Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
  • Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would, but I have been playing on PS3 since my PC can't handle it.

edit: Also I would just go into the quest log and teleport from there to another town, but since I have bounty in Solitude it is showing enemies nearby and so I can't do that either.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Andy Richter did *ALL* of the character voices in Skyrim, fyi.

http://teamcoco.com/video/andy-skyrim-voiceover
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Permafrost wrote: »
    So I decided to continue the main storyline finally, got to solitude where I have a massive bounty after completing the Dark Brotherhood quest and then I get to the stables tell the lady i'm ready and then i'm stuck in a glitch can't move nothing. I have no back up saves since i had to turn off auto save since it constantly caused freezing issues. If I have to restart from the beginning the game is going on the shelf and not getting touched again, as I don't feel like putting another 80+ hours into it again just to get to the point im at.

Why would you play an Elder Scrolls on a single game save?
    Surely there must be some kind of unstuck option somewhere. I'm a PC player, but there's gotta be something to help with this.
  • Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Why would you play an Elder Scrolls on a single game save?
    Surely there must be some kind of unstuck option somewhere. I'm a PC player, but there's gotta be something to help with this.

Well, I got to the point to where I was could only get about an hour or 2 in at a time so I would save real quick not thinking about it and it bit me in the ass.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Or you go over the top like me, currently having saved 2353 times.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks really awesome!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU4oAKZE1VI&quot;]&lt;iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EU4oAKZE1VI&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/ame]
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    man.. i hope the integration with steam workshop works awesomely. Having to install your mods somewhere else, or directly into your folders can be a little hectic and you loose track of what you have and what you don't. Specially if you want to uninstall specific ones. Hopefully this will help.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    that looks sooo sexy
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Seamless updating is gonna be a bliss on both mod creators and players!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I'm super pumped about that wiki written by the devs. Hopefully this will help increase the quality of the mods. Damn, can't wait for this to come out. I would love to make some mods considering that Morrowind's modding community was what got me interested in making games :)
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Beth know the community. I cant wait to try that puffin mod.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    To be totally honest, the Steam Workshop integration is a feature I really don't care about. I'm hoping (and assuming) that I'll be able to just ignore it entirely. I don't want any of my mods uploaded anywhere, and I don't care about having anything automatically download things for me. I'd rather just hit up skyrim nexus and organize things myself. Most of the mods I ever cared to download were simple .esp's to check or uncheck anyway.

The Creation Kit itself does look pretty sweet, I'm still waiting on it to make some dungeons/homes/caves of my own before actually jumping in and taking the game seriously.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I am VERY excited for steam integration for mods. I absolutely hate dealing with the nexus.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Two Listen wrote: »
    To be totally honest, the Steam Workshop integration is a feature I really don't care about. I'm hoping (and assuming) that I'll be able to just ignore it entirely. I don't want any of my mods uploaded anywhere, and I don't care about having anything automatically download things for me. I'd rather just hit up skyrim nexus and organize things myself. Most of the mods I ever cared to download were simple .esp's to check or uncheck anyway.

The Creation Kit itself does look pretty sweet, I'm still waiting on it to make some dungeons/homes/caves of my own before actually jumping in and taking the game seriously.

Bethesda has already said it won't remove the old way of getting mods, but this way is beneficial. It gives mod authors a super easy way to keep people up to date with their mod and any fixes that go with it. Getting mod-updates and patches into peoples hands is pretty hard.

afaik nexus will keep doing it their way, and probably will have their third party tool ready for skyrim when the creation kit hits.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Personally I really appreciate the option to download mods automatically.

I still remember times when I would feel like playing Morrowind again. But before doing so I would spend hours and hours installing mods, trying to fix conflicts, looking up patches and getting rid of crashes. By the time I was done, I would often lose interest and feel like an idiot for wasting so much time on this.

