pear polycounter lvl 8
    some progress :poly124:
    QoP_set_zpseaa26d18.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Well I was thinking of a new weapon and wanted to use a heroes that still is low on items. Although last month it was used on the unofficial contest I couldn't think of anything that time, but this morning a burned turkey came up as a Ogre Magi weapon:p

Still a rough block out, but what do you guys think of the idea?

NdY4jBv.jpg

Well, I'm partial to the food-weapon aspect for the Ogre Magi, so go for it and see what happens! :)

Keep in mind that people are very polarized on the food-weapon idea for him... or so I've noticed. People who can appreciate the humour in it, love it... others are too serious.

As far as critique, I would suggest modifying the base of the handle. Those spiky things aren't adding much imho, and they'll likely be lost in game anyway. I would make the base more bulbous and knarled (put some wood knots there?) and reuse those spike polygons elsewhere.

Cheers!

Edit: I realized after looking at it that the stick-up-the-turkey-butt while funny... may be an issue. You might consider having the turkey tied or strapped to the stick, like it's on a spit from a fire... my 2.5 cents.
  • DarthNoobious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow u guys are so damn good. I made my first item for sniper last week. (I love sniper
    but ppl say it is noob hero)
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Starmony wrote: »
    Working on an Quas Invoker and trying not to stray too far from his style.

DTsYFuk.png

UYqUSmk.png

What do you guys think? Too frilly for invoker's hard corners? :poly124:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the frilly stuff. But that is also because I think it's hard to make it look good while low poly. What color did you expect the frilly stuff should be?
  • pixelherder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelherder polycounter lvl 18
    While waiting on some anims, i thought i'd try out Sketchfab. Being able to show your model in 3d in a browser is pretty cool!

Mok - Courier (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png?v=1367848469
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Vlad
    Posted it in my thread, don't wanna spam this one with huge images ^^

@pixelherder
    dat ass

@Bronto
    he still looks quite small, I think the shoulders need to get a little bulkier and his knees need to unbend a little to not give him that weak toddler feel. I think most importantly, I think the his upper body needs to either come forward so that it seems like the weight of his upper body and arms is causing him to bend over forward OR you could go the direct opposite and over exaggerate the weight to the back so that it seems he's splitting the balance between his upper body and and arms by leaning backwards like Undying's ult:
    Dota2_UndyingFlesh01.jpg
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    @pixelherder really nice! and yeah nice shiny butt
  • tibbi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odin3D wrote: »
    Hey guys, I have a problem, suddenly all my items have disappeared from the workshop, I can only see them through my user but , with the search form , ordering by date or anything, is that normal? ever happened to you? :((

The item is the set Sacred Justice, I can only see it through this link http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=142538945

I noticed your pieces are showing up in the workshop again. Did you find out what happened?
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Uff finally made account on reddit, updated lore for my phantom assassin set, explained my motives, however I doubt that will help much :)

Here you go Spudnik :)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1drhdf/danse_macabre_a_phantom_assassin_set/
    \/\/\/\/
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Link? Can't seem to find the thread :/
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Your colors are all kind of wrong. While the colors are complement, they're muddy and bleak. The heaviest coloris on top, while it should be on the bottom. First, i'd switch from the complement colors to the triad, second of all i'd crank up the saturation a bit and made some adjustment to the hues.
    Nex up is the change to the value distribution, this will add more volume to the model. I did a quick explanation in images. I guess the problem is also in the feel thatthe cat is bald, you may want to add some noise to emulate short fur, if you don't want to sculpt it, and i think you need to bake some more maps, add more AO and push out the shapes.
    colours.jpg

amazing Vlad, thanks

im always scared of saturate too much the colors, im going for a more saturated now based on what you said

apreciated a lot your help =]
  • Starmony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I'm not a fan of the frilly stuff. But that is also because I think it's hard to make it look good while low poly. What color did you expect the frilly stuff should be?

Yeah, the frills are all a separate layer if I want to take them out. For me, I think matching the purple and yellow with a quas theme is going to be hard so I am not sure of the color palette yet.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys and gals, who made the awesome TI3 courier? Love it!
    http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/compendium/
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Paskie wrote: »
    Ok guys and gals, who made the awesome TI3 courier? Love it!
    http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/compendium/

Valve did I imagine, that's something they have been working on for quite a while, I remember people were thinking it was going to be an in game pet that follows you around.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    So that's what Svens detail mask does!
    IEu8TvQ.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Whoa, do we have self-made particle effects!?

