Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I second this, I think it would be nice to know that they have at least looked at your item. At the moment there's no way to know if it's been considered or not. It's not necessary but it would be nice to know you have had some sort of interaction with Vulva. I mean Valve.
    They look at everything.

Just because it wasn't added in a certain patch doesn't mean it will never be added. I waited months before some of my items were accepted.

If you just focus on making quality items which the community likes and you're proud of you'll be fine. Don't worry about strategically timing when you upload your items, it won't mean anything if it's not a good item.

You guys are seriously getting way too into all these schemes, conspiracy theories and tactics. This isn't a rat race, it's a passion, a hobby, a labour of love.

Just make good items.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    They look at everything.

Just because it wasn't added in a certain patch doesn't mean it will never be added. I waited months before some of my items were accepted.

If you just focus on making quality items which the community likes and you're proud of you'll be fine. Don't worry about strategically timing when you upload your items, it won't mean anything if it's not a good item.

You guys are seriously getting way too into all these schemes, conspiracy theories and tactics. This isn't a rat race, it's a passion, a hobby, a labour of love.

Just make good items.

I personally do items because I just love to see something I made in a game like this, I play dota2 a LOT, getting money is a nice extra tbh, but doing this improves my skills and there is always that chance to jackpot! xD

the only reason I said that rejected thing is because it gives us more connected to valve, so we can truly see if we are going in the right direction or not, adding this little pack of items when there are ton of us making them dosnt help at all :P
  • Dimmak93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone! i'm new learning 3d modeling hope i can do something good enough
    Right now i have some questions that maybe some of you could answer them

I don't understand something about lod0 and lod1, when you bake your highpoly and do your UVs maps do you work on lod0 or lod1? Lets say you work on lod0 (bake,maps,everyting) then when you create lod1 you have to do all again? i mean the UV map changes since you are reducing polygons or just the game engine can read lod0 and translates everything to the lod1.

I hope you can understand :) and help me
  • dreadsnipa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have a question everybody, I made a custom hook for Pudge and I got it in the game and everything, but when I use the skill where he throws the hook,he throws his original hook while my hook stays in his hand. Anybody know how I can fix this?
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    aivanov wrote: »
    And reverend, I'm sure they do. That Rubick head slot wasn't added by accident. Though trying to figure out Valve's notoriously-inscrutable decision-making process is a whole other ordeal.
    marul wrote: »
    I guess it's up to the popularity of the hero and the success of the set combined. I can't imagine how much that Rubick set earned it's creator. o_O

Jeez. I'm right here, you can just ask. :)

@aivanov: If they added the head slot due to the WIP shots of my rubick set, they did not contact me about it. I actually was upset about it at first because without warning I suddenly had to redo huge portions of my set. So I have no idea if that's the case or not.

@marul: Honestly, I feel they've paid me too much. Of course I'm not complaining, I'm ecstatic, but I wish other fellow artists were getting paychecks like I've been getting from the zeal set. Hopefully some are but they're just keeping quiet.

Alright, let me throw my hat into the courier discussion, wall of text incoming:

I understand valve's and the creator's positions on this. On the one hand, we're talking about a .0001% chance to get one of 10-15 couriers per chest. Either those couriers take a huge portion of the profits away from the main items featured in the chests, or a negligible amount is removed and split 15 ways to the point that it's worth almost nothing. On the other hand, creators deserve to be paid for their work, plain and simple, but I'm not too sure a 15 way split of a small portion from chests would amount to much.

The problem with couriers is that each player only needs to buy a single courier ever, after the first they have no reason to buy another. I'll use my friend as an example, he absolutely had to have the snowl courier, bought it, loves it, then captain bamboo came out. He loved captain bamboo as well but, he already had a snowl, why would he buy another courier when he's only going to use/equip the one?

If I were Valve (which I'm not :D ), and I wanted to increase courier sales, I'd allow for player loadout items to also be customizable on a per-hero basis. For example, you could have cluckles as your default courier, but you could equip snowl on your crystal maiden, kupu on venomancer etc. This could also increase the sales of wards and announcer packs, storm spirit announcer on storm, jakiro ward etc. I'd be willing to bet that players would be much more willing to buy multiple couriers if they could equip them all simultaneously instead of having all additional couriers they own "go to waste." I know some people here would think that making hero-themed couriers would be boring kindof like the hero-themed wards situation, but it should give a large boost to sales, if that's our goal.
    At the end of the day this is a privilege and not a right, I'm just be happy this amazing opportunity exists at all and there's too many positive things about it to worry about the few negatives.

