuTL1s4w6cvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfexjtQuTL1s4w6cvo3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nfexjtQuTL1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nfexjtQuTL1s4w6cvo4_1280.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Yissss! I am excited to see what the baked version of Quetzalcoatl looks like. Seems like really solid low-poly topology you got going on.
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hey Caribiner! The scroll model is finished - I am about to buy the new Marmoset and will use the scroll to practice with!

Roger dressed up as Tearjerker, with obligatory Martini two olives.
    Should have this textured by end of day, hopefully!

tumblr_nflu0aaoPh1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Having fun posing in Zbrush. It's surprisingly difficult turning a 2d cartoon into 3d - the fight to get it looking right is surprisingly hard!

tumblr_nfsez150sV1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Finished up the texture on the base model of Roger. He makes me laugh. Now back to posing Tearjerker!

tumblr_nfxmwvHXfo1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Another fab character! Scott Bingington! Currently making a low poly version of his fabulous hair.

(I broke the tearjerker model and am building up the impetus to fix him again)

tumblr_ng3dm8g8uI1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Bet you all thought I had forgotten about him :) He has become my weekend project!
    Humans have always been a weak point and this dude is my first human model, but I am not displeased with him. Made him slightly older and fed up of Skeletor’s shenanigans. I giggle over his hair.

tumblr_ngatutOICG1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Found out today this character is NOT Scott Bingington, it is in fact SCOTCH Bingington, which is even better.
    Zbrush Transpose Master is my enemy. This is the third time posing him without it doing some really weird stuff to me. We are not friends.

tumblr_nggaiubfJM1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    So I have had a horrid cold for most of last week and have not felt up for much; but there is always time for some sculpting - and Heman needs his bestie...

tumblr_nglttqCDZx1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Aaand onto no 3! I just got my sticky paws on the Marmoset Toolbag 2 demo, so am attempting to actually do presentation pics of at least 4 models that are finished and simply awaiting a bit of glamor... perhaps by this weekend.

tumblr_ngpc6tEJna1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Hope y'all had a great time!

A little bit more on the great steed - he is starting to look a bit fiercer,

Today I put my name down for a three month environment creation/cryengine course that starts in January - both v excited and v nervous as I have not done an intense tutor led course before, so I am going to throw myself in as fully as possible. Looking forward to some learnin'! Now I need to find an environment to build...

tumblr_nh9579KAWj1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Woot! Finally gained the courage to sign up for a 3 month online course in environment modelling, starting in Jan (And paid for it too - ow) and I CAN’T WAIT! Looking forward to some tutor led learnin’

I start in a few days and I am meant to be using 3ds Max. As a total Maya tart, I figure I had better crack on learning! So I am in the middle of a tutorial to build a tank! I can certainly see the appeal of Max - it’s a lot more “sensible” than Maya in places!

tumblr_nhgkj7OSU81s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Doing my usual, forgetting to post the final images once the model is finished!

Tearjerker!tumblr_nhl36pq3c21s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhl36pq3c21s4w6cvo2_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I have been told that Tearjerker is missing his hair. I used the wrong base texture and didn't notice. D'oh! Will be updated.

So I started a new course a couple of days ago - totally excited, however it does mean that my personal projects are on the backburner... but I managed to wrap up on my second Roger model – Scotch Bingington! One of the best episodes by far…

tumblr_ni0zz2KTMh1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ni0zz2KTMh1s4w6cvo2_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Modular buildings. Not as straightforward to build as I thought it would be. Dribble.

tumblr_ni6xtfVAVS1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • Andromeda
    Offline / Send Message
    Andromeda polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Ally, I was just wondering what online courses you'd recommend? or even ones you wouldn't! You seem to have really enjoyed doing the last few and I'm looking for some good ones
    Thank you!
    Andromeda
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Hi Andromeda - I have been using Digitaltutors for a year now - its great, but it does require you to go trawling the internet to solve problems, which I don't think is a bad thing. I am mostly self-taught by trial and error. I haven't done any proper "courses" until now and am currently learning with Futurepoly which has been amazing so far.

I'm learning how to use cryengine! It is insanely awesome, hair ripping out frustrating, and gorgeous all at the same time!

tumblr_nijlznOc3N1s4w6cvo3_1280.jpg
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I am in love with seeing models in engine! And it changes your perspective of the model insanely. Have completely changed my workflow since starting in engine. Hopefully finishing up this house today, and then on to my major project (and hopefully working on some more Roger costumes too!)

tumblr_niy7bg7BfI1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    ^^ Wow, this is great! Nice job on the railing, that looks tricky.
  • AllyAlbon
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Thanks, Carabiner - the railing is a flat plane with a detailed normal map - worked surprisingly well!

Soooo now that the course is going well and I am getting slowly more confident in Cryengine, I am going to start on my own scene - an abandoned castle that was once the pinnacle of the country - so lots of statues, decorations etc... I am both excited and terrified to get started, especially after youtubing other people's projects... but here is my Max blockout and time to start getting some individual assets happening.

tumblr_nj2l2uUpFu1s4w6cvo1_1280.jpg