Home General Discussion

RAGE

Replies

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I only played a little bit last night as I have something to do right now but ... wow amazing game. My computer is kind of old but after adding that extra config file it is working great.
    Art is amazing. Very very pretty :)
    Gonna use this game as motivation to finish my project now faster :) so i can play more.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely game so far, shooting is fun, way more fun then a certain graphics benchmark i luckily didn't buy.
    Racing also feels nice and fun, was a bit skeptical at first but yes its cool after all.
    The game art it self is gorgeous, favorite part are clearly the characters i am so tired of this semi realistic stuff.
    Bugs are rare for me so far, just a flickering main menu sometimes, the texture popping i could tweak away.
    So far for me the real catch are the low resolution textures and bad compression artifacts, don't care if its due mega textures, or the fact consoles as lead platform ruin everything, it just feels wrong on such a modern game... not to mention how much its kills the mod of such an fine crafted environment art.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even with the low res textures it still looks amazing. Wait until you get further into the game, it gets better and better looking
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    grr, RO2 still hasnt been patched up even a month after release

I want my money back for RAGE!!! :(
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I am having a blast playing Rage, the shooting feels so good. I really wish I could have the shooting of Rage and the world of fallout. Maybe id will help Bethesda out with Fallout 4? After the update I have little to no pop in of textures. It is defiantly worth the $60, though I did not pay for it. I got it through Bethesda insiders, I was so happy when I saw they added it.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    There, after 15h I'm finished. Like many others said, the ending is quite lame.

The game was really solid though. It was a long time ago since I played a single player game for 8 hours straigt :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Specter, download the latest drivers linked a few posts above. Fixed most of my issues although it's still a bit laggy for some reason (I'm on a 5870 so lag shouldn't be an issue).

I got it to run on my hd4870, but very laggy, the only way i get to play it with no lags means that i have to deal with corrupt textures anywhere(Vending machine textures in npc faces for example)
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    9 hours in so far and loving it. I'm blown away by the graphics and how smooth the game runs (after a few cfg tweaks :/) No repeats! Anywhere! Ok, some baked bean tins and a few pipes are pretty low res but step back a little and you've got the best looking pc and console game of the year.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Irreal, there are definitely repeats everywhere. Concrete barriers, foliage, those parking pole things, pipe systems, entire rooms sometimes... Yesterday I even saw a wooden board where the texture repeated two times over it but the bolts on top of the texture were unique. Either those bolts were an overlay or that was just lazy texturing. I heard that each model needs unique texture space somewhere in here but I'm not sure if that was true. Maybe you meant something else by repeats?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Of course they are re-using assets... From what I understand thats the whole idea : Place props in your world the regular way, then dress it all up with stamping and painting.

I would guess that the repeating concrete barriers that you saw (macro) most likely have different dirt layers to blend them with the surrounding environment (micro). That's the beauty of it!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While that may be the way they did it for the main areas of the game the mission areas still had a lot of obvious repeats to me that didn't seem to be varied by overlays at all. It doesn't take anything away from the game and it's quite a small nitpick on such a beautifully crafted game. It just doesn't seem quite as consistently unique to me as some people think it is.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    16 hours in now, just noticed the polycount logo on the bar owner in the subway town! Awesome.

pclogoinrage.jpg
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Glad you guy's are having fun, and thanks for the compliments on the art. The team worked hard, and even if I am somewhat biased, I think we pulled off something gorgeous;). Sorry to those of you having issues with the game as the team is quite upset about it, and I hope it gets cleared up soon. I will hopefully be doing an art dump soon, so hope you guy's enjoy that as well:)

Spark
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw Spark, since you are an insider ... I'd love to suggest adding the option to distinguish between mouse and gamepad view invert. Pleeeeeeease :) I have to switch the option on and off whenever I pick up the controller (for driving and exploration), it breaks the immersion a little!

Anyways, back to it now ... so good ...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Spark, I think I speak for everybody when I say... ART DUMP, STAT.

