Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Legality and morality are two very different things.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    @Andrew: I'm not trying to be rude here and what I did now is clearly wrong, but that's my point:
    2T51o.jpg

I know you recognize this background, but I think edited enough, so legally I did nothing wrong...right?
    As Bronto said, morality and legality are two very different things, and I don't know why you are so sure that it isn't illegal.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Last time I consulted one of my art teachers about this, the rule of thumb is that if a copyrighted work is edited enough not to be recognizable, it's okay to use. Now what's 'recognizable' may be different for those of us frequenting art communities, so the assumption is that the general public wouldn't recognize it.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Well, since legality is a very complicated thing to discuss about, I'd just remove that bg.
    A good work doesn't worth to be put in risk for something like this.

If this is creating a discussion here, let's just imagine...what if the set gets approved? Will the owner of that artwork receive his part on the revenue?

Does it really worth the risk...for Valve?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Well I remember being taught in high school that an 80% change to an art piece isnt considered copyright ( i think that might only apply to australia though)

So that's why you can have parody art which obviously takes something like monolisa and change it up to give a different perspective.
    But I'm sure I have seen that exact same BG image (not the blue ice one) somewhere on deviant art that is all. Who knows, maybe mihal did it and put it on deviant art :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Well I remember being taught in high school that an 80% change to an art piece isnt considered copyright ( i think that might only apply to australia though)

So that's why you can have parody art which obviously takes something like monolisa and change it up to give a different perspective.
    But I'm sure I have seen that exact same BG image (not the blue ice one) somewhere on deviant art that is all. Who knows, maybe mihal did it and put it on deviant art :)

Now thats different, if someone else made that edited piece then thats a whole other story! I've heard that percent thing as well, but I heard 20%, and to be honest, I wouldn't really trust it considering its not mentioned anywhere to my knowledge. Hopefully we can get some clarification from Mihal when he responds.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah I was taught the same thing (although I remember it being less than 80%, not sure). The problem is that it's such a subjective scale it's hard to measure percentages for this kind of thing - can you just crop 20% of an artwork and consider it your own?

As a general rule of thumb I just use all of my own work - that way you never have to worry about anything like this.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    YUp agreed. Its a bit more time consuming taking your own pictures and shit but its worth the peace of mind :)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    vikk0 wrote: »
    Well, since legality is a very complicated thing to discuss about, I'd just remove that bg.
    A good work doesn't worth to be put in risk for something like this.

If this is creating a discussion here, let's just imagine...what if the set gets approved? Will the owner of that artwork receive his part on the revenue?

Does it really worth the risk...for Valve?
    Why would you think that they'll take that image at all? That's promo imgae for his collection, i think you can dig up some fair-non-commercial use rule about it. If you're that concerned about it, just leave a developers comment saying that if they're going to use the image, it's not yours and they should replace it.

Here, have a promo pic i quickly did from your image. Your masking skills suck, there's blue stuff left everywhere ;)
    Ab1NZ2J.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Kraken wrote: »
    Awesome work guys!
    Here is my texture for clinkz:
    0NyMeHh.jpg

Ouch! that is amazing =] great work!

---

guys, i would like some feedback on this wip video

an suggestions on how to improve it? its a courier im reworking

the extreme closeup in the end is just to have some fade to the end texts =]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOyi5JNo3e8"]elgato_04 - YouTube[/ame]

thanks
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »

---

thanks
    15 seconds of nothing.
    Plane drafts on the owl wings.
    The scenario is basically someone sacrificing the courier to the Roshan. bg ff plz
    Kawaii stare at the camera at the end. It worked in shrek, but the courier is not so rich on the emotions.
    I still think that the cat is too bright, but that could be colour correction.
  • Black_Stormy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Stormy polycounter lvl 8
    Is it bad that I wanted to see Roshan swat that cat out of the air like a fly? I think it's a little extreme the courier going after the big fella, but it's a well pieced together video nonetheless.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Vidotto

I thought you would make the bird catch the cat and make the last scene with them as a flying courier flying over Rosh and delivering the items somehow, would make more sense.

