Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Helenek
    Well that sucks majorly! Thanks for putting in the effort for finding that out! I feel like even if a courier is a "special" chest drop that only has a 1% chance of dropping, then the artist should still get their share of that 1%. Granted, it's not much, but it's a hell of a lot more than 0 :S
  • Uff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uff
    I see nothing wrong here, and I kinda like the wings included with the set.
    Valve asked them to create these sets.

That's what is wrong to begin with. Because no matter how crappy their items will be, they'll get in. If you ask me, it's wrong. Valve should do such promotional stuff themselves if they're asking about it.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do couriers really make that little money?
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valve asked them to create these sets.

That's fine, but there should still be a certain level of quality they they have to abide by.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    What would be nice is if Helenek never needed to go through all that extra crap to find out that couriers get shafted. Why does Valve feel the need to play cloak and dagger with contributor financials? Just give all the info in a detailed breakdown page, can't be more than 15 mins worth of work to upload a document their payroll department has lying around somewhere.
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    What would be nice is if Helenek never needed to go through all that extra crap to find out that couriers get shafted. Why does Valve feel the need to play cloak and dagger with contributor financials? Just give all the info in a detailed breakdown page, can't be more than 15 mins worth of work to upload a document their payroll department has lying around somewhere.

Us having that info will potentially ruin the contributions, as lots of people will just go for the money, instead of doing what they do for the fun / challenge aspect of it, with a added incentive if it gets put in. Although its not a secret where the highest profit is for time spent, chests.

Sucks to hear about couriers as I just had mine get in (kupu), but it makes sense, they're expensive, support buy the couriers (with sets u pick the hero because u want to play it, with a courier if you're support you will maybe get to see it).

Not to mention the insane competition for couriers with some awesome couriers being bundled with tourney tickets, international compendium and even the free greevils everyone got (They're pretty awesome upgraded).
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    For what it's worth I emailed Valve finance a week or two ago asking if there was any possible invoice I could get and this was their response:

"I’m sorry Ben, this is not something that we do. We are working to try to get online reporting but it’s not ready yet."

Hopefully we'll have online reporting soon :)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plant wrote: »
    Us having that info will potentially ruin the contributions, as lots of people will just go for the money, instead of doing what they do for the fun / challenge aspect of it, with a added incentive if it gets put in. Although its not a secret where the highest profit is for time spent, chests.

The people that are making items for the money are already there, and will always be there, lack of information or not. The rest can go on with making art for the sake of art. And I imagine for most people it's hardly black and white, and the truth is somewhere in the middle - where one depends on any extra income they can get, where it just so happens they can get that income by making art they enjoy. More transparency will help us avoid more nasty surprises like with the couriers.
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    All this comes to light the moment I finish working on a courier? Typical. Good thing I'm one of those "making stuff for the fun of it" people (at least for now!), eh? :)

It's still kind of strange that VALVe aren't more open about this sort of thing, I see no reason why they would choose not to be.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Konras wrote: »
    It can be many things I guess. However try those:
    - skin cape to only one bone and check if that will help (maybe those 2 tris don't have proper weights)
    - apply flat uvw and check if that helped
    - check normals for those triangles, if somehow they have flipped normals they will shade black
    - check normalmap if there are values <127 on blue channel such things could happen.
    - remove are around those tris and rebuild it, it should be pretty easy to adjust UVW and geo if you removed only few triangles
    Hope one of those will help :)

Found the problem, it was just a simple UV mistake, the triangles wasn't in the scope of any texture, that's what happens when I don't pay attention to my high poly UV's. Thanks for the help. :)
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any suggestions on how I should create the fur

Teddy_Colors6.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston wrote: »
    All this comes to light the moment I finish working on a courier? Typical. Good thing I'm one of those "making stuff for the fun of it" people (at least for now!), eh? :)

Quite a similar position here, hehe ^^ But yeah, Valve has historically been incredibly cryptic or flat out silent in their communication of those kinds of things.
  • insaneklown89
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    For what it's worth I emailed Valve finance a week or two ago asking if there was any possible invoice I could get and this was their response:

"I’m sorry Ben, this is not something that we do. We are working to try to get online reporting but it’s not ready yet."

