Home General Discussion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Replies

• eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Rick_D wrote: »
    has anyone seen the leaked videos showing the opening of the game?

i don't want to be negative but damn, i hope that's an old build ;_;

Can't break the tradition of badly lit character gen scenes :P

Still, I loved the little I watched, sets the mood perfectly if you put the small technical downsides to the side.
  • Skamberin
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I've seen it. Whats wrong with it? D: I thought it was awesome.
    Well, apart from the Shadow Res, but it was 360 footage, so.
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    Even if that's an old build I feel the final build sadly wont be much different. Though I hope I'm proven wrong. Regardless of the technical downsides the gameplay looks awesome.

My major concern about the game is the AI. As in this old gameplay video below you see how the guy just draws out his sword standing there waiting to be killed.
    http://youtu.be/zBAmRXJjpOo?t=16s
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I did watch it, and yeah, the lighting was all over the place, the characters had glowing hair disease again, and my word the animations were messy...

But no doubt I'll pour far too many hours into the game and have more than enough fun for the price :p So I'm not fussed at all. Sure, it would be nice if they fixed up these issues for once, but hey ho, there we go...
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, characters still move as if someone stuck a wooden log up their asses. It's TES alright. :poly142:

Anyways; none of those videos sell the game for me. It might be me, but as much as I love me some TES it it's such a bore to watch someone else play it. Frankly, I couldn't care less about any of those scripted events.

Judging by the video it feels more like Oblivion than Morrowind, but whether I will really like it or not will depend mainly on how the loot/monster placement is handled. I wasn't a big fan of Ob, but even I have to admit that it wasn't bad when played with mods that changed level scaling (like OOO).

But again, it's TES. As long as I can run around wearing nothing but my underpants, punching bears and looting houses then I'm in.
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    But again, it's TES. As long as I can run around wearing nothing but my underpants, punching bears and looting houses then I'm in.

What more reason do you need?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    i really just want to be a vampire.... kill some shit at night!
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    yanno Ive never played any of the series.. and I can't quite remember why.. looks fun though..
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    agree, i will still play the shit out of the game, but i really wish i didn't have to accept i was playing a game every 5 minutes. the animation system bethesda have been using for so long is shit, please hire some people who accept change and can throw out that code, or hire some animators, just do something. i can't believe there is any good technical reason for it - maybe it cuts down on memory, maybe it's so basic that it runs effeciently on older hardware? i don't think i will believe any reason other than "we don't want to change it".

what i saw of the quakecon build was mindblowing, utterly fantastic, but you could still see the rough edges. hopefully the polish outshines the rough edges, i'm sure it will, i have enjoyed every bethesda game i've played so i don't doubt that it'll be good, i just wish it was better than what i saw :(

maybe beth can leak some better looking videos? ;)
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Rick_D wrote: »
    what i saw of the quakecon build was mindblowing, utterly fantastic, but you could still see the rough edges. hopefully the polish outshines the rough edges, i'm sure it will, i have enjoyed every bethesda game i've played so i don't doubt that it'll be good, i just wish it was better than what i saw :(

You mean that 20min demonstration by bethesda?, that wasn't all that different from the leaked starting videos, animations are the same, but I think the big difference is that the starting environment is quite drab and depressing, and the video itself is low-res, muddy and badly contrasted unlike bethesdas own recorded video.

Still, animations are not super, but they're way better than in oblivion.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I think the reason Animations became such a glaring issue as of now, is because we're talking about a post Rage game.

Honestly, I got so used to having enemies lose a leg, and still pull their upper half body towards me before gugrgling in their own blood, that I was taken back by Skyrim and how 'gamey' the animations look, lack the weight and pull in the characters. Hell, even Deus Ex suffers from that issue in that regard.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I think the reason Animations became such a glaring issue as of now, is because we're talking about a post Rage game.

Honestly, I got so used to having enemies lose a leg, and still pull their upper half body towards me before gugrgling in their own blood, that I was taken back by Skyrim and how 'gamey' the animations look, lack the weight and pull in the characters. Hell, even Deus Ex suffers from that issue in that regard.

I've never played Rage, and I don't think it's an issue because of it. TES has always been known for having terrible animations. As a huge TES fan, I've never had a problem with this. And, I play in first person, so I dont see my own dude slipping and sliding everywhere.

Just give me a game that I can spend days exploring, and I'll be happy.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    z3phon wrote: »
    My major concern about the game is the AI. As in this old gameplay video below you see how the guy just draws out his sword standing there waiting to be killed.
    http://youtu.be/zBAmRXJjpOo?t=16s

Would you prefer that enemies know exactly where you are even when you're completely hidden?
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    well, from what I have seen, the 3rd person animations for walking/running are waaaaaaaay better, didnt look like sliding around anymore thank god. This game cant come out soon enough, if everything ive seen and heard is any indication then the scope of the project must have been huge, so congrats to everyone who worked on it and actually got it done :D.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I used to be bothered by the animations in Elder Scroll Games, but then i actually tried the game and got sucked into it. Now i could care less. Yes, it would be awesome seeing more realistic types of animations but again, it doesn't out-weigh the pure awesomeness and content of these games.
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you prefer that enemies know exactly where you are even when you're completely hidden?

That's not what he's suggesting at all nor is it your only choices. Anybody with the will to survive would immediately take cover from projectiles or at least turn a shield in its general direction. Standing there and not doing anything about it just makes him a candidate for the Darwin Awards. Bottom line, if you see your buddy get sniped, you run away so you don't get sniped too and then you can try to find out where they are. The guy should have ran away and possibly got help if there were others.
  • z3phon
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon polycounter lvl 12
    ^ Exactly. Take for example a game like Fear or Batman Arkham Asylum where even if you take down an enemy in stealth, the other's get alerted when they see the dead body and run for cover or group up.
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    z3phon wrote: »
    ^ Exactly. Take for example a game like Fear or Batman Arkham Asylum where even if you take down an enemy in stealth, the other's get alerted when they see the dead body and run for cover or group up.