Sure, chances are this won't eliminate all of the issues, but perhaps it will result in me having more time to actually play the damn game :poly142:
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looking forward to modding the spell FX. if the export pipeline should be the same since its gamebryo. Maybe I can persuade r13 to collaborate on it with me.
  • Eliasfrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw the blog update about the steam integration and I really like it, although I'm using the nexus manager to get my mods down, this will surely be something for those who don't want or like the nexus manager (or do it manually).

I'm so exited about this, soon I will be able to create a merchant that has more than 700 gold on her! :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Managing mods was always a pain for me, I'll love to be able to download an overhaul mod that is 1/5th of the way done, and have it update automatically.

I hate having to sign up for mod sites, and having to deal with poor website functionality and slow downloads.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    eld wrote: »
    Bethesda has already said it won't remove the old way of getting mods, but this way is beneficial. It gives mod authors a super easy way to keep people up to date with their mod and any fixes that go with it. Getting mod-updates and patches into peoples hands is pretty hard.

afaik nexus will keep doing it their way, and probably will have their third party tool ready for skyrim when the creation kit hits.

Well that's good to know. I'm sure I'll use the Steam Workshop integration off and on for a couple things if it proves to be more convenient - say, the Unofficial Skyrim Patch when that comes out, or maybe one or two "necessities". I just didn't want to have to use it for every little thing.

I downloaded a shit ton of mods early on in my time with Oblivion, and I later wound up really regretting it, so I've gotten into the habit of downloading as few mods as possible while still getting the most out of the experience. I'm also just very particular about how stuff gets installed. :)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    It would be nice if the feature would remember what kind of mods you used before, if you have reinstalled your steam, because with Oblivion I had loads of mods, just to make it playable, but damn if I can remember all of them.
    So would be cool if you could somehow see which mods was used for the savegames or something.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I just hope mod developers actually using a sparse-per-mode variation system, rather then what Nexus currently has.

For example, there is a mod for better tats on Nexus, which I have installed, but the 'original' mod replaces the tats with worn out ones, so the author uploaded a second one, on the same page, which isn't worn out.

So with the manager, it basically tells me that the mod is out of date, and that I need to update it all the time.

So yeah, it would be great if 'secondary' or variation mods of an original mod could be better supported.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Or a nicer option would allow the person playing the game to select what components of the mod are activated, as long as the mod creator separated them, and give the person playing check boxes and drop down menus.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    looking forward to modding the spell FX. if the export pipeline should be the same since its gamebryo. Maybe I can persuade r13 to collaborate on it with me.

Didn't they change the engine? Isnt it their own? Developing it in Gamebryo AGAIN seems irresponsible at best to me.
  • Geezus
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    Didn't they change the engine? Isnt it their own? Developing it in Gamebryo AGAIN seems irresponsible at best to me.

Gamebryo is a rendering engine, it's fair to say it wasn't related to everything people attribute it to when it comes to bethesdas games.

But it's also fair to say that skyrim is a more robust game than previous ones and features a more flexible renderer this time around, more due to what bethesda actually did rather than not using gamebryo.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Creation Engine is GameBryo which has been revamped.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Are you on drugs? lol

constantly

I was wondering, is this the latest guide we can learn from?

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/index.php/Main_Page

They stated that there was a skyrim creation, unable to find it... unless they will launch that with the kit.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

it cant be, gamebryo isnt able to do shadows. everyone knows that.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Geezus wrote: »

Lol, Speech level 200+, multiple target successfully persuaded
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

It's less irresponsible than throwing out years of tools and pipelines they've developed. Having worked with Gamebryo most of my career I don't see what people are complaining about, I have a feeling most of it is hearsay.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's less irresponsible than throwing out years of tools and pipelines they've developed. Having worked with Gamebryo most of my career I don't see what people are complaining about, I have a feeling most of it is hearsay.

People started blaming gamebryo for any kind of wild reasons. Facegen, bad animations, textures, AI, pathfinding, and quests bugging out.

