Home General Discussion

RAGE

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Because It does. God, dont you guys analyze the game from user's prospective. I know it is a hard work for those who have created the Rage and yes it may turn out to be very different from Borderlands, but right now, just sit back and watch both videos I've posted and you will see many similarities. =\

WHY?! are you getting your nipples in a twist!?
    If there is any similarities it's in the colors but that it dood. I can respect RAGE as well because it feels more original than borderlands which was an obvious rip off of that "code hunters". I watched both video's and it doesn't even look like it plays the same. I mean it runs at a smooth 60FPS. :)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No game is perfect. Basically everygame made has flaws, but some hide it better than others.

The Assassins Creed games are great, but they have had more clipping/AA issues than any game I've played I think. But I still love them. It does bother me, but the games are so massive, so some of that is expected for the time they have. But I do wish they would fix that stuff in the future.

The main issue with all of these bugs and issues is publishers pushing to get games out the door as fast as humanly possible. I'm sure all of these bugs were noticed, and the artists hate the fact it cant be fixed, but it had to be let go for one reason or many.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Thematically, visually, RAGE does look like Borderlands. You can boil both game's visual themes to futuristic cowboys in the desert.

What's lol-worthy is that some people might think there's something wrong with that.

If you don't like the idea of this looking like other references, you should probably not be quoting either of these games and go right back to Mad Max instead :)

Other than that, damn I'm looking forward to this game. Go, go, UK release!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    gauss wrote: »
    disappointed in this post. i expect close-ups of bad looking areas from casual gamers, but not from people who do this professionally. we all know that you can take awful screenshots of the best looking games out there.

if there is anyone on the planet capable of understanding how the game looks like it looks like, largely because of the particular demands/limitations of the idtech5/megatexture technology, it should be polycounters. this game looks better than anything else out there, but under certain conditions and certain ranges. other games are better invested in making sure the textures/polygons are there for small details in your face like those pipe models, but few games rival the overall art quality of scene after scene you're presented with in this game.

now, that said, the apparent lack of any detail textures at all is another kettle of fish entirely. if we're going to have "that conversation" (no doubt already taken place several times over the course of this thread), let's do it on our terms. as professionals--actual or aspirational.

I don't do this professionally, so I've got that going for me. That said, believe me that I'm not cherry-picking for a bad example to show you - the game is rife with blocky, low-res texture work. None of the demo videos or stills I saw prior to release look like what's showing up on my screen. Blankslatejoe's quote from wikipedia tells me I'm not just being picky. The id team wouldn't be considering a super texture pack if they felt the shipped textures were up to par. It literally does look like console resolution textures have been ported directly to the PC. I understand that they can't stuff 150gb of DVDs into every boxed copy they sell, but I'm not satisfied with the game I've purchased looking so much less polished than the one that was advertised.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    not everyone got a pc with 5ghz cpu and 24gb memory
    with games that have that level of details and also important to have high fps rate for the company who makes it

compromising must be made

having the option to d/l a high res pack is awesome, so everyone is happy
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I noticed the borderlands similarity as well but no need to RAGE about it! Borderlands went stylized because they wanted to differentiate the game from Rage and then Rage comes out looking a little more stylized then we expected. Since most of us aren't 14 any more there's no need for "MY VIDEO GAME CAN BEAT UP YOUR VIDEO GAME" kind of talk.

I take in the whole view when playing games - Rage looks beautiful, that pipe example seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Maybe it was scaled up from the original asset, stuff like that happens.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    I don't do this professionally, so I've got that going for me. That said, believe me that I'm not cherry-picking for a bad example to show you - the game is rife with blocky, low-res texture work. None of the demo videos or stills I saw prior to release look like what's showing up on my screen. Blankslatejoe's quote from wikipedia tells me I'm not just being picky. The id team wouldn't be considering a super texture pack if they felt the shipped textures were up to par. It literally does look like console resolution textures have been ported directly to the PC. I understand that they can't stuff 150gb of DVDs into every boxed copy they sell, but I'm not satisfied with the game I've purchased looking so much less polished than the one that was advertised.
    What I see here is that Rage is a game that is about the larger picture rather than the individual textures. Sure, look directly at a specific wall and it might look low res and blocky and make you sad. But pan your camera up and take in the scene as a whole - often times, it's breath taking.

