Home General Discussion

RAGE

Replies

• RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turns out their plans changed, the SDK didn't come with the game, but it is coming to Steam soon.

Only x64 Windows can run id studio though.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I seem to remeber Carmack saying there wouldn't be modding in his keynote from quakecon, something about the amount of effort it would take to work with the megatextures is more than most people would want to deal with. Or something like that anyway. I guess if it was just a Halo/Farcry 2 style editor where you just make new maps with existing assets it would be fine.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember that too. He said something about the processing of the megatextures takes monstrous amounts of computing power and it's not going to be doable for most people anyway.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    its just another thing to bake, just like lighting, I'd hope there is preview settings that work well and quick enough for a normal user.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there was, I'm sure he would have mentioned it. :)
  • Carl Brannstrom
    I don't know if I'm just lucky, but RAGE has been more or less flawless for me! Everything is really smooth and nice. The textures were a bit blurry in the first place but then I just added the new cfg lines nVidia posted and now it looks just fantastic!

I'm 3hours in and I can just say that I really love the whole feeling of the game, the environments, characters, sound - just great!
    The only thing I don't like is that the characters just take too much damage before they die. Non or low armored enemies take like 3-5 shots before they go down.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Seems that the reason I was crashing on load before was that I was trying to go in the wrong area and instead of having the door locked or saying it's for a future mission it just decided to crash on load... I'm still having some slight framerate issues on the high configuration I have set up (I have a 5870 so I would think it would be fine...) but it's much better than letting it auto-detect settings. I'm getting strange freezing every now and then though. It freezes for a few seconds and all sounds start to fade out like it's going to crash but then it pops back in.

Other than the technical issues I've had I'm enjoying it though. I wouldn't have expected id to release such an unstable product though, especially after saying that they were spending some extra time the last few months making sure the PC version is polished and stable.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I had to stop a few times to take screenshots.... this game is just beautiful :

amazing1.jpg

2011-10-07_00002.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started getting flickering characters now...
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well I don't know what I did right, but on my work machine the game has none of the problems mentioned above! I can spot popping textures if I really look for them (that is to say, after a super quick 180 turn) but does it really count ?

Also ... since I ended up owning a physical copy of the PC version after exchanging the 360 one (gamepad handling made me kinda sick! haha), I installed the game from the disc, not from steam. Maybe that got the whole cache thing installed properly, and better presets added to the inis ?
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Running fine for me too.. Was mipping a bit at first but after using ID's start up settings from kotaku it's been fine. You can see it if you really want to break it, but nothing that is detracting from the overall experience..

The shooting feels good and the slight rpg crafting features make it feel a lot deeper. I am in love with the sentry bot, he's so darn cute.

The visuals are stunning, the amount of love given to every pixel on the screen is just a pleasure. There isn't much impressive dynamic light extravaganza but it runs so smoothly and made so lovingly... Very impressive.

A few nitpics would be that some animations and lip syncing feels a bit stiff and old fashioned. Some npc's are animated and synced very nicely, while others are a bit wooden.

The AI is quite good.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like they put alot effort into areas that for the past few years have gone stale.

AI is actually good, when you remember the AI is not cheating like other games (EI: spawning next to the player like in DS2 and FR1), kudos must be given.

The animations of the character IN the environment is really well done, you don't feel that awkward slip and slide which happens with transitional/blending animations in other games.

The RPG-esque elements, and the way they're executed is very well done also. Not Borderlandish enough where a head-shot doesn't constitute a kill, but nor too rigid where you can simply run and gun everything if you're playing casual.

All in all, very strong game, the only problem I have is that I feel this game, for all the Vista's it has, feels short...if that makes any sense.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I found out that what was causing the characters to flicker black was something in my custom config so I went back to just using whatever the game decided to use. Started getting some screen tearing, extra lag, and the game crashed the next time it went to a load screen.

I'm just going to wait for a patch...
  • Sevv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought Rage yesterday, really good game! Just wanted to say thank you to this thread for fixing 95% of my texture popping... just as it should be now. Shame on id :)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156408

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryK2PErQQc"]RAGE PC Framerate and Texture Pop-In Fixes (Creating Cache Folders and Tweaking Settings) - YouTube[/ame]

Those two links are what fixed it for me.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Wish they made a demo so I could see how it feels on my rig :(
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    frell wrote: »
    Wish they made a demo so I could see how it feels on my rig :(

Dude just get it! The game is awesome and fun
    I don't have any crash problems and the textures popping doesnt bothering me much either
    I do have pretty powerful machine so maybe that's why but now I'm gonna go over this thread
    And see if I can make it even better with all the fixes ppl posted here

But overall it's a game u shouldnt miss

I'm having fun xD
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Thought this game was going to be a tech demo with no fun, turns out it's awesome. I like the driving once you get a car, the races are fun, all the ripped elements from Borderlands are fun, art is amazing, shooting feels good. Eight hours in so far, really enjoying the game. Love the universe and story so far. Playing on pc and forcing the texture pages to 8192. Game generally looks exactly the same as Xbox 360, with a lot of texture stream issue. You have to get under the hood on the pc version if you want to enjoy it visually. I hope there are DLC missions.

force 8192 texture pages with a config file.

force no screen tearing in catalyst control center.