Edit: False alarm :(
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Paskie
    Yeah, the design for these adorable buggers has been around for a while, glad they finally made it in game because they blow the Greevils out of the water.
    Blacksmith_SteamWorkshop_wallpaper_1680.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Hello everyone,
    I've nearly finished some items for Void, probably going to be posting it to the workshop this evening. Let me know what you think.

void_02.jpg

screenshot1.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone,
    I've nearly finished some items for Void, probably going to be posting it to the workshop this evening. Let me know what you think.

void_02.jpg

screenshot1.jpg

Holy smokes! I like it!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tuby.rutter
    Reminds me of a design of a vampire thing from an old game that I can't remember the name of now. It looks fantastic though, great job!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @toby.rutter right now its to much Raziel alike. I would recommend to change material texture. Plus I don't know if that's good that shoulder slot cover up his face so tightly. It works well with default head, however could be a problem with other head now or in future.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    @tuby.rutter
    Reminds me of a design of a vampire thing from an old game that I can't remember the name of now. It looks fantastic though, great job!
    Legacy of Kain series, one of the best timeloop stories out here

As for the design, yeah, i think it's directly copying Raziel and will bring more problem. Combining with the lack of face on faceless void it makes him bland.
    Also, crotchface
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Konras I completely didn't think about how the cowl would combine with other Void faces. I think what I'll do is split it into two parts, a shoulder section and a face section, because I'm not currently using the face slot on the model.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I'll definitely go back over the design and make a less obvious reference to Raziel/LoK.

Has anyone had any experience importing custom animations on weapons into the client? I've created a moving parts/metronome style animation for the mace, but I had to add some extra bones to make it and I'm not sure whether I can import it.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "lack of face on faceless void"
    :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    :)
    Jokes aside, it's a serious issue, one can go about being faceless in a bunch of ways!
    3t6oAUt.jpg
  • Black_Stormy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Stormy polycounter lvl 8
    I had an idea for a sheepskin for Lycanthrope, I wanted to have more guts but it got too busy and it's pretty much bang on the polycount. I wanted to toe the line between comical and the dota style. The good part is that when Lyc attacks it looks like the sheep is attacking too since it is rigged to lay along his shoulder and arm. First time posting work on Polycount, rip it apart.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143133112

105B5E6332B9225B5D9741CD3B740E6FA96B82C4
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had an idea for a sheepskin for Lycanthrope, I wanted to have more guts but it got too busy and it's pretty much bang on the polycount. I wanted to toe the line between comical and the dota style. The good part is that when Lyc attacks it looks like the sheep is attacking too since it is rigged to lay along his shoulder and arm. First time posting work on Polycount, rip it apart.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143133112

105B5E6332B9225B5D9741CD3B740E6FA96B82C4
    You skinned a dog!

There's a number of heroes that can have some silly items, but Lycan is sure not one of them.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    thanks for the help guys and specially Vlad =]

i increase the saturation but kept the complementary colors. i think they work better

2OEDw.jpg
    2OEP3.jpg

any more sugestions?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TVidotto
    Like Vlad said, the cat looks a bit hairless right now. The tufts of hair on his cheeks are very soft and clay-y and then the rest of the body barely has any hair suggestion at all and what's there will be lost in game. I'd suggest going much stronger there, maybe even overdoing it a little bit and see if it reads better in game. While we're on the topic, in game shots plox ^^
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »

i increase the saturation but kept the complementary colors. i think they work better

2OEDw.jpg
    2OEP3.jpg

any more sugestions?
    Highlights will overbrighten, the inner side the ear should be darker , you need more topdown gradient, the shoulder part is kinda weird. You may want to take a look at that anatomy
    Superficial-Muscles-Of-A-Cat.jpg

I also dropped a couple of strokes to show you how fur will look
    GvOTHJi.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »

2OEDw.jpg
    2OEP3.jpg

any more sugestions?

Perhaps use alpha channel on the feathers to break up the very solid silhouette of the wings?
  • Odin3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odin3D polycounter lvl 6
    tibbi wrote: »
    I noticed your pieces are showing up in the workshop again. Did you find out what happened?

I do not know, they removed parts throughout Sunday and Monday they were back. : (
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess Navi quality is still at the weaselcrow level, hah

4CC228A078F8678C9996CC1D66C02993DC8CAA22
    Click
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    I guess Navi quality is still at the weaselcrow level, hah

4CC228A078F8678C9996CC1D66C02993DC8CAA22
    Click

What's up with QoP's creeper smile? xD
  • Odin3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odin3D polycounter lvl 6
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a preview of the set, I've made some changes based on the feedback I received. Namely, breaking up the cowl so it has a separate shoulder and head slot (so there won't be any issues equiping it with other head items) and reworking the head piece so that it doesn't cover the mouth, which is a central part of the character portrait.