Anyway, I like the camera takes and the pace of the video, just a bit more polish and a better resolution to the Roshan scene and it will be fine. =)
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why would you think that they'll take that image at all? That's promo imgae for his collection, i think you can dig up some fair-non-commercial use rule about it. If you're that concerned about it, just leave a developers comment saying that if they're going to use the image, it's not yours and they should replace it.

Here, have a promo pic i quickly did from your image. Your masking skills suck, there's blue stuff left everywhere ;)
    Ab1NZ2J.jpg

Overexposed.
    BG is now in a deep mix with the character.
    Low contrast.
    ...awesome set )
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Glad you like the set guys ; Indeed I used part of that ilustration (composed with several other pictures ) ; Its definetly not over 80% alterated and I understand the issues that it brings with , , so I will remake the background . And will work on the icons allso .

Thank you for the feedback:)
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Rubus wrote: »
    @Vidotto

I thought you would make the bird catch the cat and make the last scene with them as a flying courier flying over Rosh and delivering the items somehow, would make more sense.

Anyway, I like the camera takes and the pace of the video, just a bit more polish and a better resolution to the Roshan scene and it will be fine. =)

Yeah, I actually expected the cat to jump over Rosh in order to make his delivery, it doesn't really make much sense to have the courier fight him! Great video otherwise, though!
  • toby.rutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Hi all, I've been getting a lot of feedback from the workshop about the colour contrast between the green armour and the maroon reds of the cloth sections. I initially picked these colours because they were complements, and then added the brighter green for the emissives, and because yellow green works as a split complementary harmony to the initial maroon colour. Because changing the colours is a simple adjustment I was wondering what peoples opinions were. Do you that the colours are too clashing?

Acolyte_Garb.jpg
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    Yep. The head and calf are detached from the rest, better roll back.

Also, I don't know if it's a good idea to take Workshop advices too seriously.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I don't know if it's a good idea to take Workshop advices too seriously.

True. I think that people making a lot of suggestions there. But if all those suggestions are related to a similar acpect it's a good motive to may be realy change something.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uliss wrote: »
    Overexposed.
    BG is now in a deep mix with the character.
    Low contrast.
    ...awesome set )
    Son, do you even high key?
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    collectionpage_by_vert1cal-d658niz.png

My Rubick Set is finally finished, collection page splash screen is here. Making a collection page now. :D
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »

My Rubick Set is finally finished, collection page splash screen is here. Making a collection page now. :D
    Is that a banana on top of his staff?
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that a banana on top of his staff?

Keen eye, sir! But, no, it's a derived version of the Pipe of Insight. :)
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done!

collectionpage_by_vert1cal-d658niz.png

Collection page is here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=145036810

Please feel free to vote up if you like it, thanks!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    15 seconds of nothing.
    Plane drafts on the owl wings.
    The scenario is basically someone sacrificing the courier to the Roshan. bg ff plz
    Kawaii stare at the camera at the end. It worked in shrek, but the courier is not so rich on the emotions.
    I still think that the cat is too bright, but that could be colour correction.

ty Vlad! going to check the texture to make it less bright

everyone kills couriers, my not on a epic way =]
    Is it bad that I wanted to see Roshan swat that cat out of the air like a fly? I think it's a little extreme the courier going after the big fella, but it's a well pieced together video nonetheless.

hahah i want that too =]
    @Vidotto

ty! i will check the cameras focal planes, i think that scene is just on roshan and not on the courier. going to change that
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Vidotto:

By resolution I meant how the scene would be resolved, that is, what will happen after the cat jumps towards Roshan, I wasn't referring to the quality of the image ;)
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »

an suggestions on how to improve it? its a courier im reworking

the extreme closeup in the end is just to have some fade to the end texts =]

elgato_04 - YouTube

thanks

I think that it's cool, but the fact that you imply that he's fighting Roshan doesn't make much sense..I'd think it would confuse people more than anything. Also what Vlad said about the beginning, 15 seconds is too long.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ab1NZ2J.jpg

I can say the same about your ani... oh Id rather not...

