Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    how does it look ingame with the shader applied? its good that you pay so much attention to the diffuse, but in the end this will be somewhat wasted energy if it doesn't come ove in the game. Not for a personal item for sure, but just in regards to Dota.
  • A1mb0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A1mb0t polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone, hopefully gonna finish my first dota set this weekend! Still have to do some ingame testing as well as do the different masks, but I already have this little render to show you! Feedback is greatly appreciated!

edit: already noticed the typo... ;)

2yxoz5u.jpg
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Some tweaks to the CK sword!

9vuh6ZX.png

C&C welcome!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Hey guys, i mademy first dota set too :]

i felt like the breaker just needed something massive like this, so i made a set.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=152902322

breaker_promo_icons.jpg
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey uh guys, I think I accidentally messed up my normals. They look like this, can anyone maybe suggest what I did wrong? (This is the handplane output, after using a low-poly object file with the global map render thingy)
    C8UGArV.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Had something similar when I tried handplane a few months back, bump for the question!
  • 7thBattery
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    Hey uh guys, I think I accidentally messed up my normals. They look like this, can anyone maybe suggest what I did wrong? (This is the handplane output, after using a low-poly object file with the global map render thingy)
    C8UGArV.png
    I haven't used Handplane, but global maps are like normal maps, but from a 'global' or 'object' perspective if that makes sense.

I googled to find some exlanations between the two and the first entry was from this very site: http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap/#Tangent-Space_vs._Object-Space

You should be rendering 'Tangent Space' normal maps, although I will sometimes render Globals and overlay the green or blue channel to give a hint of top down lighting. Hope that helps.
  • betablizk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, im curious. I'm working on a PA set at the moment, and im just wondering, If im allowed to use valve's current meshes? I want to retain PA's nice ponytail, ebcause it works perfect with the headgear I made. Thanks in advance.
  • darkartsofneko
    I was working on my masks for my set today, and when I uploaded them to see how they looked, I noticed they caused weird shadows on my model. Does anyone know what would have caused this or how to fix it? The model on the left just has a 50% gray plane (with a spot of white and black in it) as the masks, and the one on the right has my custom masks.
    12_zps5d213cd6.png
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Nice start on the Lion Set Kraken, very chunky.

So i finally finished one of these Ursa sets, heres the collection link below. Throw me a vote if you like it, thanks!

The Bear Necessities
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=152990578

kZD9bLJ.jpg
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Worked a little more on lina
    sx8i.jpg

Feedback would be most welcome
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    betablizk : I think so, or at least you can use as a base , and modify it here and there .

I-ninja : You gotta work on your folds , they dont have to be perfect ,but they have to make some sense :)
    Try to make a sketch before making any items ; It saves u allot of hassle and headache. You allso need some distinctive details/shapes to make your set stand out.
    Good luck:)

fashion-dress-2012-new-chiffon-hanging-neck.jpg
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, I'm sure this has been answered a million times before but google is failing me. Are the items placed into chests able to be bought on their own, or is the only way to get them through opening chests?

Edit: Also, do the contributers get a share of all key sales, or only keys that unlock our items?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm sure this has been answered a million times before but google is failing me. Are the items placed into chests able to be bought on their own, or is the only way to get them through opening chests?

Edit: Also, do the contributers get a share of all key sales, or only keys that unlock our items?

good question!
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    as far as i remember right, items in a chest usually are in the store aswell, and contributors get a share of the totally sold keys. i think helenek had some posts on this topic in the dota2 - workshop thread somewhere.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Nope, they don't go into the Store.

The key sales are split amongst the contributors of the chest and people who have more than one item in the chest obviously get a larger cut.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    chest items aint in store? not even later? well on the other hand makes perfect sense since valve wants to sell keys. if i can get the same item as in the box for under 2$ why buy a crate key.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting there eventually.

OBt28lE.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Some questions:
    - New chest has all rares and mythical items. How do Valve list common and uncommon?
    - Do you sometimes make items with some strange anomaly that can only be seen from impossible angles in the game and let it be? Can it be accepted?
    - If an item looks horrible up close but good ingame, does it fly by Valve? Or does it have to look good always?
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Great to hear an iitem got ingame after a holiday :)
    Finially an item ingame again :) and it looks awesome..

Congratz Andrew for the good colaberation, we finially managed to get an non hero based ward ingame! And congratz offcourse to anyone that got something ingame!

I hope to finially get some more work done on my Chaos Knight set this week.

@Kraken, it looks really great, like where u are going, but watch out it doesn't get to dark with the stones..
  • Lan56k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was working on my masks for my set today, and when I uploaded them to see how they looked, I noticed they caused weird shadows on my model. Does anyone know what would have caused this or how to fix it? The model on the left just has a 50% gray plane (with a spot of white and black in it) as the masks, and the one on the right has my custom masks.

Is it really a shadow (moving on the model surface) or a static color alteration?
    The metalness mask darkens the diffuse color (among other things)
    So it could be a good candidate for investigation :)
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Dyrnwyn - Juggernaut

J6X5ZJgNyDWS_8sQm9bXxyzBXyafHvyJGG4MrPeVRfM
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, they don't go into the Store.

The key sales are split amongst the contributors of the chest and people who have more than one item in the chest obviously get a larger cut.

Thanks a lot Brunto, that's what I had figured but wanted to be sure. It's a pretty interesting system since we're all sharing each other's popularity. Keys seem to remain the top sellers, so I feel like this is better in the long run for everyone.