Void.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a preview of the set, I've made some changes based on the feedback I received. Namely, breaking up the cowl so it has a separate shoulder and head slot (so there won't be any issues equiping it with other head items) and reworking the head piece so that it doesn't cover the mouth, which is a central part of the character portrait.

Void.jpg
    Oh, now that's way better! You could've changed the shape of his head in any way too, and you don't have toworry about detailing, just the shape.
    The symbols i think are the only ones that are out of key. Dota2 uses variety of glyphs and such, but the LoK ones are too thorny and curvy for that, i think.
    Also, there's already a very similar looking weapon on the store
    Epoch.png
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Getting a big Chrono trigger vibe from that mace
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh god, i'm so in love with this portrait view
    F1595582B45AEA8C16BF0B92A484BD65D5E2F906
    upvote it!
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, now that's way better! You could've changed the shape of his head in any way too, and you don't have toworry about detailing, just the shape.
    The symbols i think are the only ones that are out of key. Dota2 uses variety of glyphs and such, but the LoK ones are too thorny and curvy for that, i think.
    Also, there's already a very similar looking weapon on the store
    Epoch.png

Yea there are definitely some similarities between my mace and the epoch, I was really hoping my make my design stand out a bit more using animation. This is what I've done so far (I'm no animator).

T5ma8F5.gif
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    upvote it!

Amazing. Baking was hard?
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea there are definitely some similarities between my mace and the epoch, I was really hoping my make my design stand out a bit more using animation. This is what I've done so far (I'm no animator).

T5ma8F5.gif
    Oh that is sweet but your best right now would be the design, because custom animations will be available to us not very soon, i suppose, because everyone is working on making stuff stable for the IT3 and i guess we shouldn't expect some major changes
    Uliss wrote: »
    Amazing. Baking was hard?
    No, why would it be?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    upvote it!

Ok, that is really awesome, that portrait view is solid! :thumbup:
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Vlad
    The lod limit is not so big. And your normal map is looking very clean even on those thin and detailed areas. What software you using, btw, is it xNormals? I just have some difficulties from time to time with the lods creating and baking, when it comes to dealing with complex non-flat objects.
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Vlad
    The lod limit is not so big. And your normal map is looking very clean even on those thin and detailed areas. What software you using, btw, is it xNormals? I just have some difficulties from time to time with the lods creating and baking, when it comes to dealing with complex non-flat objects.

The software isn't normally the biggest factor in how cleanly the normals are baked. The main factors are how much geometry you are baking to, less geometry tends to give worse results. Smoothing groups make a huge difference, soft edges give cleaner bakes. Any edge angle of around 90 or greater should be a hard edge/smoothing group split (and should also line up with a uv seam). Finally usinge a cage mesh when baking rather than an explicit normal projection will get better results.

I tend to bake my normal maps on the LOD0 model and line the uvs of the LOD1 model with the LOD0 so that I don't need to rebake the normals for the lower LOD. Zebruv plugin for maya has a really good transfer uvs tool which I've been using to get the same UVs on the lower LOD in one click.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Damn I accidently bought 2 International 2013 Interactive compendium, is there someone that needs or want one?

OK never mind allready sold it within 30 sec, what ppl will do for $0,50 :)
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished set is up on the workshop. Click here to Vote

Acolyte_Garb.jpg
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @toby.rutter

Thanks, that will help. Actually for modeling i prefer using modo, and... it has no smoothing groups technology, as far as I know. I guess it's time to switch to maya, at least for baking and texture transfering processes.
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @toby.rutter

Thanks, that will help. Actually for modeling i prefer using modo, and... it has no smoothing groups technology, as far as I know. I guess it's time to switch to maya, at least for baking and texture transfering processes.

Modo uses as smoothing group system similar to Max by the look of it. The tools are sometimes called different things but all 3D programs use some kind of smoothing group system, and the theory is pretty universal.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvVt_QI-AXc"]modo 501 smoothing groups ideal for game modeling.mov - YouTube[/ame]

I use Maya for unwrapping, rigging and a bit of low res clean up. For normal map baking I use xnormal, it's way better than Maya's transfer maps.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @toby.rutter
    Awesome :) I'll check it out. Thanks :thumbup:.