Hopefully we'll have online reporting soon :)

You gotta be persistent with it, it took five or six weeks of pestering emails before I finally got a response, now I get monthly breakdowns of every item. The more I involve myself with valve, the less I want to actually involve myself. Which sucks because I love valve, Ive been using steam since it began. But it is very difficult to work with these people.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »
    What I see as wrong is that if you or I had made that set on our own, it wouldn't get in (and it would be right not to) but because it has the Navi label slapped on it, it'll get in :/

Like the Na'Vi courier, the animations are rubbish. Thats what happens when your given eight hours to do eight animations. Whats worst is valve being quite for six months then just throwing it into the game, you'd think they'd come back to us and say clean it up. But thats Valve for you. Now I have to live with it, oh well, haha.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think about reverse situation. If Valve bundled your courier with some king of chance to get 1 of 10 items, would you agree to share your revenue with item creators./QUOTE]

Simply put, yes. If an artist work is being used that artist should receive some sort of compensation.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Andrew
    If that is the case, can't you update animations and send file to Valve and say "hey, made better animations, they are super cool, please check theme out and maybe replace if that is possible". Or just ask if that's possible. I can imagine that knowing there is something in game that you could done better, and what you are not proud of must be depressing. They can think that you don't have time/will to update animations and thus they did't ask.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andrew
    If that is the case, can't you update animations and send file to Valve and say "hey, made better animations, they are super cool, please check theme out and maybe replace if that is possible". Or just ask if that's possible. I can imagine that knowing there is something in game that you could done better, and what you are not proud of must be depressing. They can think that you don't have time/will to update animations and thus they did't ask.

The courier was such a mesh when we did it, we were only given 24 hours to complete it in order to have them showcased during the international. This is something Ive recently been looking into. Although time is a bit of a luxury for me now. :(
  • Drywall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I thought there might be a problem with the courier payout, that's kinda sad. I had been wanting to make a courier with an animator friend of mine, but keep getting sidetracked by sets. Couriers look so much harder to do, what with the rigging and animations, than a single item. Sorry to hear that doesn't work out financially...

As far as Na'vi bribing people to vote for their set, it doesn't really matter. They're in a position where they can do that, so they did. I don't like it, that's for sure, but it's no different than Cyborgmatt putting his name on a courier (even if I did like that courier a lot). This is just the evolution of people in positions of power within the community sponsoring an item for exposure. I expect to see more of this.

I do wish the QoP set looked textured instead of flat filled with a lot of procedural generated materials in 3ds max.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I wouldn't mind so much if i found out that Valve required them to make it up to par before it gets into the game. I don't really care if visible figures in the community endorse one item or another - so long as that doesn't mean it gets into the game regardless of quality. We'll have to wait and see what happens i think - because the simple fact is that if that set just went into the workshop as is without any endorsement it would sink to the bottom like a rock.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the Na'Vi courier, the animations are rubbish. Thats what happens when your given eight hours to do eight animations. Whats worst is valve being quite for six months then just throwing it into the game, you'd think they'd come back to us and say clean it up. But thats Valve for you. Now I have to live with it, oh well, haha.
    That's really the biggest problem I have with the workshop as it is right now, the complete lack of communication. Don't get me wrong, I love the workshop but sometimes it feels like playing the lottery :/
    Simply put, yes. If an artist work is being used that artist should receive some sort of compensation.
    100% agree.
    reverendK wrote: »
    I don't really care if visible figures in the community endorse one item or another - so long as that doesn't mean it gets into the game regardless of quality.

This is what it all boils down to.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    That's really the biggest problem I have with the workshop as it is right now, the complete lack of communication. Don't get me wrong, I love the workshop but sometimes it feels like playing the lottery :/

Yes, pretty much it. The difference is that you spend much more time doing an item/set than just filling random numbers in a paper =P
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i wonder if valve reads these threads :p
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik wrote: »

Unless you're one of the few to get special treatment like Anuxi. This isn't a jab at her but rather the fact that precisely the people who need feedback the least (look at all her great stuff, she's a pro, and can certainly make consistent quality!) seem to get it from Valve.

And reverend, I'm sure they do. That Rubick head slot wasn't added by accident. Though trying to figure out Valve's notoriously-inscrutable decision-making process is a whole other ordeal.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Well, communication would be good for us, but I really think that if they start to give feedback to everyone they won't do anything else.

Though, it would be good if they added a 'rejected' label to items they won't add at once, so you can move on or redo your item.
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I've been away for the last couple of days and I'm really glad people are angry with Valve's direction of sales and shares (lol). I said a few words about how working on chest items are more lucrative but some said the important part is to follow your heart and do what you like etc. I'm pretty sure the trend on the single items, sets and couriers will give Valve a clue on how to treat workshop contributions in the near future.

If you want to earn money the easy way, make a single weapon that gets into a treasure chest. Even if it sucks and becomes a common, you'll get the same amount of money with the mythical item next to it.

I did earn a lot from the Juggernaut set I made (nobody talks about paychecks so I also won't, don't want to break a taboo), even though I only got the first 4 days payment yet. I guess it's up to the popularity of the hero and the success of the set combined. I can't imagine how much that Rubick set earned it's creator. o_O

Lastly, don't waste your time on couriers if you care about how much you earn. Added to the issue of free unusuals, there is only 1 courier slot and most people don't even want to buy a courier in the game. Go and make mounts if you want to work on really big and moving stuff, you'll earn more, 100% guaranteed.

