Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    My problem has nothing to do with which hands are assigned to which keys, the problem is when trying to hotkey any dual wielded setup. The problem is that when you hotkey something, you need to be able to assign it to a hand.

Currently when you hotkey a spell, weapon, shield, etc - the game by default sticks it in a particular hand and ONLY in that particular hand. Weapons, for example, always go to your right hand when you select them via hotkey. So what if you want to be able to pull out two weapons with hotkeys? Impossible, assigning an axe to "3" and a sword to "4", you push 3, 4, both of them a hundred times, it doesn't matter - they are both simply going to go to your right hand, replacing the one that's already there. It's impossible to dual wield via hotkeys.

Shields, spells, and torches always go to your left hand when selected via hotkey. So you want to be a mage who uses a shield? Well if you want to select your stuff via hotkeys, you have to bind your shield to a key, and then you have to hit your spell hotkey TWICE (so that it fills both hands, because if you hit the same spell key twice it will fill both), then you have to hit your shield key again. So if I've got a fire spell and a shield, and I want to switch to a frost spell and keep my shield, I have to hit my frost spell key twice, then my shield key again - all the while your character is fumbling around on the screen like a doofus.

Additionally, since spells are not "assigned" a hand, but go default to the left and then fill both left and right if you hit the key twice - it's not possible to unequip a spell via hotkey. So if I want to be a spellsword, who casts an alteration shield spell but otherwise uses a sword - it's impossible for me to use the shield and put it away via hotkey. Which means I will never be able to use my sword to block (since your offhand has to be empty) unless I manually unequip the spell after I use it.

There are several characters I would like to play that I simply don't feel like I can at the moment, because hotkeys are only really reliable for using potions, or selecting a single weapon. I realize console players do not have the luxury of hotkeys to begin with, but there's a reason I bought the PC version.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, question, doesn't the dual bind work based upon speed?

I think pressing a key set quickly will bind them accordingly, doesn't it?

Wait, nevermind, I recall now I had issues try to change between single handed, dual staff and magic at appropriately timed intervals.
  • Stinger88
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screw Microsoft, what's the deal with 'Timed DLC' for 30 days? Does it change anything? If I own a PC, and I have the game on PC, I'm not going to run out and get me a X360 just for a DLC so I can play it 30 days early.

I knew MS were smucks for wanting the PC gaming market to die because they can't capitalize on it via kits, but this is ridiculous.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Isnt this sort of monopolistic market rigging tactics? Arent their regulators for this sort of thing?
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    It's Bethesda, 360 isn't getting it as an exclusive, they're testing it for the rest of us, Fallout DLC was buggy too
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Wa wa, quit crying. Your life isn't going to end if you get a DLC 30 day later. Do something more productive with those 30 days and consider the time well spent.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Calabi wrote: »
    Isnt this sort of monopolistic market rigging tactics? Arent their regulators for this sort of thing?

We have the entire workshop's worth of mods, along with the editor, I think we'll survive a month :P
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTwIRfem7kI"]Skyrim detailed shadows with indoor scene (ENBSeries) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Stinger88
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this has been posted already, but: http://kotaku.com/5868662/skyrim-now-has-multiplayer-sort-of

I foresee quite a bit of trouble if you can use the console and whatnot, but sounds like a good one, atl for co-op :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    They want to make it like Guild Wars, where you have everyone messing around in the city hubs with X numbers of people to act as 'severs' and then when you go out, you instance to a party and have no other interactions.

Pretty cool, and I honestly hope it does get done.
  • Will Faucher
  • Geezus
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, anything which has Heavy Metal/Frazetta looking vampires in it gets a 100+ from me.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Beat you to it, Geezus! :D
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Beat you to it, Geezus! :D

Doh! :x
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    That looks bloody cool. I've not played Skyrim, but judging by both trailers, the narrative seems much nicer in this expansion.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I'm getting no tan this summer.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Hmm I wonder how many hours gameplay it'll be.
  • Geezus
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Geezus wrote: »

Soo, do I have to own Skyrim on the 360 for this? Cause, I was smart and got it on PC instead :X

(ps it looks awesome, let me dual wield crossbows kthxbie)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, X360 exclusive the first month, afterwards it comes to PC and PS3.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Dawnguard is out today, on Xbox.