Whelp, gratz everyone who got approved yesterday!
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Guys, I'm just wondering where I put in my info for them to begin paying me? I got an email with a link but it just goes to my workshop. Am I just being blind?
  • TommyTehZombie
    Nikey wrote: »
    Dyrnwyn - Juggernaut

J6X5ZJgNyDWS_8sQm9bXxyzBXyafHvyJGG4MrPeVRfM

I've been working on something sort of similar for Dragon Knight =X

uw7Io6y.png
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Guys, I'm just wondering where I put in my info for them to begin paying me? I got an email with a link but it just goes to my workshop. Am I just being blind?

I got the same thing. I'm pretty sure its referring to the % you put for the revenue distribution, which you probably already finalized when you uploaded the item. If thats not it, then im not sure because I also can't find anything else >.<
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    I got the same thing. I'm pretty sure its referring to the % you put for the revenue distribution, which you probably already finalized when you uploaded the item. If thats not it, then im not sure because I also can't find anything else >.<

nope thats not it, you'll have to file in a few papers for taxes and stuff, but it seems their link is borked :/

i guess ww'll have to contact the support.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Here's the link.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/ >>your name here<< /workshoppaymentinfo
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks. Now I have to get an ITIN and a EIN.... god damnit.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

ITIN or an EIN.

If you're eligible get an EIN, apparently they're a lot easier/quicker to obtain.

If not... hope you like waiting.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    If you have a US tax number or a Social Security Number, it goes pretty 'fast' with only about a month or so of waiting. But getting the tax numbers is the harder part, getting all that stuff took way longer :(

And
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/"STEAM ID"/workshoppaymentinfo

seems to work for me
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    betablizk : I think so, or at least you can use as a base , and modify it here and there .

I-ninja : You gotta work on your folds , they don't have to be perfect ,but they have to make some sense :)
    Try to make a sketch before making any items ; It saves you a lot of hassle and headache. You also need some distinctive details/shapes to make your set stand out.
    Good luck:)

fashion-dress-2012-new-chiffon-hanging-neck.jpg

thank you i will learn how to do folds at once
  • Vextrakt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    If you have a US tax number or a Social Security Number, it goes pretty 'fast' with only about a month or so of waiting. But getting the tax numbers is the harder part, getting all that stuff took way longer :(

And

seems to work for me

That link just leads to an error page for me. I put in Vextrakt and tried my account name. Neither worked >.< is the steam ID something else? I tried the number in my profile URL as well.

Edit: Figured it out. For anyone having trouble, go to your steam profile, edit profile, and create a custom URL with your username. Not sure what the default ID would be, but here's a workaround.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Curious- I remember someone making a thread that had pictures of most of the dota 2 characters you could customize as just renders of the base. I can't seem to find that again- can anyone direct me? Seems like that kind of thing could benefit from being stickied :)
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10

I'm in the same boat right now. It'll be interested to see how long it actually takes. :poly117:
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    We remade our Mirana set after hearing some feedback.
    And decided to change the illustration to go with our Luna set =p
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=153130073

kal1R0W.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just nice zaphk!

hmmm so i have a new weapon ready to test ingame, but i only can chose from a very limited selection since the last test. Only in store, not if i test with bots, but there i can't have my new weapon, so how do I test this stuff ingame now?
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Spudnik wrote: »

And

seems to work for me

Unfortunately I live in the UK so I have none of these, I guess I'll try to get an EIN on Monday when their offices are open again.

Is anyone else here from the UK and gone through this process?
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    someone had that issue in the polycount chat last night as well.

i've checked on two computers and i'm okay so far. no idea what the cause might be
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    just nice zaphk!

hmmm so i have a new weapon ready to test ingame, but i only can chose from a very limited selection since the last test. Only in store, not if i test with bots, but there i can't have my new weapon, so how do I test this stuff ingame now?

I'm having the same problem since the last update D:
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    OniLolz wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem since the last update D:

Same here. I can't test my set because Medusa isn't available in the test game.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    someone had that issue in the polycount chat last night as well.

i've checked on two computers and i'm okay so far. no idea what the cause might be

That'll be me :shifty:
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Zaphk wrote: »

kal1R0W.jpg
    New set, old cat jaw problems. Kitty needs a dental plan.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I live in the UK so I have none of these, I guess I'll try to get an EIN on Monday when their offices are open again.

Is anyone else here from the UK and gone through this process?

I think coming from the EU you'll only have to fill out the W 8BEN form, i mailed my tax consultant she should be around tomorrow, i'm pretty sure the US tax numbers do not apply to foreigners
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teamed up with Danidem and made a Slark dagger :D
    99303AB79905703D3C207EF0815C73E690E9920D
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool, love those whacky thingies
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Neox wrote: »
    I think coming from the EU you'll only have to fill out the W 8BEN form, i mailed my tax consultant she should be around tomorrow, i'm pretty sure the US tax numbers do not apply to foreigners
    They do. You have to check if your country supports the tax returns.
    In completing the W-8BEN, you must provide a U.S. Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) in order to claim benefits under an income tax treaty. If you are an individual and don't have a social security number (SSN) and are not eligible to get one, you must get an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). To apply for an ITIN, file Form W-7 with the IRS. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to get an ITIN. If you are not an individual who is an employer, you must enter an employer idenfication number (EIN). If you do not have an EIN, you should apply for one on Form SS-4. See the FAQ for further details on how to apply for an ITIN.

Teamed up with Danidem and made a Slark dagger :D
    That is so cartoony i can actually feel art direction digging it's grave.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    strange never needed that stuff my us clients
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Neox There was an option to receive money from workshop without ITIN/EIN however you would only get 70% of revenue because Valve would have to pay TAX in US before transferring founds.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is so cartoony i can actually feel art direction digging it's grave.
    Weird, all I can feel is pride and a definite positive response from the community.