Also, don't take all the texture crits to heart. Rage is the best looking thing I've ever laid eyes on, its stunning. Granted its not the best resolution, but the love that went into the world is mind boggling...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I want the hi-res texture pack Carmack hinted at. That'd make me very happy. Game is awesome tho, loads of fun, despite whatever numerous glitches I've now run into.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry for the lack of replies in here.. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks. The only computers I had access to are an iPad and a Commodore64 :)

Quick link drop, I just found this tonight. Really cool set of screenshots from fans

http://deadendthrills.com/collections/rage/

A few samples:

6228347928_2b43fea1e7_b.jpg
    6228379832_1bd803dcc7_b.jpg
    6228379832_1bd803dcc7_b.jpg
    6221525616_cc136a72f3_b.jpg
    6221003229_ab9973f18a_b.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished at 21 hours. Wow, just awesome. I'm so happy id got the game play right this time, amazing artwork every inch is a screenshot. Going to look for the walk through to see if I missed any side quests.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Widescreen can suffer pretty low textures still...
    even after new config and update. Not so bad with large monitors as jaggies are kept in peripheral vision. After the update it looks to me as if multi monitor first person is drawn correctly when using different fov ( commitment to native widescreen support? ).

46BD3568010E4DABD044489BA0223F5331FFEBA7

42D2537B83C93C33A9C34A22E9978D08B9F1AEED
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I just finished it this weekend (x360), Took me around 11-12 hours, did most of the side-missions , the only ones I didn't do all of was the "kill all bandit vehicles in the wasteland etc". Did all the races and won the hardest card game thing. I played on Normal, it was good. Didn't die a lot but the pacing was nice.

Really amazing graphics, love the atmosphere and the people. The only thing lacking would be the story I guess, never really felt like I cared at all. Overall I think the game was great, it felt old-school like Quake. :)
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    after some pc driver/config magic - I finally got it working (despite the tex popp and blurry textures sometimes), loving the feel and look - only just got into wellsprings..
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    damnit i played like an hour and forgot to save!!

now i need to start collecting the buggy parts again! :(

theres not enough ammo in that game O_O
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark wrote: »
    Glad you guy's are having fun, and thanks for the compliments on the art. The team worked hard, and even if I am somewhat biased, I think we pulled off something gorgeous;). Sorry to those of you having issues with the game as the team is quite upset about it, and I hope it gets cleared up soon. I will hopefully be doing an art dump soon, so hope you guy's enjoy that as well:)

Spark

your portfolio isnt working :P
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another problem i noticed in this game is the bandits

they dont let u check the models and textures peacefully, they keep shooting u and kill u

this is annoying.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, so, these are my issues wih the title and I hope these get fixed/changed. Now I LOVE the game, one of the best I've played this year, and stunning to boot. But I do have some gripes... Here be spoilers...

1) No continue play. What the shit, really? Not only as that THE worst ending in a game I've played for years, after THE worst level in the entire game, you don't let us go back...? So, that poses an issue... Mainly...

2)...that I can't finish off any races. I mean, Wellsprings is fine, but for some reason, all of Subway Towns races are closed... WHAT THE SHIT? Really?! Why? What use could that POSSIBLY serve? just allow us to save the game after its completed, and have us spawn back at Subway Town with the Authority gone? That way, I can get back and finish those races...

3) Cards. I don't mind these at all... But adding cards to locations that you will never be able to go to again? Soooooo poor an idea... So now I have that one card I forgot in The Well that leaves me at 49/50 cards or whatever it is (one shy), but I can't go back because for no reason at all, the well is locked... Theres no reason it should be locked. Once you complete the game, the ENTIRE THING should be open to go back and explore.

4) Driving... Sort it out guys. Terrible control? Check. Holding a button to look around when the mouse does NOTHING? Check. Slightly scraping a wall/car, and then having my car flip into the air and face the other way? CHECK. Ugh...

5) The multiplayer is balls. Sorry, I mean the Racing. Its shockingly bad. I played one game just to get the two achievements, and I will never touch that again. So poor. But the coop...

6)...is fantastic. Apart from the fact some idiot decided that if you play by yourself, achievements won't track. Why? What use does that serve, REALLY? If I want to beat it by myself, I should be allowed to, and THAT is an achievement...

7) Theres far, far, FAR too many places in the game that serve no purpose.... Other than to slap you in the face with a big "you mad bro?" smiley that whispers the words "DLC". Seriously, this place had me puzzled the entire game: http://steamcommunity.com/id/gavavva/screenshot/541781415171505484?tab=public

8) No zoom add on for the crossbow... That should be illegal... For shame, guys...