Why aren't you playing it right now!? :)
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    So...they intentionally made vampires crappy the first time around in order to sell us this DLC?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't seem like DLC to me, feels like a full expansion, back to the old days. I'm glad that they held this feature back. It's very feature rich and the art produced for it (the look of the vampires) is top notch. Plus it gives the expansion pack a whole theme; better than 'oh it's a few more sets of armour' right?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Geezus wrote: »
    Dawnguard is out today, on Xbox.

Why aren't you playing it right now!? :)

Because I have Skyrim on PC. Damn console exclusivity windows...
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Pancakes wrote: »
    So...they intentionally made vampires crappy the first time around in order to sell us this DLC?
    I doubt that. Vampires were handled in Skyrim pretty much the same as in previous Elder Scrolls games. You could fight vampires, and become one, but there was never that much to do as one, and not much interesting gameplay associated with them. I think it's quite cool to see it more fleshed out.

Is it only out for download? I would prefer to buy a disc, does anyone know if/when that will be an option?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Is it only out for download? I would prefer to buy a disc, does anyone know if/when that will be an option?

A boxed expansion will be available in 1996
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    yay so now me and my friend cant play together

way to be sellouts bethesda +1!!!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    yay so now me and my friend cant play together

How did you get multiplayer Skyrim?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap, the DLC is barely legal (pun intended) and you guys are already causing so much drama about it.

Chill guys, talk about stuff in it, not conspiracy theories on why the original Vamp's sucked, etc. all in the name of profit.

Kids these days.

Also, what Multiplayer? Skyrim was always a SP game, the Online 'mod' is only available on PC, and it still has some kinks, I fail to see the issue with this DLC?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I was in the middle of a 40 player raid and dawnguard shut the servers down! sellouts!
  • r13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 founder
    yes, when a game is updated, some of the previous mods will be broken until the various authors make adjustments. Especially those that do things like turn a single player game into a multiplayer game.

But by all means feel free to call them sellouts, however we get to call you a dumbass.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r13 wrote: »
    But by all means feel free to call them sellouts, however we get to call you a dumbass.
    I dont see how. PC is hardly a competitor to the 360 as the PS3 is, Microsoft could have allowed it to go to PC and Xbox. A console kid isn't going to switch to PC just to play it, you can't just walk out to a store and buy a perfect gaming rig. I do have an Xbox and I did contemplate trading in garbage sniper elite to try and get a used Skyrim. But in the end I don't care because it won't be PC.

lol@Microsoft still thinking people will instantly buy their console on a short notice in such a shit economy.

@Andreas, No, we just voice chat while playing anything new in Skyrim like we did for F3 and Oblivion

tl;dr: its PS3 and Xbox rivalry, yet the PC has to suffer

EDIT: Did I use the term sellout wrong? Some of the comments didn't make sense. I just meant Bethesda accepted Microsofts contract to release content early for xbox. 99% chance im ignorant on the subject so please fill me in.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Its just a 30 day exclusivity isn't it? Its coming to PC and PS3 eventually so its really not a big deal. I really don't see why its THAT much of a problem.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I have friends on Xbox and wed all party chat while playing the same game, except I was on PC.

Most of my friends will easily max out the addon content in a week and be done playing it before it releases anywhere else. Probably sooner since its summer.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think using the term "sellouts" is bad in general, people said the same thing about Metallica (and for sure, their music has deteriorated with their age), but when people said they sold out, they said...

