Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    frell wrote: »
    Really? To me it seemed like I was walking around looking for a linear quest to follow, and then having markers put everywhere on my screen because obviously im an idiot or something. If markers and non-event changing dialogue isnt linear then I don't know what is. Not to mention 80-90% of the game taking place in dungeons which are extremely linear. Oh and the mountains that force you to take the same path and see the exact same stuff when you're going somewhere.

Oblivion had a lot of that, to the east, west, and north; fallout, I don't know, I never liked that one. But, I do see what you mean. But at the same time, drop me in the tundra, and in real life, I'll have the same limitations. The "linearity" that you're describing isn't truly linearity; it's an open world, with mountains, and you're limited in the paths you can go, just like in real life.
    Is real life linear? And, even if Skyrim were linear, why is that such a bad thing? I do agree about the dungeons, but at least there is more variety than there was in Oblivion. It's an improvement, no doubt, And the markers, too- Oblivion did that, it just limited how many were displayed, to not confuse you. Skyrim waived that, and lets you choose. Or, did you mean the markers showing places on the map permanently? Like the cave symbol, and the ruin symbol? Because those are in Fallout, Oblivion, et cetera.
    And, again, a lot of it is up to the player. I've spent very little time in dungeons, out of my 100 hours or so of playing. Maybe 15% of that was in dungeons. I prefer the open range.

And, again, in real life, go to a mountain range, and walk straight. Now do it again. You'll probably end up in the same place. it's just how mountains work, and I don't think it is a drawback.
    I do see all of your points, and agree to some extent, but Skyrim is certainly not linear when compared to any other game I've played. Of course aspects of it are, but that's a necessary evil of video-games. The resources don't exist to make it truly open-world and non-linear.

Bla bla
    tl;dr
    Sure, it has linear aspects, but, it's a video game in a mountainous landscape, and it holds true to the reality of mountain-exploring. I think it's nice.
    But, remember, life is what you make it. In Skyrim, or in real life.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ugh, I swear, all of you guys complaining about Skyrim are a bunch of emo's. FO3 and Oblivion where exactly the same game, only one had guns and the post-apo setting, plus FO3 was really depressing. Stealing babies? Lost parenthood? Innuendo of rape? Ambiguous siding of alliances? Anti-Climatic plot endings? Coming of age and being cast out of your group? All check and some more.

New Vegas on the other hand was a real spark of fresh air compared to what FO3 was, seriously, depressing start, but your where fighting Strippers, Brain dogs, and rescuing nuclear science ghouls in spaceships, how cool is that?

Skyrim is the same as Oblivion, it's not depressing unless required, and doesn't have guns. I'm pretty sure all of you pillocks are going to sing high praises of FO4 once it comes out and how much better it is than Skyrim because...you know, it's depressing, brown and has guns.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, not sure where the "linear" comments come from. You can choose where, you can choose when, and in some cases you can choose sides, or make choices that impact the game. I don't get where the problem lies. That once you start a quest it's a linear progression? At this stage creating fully branching questlines would be a nightmare and lead to "OMG Skyrim is buggy" flaming, so this is the best you'll get, and it's quite good.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    To me the "open world" is just a lobby while you wait to start a new campaign line. I haven't seen any big molding going in in skyrim, no little decisions lock and unlock content for a unique experience.

As to the fallout beig depressing, that's why I loved it. You don't get feelings like that from games nowadays.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    frell wrote: »
    I haven't seen any big molding going in in skyrim, no little decisions lock and unlock content for a unique experience.

Have you talked to friends who also play skyrim? I guarantee they will not have had all the same experiences. My mate was telling me how he found a book in a library with a clue in it and followed it into some big fun quest, Ive never seen this book or this quest and thats just one tiny tiny example. I dont know how much bigger the molding could be without destroying the feel of the world or the main quest.

I hate being depressed by a game, FO3 was terrible in that respect. I guess its a lot to do with expectations, mine were for a fun game with no depression involved.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I loved the depression of FO3.. it really made up a big part of the immersion for me but saying that I loved new vegas too..

Skyrim linear.. ? no I dont think so not even close.. it can be played in a linear fashion.. but thats down to your play style..
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    I hate being depressed by a game, FO3 was terrible in that respect. I guess its a lot to do with expectations, mine were for a fun game with no depression involved.

Same feeling here, I was giddy all the way through FO3, especially with the radio playing all these ironically happy songs and the sun shining.

Skyrim plays more on the epic feeling of being awesome even when you're in the most hostile environments in tamriel.