These are my observations and in no way based on actual research or numbers. Feel free to add your two cents.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    Unless you're one of the few to get special treatment like Anuxi. This isn't a jab at her but rather the fact that precisely the people who need feedback the least (look at all her great stuff, she's a pro, and can certainly make consistent quality!) seem to get it from Valve.

And reverend, I'm sure they do. That Rubick head slot wasn't added by accident. Though trying to figure out Valve's notoriously-inscrutable decision-making process is a whole other ordeal.

Valve's blatant lack of communication is one factor that makes it very difficult for me to continue working within the workshop. Here are two examples, when valve was releasing the chicken courier I found out when they were planning it through cyborgmatt, a week before they released it, then when that day came and nothing was released my steam account and email were exploding with comments asking for a release date, I instantly emailed Valve asking what happened so I can inform people of the situation. After two days of no response I made a public post on reddit addressing it where 'finally' someone from valve commented on my reddit post. This is not good communication. My other item that gets at least 5-10 messages a day about is Mandel Farflung, Keenfolk Warden People asking when can I buy it, and the likes, I know its a very bold ward that goes against the grain of what a ward should look like, long story short, I would much prefer Valve telling me it strays to far from the design the item as it is would never be implemented so I can just hide the item and not be bothered with these emails asking where it is. The lack of communication makes me feel like dirt sometime. And the fact that 75% of the earnings of my items goes to valve, the least they can do is communicate something, even if it is just a simple sentence.

marul wrote: »
    I've been away for the last couple of days and I'm really glad people are angry with Valve's direction of sales and shares (lol). I said a few words about how working on chest items are more lucrative but some said the important part is to follow your heart and do what you like etc. I'm pretty sure the trend on the single items, sets and couriers will give Valve a clue on how to treat workshop contributions in the near future. If you want to earn money the easy way, make a single weapon that gets into a treasure chest. Even if it sucks and becomes a common, you'll get the same amount of money with the mythical item next to it.

Thats pretty much how it works now, you work on single items throughout the month, when they announce the new crate you upload all the single items and hope that at least one of them gets in. Or, you work on a weekly set and release it tuesday. Doing something like that means you'll be fresh on people's minds. What bothers me is now it seems the only items that can implemented into the game have only been on the workshop for a week or a week and a half. What happened to all of the older sets posted months ago that looked incredible.
    marul wrote: »
    I guess it's up to the popularity of the hero and the success of the set combined. I can't imagine how much that Rubick set earned it's creator. o_O

And the amount of other sets in the game, the price of the set compared to other sets, popularity is a huge factor seeing that more people who play the hero means more potential buyers for sets for the character. Also your own popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there that buy items because they support the artist.
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the amount of other sets in the game, the price of the set compared to other sets, popularity is a huge factor seeing that more people who play the hero means more potential buyers for sets for the character. Also your own popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there that buy items because they support the artist.

Based off what I've seen in other communities, the only artist that gets that name brand treatment is Anuxi at the moment. I think we're all striving to hopefully get that type of recognition at some point, just got to keep it up.

When I was really into TF2 was in full swing I'd keep a track of everything Rob Laro was doing, really great stuff.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    Update on my QoP set! i really like it.:)
    qop_wip_zpsa52153b1.jpg
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    I agree the workshop overall is not being handled very well by Valve at the moment, but the game is pretty much still in beta, and they have made some changes to the workshop the last couple of months.

When the game is released and they're not so busy anymore, maybe they will start communicating and adding more items every week.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    How do you like it to be handled? You do realise that there's a really small resource dedicated to the workshop and the detailed feedback is a long and time consuming process that will only lead to the futureexpectations of the critique and feeling that the item was good enough, just Valve was too lazy to comment. People have stuff to do, lines to code, assets to model and game to polish. Especially considering the amount of features they want to bring in, they have to make stable before the TI3, etc.
    Leave you feedback on the workshop and it'll reach the ears of the Devs and they'll try to fix the stuff that's broken.

Also, there's a new thing added:
    Add service providers to share in royalties
    You can allocate a portion of Valve's split of the sales revenue with pre-approved third party organizations or individuals that have helped you create this item. You'll be asked to pick from a list of organizations and individuals, and then determine how you wish to split up this revenue between them.
    For those who thought that Valve is greedy, they're now allowing you to give out the part of their revenue to the third-party organizations or individuals for their help or insight. The list is broken now, but i guess it'll start working soon.
  • Hawkseye
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    I just think maybe that small resource should be a little bit bigger seeing as how Valve are making huge amounts of money off the workshop and its getting big enough for whole communities to form around it.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you like it to be handled? You do realise that there's a really small resource dedicated to the workshop and the detailed feedback is a long and time consuming process that will only lead to the futureexpectations of the critique and feeling that the item was good enough, just Valve was too lazy to comment. People have stuff to do, lines to code, assets to model and game to polish. Especially considering the amount of features they want to bring in, they have to make stable before the TI3, etc.
    Leave you feedback on the workshop and it'll reach the ears of the Devs and they'll try to fix the stuff that's broken.