9) That last mission… Yes, again… Just why? Why, why why? It was so out of place? Why so high tech? Why so clean? Why so SHIT?

10) Mutants… I remember the tyre mutants from the videos, but now they seem to be very rare, huge mutants instead… I liked it better when we had a more in-between version.

11) Sort the damn console out… Ok, so if I enable it, then I can’t get achievements. Fine, that’s ok, no big deal. But when you enable it, it does nothing anyway. Wheres my damn cheats? NoClip? I NEED my noClip fix so I can’t see how this shits made…

12) Hire somebody who knows what the FUCK they are doing with quick saves. I lost hours progress just because I forgot to save, and the last autosave was ages ago… Every time you get mission update it should trigger an auto save…

13) THAT LAST MISSION WAS WANK.

Other than the above, the game is pretty damn amazing, and has set me back in art for about 75 years while I cry I will never, ever be that good.

Apart from those cans on that shelf… That just made me laugh.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree about the auto save, every modern game saves when you turn start/turn in a mission. On the pc it's not bad hitting F5 all the time, but my girlfriend is playing the 360 version and there is no quick save button. Looks painful having to enter the menu all the time just to make sure you don't lose progress.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    don't think my pc's good enough :/ I've enjoyed playing it but the blur on textures until they load in properly is really screwing my eyes and I start to feel weird playing for long. first time a game has made me feel queasy :(
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    I wonder if they developed some specific UV tools for asset creation. It really is a fascinating game to look at and dissect.

There's some simply awesome UV tools built in Modo for applying and managing world space UV's. Can't wait til the 64 bit .exe comes out with the tools for this.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Slum wrote: »
    Sorry for the lack of replies in here.. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks. The only computers I had access to are an iPad and a Commodore64 :)

Quick link drop, I just found this tonight. Really cool set of screenshots from fans

http://deadendthrills.com/collections/rage/

Confirmed. Best looking game. Oh man those rocks. Would love to see what the game looked like before textures got compressed.
  • Ani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    another problem i noticed in this game is the bandits

they dont let u check the models and textures peacefully, they keep shooting u and kill u

this is annoying.

Haha, agreed. I've played around 3 hours, but haven't got very far in the story at all - too busy looking at everything! Those dusty/sandy/rocky environments are especially impressive.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal wrote: »
    Confirmed. Best looking game. Oh man those rocks. Would love to see what the game looked like before textures got compressed.

Something like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRqRUWjTPtY&feature=related"]RAGE TRAILER - YouTube[/ame]
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really wish those sweet enemy introduction cinematics were in the actual game!! Such gorgeous animation ...
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Great game I got about 17 hours out of it by finishing most of the side quests. Well worth the money just for the art alone.
    The ending seemed really rushed, like they were really pressured to wrap up the game :(. Anyone notice a lot of similarities to Halflife2? In fact, I loved the little tribute with the can :)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    fuse quote (cant spoiler in quotes ? ??)
    I loved the little tribute with the can
    I know! I freaking love that!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    the id team did a fantastic job. I love this game.

I can only dream of being able to create such jaw dropping artwork.

My only real gripe is I wish it had a harder difficulty setting. I played from the beginning on nightmare and I felt like it wasn't even worth calling it a hard setting. I didn't really use much of my items simply because I didn't need them to survive. I blame the auto heal feature that seems to be the fps standard lately. I was really hoping that Rage would break that pattern.
    and that last map. . .what the hell?
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck wrote: »
    My only real gripe is I wish it had a harder difficulty setting.[/spoiler]

Are you playing on PC? I heard content is identical across platforms, and i that is the case, the kb/m players are punching below their weight. I'm playing an id game on Nightmare for the first time, and it feels like it should be about Normal. I'm guessing this will be one of the first mods, a proper difficulty curve for PC.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    When watching a mate of my play through it I noticed him doin the driving sections... by going to a dude in a town and getting teleported to a racetrack?

I can't be the only one who thinks this is such a strange missed opportunity for a game with a brilliant openworld vibe going on. Surely at least someone at id has played Burnout Paradise? That'd be such a fitting way to initiate races instead of arbitrarily goin to a dude... drive up to outposts/force exploration of this fucking awesome world!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just went through the defib mission in Dead City. There are some pretty stunning areas in it. A lot of the time I'd stop to look around at the art and dissect it a bit and some rascal would sneak up behind me.