I think what attributes to people thinking it might be linear is that they've made dungeon-exits, while previously you'd go down in a dungeon and then dig your way out again, but in skyrim there's a clear progression of intro, middle, and ending part with sometimes a boss and reward, and then a quick way out.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    eld wrote: »
    Same feeling here, I was giddy all the way through FO3, especially with the radio playing all these ironically happy songs and the sun shining.

are you really agreeing? or was that sarcasm or something? sorry perhaps "terrible" was a bad choice of words. FO3 was just a bad experience for me. Other people may have wanted it to be dark and sad in theme and dull in colour. I was hoping that I would be a hero and save the world and make it all green and lush again, thats what I thought the storyline would be like, I was proven wrong and my expectations were not met. So yeah its a lot to do with personal expectation and I never played the original fallouts so I had wierd expectations.

So are we gonna do a polycount skyrim mod? :D
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Have you talked to friends who also play skyrim? I guarantee they will not have had all the same experiences.

This. This a million times. My friend came over and we played side by side on our own characters for the first 2 days after release. Within the first 10 mins of the game, we had gone two completely different paths, and we discovering things the other person hadn't. It was tremendous fun. A linear game would mean that two people would always take the exact same path, fight the exact same monsters/aniles/etc.

In Skyrim? This just isn't the case. It's so open, and nobody plays the same way twice. I remember spending the first 30 hours just wandering around, exploring dungeons. I didn't do a single quest.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Prophecies wrote: »
    This. This a million times. My friend came over and we played side by side on our own characters for the first 2 days after release. Within the first 10 mins of the game, we had gone two completely different paths, and we discovering things the other person hadn't. It was tremendous fun. A linear game would mean that two people would always take the exact same path, fight the exact same monsters/aniles/etc.

In Skyrim? This just isn't the case. It's so open, and nobody plays the same way twice. I remember spending the first 30 hours just wandering around, exploring dungeons. I didn't do a single quest.

I have to agree. Talking to friends here at work there were areas that they had no idea about. Them having explored most of the main quest, but i went and did my own side quests and exploring and getting to know the cities around. I guess it depends on what people focus on. I know i didn't want to join some of the guilds, which might give my character a bad rep. So i am a goody guy which affects how i play the game, and what i decide to do. Sometimes i'll be running a quest and then i just get distracted by a pretty building i can see, and then i go explore and get into this side quest. Even when we have played the same quests, they go differently, or they get done in many ways.

I am enjoying it. I think its a little more immersive than Oblivion. At least to get the game where i have been playing for like 60hrs and not have done 1/4 of the main quest and still exploring, and some cities yet to discover.

So much to do.... So do we know now what was that surprise they were talking about?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    are you really agreeing? or was that sarcasm or something?

I was tired and misunderstood your whole post, sorry xD
    So are we gonna do a polycount skyrim mod? :D

Yes and yes and yes!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So was the free high res texture pack the surprise they were talking about? or that its 33% off atm?
  • THE 5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
    Is the creation kit out yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    Will it be aviable trough steam or somewhere else?
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, the texture pack was the surprise. 3GB of high res goodness! Mmmmm.

THE 5, you can find the "Creation Kit" download under "Tools" in your library. You may need to restart STEAM first.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    downloading the hi-res pack :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to dl the high res pack. I wonder what will this upres? does it say anywhere? and how will this impact the game running?
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Bah steam servers are too busy to handle your request. I'm guessing steams servers are crying right about now.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe got the same msg.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey will there be any 'Creation Kit discussion' thread around here? It would be kinda neat to get into that.
    On first glance the thing looks pretty complex and weird, I think it needs some time to get into it and it would be nice to see other fellow polycounters creating amazing stuff with it. :P
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDKivlGmia4&feature=channel_video_title"]Creation Kit Tutorial Series - Episode 1: Introduction to the Kit - YouTube[/ame]
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @eld: Well... that'll be helpful. Thanks! ^^
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture pack is pretty awesome, it isn't that overly detailed noisy bullshit uploaded on nexus.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duh.. sorry for being dumb.. but where is that texture pack?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh click on skyrim in your library on steam and on the right list of stuff click dlc and its the very first one
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some pics I took with the pack

X2AmM.jpg
    VW4c3.jpg
    bkbG5.jpg
    DqhMx.jpg
    ZJaTO.jpg
    Oq2tx.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone can tell me how the shader setup is? Do we have access to all sorts of stuff, or is it define my Gloss/Specular and call it a day?
  • Sean VanGorder
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lolskyrim.png

loving it already

Pa4cA.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I figured I'd start a master thread so we don't spam this thread up anymore than it needs to.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1515448

