Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huh thats a bummer : ( guess ill be showing it one side only in the workshop
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    you can add additional meshes in that screen, by pressing a button at the bottom that says additional Meshes.
  • TravelMate
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Thirsty spear - Phantom lancer

I want to hear your opinion :)

AqpkgNurhvs.jpg
  • improviz
  • A1mb0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
    Although i failed for a week to rig the tail to Sand King i published my set last night, without the tail though. But since it was my first whole sculpt/retopo/texture/dota masks project, I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Apparently according to SUNSfan from DotaCinema i just made the "pedophile scorpion"..

You can show it some love over here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153995231

2nlxwyr.jpg

33u96du.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Sharc's Bow of the Charcoal Dragon is done. Vote with your Clinkz if you like ^^:

anoy2dG.png

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154170398
  • vlad_the_implyer
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    oh nice man! we're working on a samurai based set for doom, cool stuff man :)
  • Prophet9
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    love the set Vlad - though I do wish you had given him a bit more of a chin.
  • MechBgum
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    reverendK wrote: »
    love the set Vlad - though I do wish you had given him a bit more of a chin.
    His default got about the same chin ._.
    MechBgum wrote: »
    I like this set for Juggernaut! :)
    Nonsense, that is clearly a Dragon Knight set
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    IMO, can't you make a similar themed set for Juggernaut? I somehow see it possible. Will buy in a heartbeat :D
  • Kuhlhaus
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4

Wow I really dig the artwork, one of the best I've seen!
    I think the headpiece makes it look a lot like juggernaut, but it really looks greta ingame guys, great work! upvoted :)

Got some small progress on my CK mount, it's ingame but it still has a few skinning issues. But they are easy to fix, for now I'm done for today..

ulOEHm1.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got a stack of emails from steam that i was getting items accepted! I'm crazy excited :D it says i need to verify my payment information, though - And i can't decide if they're just talking about the revenue share options or something else i'm missing. Can any of you veterans direct me in the right direction, or at least tell me to stop freaking out?

I also need to do the tax information, too...needs to look that up in this thread somewhere.

:D!!!!
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The payment information is your bank details etc. You can find the link to it on your workshop page. It's on the right hand side, above the View Legal Agreement link. You don't have to stress to much, they will hold onto your money until you fill out the information.

Oh, and congrats!:)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Vlad that set is boss! I love the way you handled the textures, it really looks like nice polished metal

Busy working away on the axe. No mask2 texture applied yet axe1.png

But I'm getting this weird shading issue on the back side of the axe. The axe is mirrored so the UVs are stacked but I've done that before with my Void set and never got those weird shading issues. Anyone know whats up? Is it a normal map issue? Since it does not seem to be applied in the previewer. axe3.PNG

EDIT* Reversed the green channel and the normal map seemed to be applied correctly. Still got that weird shading issue, however it really only shows up on the idle/portrait but not the run and pretty much everything else. Must be a weird lighting issue then?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks like it might be a smoothing group problem -- but it's not consistent enough to be certain. I was going to tell you your normals were reversed before i saw the edit...
    if you've got the tri's you might try even just putting a supporting loop in and spreading out the opposing faces a bit.

also double check that the overlapping UV islands aren't stitched together anywhere.
  • Kraken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Looks like I've finished with high poly:

o2htTB9.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken wrote: »
    Looks like I've finished with high poly:

o2htTB9.jpg

Love it! :thumbup:
  • Aumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first set and by an amateur. Be gentle!

tQb2ha3.jpg

(Not pictured: new particles)

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=153697780

Also if anyone has some constructive feedback they want to share then please pop over to my thread and leave some! I'm very interested in getting some, learning more and getting better.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @kraken:

Looking good. Curious to see what you'll do with the textures.

@Aumbra:

I really liked the cowl idea, and it's a solid looking set.

I feel you could've done something more ambitious for the hair, would help it stand out a bit more.
  • Aumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus wrote: »
    @Aumbra:

I really liked the cowl idea, and it's a solid looking set.

I feel you could've done something more ambitious for the hair, would help it stand out a bit more.

