Home General Discussion

RAGE

Replies

• Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Jesus... I still haven't had time to really play gears 3, or even open Deus Ex, and RAGE is next week? How the hell am I gonna find the time??!! Maybe if I broke my leg, and had to be stuck in bed for a couple months...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Mcejn wrote: »
    3 discs long? Now I'm interested.

TWO. Ones for MP.

Also, while I will NEVER get to the level of terrain detail they can, I have to say... That sniper rifle texture stands out so poorly, its almost like the weapons were designed for a cartoon game then shoved into a semi realistic one... I can't be the only person who feels that?
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Ya I felt that too, the sniper rifle almost look like its from borderlands.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    Jesus... I still haven't had time to really play gears 3, or even open Deus Ex, and RAGE is next week? How the hell am I gonna find the time??!! Maybe if I broke my leg, and had to be stuck in bed for a couple months...

Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, Skyrim..things are going to get more hectic in November :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I'm thinking I might have to be sequestered a weekend or two. No girlfriend, no housework, and since on the weekend, no job. That might be the only way I can make through any of these.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    In Helder's video, I see homages to Donkey Kong, Bioshock and Abe's Odyssey.

I'm very much looking forward to this game.
  • mastershokhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful environment work!! I'm going to love spraying blood all over it. Dynamite Bolt are glorious!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ace Combat comes out the same day too, I think...but I think I'm the only one excited for that
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    id Tech 5 is going to be so exciting to play with, and as a modo user I'm especially interested in how modo ties into the editor and pipeline.

They still using Radiant these days? I haven't played with their tools since Quake 3.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Hrm, is that Sniper Rifle cel shaded?

Environment looks astounding.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I had a good look and played a bit of Rage at the Eurogamer Expo. I was VERY impressed. Probably best looking game of the show in my eyes (although there were others close behind).
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    it looks fkn awesome
    im gonna finish that O_O
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, anyone knows why it is not possible to preorder the anarchy edition on amazon.co.uk?

There aren't any review of previews of this game out, isn't it? I would like to hear how long is the single player before preordering... mmmh
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Worked for me.

But anyway, just pre order rage now and you'll get the anarchy edition anyway.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I think that reviews of the game will be out next week on the day before or day of the release. Looking forward to it, as honestly this has been the best game in my career to have worked on:)

Spark
  • azarkiowa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    azarkiowa polycounter lvl 8
    There seem to be a couple different versions, I'm gonna try and get this one:
    http://collectorsedition.org/game-db/rage-special-edition-pc-dvd-rom

Environments look amazing... that gameplay vid in the mountains blew me away.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Wait you get an actual wingstick with that...?

Argh... That would have looked so boss above my computer...

EDIT: NM, just saw it, lucky escape I didn't get that..... Thing.....
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Preload available on steam! Can't wait!!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    got my copy loading..seems like Its been a long time coming..congrats to all involved..if nothing else can be said ..this is at the very least a very beautiful game..I'm sure it'll be awesome
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    This game looks like a beautiful painting at very shot. The uniqueness of every single pixel really sets the visuals apart artistically. Beautiful work Brett!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    can't wait! good thing there is a preload . . .21.5 gb dl.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    i really hope the steam version doesn't force you to use GFWL :( waiting to see, before I choose between PC and PS3
  • tRens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tRens polycounter lvl 18
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    RRRAGE! in 2 hours!
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hm rage whatever works.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    less than an hour to go, yay!

Beautiful game and the early reviews have been very good! Congrats to all of you have worked on it.

RAGING momentarily! ;-)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    decrypitng!!!!
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh no! It crashes before loading. Win 7 x64 w/ ATI Radeon

I was excited all day... total bummer.
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how widespread it is (a lot of people are complaining about this on the Steam forums), but the texture pop-in is so bad that it's just not playable; it's way too distracting. As soon as I turn, all the textures begin being switched out, and it looks nasty.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, checked the Steam forum and there's an ATI/AMD driver specifically for Rage.

Also getting the texture pop-in issue, looks like just about everybody is. Hopefully it will be sorted out by tomorrow, I'm tempted to still play but it looks horrendous.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PC version seems fubar for now, but the console ones run flawless. Hopefully we'll see a patch soon.

EDIT: Working for me now, steam downloaded a small update and I seem to be able to launch it now. Running on a 560ti, so far everything's ok :)
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    I found that _disabling_ SLI mode for those of you with 2 gfx cards will significantly improve overall performance and virtually eliminate the texture pop.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Expectations are trhough the roof on this one, so a few reviewers can't manage to feel impartial by it.

Anyway, GT review is out: 9/10
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-rage/721726?

HD version is broken, it stops halfway trough, try this:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-rage/721725
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    No offense but this game looks almost like Borderlands. There is a very minor change. =\

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CwOUJ7Xn9U"]Borderlands: Gameplay Trailer 1 [HQ] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DcKLmZYWFw"]Rage gameplay #1 [HD] - YouTube[/ame]
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    grr have to wait here another 2 days....
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Lets look at the broader picture, Nitewalkr... considering its development length and that it was announced in 2007 - 2 years PRIOR to Borderlands i'd say that they had their own clear vision, UNLIKE borderlands which likes to be "inspired" by ;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuMYCpZRQX0"]CODEHUNTERS Hi-Res THX (Altered Version) - YouTube[/ame]

without mentioning it until they were confronted about its similarities.

Overall I see some common themes in that theyre post apocalyptic with vibrant and unique characters but in terms of gameplay I dont really get the borderlands comparison.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i'm getting tired of seeing Rage being compared to Borderlands and Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic game, what do you expect it to look like? Rainbows and daffodils?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    Yeah i'm getting tired of seeing Rage being compared to Borderlands and Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic game, what do you expect it to look like? Rainbows and daffodils?