This new promo image you made, while put together nicely, is unimaginative, boring, and over saturated. I'd like to see his image with your polish. Why are you so aggressive today? Also, when are you going to unblock me from steam?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, I've been getting a lot of feedback from the workshop about the colour contrast between the green armour and the maroon reds of the cloth sections. I initially picked these colours because they were complements, and then added the brighter green for the emissives, and because yellow green works as a split complementary harmony to the initial maroon colour. Because changing the colours is a simple adjustment I was wondering what peoples opinions were. Do you that the colours are too clashing?

Acolyte_Garb.jpg

In my opinion, I feel like Im looking at two different sets. I also think the cloth garb works better, although both look pretty solid overall. The only thing I'm unsure about is the weapon, it looks way to frail to be a mace for void.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In my opinion, I feel like Im looking at two different sets.

I'm getting that notion too, but it's a great set non-the-less.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made a resubmission on the first item i submitted to the workshop, since CK up for grabs now.

637x358.resizedimage
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you so aggressive today?
    Wat? There's literally pieces of the original background (the "green screen" he used for rendering) left between the wings, the aggression is only in your imagination
    Also, when are you going to unblock me from steam?
    Why would i do that?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wat? There's literally pieces of the original background (the "green screen" he used for rendering) left between the wings, the aggression is only in your imagination

Why would i do that?

The better question is why would you block me? Last I checked we're all friends here, except one.
  • Insaneophobia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Well, for one thing it could be because you say stuff like "we're all friends here, except one." Even though this really has absolutely nothing to do with me.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The better question is why would you block me? Last I checked we're all friends here, except one.
    This exact attitude is the reason enough. Why would i want you going around and trying to drop some sick burns on me for whatever reason?

That's a bit "unprofessional" don't you think? Unlike the rest of the good polycounters who don't provoke heating up the discussion and talk about the stuff we're all here you don't seems to hesitate in bringing your thoughts about the matters you're not really "in".

I do not approve hypocrisy and find your attitude disgusting, it would've been kinda okayish from someone who's doing some really amazing stuff, but coming from you it only adds the grotesque.

Note the attitude coming from everyone else, people are happy to hear opinions even if they're not what they want to hear and provide guidelines for those who want it. There's prevailing "professional" attitude, until you barge in and, as [FONT=&quot]Insaneophobia[/FONT] pointed out
    say stuff like "we're all friends here, except one."
    Which kind of contradicts the advice you gave out some page about (it's a sentence or two above calling me scummy in a matter you didn't bothered to research too).

You can question my critique style, debate the advices i give(which i've yet to see) or just tl;dr over the stuff i write but please refrain from trying to be passive-scoffing, it makes you look shallow and "unprofessional".

For those of you who made it this far, have this delicious Han Solo!

I think that about sums it up, does that answers your question? That's a rhetorical question, don't bother to answer because i think i'll try that "ignore list" function all forums provide and save myself, and everyone around, from blowing up this useless argument. Cheers!
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This exact attitude is the reason enough. Why would i want you going around and trying to drop some sick burns on me for whatever reason?

That's a bit "unprofessional" don't you think? Unlike the rest of the good polycounters who don't provoke heating up the discussion and talk about the stuff we're all here you don't seems to hesitate in bringing your thoughts about the matters you're not really "in".

I do not approve hypocrisy and find your attitude disgusting, it would've been kinda okayish from someone who's doing some really amazing stuff, but coming from you it only adds the grotesque.

Note the attitude coming from everyone else, people are happy to hear opinions even if they're not what they want to hear and provide guidelines for those who want it. There's prevailing "professional" attitude, until you barge in and, as [FONT=&quot]Insaneophobia[/FONT] pointed out

Which kind of contradicts the advice you gave out some page about (it's a sentence or two above calling me scummy in a matter you didn't bothered to research too).

You can question my critique style, debate the advices i give(which i've yet to see) or just tl;dr over the stuff i write but please refrain from trying to be passive-scoffing, it makes you look shallow and "unprofessional".