Please don't forget this everyone. Which would make valve more money: the system we have going now? Or if instead they hired a few 3d artists at 60k a year and had them on a 1 set/chest item per week quota, and took 100% of the profits? I don't think there's any question about which would make them more money, and now we're going to have the third party revenue split on top of that? Valve clearly highly values community input or they wouldn't be doing this at all. It's more work for them for less money, but creates a better overall experience for their customers. Name another company that would be willing to do that.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Konras wrote: »
    We should nominate Polycount as third party! Wonder if thats posible though...

Holy shit, great idea.

If I were Valve (which I'm not ), and I wanted to increase courier sales, I'd allow for player loadout items to also be customizable on a per-hero basis. For example, you could have cluckles as your default courier, but you could equip snowl on your crystal maiden, kupu on venomancer etc. This could also increase the sales of wards and announcer packs, storm spirit announcer on storm, jakiro ward etc. I'd be willing to bet that players would be much more willing to buy multiple couriers if they could equip them all simultaneously instead of having all additional couriers they own "go to waste." I know some people here would think that making hero-themed couriers would be boring kindof like the hero-themed wards situation, but it should give a large boost to sales, if that's our goal

And this would be fantastic, i have a few wards warlock/lich and im constantly using the wrong one for each character. I think i would buy wards and more couriers if, as you mention, i could assign them to specific characters.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Taunts are in the chests too. Interesting.
    I expected some HUDs too, but there doesn't seem to be any yet.

Edit: Looks like this chest is not going over well, just based off of some traders I've talked to.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats the problem?
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Limited items, only Eye has anything "special" about it, and the special courier particles only work well on stumpy, so courier collectors have nothing to buy into.

Taunts might help it with sales though.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

If I were Valve (which I'm not :D ), and I wanted to increase courier sales, I'd allow for player loadout items to also be customizable on a per-hero basis. For example, you could have cluckles as your default courier, but you could equip snowl on your crystal maiden, kupu on venomancer etc. This could also increase the sales of wards and announcer packs, storm spirit announcer on storm, jakiro ward etc.

Dude that's a wicked idea. You need to post that on the dev forums!

So I don't really have anything to add to this discussion :( So I'm gonna post arts.

I couldn't choose which wing design I liked better so I made one for the set and one for a single item addition. :) The bound wing will be a single item and the softer wing will be for the set. (I just split them for the render so you can see)

wingsHigh.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    We should nominate Polycount as third party! Wonder if thats posible though...
    It already should be on the list, i think. Wonder why it's broken now.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else having problems with Dota crashing while viewing an item in the workshop publisher?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Chaemirix wrote: »
    Limited items, only Eye has anything "special" about it, and the special courier particles only work well on stumpy, so courier collectors have nothing to buy into.

Taunts might help it with sales though.

I think I'll be abandoning couriers in favor of taunts in my free time. 'bout time.
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Dude that's a wicked idea. You need to post that on the dev forums!

So I don't really have anything to add to this discussion :( So I'm gonna post arts.

I couldn't choose which wing design I liked better so I made one for the set and one for a single item addition. :) The bound wing will be a single item and the softer wing will be for the set. (I just split them for the render so you can see)

wingsHigh.jpg

Really nice, not enough Dota 2 characters wear cravats
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

If I were Valve (which I'm not :D ), and I wanted to increase courier sales, I'd allow for player loadout items to also be customizable on a per-hero basis. For example, you could have cluckles as your default courier, but you could equip snowl on your crystal maiden, kupu on venomancer etc. This could also increase the sales of wards and announcer packs, storm spirit announcer on storm, jakiro ward etc. I'd be willing to bet that players would be much more willing to buy multiple couriers if they could equip them all simultaneously instead of having all additional couriers they own "go to waste." I know some people here would think that making hero-themed couriers would be boring kindof like the hero-themed wards situation, but it should give a large boost to sales, if that's our goal.