Right. If they see one of their guys go down while you stay in the shadows, they look for you and don't simply stand there helplessly. It made stealth a thinking man's game.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »
    That's not what he's suggesting at all nor is it your only choices. Anybody with the will to survive would immediately take cover from projectiles or at least turn a shield in its general direction. Standing there and not doing anything about it just makes him a candidate for the Darwin Awards. Bottom line, if you see your buddy get sniped, you run away so you don't get sniped too and then you can try to find out where they are. The guy should have ran away and possibly got help if there were others.

I wonder if stupidity differs in difficulty levels or if it's just health and skill boosts.

I could see things like AI being more aggressive and not just waiting for player to attack in higher difficulties, or reacting faster to his buddy just getting shot.
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    So, from what I've seen so far, I'm expecting Oblivion with a slightly shinier coat of real-time shadows and dual-wielding. Mind you, I could totally be wrong - but whatever the result, it won't change the fact that reviewers will still pile on the 8/9 out of 10 reviews left and right like with any competently adequate game nowadays.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I honestly dont see what made morrowind and oblivion so different
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    aivanov wrote: »
    So, from what I've seen so far, I'm expecting Oblivion with a slightly shinier coat of real-time shadows and dual-wielding. Mind you, I could totally be wrong - but whatever the result, it won't change the fact that reviewers will still pile on the 8/9 out of 10 reviews left and right like with any competently adequate game nowadays.

When the devs several times have acknowledged the flaws of oblivion and the mentioned the intent to fix them I think it means that we'll see a better game than oblivion.
    frell wrote: »
    I honestly dont see what made morrowind and oblivion so different

the level-scaling, the world itself, the storyline.

I think bethesda wanted to solve the issue of players not being able to go anywhere at any point without hitting monsters too powerful, so they created a system where the content would adjust after the players level.

Needless to say it worked, but became a problem since there wasn't any point going anywhere, monsters would be the same level, while in morrowind you would at a regular basis encounter dungeons that were too hard which gave you an incentive to become stronger and come back later.

Fallout 3 mixed it up a bit and used a bit of both which made it a far greater experience than oblivion, and with skyrim they seem to have used that experience to improve on it further, I can't wait to see the final result, but hopefully it is even more towards morrowind.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    eld wrote: »
    Fallout 3 mixed it up a bit and used a bit of both which made it a far greater experience than oblivion, and with skyrim they seem to have used that experience to improve on it further, I can't wait to see the final result, but hopefully it is even more towards morrowind.

sounds good, Im curious as to how they will make this work. I always thought that there should be a curve to the leveling up so that when you level up the monsters slowly begin to level up to the same level as you but its slow so you feel powerful for a while and then as you get closer to your next level up then things become more challenging, I would like to try a game like that.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    As long as you can still go back to easy areas and bitch-slap baddies that you thought were really tough early on. That's always a good feeling
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm totally reaching here, but in AA, the enemies knew that Batman was there somewhere, while the dude in the cave just had his friend randomly get flung off by something. I'd imagine that a normal human would take a little bit to fully absorb the situation and realize that someone's sniping.

Then again, he DID immediately draw his sword, so you guys are probably right.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It also needs to go the other way - the "Holy crap! Run!" moments. Fallout New Vegas does it nicely by planting a pair of giant rad scorpions within about 100 metres of your initial spawn point that you can easily blunder into.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    I never noticed oblivion didn't give you the sense of power of 1 hitting peasants. I really hope try let us, I'd love to feel I'm progressing in a game by being able to deal with hard shit.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    As long as you can still go back to easy areas and bitch-slap baddies that you thought were really tough early on. That's always a good feeling

You never know, by the time you get back they might all be wearing the some of the most rare armour in the game!
  • Geezus
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    So, SO glad I bought the collectors edition.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Motion capture!
  • throttlekitty
    That sweetroll looks delicious!
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    That sweetroll looks delicious!

SAAWEET ROOLLL!
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Damn I might just have to go back to Gamestop and upgrade to the collectors edition, this looks amazing.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    So so glad I scraped up enough money to buy the normal version of the game

And so so glad people will put it on YouTube :)
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    2:12

Chicken stuck up the anatomy model's ass. :)
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I'm looking forward to this game. Unfortunately I don't know if I'll have time to play it in the next few months.
  • Geezus
  • Sean VanGorder
    Awww, Geezus beat me to it. Loving these dev podcasts though.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    whytho.png
    Oh yeah. That's quite an article.
  • eld
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Oh yeah. That's quite an article.

Hrm, odd. Take out the -0 at the end of the link and you'll go to the full article.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Geezus wrote: »
    Hrm, odd. Take out the -0 at the end of the link and you'll go to the full article.

It's only with the -0 at the end that I go to the full article. Without it I get what Marshal got. This only seems to happen in Opera (for me), as when I do it in Firefox it opens just fine.
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    R.I.P social life 11-11-11
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    The Steam release date says 11-10-11 now. Is it coming out a day early or is that just because of a midnight release or something?
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    The Steam release date says 11-10-11 now. Is it coming out a day early or is that just because of a midnight release or something?

Based on what I've been reading they're shooting for a midnight release 11/11/11 EST - which means that the other three timezones here in the states will be able to "unlock" the game anywhere from one to three hours early, technically being the 10th for some folk.
  • Habboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
  • Sean VanGorder
    Soule is hands down my favorite game composer. I read somewhere that the Skyrim OST is 4 discs in total. It will be mine.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    The *entire* soundtrack was leaked. Someone brought it at work and it's incredible.