For those of you who made it this far, have this delicious Han Solo!

I think that about sums it up, does that answers your question? That's a rhetorical question, don't bother to answer because i think i'll try that "ignore list" function all forums provide and save myself, and everyone around, from blowing up this useless argument. Cheers!
    |

I don't want to go any further with this since these types of arguments are pointless. But your sheer lack of respect toward anyone is astonishing. Call the way I talk unprofessional, but if someone gives an honest critique I won't turn around and call their opinions 'dumb' or lower their intelligence by calling them stupid. Going around and taking concept from someone, creating it, and uploading it to the workshop without getting any permissions is probably one of, if not the lowest things someone can do. Especially when it's clear it was jab at the person you targeted. Like I said, call me unprofessional all you want, but coming from you, your opinion is instantly invalidated based off your past history. I have nothing else to say to you, you're impossible to talk to and you treat everyone as if they're beneath you. You're a real piece of work.

I apologize to the rest of polycount for such a silly argument, but there is only so much I can take from someone like Vlad. I'll talk to Vidotto and see if he can delete these posts.*shrug*
  • AndrewHelenek
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    vlad_the_implyer : yea I didnt noticed the green pixels.
    Tnx for the pic , I was going to remake the background just to be safe anyway :)

here is the new pic + new icons which imo looks nicer indeed.

workshop link : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198026621056/myworkshopfiles/?appid=570

tnx for the feedback guys .
    cheers

CE0B74507A540A9F4C70DDB0F17DAF60B81D2FE3
    2B09659FA421751C95ACDAAB969919CB4EA2C259
    7F501F4C05ABEBB5097DAC2101F288A42B858BAA
    2F77FED8B3107586A3978F2D75E5CA49A82BD57D
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Has someone posted the LoDs/Texture requirements for CK yet?
    I remember seeing the higher ones a long time ago on Cyborgmatt's blog, but didn't see the lower.
  • penOr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penOr polycounter lvl 7
    Looks a lot better mihalceanu, my only suggestion would be adding a border but that's definitely not necessary =)
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh boy, a letter from Steam Support, let's see what's in there!
    Thank you for your Steam Workshop Contribution Bottom Watcher.
    Unfortunately, for various reasons, the developers of "Dota 2" had to flag it as "incompatible", so it cannot be used within "Dota 2".
    Great Scott!
    mihalceanu wrote: »
    7F501F4C05ABEBB5097DAC2101F288A42B858BAA
    there's some (sticky) white stuff at the bottom of the staff from the background. May i ask you how you're cutting out the models?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just recorded a little interview with Brad Shoemaker of GiantBomb :)
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat! When do we get to hear this?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He said this week if not early next week - it will be a part of their Interview Drumptruck series.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He said this week if not early next week - it will be a part of their Interview Drumptruck series.

famous Bronto! =]
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    cool, love the guys at giant bomb, they gave our game a nice article. Looking for ward to your interview.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah man, those warbanners are really nice =]

btw, who is igddota? this is official or just a suggestion he made?
    @Vidotto:

By resolution I meant how the scene would be resolved, that is, what will happen after the cat jumps towards Roshan, I wasn't referring to the quality of the image ;)
    Oroboros wrote: »
    I think that it's cool, but the fact that you imply that he's fighting Roshan doesn't make much sense..I'd think it would confuse people more than anything. Also what Vlad said about the beginning, 15 seconds is too long.

ah, im trying to make something like an movie trailer, you have some texts on the begging and an slow pace to set the mood and contrast with what is going to follow

then some really crazy things happening and an end that let you thinking about the conclusion

makes sense? its more like a trailer then a short movie
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Just recorded a little interview with Brad Shoemaker of GiantBomb :)

Wow, I'm jealous. I follow their stuff nearly religiously. I'll tune in. :)
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @Vlad
    O.o Isn't that ward in the game ?!

@Bronto
    Nice, be sure to drop a link here when it ships!

@Hawt
    Cool design, I feel like the edge wear&tear is a bit too much in the middle of the helmet but otherwise it's lookin fiiiine