To add onto this there could possibly also be a "Stable" of some sort (grassy camp surounded by wooden gates) in the fountain where each players courier is just sitting, idling, its extra resources but at the end of the day cosmetics are there for people to show off, having their equipped ward / courier on display in each game in the fountain (non usable / clickable characters) could also benefit sales of couriers / wards, since not everyone buys a courier / ward each game, but they would love to show off what they have.

Like someone else pointed out, a courier is essentially a complete character, the time and love deserves a little more prestige, heck there are shop keepers sitting in fountain, im sure a stable / farm section could work.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Looks like you have to submit your items in the last days so they see them, all that ones except the doom one, were submitted the last week.

We submitted the Sven sword over a month ago.
    File Size:  1.478 MB 
    Posted:     8 Apr 2013 @ 6:40pm

• toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Plant wrote: »
    To add onto this there could possibly also be a "Stable" of some sort (grassy camp surounded by wooden gates) in the fountain where each players courier is just sitting, idling, its extra resources but at the end of the day cosmetics are there for people to show off, having their equipped ward / courier on display in each game in the fountain (non usable / clickable characters) could also benefit sales of couriers / wards, since not everyone buys a courier / ward each game, but they would love to show off what they have.

Like someone else pointed out, a courier is essentially a complete character, the time and love deserves a little more prestige, heck there are shop keepers sitting in fountain, im sure a stable / farm section could work.

I think is this an awesome idea, it just takes the idea of the hero previewer on the profile page where you can show off cool items a step further. I would love to see an area like the secret shop but with more stable props as part of the player profile. I'm sure there are more environment arty people in the community who would jump at the idea of creating something like that.
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    the pennants from TI2 were supposed to decorate your fountain area as well. the patch notes said that feature was implemented but as far as i can tell it never happened.
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Looks like Chaos Knight and Bristleback was added to the importer without any mention in the patch notes. They also dont have a workshop page yet.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice catch! Fresh meat, nomnomnom ^^
  • MechBgum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys I need your help on my latest concept, I kinda like it, but I feel that wings are super wrong somehow and I couldn't make it any better.

queen_of_pain_set.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    MechBgum wrote: »
    Guys I need your help on my latest concept, I kinda like it, but I feel that wings are super wrong somehow and I couldn't make it any better.

queen_of_pain_set.jpg

I feel that this is a QOP set I can get behind, looks awesome!
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was suppose to finish this for the April contest but got caught up in courier work, finally done thought I would share!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144291106
    a54TTzt.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Plant
    Nice! Really loving the design of the helm!
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, very good indeed, the helmet look particularly gorgeous.

And your set, mr. Spudnik?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaaaalmost done.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Plant wrote: »
    Was suppose to finish this for the April contest but got caught up in courier work, finally done thought I would share!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144291106
    a54TTzt.jpg

Wicked! Love the weapon too.
    I can't help notice... :) but you covered her face! Any internal struggles when deciding to do that?
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Wicked! Love the weapon too.
    I can't help notice... :) but you covered her face! Any internal struggles when deciding to do that?

No reason apart from the mysterious assassin vibe it gives.
    KCpI27x.jpg
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Spudnik wrote: »
    We submitted the Sven sword over a month ago.
    File Size:  1.478 MB 
    Posted:     8 Apr 2013 @ 6:40pm

Oh! I really didnt go to each item and look the time, I just looked at "popular this week" when they added that items to the schema and it was there so I tought it was, Im sorry! And congrats btw :D
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Hawkseye wrote: »
    Looks like Chaos Knight and Bristleback was added to the importer without any mention in the patch notes. They also dont have a workshop page yet.

Speaking of additions to the importer, did anyone notice during testing their Phantom Assassin submissions last month that she has a;
    Capture

Under her possible animations list? Possibly a CTF style mode in the works? I have seen a few other characters with the capture animation but from memory she is the only one that had a slight animation, the others were just the idle animation.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood wrote: »

Under her possible animations list? Possibly a CTF style mode in the works? I have seen a few other characters with the capture animation but from memory she is the only one that had a slight animation, the others were just the idle animation.

Capture is the name of the portrait pose, some heros require a toned down idle animation as it would be a bit hectic in the small frame.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    I must say that discussion about couriers don't have any reasonable solution.
    There is a place in store that you can buy couriers directly, so Valve could acknowledge that if someone want courier he will buy it directly.
    On the other hand having possibility to get courier out from a chest is probably really motivating for some players.
    Personally I would buy courier directly. Thing about reverse situation. If Valve bundled your courier with some king of chance to get 1 of 10 items, would you agree to share your revenue with item creators?