Rage has some really solid looking environment design and I think I'm going to break my screen shot key by the time I finish it. My reference folder will be HUGE.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I've been reading there is a lot of issues with the game runnin on ATI Radeon video cards. With weird grid on the character textures, and some other issues. That and the fact that there is really no tweaking the game settings.

ragegrid.jpg

Some of the issues and bugs found so far in the game via Steam.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2154053

Issues:
    No Custom settings for Video Cards
    No Console command Read here to enable the console key: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum….php?t=2154191 & via config file here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum…7&postcount=89
    No Vsync options – Results in screen tearing – Forcing Vsync causes the game to crash the drivers and game(AMD)
    Unable to skip intros??? To disable the intro videos put this “+set com_skipIntroVideo 1″ in the launch options of Rage Via Steam.
    Mouse acceleration?
    Can’t use Crossfire or SLI..
    Bad FoV for PC’s – Short-term solution: FOV adjustment howto

Bugs:
    Texture Streaming is bad and slow resulting in always reloading the same textures thus causing the textures popping in effect – [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Ch6TX-Cbs&hd=1"]RAGE, console port at its finest. - YouTube[/ame]
    Missing/blinking textures…
    Game crashes when exiting the Arc.
    LoD issues(popins dispersing items)
    Crashing after intro video
    Audio stuttering and not blending properly.
    Occasional Artifacts appearing- http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9…0322215294.jpg
    Low Frame rates with occasional fps spikes
    Loading saves causes videocard drivers to crash…
    Game Fails to start with error code #51.
  • mrrogers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrrogers polycounter lvl 18
    The "grid" on characters is a shadow tech issue causing artifacts to appear across edges of the mesh. This happens in BlackOps and to a degree in MW3 (m0ar idtech). Tweaking your shadow options in your graphics card's control panel should eliminate those kind of issues.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    So let me get this straight, magazines are giving rage low scores because they didn't get an rpg?
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Eld, have you seen the Gamasutra interview on id/RAGE? It's ridiculous..video game journalism has gone down the drain (with the exception of a few reviewers)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, magazines are giving rage low scores because they didn't get an rpg?

I haven't played it yet but I'm a bit shocked, it seems like the narrative since we found out there were vehicles was that Rage was open world and had "RPG elements".
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Checked it out some today, the environments actually look fantastic. Megatextures definitely looks nice, but my god...that cache pop
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I dont rly get why so many people expected an rpg. This is id, not Bethesda.

My only gripe with the game is how static the world is.
    But I wish every game had the crazy attention to detail and such diverse and crafty enemies.

Id say this is my second best game of 2011, (first is deus ex 3... of course).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    I dont rly get why so many people expected an rpg. This is id, not Bethesda.

My only gripe with the game is how static the world is.
    But I wish every game had the crazy attention to detail and such diverse and crafty enemies.

Id say this is my second best game of 2011, (first is deus ex 3... of course).

I actually expected something as open world and rpg-ish as Borderlands.

I hate to keep bringing up the comparison but you don't develop games in a vacuum - if you say a game will be a post apocalyptic shooter with vehicle combat, rpg elements and you release videos of the player driving along a seemingly open world, that bar has been set by Borderlands.

I'm not saying they should of made it more rpg-ish, I'm saying it's the marketing department's job to shape their customer's expectations.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Downloading at home right now, and picking up the 360 version later today! so stoked to play it! Its a shame a lot of reviewers seem to be jaded, but waddayagonnado. RAGE is a huge accomplishment and I'm super excited to check it out.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Sometimes I get a drop in framerates and sometimes it runs smooth, but in any case its a great game so far (2 hrs in) I am sick of reviewers now a days. I buy what I wanna play and what I find enjoyable. Just like Dead Island. All that matters is what you want and not what the reviewer wants.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game runs great for me... but damn these textures are low res... like SUPER low res... almost iphone res or something. But my biggest complaint is the Mipping of the textures. If you turn the camera even somewhat quickly in any direction, all I see is pop-in. Disappointing.. well and the fact that there ain't really any graphics options, except for Anti Aliasing.