On a separate note, one thing I'm not so much a fan of art wise is the foliage. The smaller foliage looks great from most distances and while driving but close up the repetition gets pretty obvious. Most of the foliage in the Wasteland seems to be made of the same 4-6 plants that all use the same plant texture. Also in some sections of Dead City there were entire medium trees that are just billboards using a translucent alpha so when you get within 10 or 15 feet you can pretty much see through the tree.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait... Tuco's Gold Grill is in the game? Where to find!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H90u7CTlebk"]RAGE Breaking Bad Easter Egg Cross Promotion - YouTube[/ame]
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't played an ID software game since Doom 3.

Honestly, aside from all due respect that/and what ID has brought knowing they started the FPS genre. I still don't see what makes ID "ID Software" to this day other than John Carmack's name, maybe considerable credit to the Mega-Texture tech.

I notice ID Software says big things like we hire the best professionals out there. But like any other game company that takes a stab at making a game look a certain way. I think ID software is way beyond their own ego at this point. Considering what I have heard from this game. I can rest assure at this point consider ID the least of my wanted lists of places I will ever wish to work for.

I mean the game looks cool, but the word "looks" is really as much as I consider ID's games going for. Their games haven't been at all inventive, just blended while being bland.

Meh enough rambling and ranting from me. I think i'm at a phase now where some big name companies really need to just shut up and make a good product and not hype it. Until the fans and customers themselves hype it for them.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, I enjoy it a lot, and it's in my humble opinion the most beautiful looking PC game ever; you can maybe even lose the 'PC' from that too. Everyone in the industry really has to take a look at this one.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    CrazyMatt wrote: »

Honestly, aside from all due respect that/and what ID has brought knowing they started the FPS genre. I still don't see what makes ID "ID Software" to this day other than John Carmack's name, maybe considerable credit to the Mega-Texture tech.

I notice ID Software says big things like we hire the best professionals out there. But like any other game company that takes a stab at making a game look a certain way. I think ID software is way beyond their own ego at this point. Considering what I have heard from this game. I can rest assure at this point consider ID the least of my wanted lists of places I will ever wish to work for.

I mean the game looks cool, but the word "looks" is really as much as I consider ID's games going for. Their games haven't been at all inventive, just blended while being bland.

Meh enough rambling and ranting from me. I think i'm at a phase now where some big name companies really need to just shut up and make a good product and not hype it. Until the fans and customers themselves hype it for them.

So you haven't played the game yet?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you need to experience it :) I duno, I haven't kept up with PC releases, but this one's really good IMHO.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess I gotta try it then and then get back to this thread :poly124:
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Give it a chance, the art is phenomenal, ai is really fantastic and varied and the rpg elements are tied in very nicely.

I have to echo pior and say that the shooting feels old school but in all the good ways. Haven't played a purer first person shooter like that since Halflife2.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe if gamers alike, didn't hype up the 'Alpha' stages of a game, before glorying the 'Beta' stages, this would curb publishers from putting so much cash into publicity of those parts of a game before it's even released.

At least, in Rages case, they were able to keep much of the mystery of the game. I enjoy playing a game not knowing what I'm about meet around the corner, before games got spoiled around every corner.

Ah crap, I ranted didn't I?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Its funny, ID hasn't developed a game since Doom 3 either. Coincidence?

Just to be clear, these are the games id has developed:
    Keen
    Wolf
    Doom1
    Doom2
    Quake1
    Quake2
    Quake3
    Doom3
    Rage

Raven and Splash Damage have developed other ID Ip's like Quake4, Wolf(latest "next gen" wolf), RTCW, ET: Quakewars, etc.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18

I'm honestly fine with those playing the game, then of course judging for themselves on whether or not they like it, but not even taking the time to play what you are critisizing is ridiculous. Calling id beyond egotistical, and then questioning the talent at the studio which I doubt you know even one?, then finally saying "id would be the least of your wanted places to ever work for"....heh. It's just sad that so many people take more time to knock what others do, than to appreciate the work in front of them, but I guess that is why it's the internet.

Spark