8x antialiasing from the game menu.
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm wrote: »
    Thought this game was going to be a tech demo with no fun, turns out it's awesome. I like the driving once you get a car, the races are fun, all the ripped elements from Borderlands are fun, art is amazing, shooting feels good. Eight hours in so far, really enjoying the game. Love the universe and story so far. Playing on pc and forcing the texture pages to 8192. Game generally looks exactly the same as Xbox 360, with a lot of texture stream issue. You have to get under the hood on the pc version if you want to enjoy it visually. I hope there are DLC missions.

force 8192 texture pages with a config file.

force no screen tearing in catalyst control center.

8x antialiasing from the game menu.

can u tell me how to do that?
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    It seems the issues are 'inadequate driver support from AMD and Nvidia'...
    http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/id-tech-5-project/1199038p1.html
    ... here is Bethesda's official blog with the latest drivers and suggestions:
    http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/10/07/playing-rage-on-pc/
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the link Sebas. Wouldn't have found it otherwise and it looks like those new AMD drivers will fix most of the issues I've been having.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    can u tell me how to do that?

Pick the one that fits your graphic card:
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156408

Rageconfig.cfg should go here:
    \Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HP, thanks for that link looks like ATI has released yet another new driver which will hopefully fix my flickering NPC's. And even though it says in that nVidia config hack that you can't turn on 8k texture pages unless you have 1.5gig of gpu memory, works totally fine on my radeon 5850 with only 1gig so don't be scared to try out, no problems so far.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys,
    At an early stage of the game when you select your suit was a little confusing and unclear. The last suit is said to be the best of both worlds, but then it would make the first few options useless, no? Unless it logically combines partial bonuses in all categories.

also
    I beat the giant mutant boss fight but didn't happen to find a card collectible for my playing deck, is it aquired at some point later?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in awe every time I drive under an rock arch. A real ode to baked lighting ... The realtime shadows multiplying over the baked ones don't bother me one bit, it's all so gorgeous.

This games feels like an old friend somehow - I love that feeling. I also think they did a great writing job with the first guy saving you and giving you the first missions.

Only down for me is the animation style of the friendly NPCs - they looks so broken and stiff. Enemies are just fantastic, but the town guys move hands and shake heads when they shouldn't - very odd stuff especially when you compare it to other games from last year or so establishing great standards like MGS4, Bayonetta or Vanquish.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it is confusing, that fancy suit that makes the other 3 useless is actually an upgrade if you bought the anarchy edition, you also get spiked gloves, the rat rod buggy and the Mad Max shotgun to start the game with. Thing is, I never bought the anarchy edition and yet my pc version of the game still came with all that stuff? Also there was no option to buy 360 version standard, only anarchy?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I wish i could play without errors, first time that i really got problems with my ATI card, i guess it´s time to switch
  • Carl Brannstrom
    If you pre-odered you automatically get Anarchy edition.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Specter, download the latest drivers linked a few posts above. Fixed most of my issues although it's still a bit laggy for some reason (I'm on a 5870 so lag shouldn't be an issue).
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    I am in awe every time I drive under an rock arch. A real ode to baked lighting ... The realtime shadows multiplying over the baked ones don't bother me one bit, it's all so gorgeous.

This games feels like an old friend somehow - I love that feeling. I also think they did a great writing job with the first guy saving you and giving you the first missions.

Only down for me is the animation style of the friendly NPCs - they looks so broken and stiff. Enemies are just fantastic, but the town guys move hands and shake heads when they shouldn't - very odd stuff especially when you compare it to other games from last year or so establishing great standards like MGS4, Bayonetta or Vanquish.

Ditto, the only npc that's animated well is the asian shopkeep in wellspring, but I suppose that's due to him being one of the earlier characters displayed in the demo years ago. Everyone other non essential npc looks like he/she were made from one base mesh and are animated quite stiff.

Malcolm: That figures! But I never preordered the game on steam. I still recieved all of the anarchy edition bonuses when I purchased the game post release. Weird bug I guess, but I'll live with it :) ...