I really feel like it's the weakest part of the set and I had the most trouble with it apart from the chest armor. I suck at hair a lot and it's an area I need a lot of improvement with. Thanks for the advice.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    How does the new particle stuff works? Are you supposed to add a vert somewhere, where the particle is going to be attached? Can anyone shed a light on this?
    I'm trying to move CK's weapon default particle, so it doesn't get stuck inside the mesh.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like Templar Assassin has been kind of overlooked in terms of the dota store and workshop. Working on a new set in collaboration with DoubleLeaf, who provided some excellent concept art. :)

XI8Vy6l.jpg
  • Aumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    How does the new particle stuff works? Are you supposed to add a vert somewhere, where the particle is going to be attached? Can anyone shed a light on this?
    I'm trying to move CK's weapon default particle, so it doesn't get stuck inside the mesh.

I was playing around with it today for a short time to get it on my Antimage weapons and while I can't really confirm this for you definitively until I at least spend a little longer with it, I might be able to help.

When an item requires particles (the antimage weapons specifically require you to set out particles for them now, otherwise you can't import) there's a second page to the import window (lod1, lod0, textures and then a next page button) where you specify the file to import for particles. When it imports this file it creates a particle emitter on each vertex and possibly one between each vertex (something I need to look into more, it seemed like it was but I might have misjudged it).

Unfortunately I don't have the files on this computer to show you what I did and how it turned out but it was actually quite easy to set up so I don't think you guys will have problems.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Aumbra wrote: »
    I was playing around with it today for a short time to get it on my Antimage weapons and while I can't really confirm this for you definitively until I at least spend a little longer with it, I might be able to help.

When an item requires particles (the antimage weapons specifically require you to set out particles for them now, otherwise you can't import) there's a second page to the import window (lod1, lod0, textures and then a next page button) where you specify the file to import for particles. When it imports this file it creates a particle emitter on each vertex and possibly one between each vertex (something I need to look into more, it seemed like it was but I might have misjudged it).

Unfortunately I don't have the files on this computer to show you what I did and how it turned out but it was actually quite easy to set up so I don't think you guys will have problems.

I saw that second page, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to add there. Is it the default model (the same used for lod0/1) or is it a special one? CK's particle is a bit different from Anti-Mage's, so it may also be different how it is applied.

There's a Particle Guide link (or something like that) on the importer, however, there's still no guide on the website. The best we can hope for is for Valve to post something up.
  • Aumbra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I first saw it I just put in the LoD1 model and it made particles all over about half of it. I think that it might have some kind of limit set internally.

I'm not sure how the CK particles are but with the antimage ones they only go along the front edge of the blade (or are meant to traditionally). I made a new mesh which was basically a strip of polygons with all of the verticies moves into a line along the blade. I couldn't really think of a better way to do it in the short time I had but it seems to have worked okay.

Ld4pyvc.jpg

If you look closely (its easier on the default model because it's spread out better) you can see the circles in the center of the particles which happens to be where the verticies lie. But I believe that at least in this case it put particles between my verticies too, so there's more than I actually had. The possibly wrong way that I did my particles means that theres an edge that basically runs from the outmost vertex all the way to the middle vertex, but there doesnt seem to be any visible particle coming from inside the blade.

Also I don't know about the LoD1/0 thing because I only ever imported an LoD1 weapon as it is never seen in the portrait, but I think it's safe to assume it would just apply to both (or perhaps its set to only work on LoD1).
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    That looks pretty awesome :D

CK have only one small particle, that kinda acts like a glowing ball on the original weapon, and looks really out of place on mine.

Here's a picture I took recently:

9vuh6ZX.png

They probably behave differently. On AM they are several emitters going along the edge, while on CK it's just one.

I'll try some stuff and see if I can work it out as soon as I get home, thanks for the help!
  • archie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey just came up with some random horse-ception idea, any feedbacks? (ignore the unfinished textures of the eyes and the handle).
    zjDZ2D.png
    ivJmRz.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogofduty3.jpg

sadly i have no control whatsoever over mask2 :( mask1 does work, self illu and metalness, but i have no control over specular or the rimlight :(

so i had to bake and paint in way more specular than usual :/
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    dogofduty3.jpg

sadly i have no control whatsoever over mask2 :( mask1 does work, self illu and metalness, but i have no control over specular or the rimlight :(

so i had to bake and paint in way more specular than usual :/
    That weiner is huuuge!