Edit: Im running 64bit Win 7 as well, with GTX570 1.25GB, 8GB ram, and Core 2 Quad 2.67Ghz

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/rage-pc-players-experiencing-laggy-textures-and-low-framerates/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    to say that a game is disappointing because of some low res textures is to act like a jaded douche. I'm sorry but try looking at the game objectively... the art, the level design, the environment work.... it's gorgeous as a whole.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I've heard it's super buggy on PC. Which scares me. into not buying it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Buggy pc releases seem to be the norm now. Release a buggy game and do some major patches after a month :\
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I actually expected something as open world and rpg-ish as Borderlands.

I hate to keep bringing up the comparison but you don't develop games in a vacuum - if you say a game will be a post apocalyptic shooter with vehicle combat, rpg elements and you release videos of the player driving along a seemingly open world, that bar has been set by Borderlands.

I'm not saying they should of made it more rpg-ish, I'm saying it's the marketing department's job to shape their customer's expectations.

But then they would've said it was an rpg with shooter elements.

Magazines shouldn't be setting scores on what they thought a games genre was, they should set it for the game itself, and rage has more in common with games like bioshock and metro2032 than it has with fallout3 and borderlands, as it is a shooter game with light rpg elements.

I would say people should read up more than just make the connections themselves.
    Getting bought up by bethesda probably didn't help illusion some might have had of what kind of a game rage is.

But when you get something like a magazine like joystiq pushing the game at 60/100 not for the fact of the game being bad, but because it wasn't an rpg, that's just silly.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I agree. I know I don't rely on any reviews from any site or magazine, cause really they're all crap. They're just one persons opinion, and if they don't have the same taste I do, why would I listen to what they have to say on a game?

But the fact is, there's a LOT of people who do read those reviews, and do take those numbers as something that means something. A low number means they won't buy the game, and obviously that's gonna hurt the devs. This gives the reviewers MUCH more power than they deserve. I think more people need to learn to think for themselves, and stop giving a shit about numbers, like they mean anything... But that's too much to ask from some people, I guess
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I never go by the number. I just read the closing comments and hear their impression on the game. Then i come and see what people write about their experience here or on PC Gamer. I rather ask questions on things i think are bothering me, or share my exp with the game than base my whole perspective on a number.

I do have to say that just because a game is released on PC, that the norm is to patch it in the next couple of weeks or 1st month. The game should come out when its finished and not have this many technical issues. Isn't that why there are beta tests? I know computers range in so many ways, but to have so many issues with Radeon cards is just a warning at how much time they really spend making the game on the pc. They are original PC developers, i wanna get this game on PC because i want to believe it belongs there where i can make it look 100x better than on the 360 and play with people that are not 13 years old raving about CoD. But ports that are like this with just limited options is a little shameful when they develop so many games for PC in the first place. Didn't they learn from Crysis 2?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but is it any FUN?

I keep seeing people talk about how great the game is in relation to the visuals, or how bad it is in relation to the visuals.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator

"All - don't use the current Rage performance driver - package includes very old OGL files, that's why you're seeing corruption etc."

"New Rage driver with proper OGL component will be posted later today"

not gonna comment til I get all the AMD bullshit worked out
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    eld wrote: »

Gametrailers.com give it a positive 9.0 rating despite the dry writing/acting because they were "surprised it included deep rpg elements" into the game.

Go figure?

But they also claim in the review that they forced themselves to preview the game as little as possible for a "fresh" review.

download manually this HD version which is supposedly corrupt otherwise.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-rage/721725

21 gig install! ouch...
    my 256 gig ssd is mad at me.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    but is it any FUN?