I'll put any major resources or tutorial links in the first post, just pm me or post them in the thread.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres a video I made showing the bethesda texture pack

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpPx-HHemJo"]2/7/12 Creation Kit HD textures (by Bethesda) First look HD - YouTube[/ame]
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    To be honest I'm a little disappointed with the texture pack. It makes a good bit of difference on the clothes, furniture, and some of the items - but it didn't do what I was hoping it would. I was hoping it would bring more consistency to the game. I'm sure we've all been walking down the road and noticed the sharp dirt texture next to the blurry as shit rocks. Or the nice grass/road next to the significantly less-so dragon bridge. Or a dungeon that's looking pretty awesome right until you realize it's filled with furniture that looks like you've got your textures set to low.

It's not enough to ruin things for me, but it's enough to stand out. I was hoping the high resolution texture pack would sort of fill those gaps, but it seems like everything in the environment got roughly the same boost. So the stuff that looked nice and sharp before still does, and the stuff that stood out to me before still stands out to me.

What I will probably wind up doing (I assume I can do this, looks like the paths are the same) is just extract the clothing/furniture files from the HD .bsa's and just dump the files in my texture folder, so that I can get the hd clothes and a few other things with what is otherwise the default textures.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice to see the artists getting to show their work, and not the horibbly compressed stuff that shipped with the console version.

The change is amazing in some areas. Although, in some others, it just made me able to see individual zbrush strokes. XD
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyrim has always been ugly viewed piece by piece. take it in as a whole :D
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Looks like it is just as simple as unpacking the .bsa archives and choosing which bits of the HD pack you're interested in if you don't want the whole thing via .esp's, which is pretty awesome. Needed that anyway, for compatibility with some of the mods I had installed prior. :thumbup:
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wtf?

wheres the puffin mod?
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome, i welcome mods but i don't see a need for them.

No mod shots, hi res texture pack and .ini tweaks only. (these are scaled down from 1920x1080)

ScreenShot81.png

ScreenShot15.png

ScreenShot32.png

ScreenShot52.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, i've started my nexus entry... let's see if i can figure out how to get it in-game lol.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1515864#post1515864
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I spent the last few weeks putting together a machinima the chronicles my character's journey through the game. I thought you guys might like it:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRgxHF5L94"]Fragile: The Journey of Runa | A Skyrim Machinima featuring "Fragile" by Ryan Blake Martin - YouTube[/ame]
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was wondering something, I haven't yet had the chance to play the game, finally got around to buy the game when I saw the toolkit was out, but it will be a bit before it get here. So until then, I was wondering how they deal with houses and doors.

By that I mean, do you open a door and step in, or is it like Oblivion, that you activate the door and you load a new 'level'? I was thinking to work on a building, but wanted to know if I needed to make two, one outside and one inside.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    By that I mean, do you open a door and step in, or is it like Oblivion, that you activate the door and you load a new 'level'? I was thinking to work on a building, but wanted to know if I needed to make two, one outside and one inside.

It's pretty much like in oblivion.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    You guys might be interested in Todd Howard's DICE speech, streaming this evening:

http://t.co/21hsu2rS
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ooOO Im on steam and the steam workshop is up :) I take it the creation kit is out? Ive found the hd texture pack but wheres the creation kit download button? Ah there it is hidden away in the tools section of steam...the sneaky hobbitses.
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    ooOO Im on steam and the steam workshop is up :) I take it the creation kit is out? Ive found the hd texture pack but wheres the creation kit download button?
    Go to your steam library and set the filter to 'tools'. Should be labeled as "Creation Kit".
    edit* doh! find it while I type this whydontya!
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    finally I got my Skyrim OST complete with Jeremy Soule signature
    SkyrimCD.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Signatures sure are weird.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob wrote: »
    You guys might be interested in Todd Howard's DICE speech, streaming this evening:

http://t.co/21hsu2rS

Wow awesome! its still going on now! Actually it just started!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frell.....it's the DICE Summit, not a speech for DICE the developer.

http://www.dicesummit.org/

Keep the BF and COD rants out of the Skyrim thread.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway the stream is still live and its funny as hell
  • ZacD
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, so basically in one week they added in all the things the game should have shipped with in the first place? Jesus christ that's depressing somehow.

And totally fucking awesome! Werebears and giant mudcrabs!?
    1310116280066.jpg

Though really guys, no giant mecha dwemer centurion to ride into combat? Tisk tisk.