Regarding the mask, it is obvious that it works, just looks at the amount of rimlight. it's just courier material is so different from most of the heroes, the spec is not that bright and rimlightis really intense. You may also want to check blue channel for specular by color texture and alpha for the specular sharpness.
    But if you want something shiny, use metalness.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my god that dog is amazing!!!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That weiner is huuuge!

Regarding the mask, it is obvious that it works, just looks at the amount of rimlight. it's just courier material is so different from most of the heroes, the spec is not that bright and rimlightis really intense. You may also want to check blue channel for specular by color texture and alpha for the specular sharpness.
    But if you want something shiny, use metalness.

thanks for the reply man!

it obviously does not work as the normal shader.

It is a known problem anuxi and others ran into the same issue.
    The only way to get something like specular is either removing the tinting entirely, which makes the specular completely purpleish. I could load up a working mask setup from any weapon and it doesn't work on the courier.

Now if i remove the tinting and have that purple specular it doesn't get touched by the glossyness at all.
    I tried back and forth, removing the rim for instance or making it 100% it doesn't work like the other assets so far, so is there any type of documentation to see how the masks are used?

okay lets try to dig deeper, on Mask1 metalness works, selfillu does as well, the other 2 channels are not needed in this case.
    My Selfillu is 0 my metallness like 10%.

Mask 2 does pretty much nothing, well it does stuff, but lets show you

first of all my current test masks, its obviously not a final texture but i'm constantly playing around with the values, so until i know how it works i keep it messy. As said, even maps from working assets don't work at all on a courier.

here are my masks:

mask01.jpg
    So the spec is high at places, the Rim is 0 besides on small white pixel to not mess with the compiler, the Tint is also 0 besides one pixel and the gloss is semisharp with sharp areas here and there

the current result

mask02.jpg
    the result, Now lets invert the rim

mask03.jpg
    no change whatsoever, the green channel is completely white besides a bit of black, obviously as it is inverted.

now lets invert the tinting
    mask04.jpg
    oh nice, purple spec, not white as on all other assets.
    Okay lets try to make it sharper at places, with tuning the glossiness, his thigh is a good place to test this

mask05.jpg
    current status of mask2

mask06.jpg
    The result, no change at all - now lets ramp up the spec at places

mask07.jpg
    mask08.jpg
    you see a difference? yeah me neither, okay lets try something else, lets remove the spec entirely.

mask09.jpg
    mask10.jpg
    not a single F* was given.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Another dude with no regards for other peoples stufs :D
    Please report his ass

this dudes "ch weapon" :
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=154154708
    1515DEE3189581BCBA3DE5365725E7E340C487A7

dominance war one :
    http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/images/Support/imrod.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I don't understand those ppl. Why steal concepts while they could cooperate with so many talented concept artists here... Other thing is that ... stealing from top 10 dominance war entries is like stealing logo from coca cola... everyone just will know it was stolen...
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Already down.

This guy had almost 0 work to come up with this, as the author made the model and texture downloadable in his site.
  • Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    @Neox: Ah, that would explain why I couldn't get what I wanted either :D I spent hours doing tests and nothing was changing. Is it alpha on the feather of his hat? I couldn't get the alpha working myself.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean. There are two things, actually.
    First of all, check out the grillhound
    f6JsGJE.jpg

Material is exactly the same along with the purple spec and hard rimlight everywhere, even where it's black on the mask. Shiny parts are only the ones with metalness mask, and so on.

The second thing is, loadout view and ingame view is two different color spaces, how it looks in the loadout preview can be completely different from the thing you see ingame (see Slardar, Ursa and so on), this comes from the lighting setups, partly because loadout preview is a bunch of spotlights while ingame is more complex, with sun/night, dire/radiant lighting setups.

What i suggest is, make out your masks as you think they should be and try testing it out ingame.

The specular works fine (you can test it with really-really dark texture), except that it's faint purple and it's really hard to see. So i think you should check it out ingame (not the day/night view, but full-on testmap) and work within the confines of the material.

You can test the masks not by changing the masks, but first by testing the texture.
    so is there any type of documentation to see how the masks are used?
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf

Now it's manly time! Not sure how am i going to retopo all of this
    tzrxFJN.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

of course i know this one, but i meant how they are intepreted by the couriers shader, because they are obviously not working as described in this document

aaaaand nice beard :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course i know this one, but i meant how they are intepreted by the couriers shader, because they are obviously not working as described in this document

aaaaand nice beard :)
    As i said, it works just fine.