O.O

No. Than again, there are many ways to approach the post apocalyptic concept for a game. =\

Aside from one head shots (Which you cant in borderlands even if you have the sniper rifle).

But hay, I didnt mean to troll nor I intend to. I just wanted to know if its any different from Borderlands, which practically it isnt.

I'll wait for the post release reviews before I buy it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'd say that borderlands has more RPG elements whereas Rage is more of a typical FPS, this would make a big difference to how weapons handle when you are "proficient" in them.

Also, are we talking aesthetics or gameplay?

Is there a significant leveling mechanic in Rage?
    Does damage depend on weapon or accuracy? (Borderlands is more akin to WoW for gear)
    Borderlands was more about the mulitplayer/coop experience.
    Enemy levels change how the game can be approached.

Aesthetically i think its pretty fucking impressive in its own right, and if youre basing some of your comparisons on this then please stop.

Lets hope yahtzee reviews it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    seasoned fps players should play on nightmare for pc, no question. i also like to drop the volume for the (overly theatrical) voice acting to put the effects/gunfire a little more forward in the mix.

fought through the first sewer dungeon, the one with the old guy warning you off until you're ready, on the way back from the first quest (so still only had the pistol). first legitimately challenging and fun fight, those mutants scramble everywhere and in a group of three, one is almost always trying to get behind you. good panicky fun, gets the blood pumping like the old days. and once the game gets going the texture pop-in gets a lot less noticeable

once the game first starts however the pop-in is breathtakingly in your face. completely unbelievable that any view adjustment from the game's starting location, and i mean any view adjustment, results in crazy pop-in. look down, look up (i mean like 30 degrees, not all the way up or down), look left, look right. if this is the way the tech works, who thought it best to not have the very first room not sit more comfortably in memory?
    (before you ask, i have a 560ti and i forced high quality video options with the nv control panel, as rage has no video options at all)
    as mentioned, while actually playing the game later pop-in seems a lot less noticeable but generally speaking no less extreme. game does itself no favors by giving the player little else but a spotlight of just how pronounced the effect is in the start room. there is nothing to do in the very first room but to hear an obvious, canned speech from the president, and stare at the pop-in. it gets better from that point on but first impressions and all, geez
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Holy shit, how did they ship the PC version with these textures? Characters and weapons are good, but some of this environment work is just inexcusable for an iD game. Look at the character and then at the pipes on the right - it looks like art from two different games, and one of them was made in 2001.

2011-10-04_00004.jpg

I wasn't expecting the best looking game in history, but wow.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wonder if its a bug in the texture steaming or something...
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lmao @ people saying it looking like borderlands.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    lmao @ people saying it looking like borderlands.

Because It does. God, dont you guys analyze the game from user's prospective. I know it is a hard work for those who have created the Rage and yes it may turn out to be very different from Borderlands, but right now, just sit back and watch both videos I've posted and you will see many similarities. =\
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    borderlands is first person diablo, floating numbers and grinding weapons and all, wrapped in a fps skin. at the fundamental level rage is a shooter; the game doesnt fuck with gun accuracy or make them magically do less or more damage when you pick up a palette swapped version of the same gun.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »

disappointed in this post. i expect close-ups of bad looking areas from casual gamers, but not from people who do this professionally. we all know that you can take awful screenshots of the best looking games out there.

if there is anyone on the planet capable of understanding how the game looks like it looks like, largely because of the particular demands/limitations of the idtech5/megatexture technology, it should be polycounters. this game looks better than anything else out there, but under certain conditions and certain ranges. other games are better invested in making sure the textures/polygons are there for small details in your face like those pipe models, but few games rival the overall art quality of scene after scene you're presented with in this game.

now, that said, the apparent lack of any detail textures at all is another kettle of fish entirely. if we're going to have "that conversation" (no doubt already taken place several times over the course of this thread), let's do it on our terms. as professionals--actual or aspirational.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Holy shit, how did they ship the PC version with these textures? Characters and weapons are good, but some of this environment work is just inexcusable for an iD game. Look at the character and then at the pipes on the right - it looks like art from two different games, and one of them was made in 2001.

2011-10-04_00004.jpg

From Wikipedia: "...Carmack also stressed a number of times that the PC version would possibly get a "super quality texture pack" to fix low-resolution(blurry) textures that Rage suffers at the shipping dataset which is identical to console counterparts. He admitted that artists were sad because a combination of multiple professional compression solutions necessary to fit the ~150 GB internal build to a shippable product of 25 GB, on three dual-layer DVDs or one single-layer BD."

So, I hope you got the PC version...!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Is it wrong if the oen thing that REALLY bothers me in that shot isn't the texture resolution (5 pixels for a 6 inch tall trim? Fuck...) its that the world is casting a shadow that doesn't influence player models... At all. Look at the foot, the shadow from the pipe just goes right through it :(

I love the over all detail we get from mega texture, its stunning, and when you view scenes as a whole its quite breath taking... But low resolution muddy textures with no dynamic lighting and poor shadowing... I can't help but feel if this tech is a litle too early for us at the moment.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like it's pulling the wrong mip-map out for some reason. I can't imagine the game texture is really that low. The lack of shadowing on animated skeletal meshes is a bit worrying.

Edit: Also the shadow casting from the character and the environment seem to be from different sources, or is that just me?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    ambershee wrote: »
    Edit: Also the shadow casting from the character and the environment seem to be from different sources, or is that just me?

Well, one is shadow map, the other is lightmaps, right? Unfortunately it's the problem you have when working with lightmaps.

Also, it's very very easy to forget that the game is running at 60FPS at all times guys! Some things gotta give in... and it shows.