"of course we sold out, every date on our tours since the late eighties".

and they're right. i don't see what's wrong with doing what's going to make you the most successful, releasing it on one platform over the others sucks for the others, but it's just marketing, and if they make money from it which goes into making more games, then great.

i honestly don't think it will adversely affect their sales anyway.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My two cents:

Release windows and region locking have never proven to improve sales, but they have been shown to increase animosity and frustration towards publishers. Considering that PC users have the CK, some may just pass on the DLC entirely in favor of all the many mods the community produces.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, it's all moot. We're talking about a very 'niche', almost microscopic in terms of scale, points on which people are ranting about the DLC, all of which are timed.

-Vampires always have been useless since day one of TES, I don't get where people say Vamp's have been nerfed.

-Timed DLC is something MS always did for the XBOX just because they can (serves no purpose BTW other then bragging rights for consumer).

-A large number of people to own a console also own a competent PC, this number is slightly higher for XBOX users, so you could lose out on initial sales if one wants to 'test' the mod before buying it. This clamps the values of initial sales.

-A Dev can line a little bit of cash in their pockets with this method, what's wrong with that? With everything happening around us, is it such a bad thing? A 30 day wait isn't the biggest evil we have, with everything that other companies are doing.

-Mods WILL BREAK when new DLC's are released, amazing how in a couple of years we went from Fallout's "We understand" to "OMGFBBQ, MOD IS GOING TO BREAK!!! FUK YOU BETH!"

-Playing a game via Party Chat on different consoles is the first...this is the first time I hear of it honestly, and I'm a BIG nerd for Multi-playing games, so...it's kinda a personal point, which is like saying "I'm allergic to wheat" and proceed to moan about it, when all I did was ask if you wanted a sandwich.

-PC is the biggest competitor for 'Heritage' titles vs. Consoles. It's been noted that more PC gamers play and will keep on playing games in the long run with DLC, etc, for games like Fallout, TES, Diablo, etc vs. any console market out there.

So yeah, take it for what you will, but sellout is kinda a harsh word. It's the equivalent of a calling a girl who happens to be extrovert a 'slut', it's simply not nice, and you're being closed minded to the environment around you.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Are any of the various vampirism bugs fixed in this...by chance? I've got mods that can fix most of them, but there's a ton of visual based vampire bugs for various races still in existence last I checked.

Also...if anyone has played it, this might sound like a weird question - but what happens if a female character turns into the vampire demon form thing? Do they suddenly become a shirtless demon man?
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

-Timed DLC is something MS always did for the XBOX just because they can (serves no purpose BTW other then bragging rights for consumer).

I would have thought it was because if they have a good amount of timed exclusive games or DLC, it might be just enough for some people to choose xbox over ps3 if they are on the fence.
    Bragging rights are cool and all that, but they don't put food on the table...it's to sell consoles ;)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any news on pc dlc?
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    So I am just getting back into Skyrim, going to do a second playthrough, I was wondering if anyone knows of the mods I am after. #1 A character equipment screen like Diablo, where you can drag and drop armour onto your character and see what you're wearing. #2 Displacement maps/higher res textures. #3 Better faces/facial animation. #4 Any other graphic enhancements. Thanks in advance :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would have thought it was because if they have a good amount of timed exclusive games or DLC, it might be just enough for some people to choose xbox over ps3 if they are on the fence.
    Bragging rights are cool and all that, but they don't put food on the table...it's to sell consoles ;)

Don't get me wrong, it's good for the Dev's, some extra cash in their pockets, but for the consumer, it doesn't matter if you put up a 30 day grace period or a 300 day grace period, if someone has a PC (as in my case) they're not going to adopt what can be charitably called a Stone-Henge PC with considerably less power just so I can get a DLC early.

As for PS3 and X360 version debate, Skyrim kinda is a clunky mess on the PS3 for technical reasons, that still didn't stop people from buying it up-to-date. So again, I'm not sure if it even has an impact that can read out in terms of sale, if anything I would say the Kinect had a bigger impact for extra sales then a 30 day DLC period did.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm a pc Gamer, and i paid 24 euros for Skyrim (game that i could not play well until several weeks, waiting for patches), so i won't buy the DLC for 20 because that's a robbery imho.
  • ScudzAlmighty
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message