Take a look, El gato materials
    "CustomHero"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models/items/courier/el_gato_beyond_the_summit/el_gato_beyond_the_summit_color"
    "$normalmap" "models/items/courier/el_gato_beyond_the_summit/el_gato_beyond_the_summit_normal"
    "$maskmap2" "models/items/courier/el_gato_beyond_the_summit/el_gato_beyond_the_summit_mask2"
    "$SPECULAREXPONENT" "2"
    "$SPECULARSCALE" "1"
    "$RIMLIGHTSCALE" "1"
    "$specularcolor" "[1 .4 .7]"
    "$RIMLIGHTCOLOR" "[1 1 1]"
    "$rimlightblendtofull" "1"
    "$specularblendtofull" "1"
    "$specularexponentblendtofull" "1"
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "$alphatest" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
    "invis_proxy"
    {
    }
    "status_proxy"
    {
    }
    }
    "$maskmap1" "models/items/courier/el_gato_beyond_the_summit/el_gato_beyond_the_summit_mask1"
    }

IG dragon material
    "CustomHero"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models/items/courier/ig_dragon/ig_dragon_color"
    "$normalmap" "models/items/courier/ig_dragon/ig_dragon_normal"
    "$maskmap2" "models/items/courier/ig_dragon/ig_dragon_mask2"
    "$SPECULAREXPONENT" "2"
    "$SPECULARSCALE" "1"
    "$RIMLIGHTSCALE" "1"
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
    "invis_proxy"
    {
    }
    "status_proxy"
    {
    }
    }
    "$maskmap1" "models/items/courier/ig_dragon/ig_dragon_mask1"
    }

Shitty bear material
    "CustomHero"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "models/items/courier/d2l_steambear/d2l_steambear_color"
    "$normalmap" "models/items/courier/d2l_steambear/d2l_steambear_normal"
    "$maskmap2" "models/items/courier/d2l_steambear/d2l_steambear_mask2"
    "$SPECULAREXPONENT" "2"
    "$SPECULARSCALE" "1"
    "$RIMLIGHTSCALE" "1"
    "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
    "Proxies"
    {
    "invis_proxy"
    {
    }
    "status_proxy"
    {
    }
    }
    "$maskmap1" "models/items/courier/d2l_steambear/d2l_steambear_mask1"
    }

They're all the same, so the material works fine, it's just the way it is and you should work in the confinements of the material. Make your color map solid dark color and test the maps around.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    A'ight, I'm done with sculpting the armor, now going to finish the sword.

Progress so far:

9104034922_a41724dc03_b.jpg
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12

You should post this on the dev forum and see what they have to say.

The case may be that we just have to work with it like Vlad says or maybe it's another major overlooked bug.

http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407
  • sadies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken - Like your Lion set and sculpt :)
    Frump - Slick TA set, nice sculpting!
    Neox - Haha, he's looking cute! Weiner balloon might be tad too big IMO but nice work for sure
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    You should post this on the dev forum and see what they have to say.

The case may be that we just have to work with it like Vlad says or maybe it's another major overlooked bug.

http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=407

yup i did, maybe wrong forum

http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=93308

however, besides the bugged rimlight i think the baked in spec works just fine, of course its not the same as a proper one, but with the somewhat static lighting it looks good ingame.
  • putka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, how do you go about making your LODs for the helm? I mean, if you start from LOD0 and then take away from that to get LOD1, its gonna mess up your UVs. One does not simply alter the geometry after the textures are baked. Or do you just ignore whatever warping that occurs as a result of messing up the silhouette?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    putka wrote: »
    Hey guys, how do you go about making your LODs for the helm? I mean, if you start from LOD0 and then take away from that to get LOD1, its gonna mess up your UVs. One does not simply alter the geometry after the textures are baked. Or do you just ignore whatever warping that occurs as a result of messing up the silhouette?

if you plan out your uvs well enough from start you if course can create the lod1 from lod0, what software are you using? in max turn on preserve uvs and most things will be just fine. however i prefer to do it the other way around, do the ingame asset first and make it rounder afterwards. besides hats it doesn't matter for the portrait anyways.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    In Blender, using the Dissolve tool on edges lets you decimate faces without losing the UV setup, as long as you don't dissolve seams.