Also, there's a new thing added:

For those who thought that Valve is greedy, they're now allowing you to give out the part of their revenue to the third-party organizations or individuals for their help or insight. The list is broken now, but i guess it'll start working soon.

How new is that?, I didn't even know that existed until today. I am very happy with that addition, it's been a long time coming.

"small resource dedicated to the workshop" is an excuse, and not a very good one. Considering the workshop drives the majority of the games sales and earnings, you would think valve would treat it with more respect. With the way they have the tools setup now Valve doesn't even have to intervene, all the way down the marketing image.

What I would like to see, putting it bluntly again, why doesn't valve outsource even more responsibility to workshop creators, they have people they obviously picked as the 'head' or 'elite' workshop artist. Someone like Anuxi hits the mark every time and I'm sure if you gave her the responsibility to choose which sets should be implemented she can probably good a pretty good job at it. Let the workshop 'elite' decide what gets in, let the workshop artist critique people. We already do enough of that over on these forums, so I see can see a natural transition into something like that.

Of course its a wild idea, but in my opinion it's better than having total slience with the really 'asreholish' excuse of "we have better things to do"
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    At the end of the day this is a privelige and not a right, I'm just be happy this amazing opportunity exists at all and there's too many positive things about it to worry about the few negatives.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Ninja'd and agreed with Bronto.

We have already a ton of submissions every day, and the tendency is that number to grow, with a lot of subpar entries too - do Valve really should give feedback to all of them?

As I wrote before, they could simply label the submission as 'rejected' when so, just that would help a lot, so you won't count on it anymore.

But even as it is, I won't deem their treatment with the Workshop 'disrespectful', there's a lot of things to improve, of course, but hey, it's a new ground for everyone, including for them.

You guys must get over that, the Workshop isn't a job where your stuff is guaranteed, and there's no place for egalitarian treatment for everyone, plus, nobody is forcing anyone to make items for the Workshop.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Rubus wrote: »

As I wrote before, they could simply label the submission as 'rejected' when so, just that would help a lot, so you won't count on it anymore.
    Yeah, also agree with Bronto and Vlad.
    I noticed it recently, but they already have a tag for incompatible items =)
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=570&browsesort=trend&requiredflags%5B%5D=incompatible
    2QdLu.png
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incompatible is for items that are blatantly violating the artstyle and gets used very infrequently.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to get too into this debate at the moment, but I agree with AndrewHelenek.

Where is this months chest BTW?
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New chest is out. Seems to only have 5 items in it this time.
  • Chaemirix
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Looks like you have to submit your items in the last days so they see them, all that ones except the doom one, were submitted the last week.

Congrats to the ones who get things in :D:D
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like only one set approval for this week. Devs must be hammered with prepping for the International.
  • Prophet9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Looks like you have to submit your items in the last days so they see them, all that ones except the doom one, were submitted the last week.

It's a "Valvgorithm"... nobody can predict it.
    :poly121:
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio wrote: »

Congrats to the ones who get things in :D:D

Just wait until after they announce the chest, then post all the single items!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    I've nominated Child's Play to be recognized as a third party
  • hellmasterx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, i need suggestions and some question about this item set im making:
    1. what colors should i use?
    2. anyone using xnormal, what maps should i use for texturing?
    3. any good texturing dota 2 style can you guys recommend me?
    4. also any criticisms or help is welcome

NJugDeH.jpg
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    Just wait until after they announce the chest, then post all the single items!

I have some items that are submited more than a month ago, and some 2-3 weeks ago, I uploaded them as they are finished, didnt want to take any estrategy and such, but I guess thats what I have to do now to get better chances.

Would be cool like someone said in this thread to get a "Rejected" if they see it and dont like / dont think fits ingame, because I have an item that gets 5 minimum comments everyday and the items is there for like month and a half or more, and another one with 98% likes in almost 60k visits, and I still have the hope that they gonna be added someday, but losing it everyday tho, so a "Rejected" thing would be amazing xD
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    We should nominate Polycount as third party! Wonder if thats posible though...
  • Black_Stormy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Stormy polycounter lvl 8
    Rubus wrote: »
    it would be good if they added a 'rejected' label to items they won't add at once, so you can move on or redo your item.

I second this, I think it would be nice to know that they have at least looked at your item. At the moment there's no way to know if it's been considered or not. It's not necessary but it would be nice to know you have had some sort of interaction with Vulva. I mean Valve.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    When I read this:
    third party organizations or individuals that have helped you create this item.

I tought it was for polycount and such websites only