In short though: it got silly.

From what I recon they rewrote the rendering part to get more features and have it done their way and fast enough to get all the bells and whistles for the consoles, and the rest was non-gamebryo stuff more related to the engine of skyrim itself.

As one will find that skyrim still uses stuff like NIF's it means that many of the parts of gamebryo that worked fine were good enough to keep around.

Every bug of the prior games is directly relate-able to the fact that these are gigantic sandbox games, no one with their right mind makes these kind of games, and if they do they will at most be very static and technically predictable kind of games much like the gta series.

There aren't many sandbox rpg's out there with full physics, droppable items, and full persistance out there.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many MMO's use GameBryo, and they work fine, people just like complaining about stuff, period.

Seriously, no one even knew GameBryo until Oblivion came long and made ugly faces and funny path-finding in a sandbox, a youtube fad.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'll jokingly say:

They should've stayed with NetImmerse!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Kind of like how people think games made in unreal engine always have bulky space marine characters and gray plastic looking environments covered in glowy bits because the engine works that way.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    QFT, a friend of mine complained that CE3 engine is very good for games with Mecha in them, and that UDK makes bulky rough skinned marines look cool, while if you want for soft delicate skins like that of a sexy female warrior, then you need to use the Crystal Engine (FF13) and that no one engine can make everything look cool.

I wanted to punch him so hard...so I became a Viking.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Geezus wrote: »

Lol.. "fast travel's for pussies!"

-

So I decided to finish the main storyline last night after putting it off for so long, I didn't want to finish it too soon because I thought I would get that 'gta/red dead' feeling afterwards where I feel completely disconnected from the game. (
    In red dead I would've played on doing all the side quests and achievements but then they just kill off your character and give you a new one, just couldn't be assed at that point. Same with GTA where you have to choose who dies at the end, total bummer which just made me want to put down the controller because what you know from the start of the game just gets taken away from you.

I thought the main quest was ok, it didn't really seem like there was a great deal to it, in fact it felt rather short in terms of how much you actually had to do to get to fight Alduin. But I think this is a good thing, as it doesn't feel too conclusive, I still want to go back and play some of the other story lines which is nice.

One thing I didn't really like though, but this is just my personal taste, was the Dwemer dungeons/zones. Man, I found those dungeons
    fucking depressing to the point where I just switched it to easy mode, grabbed a companion and zerged through them. I don't know what it was about them specifically though. It might just be the whole rusty steam punk vibe that I think didn't really fit in this game, it reminded me too much of fallout 3/vegas (which were great games) and just didn't sit right with me... Maybe if you actually fought dwarves instead of mechanical spiders I'd be ok with it, but...meh.
    I loved the whole nord vibe elsewhere, and don't think the dwemer stuff really complimented it.

I also finished the Thieves guild questline and
    is it just me, or was there almost no real sneaking/heists involved in it? I mean, in oblivion, at the end you have to go and steal a freakin' elder scroll, and have to sneak up that massive tower, avoiding all the guards, but in these quests, you just sneak through a dungeon, are forced into combat (which is ok sometimes) but then the quest companion you have with you just goes into a fucking craze and starts shouting, and going into melee. I found it really weird overall, and there wasn't really very many traditional 'thief' quests.

The only thing that was actually kinda sneaky and thief like was the Goldenglow Estate quest, where you had to enter that lakehouse place and you would sneak past guards etc.

the odd jobs that Delvin (btw that english accent he has is awesome!) and Vex give you require very little sneaking around. Especially the ledger stuff. You can just walk into a shop in daytime, not even sneak, go up to the ledger and activate, boom, done. 90% of the time nobody is even in the room to see so...ehhhh.