Ass for the NaVi set... i don't feel it right. It doesn't have anything to do with Na'Vi, they should chose another hero so at least it would be yellow set :D Plus ingame screens would't hurt.

Konras, you are forgetting about why Helenek said about the couriers on the chests, they are not normal ones, they are unusual and can ONLY be dropped from chests.

that motivates some guys to open chests, im on that group, i just open chests trying to get an unusual prismatic drake =]

so basically im giving money to guy that made the items on chest which is correct but im not giving any money to the guys that made those couriers

but of course, valve can do whatever they want with the courier and the unusual effects we dont have any rights over it

my idea on the wyrmeleon courier of getting unusual based on the game views came from that idea, people love unusual couriers

and im really proud of my idea, even valve is using it now on the smeevil =]]]

btw, about couriers, if you want money, go do a set or an item for the chest and get out of here! we work for love =]]]
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Waaa, I did't knew it works like so. Sorry that changes my point of view on that matter a bit.
    I thought that its exactly the same courier that can be bought directly. If that so buying courier directly should have also chance that courier could be unusual but higher % than chest. Or you could get unusual version of weapon with courier, so win-win situation.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Waaa, I did't knew it works like so. Sorry that changes my point of view on that matter a bit.
    I thought that its exactly the same courier that can be bought directly. If that so buying courier directly should have also chance that courier could be unusual but higher % than chest. Or you could get unusual version of weapon with courier, so win-win situation.

i dont know how that can change the overall, but maybe one day we will have unusual weapons with custom particles effects =]
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    While I'm looking forward to custom particle effects (the resources page seems to imply that we'll get them eventually), I'm dreading it too. Yet another thing to learn!
  • Opeia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D7CF82990D76BD3CA3EB5DEE75EBC61C0E32B6DA
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=144338563&searchtext=

First workshop submission!(: This might be addicting.

Thanks to Hawt Koffee for the importing help and bringing me here(:
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Opeia wrote: »
    Wow, it's super thin. I'd increase the thickness all around.
  • dreadsnipa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dreadsnipa wrote: »
    So I have a question everybody, I made a custom hook for Pudge and I got it in the game and everything, but when I use the skill where he throws the hook,he throws his original hook while my hook stays in his hand. Anybody know how I can fix this?

So I think this question got lost, but I would like an answer :) I also have a picture to describe whats happening.

99JSYZz.jpg

As you can see, my hook is still in his hands but the original is being thrown, I'm guessing I have to make custom animations yet I don't know where to start.
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tvidotto @Brontothunder
    Outside of the dota 2 workshop, do you do mods, or free games, or free medias?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've done work on some iPhone games and other freelance projects but ever since I started getting paid to make Dota 2 items I haven't done anything else.

Why do you ask?
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bronto Since you get dota 2 stuffs in did you get more freelance offers?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • PKSpark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And is doing items for Dota 2 more worth it than having a job in the industry?
    I always though getting one or several dota 2 items in game would be a great catalyser
    to land a job in the vidya game!...
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Along with the Chaos Knight and Bristleback there's also a bunch of ninjaed in abilities!
    Jugs healing ward, treants, golem, lots of stuff!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have got a job in the vidya game! This is one :)

I'm earning enough money to live comfortably and work on my favourite game, what more could I want?
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    MechBgum wrote: »

queen_of_pain_set.jpg

If you are determined to do something with clothes, I suggest you use them on the part that has least movement. That could be some wraps around the part that connects the wings to her back or some cloth draping from sides etc. In it's current form, it would look weird with the stretches.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Along with the Chaos Knight and Bristleback there's also a bunch of ninjaed in abilities!
    Jugs healing ward, treants, golem, lots of stuff!
    Awesome!!
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!!
    That's right, finally managed to get a good look on the Alpha wolf and summons ingame and they look absolutely stunning!

Also, there will be an option to use the default animations for the abilities, such as lycan wolves, so you don't have to decompile stuff!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's right, finally managed to get a good look on the Alpha wolf and summons ingame and they look absolutely stunning!

Pics or it didn't happen :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen :D
    D9FDC9D0EFD872D3E3A61AA12442442C0A596C1B