Baked lighting be damned, environments are just stellar. Unfortunately as I played through some of the areas demoed in gameplay trailers I noticed that the texture quality suffered in compression. You notice it in any indoor area with weird banding,pixelation in dark areas. It's not a big deal but I guess it's a victim of having to compress hundreds of gigabytes of data. They were downright blurry in some of the dead city areas. That said, the pc download is already over 20gb's
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Ugh want this game so bad :S But I spent the money on RO2, and the rest is for skyrim :(:(
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    This thread is soo making me want to buy this, even if I am soo against it. :(
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Best game I've played in ages - delivered on every expectation. Big congrats to our id members on an awesome title.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Beat it earlier, was pretty good, but the ending was weak.
    pressing buttons and fighting off waves of mutants wasn't challenging or bad ass, it felt more like build up to the big boss dropping down
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator have you tried disabling the steam community feature for that game, I've heard this fixes the lag for some people. Right click Rage in the steam library and go to properties, untick community.

Agree, dead city is blurry as shit, a lot of the indoor environments are? Kind of weird the wasteland which appears to be bigger is less blurry, while the confined spaces are blur town? Really want to know what's going on here, I thought one of the features of this tech was to evenly cut up the world into texture pages the same resolution, doesn't make sense why some areas are blurrier than the rest if everything gets baked down into the same res?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was just a big update on Steam that fixed some other things and added in some graphics settings to the options menu.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two bugs/missing features that I found to be worth noting on the PC version :

- Steam Cloud is enabled but only saves your settings and achievements, but not the savegames, so you cannot really progress a game over two machines.

- Also, view invert is a global setting applied to both mouse and gamepad ... mening that if you planned to play withe the pad for racing and town exploration, but with the mouse for accurate shooting, you're kinda screwed :D
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm wrote: »
    Zipfinator have you tried disabling the steam community feature for that game, I've heard this fixes the lag for some people. Right click Rage in the steam library and go to properties, untick community.

Agree, dead city is blurry as shit, a lot of the indoor environments are? Kind of weird the wasteland which appears to be bigger is less blurry, while the confined spaces are blur town? Really want to know what's going on here, I thought one of the features of this tech was to evenly cut up the world into texture pages the same resolution, doesn't make sense why some areas are blurrier than the rest if everything gets baked down into the same res?

I modified the config file as per the Nvidia guide and the textures are nice and sharp now... Well not super sharp, but at least sharper than before. Dead city looks a lot better.

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah Pior, my Cloud saves aren't transferring.. makes it useless. I've played the beginning twice over because of this, and it's frustrating. I just want to continue my game between here and work.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just enabled the 8k texture thanks to the little cfg file to create manually. I had very little popping before, and now it is completely gone. Yay for 4gigs of video ram!

What an amazing game. I am actually very surprised by the very small visual impact of baked specular in the environments - the cheap cubemab are totally enough to make things work visually. Such a smart and ballsy decision to make...

I wonder if they developed some specific UV tools for asset creation. It really is a fascinating game to look at and dissect.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe, the baked specular threw me off at first, but I makes sense. It all looks so nice that at times I feel like I am playing a resident evil game with prerendered backdrops.

I am afraid to imagine of the bake/build times of the environments if you wanted to do a significant change though. They must have monstrous machines to crunch through all that data.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe ... maybe not ? I think it can be broken down between stamp work and model work. Once the modeling stage is somehow locked for a while and it is all about stamping, I would imagine that applying a stamp over a lit area would simply multiply the lighting base over the whole "stack" of stamps. And then it would just be a matter of baking (in its simplest sense) everything down, on top of the existing lighting pass ... Who knows hehe.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Goddamn the shooting in this game is addictive. I've gotten so used to how terrible shooting is in modern games that I was blown away when I first used the double barrel on a mutant. Can't wait for the editor, I'm hoping we'll have access to megatexture (although Carmack did say he was doubtful about that)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After the latest patch it looks better and runs a lot smoother. I've only gotten a bit of lag in some of the more open areas compared to getting lag nearly always before. Tomorrow I will go through the Dead City!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Fuse wrote: »
    Hehe, the baked specular threw me off at first, but I makes sense. It all looks so nice that at times I feel like I am playing a resident evil game with prerendered backdrops.

I am afraid to imagine of the bake/build times of the environments if you wanted to do a significant change though. They must have monstrous machines to crunch through all that data.

Right, but I was under the impression that the lighting data is baked right into the texture/mostrous atlas as opposed to lightmaps. That's why there is very little if at all dynamic lighting effects in the environments.

I imagine any adjustment to the stamp/texture would require you to do a complete rebake. Or at least a rebake of the affected area.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    Just got to jackal canyon, don't think i've ever spent this long just looking at rocks in a game. Great level too, love blowing away those rolling babbling freaks with the double barrel. Awesome fun, great game!
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I saw early on they were releasing the tools for this, is this still the case? As I have heard little to nothing about them apart from the pre-release fluff videos.

oh btw, awesome game.
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Noooooooo whyyyyyy????

After the update I get a lot of texture artifacts!! All textures in the distance are blue nad black and flickers like hell!

I't worked perfectly before :(
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Just gonna echo what everyone's said, this game is fucking amazing. They copied a bit of every damned FPS in the past 10 years and it's that much better because of it, worth every cent.