That said, I still thoroughly enjoyed it all, and have to say this is probably the best game I have ever played. 68 hours atm, and about 30 of those were in the first few days of release. The greatest thing about this game though, aside from the fact that I still want to come back to it every now and then, is how I already feel nostalgic about it. I already feel nostalgic about when the game was released and doing those first few quests, and looting all that iron/imperial stuff to sell and get gold, knowing that everyone else playing the game was doing the same. :)

Not many games these days can really do this so soon, or make me want to play until 4am on the release days. This was worth every damn penny, and I cannot wait for DLC. :)

Also I can't wait to see what the next Elder scrolls game will be about, I reaaaaaaaaaaally hope it is set in Elsweyr, the homeland of the Khajiit. One thing that peaked my interest in Skyrim was just how few Khajiit you see, and how they're banished from the cities. I almost always talked to them when I saw them as they seemed so rare. The way they described Elsweyr makes it sound like Egypt, which I think would be fucking awesome for the next game. :)

Anyway, enough rambling.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JFletcher wrote: »
    Also I can't wait to see what the next Elder scrolls game will be about, I reaaaaaaaaaaally hope it is set in Elsweyr, the homeland of the Khajiit. One thing that peaked my interest in Skyrim was just how few Khajiit you see, and how they're banished from the cities. I almost always talked to them when I saw them as they seemed so rare. The way they described Elsweyr makes it sound like Eygpt, which I think would be fucking awesome for the next game. :)

Anyway, enough rambling.

Trul, Elsweyr would be awesome in the next TES game, vast deserts and jungles to the south. Much like how skyrim treated the world with a lovely splash of snow, the same could be done with sand and sandstorms to create this journey type landscape.

And imagine this tropical kind of south with an archipelago of palmtree islands to explore ;)
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Have to agree about Dwemer ruins, they're boring. They're long, samey, and full of the two most tedious enemies in the game (automatons and falmer). Looking at dwarven art from the previous games it looks like they had some Assyrian styling going on, which is a pity because the Skyrim concepting is boring and clunky. The cocnept of the Dwemer is great, but the art and execution let it down.

Also the main quest ended very poorly.
    Instead of fighting Alduin on the mountain and then in Sovngarde, the first battle should have been in Sovngarde in order to break the soul trap and drive him into the real world. Then once he was weakened the final battle should have taken place in a city, for example Whiterun, with a few dragons to back him up. Make Alduin fight you again as you call heroes and Ohdaaving for support. Make it actually hard, and make it feel like it matters. I played on Master and stomped his face right in as a level 45.
  • breakneck
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    special surprise huh?
    how about it unlocks the rest of the continents landscape, but its all blank for the modders to fill in.
  • Geezus
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I completed the main questline last nighttoo.. kinda felt a bit mehwiththe ending.. and as if by magic the bugged companions quest started working again which made me happy.. seeing as I spent most of the time in skyrim as a werewolf...
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Once I realized how linear the game was I couldn't play it anymore :(

Honestly I really loved Ob and F3 in comparison
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I swear, dude, it's all in your head. No way is it any more linear than Fallout 3 or Oblivion. There's way more to the world, too.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    What Joopson said. A lot of people don't know what words mean.

Wars in Skyrim mod is da bizomb!
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6176
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cholden wrote: »
    What Joopson said. A lot of people don't know what words mean.

Wars in Skyrim mod is da bizomb!
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=6176

that looks quite good, have they done a fair job of textures and models? Im not so keen on model/texture swaps, looking forward to proper mods really.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    forget all that bullshit. The gameplay additions will destroy and frustrate you.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Joopson wrote: »
    I swear, dude, it's all in your head. No way is it any more linear than Fallout 3 or Oblivion. There's way more to the world, too.
    Really? To me it seemed like I was walking around looking for a linear quest to follow, and then having markers put everywhere on my screen because obviously im an idiot or something. If markers and non-event changing dialogue isnt linear then I don't know what is. Not to mention 80-90% of the game taking place in dungeons which are extremely linear. Oh and the mountains that force you to take the same path and see the exact same stuff when you're going somewhere.