I keep seeing people talk about how great the game is in relation to the visuals, or how bad it is in relation to the visuals.

damm artists
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's fun, I played last night for about an hour. The controls feel "floaty" like there is not proper weight or movement speed to your controls. That combined with the narrow console FOV makes you feel awkward and cumbersome, but maybe I am biased and too acclimated to Source games.

Overall disappointed in the texture popping and low framerate, not a good launch, they should have tested with more diverse hardware (they should know better). I won't continue playing until they patch the texture issues and screen tearing, it's extremely distracting and takes you out of the immersion. The "automated" video settings clearly do not work like they anticipated, not for PCs anyway. Give us our console and video settings back and everyone will be happy.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its fun, im not saying its a bad game. I just expected more for a PC version. At least, not constantly seeing mipping textures anytime I move the camera.

The art is very nice, but the textures are so low rez, you cant even see the detail put into some of it because its just a muddy blur.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suppose this is what they get for using Unreal Engine!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    um... Rage uses Id Teck 5... not UDK.

Just fyi, all the environments of the game use the same texel density. Thats why smaller objects seems to have blurry textures wheras the larger objects (like cliff faces) seem so sharply detailed.
  • bounchfx
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meaning that all uv's/textures are scaled based on their size in the world. So you cant make a coke bottle that has as much detail as a vehicle since the bottle is so much smaller.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I thought this was going to have RPG elements, too.

In every video I've seen, you're taking quests off've NPCs. That's usually conducive to the game having role playing elements.

Not really all that bothered that it's not, though.

Do you get to upgrade your weapons? I'm sure there was talk of atleast some "iterative improvement" thing being part of it.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    meaning that all uv's/textures are scaled based on their size in the world. So you cant make a coke bottle that has as much detail as a vehicle since the bottle is so much smaller.

This is pretty cool, and it works pretty well. Some people say it's ahead of it's time, and I understand where they are coming from with this argument, simply because we needed to have a lot more buffer, and way bigger hard drives to enjoy the game like It's meant to. (visually)

Regarding the UV density, the cherry on top of the cake would be the ability to have tilling detail normal maps to break some of the blurriness.
  • glynnsmith
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That doesn't make sense - the screenshots of pixelated textures are showing mismatched texel densities.

A game with the same texel density overall would look pretty sweet but everyone says I'm crazy when I call for that.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    That doesn't make sense - the screenshots of pixelated textures are showing mismatched texel densities.

A game with the same texel density overall would look pretty sweet but everyone says I'm crazy when I call for that.

He means environments only!

Characters and weapons are allocated differently from the env mega texture allocation so they always stay sharper, since a character or a weapon is usually more important than a pipe! :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    He means environments only!

Characters and weapons are allocated differently from the env mega texture allocation so they always stay sharper, since a character or a weapon is usually more important than a pipe! :P

I'm an environment artist, characters and weapons aren't more important :P I'm always arguing for character and environments to meet in the middle with texel density.

Also I thought that pipe looked like it was lower texel density than some of the other environment props - texel density is defined by how you UV and the size of the texture you use - how is it defined by the megatexture?
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    texel density is defined by how you UV and the size of the texture you use - how is it defined by the megatexture?

That's where you are getting it wrong. Whereas this concept applies to all of us, if you want a certain area of your prop to have more density you will increase the UV size of those shells, or you will just tile that area of the asset, but with idtech5, due to the mega texture, they NEED to uniquely unwrap all the assets. The texel density is decided by the mega texture system, it analyzes the bounding box size of your asset, and it will attribute a xxx*xxx space to the mega texture.

I hope I'm getting this right, but roostermap can correct me if I'm wrong! :)
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... now it's almost unplayable on my end. I didn't change a thing, but now I get constant screen tearing when I play. I went to BF3 Beta quick to see if it was a graphics card issue, but the game runs fine. Go back to Rage, textures poping and screen tearing like crazy.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It sux that PC gamers are always getting the shaft. :(
  • low odor
  • ebagg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg, that makes me cry, I'm doing higher texel density art on a low spec MMO for kids.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    "edit double post": my God .... just like Real player video streaming
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    luke wrote: »

LUKE!! You really need to stop watching those annoying Yogscast kiddies lol.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18