Home General Discussion

RAGE

Replies

• Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe Spark, it's kind of ironic that Matt is so outspoken about id being the least wanted place he'd ever consider working for as if he's an industry giant and AAA studios are foaming at the mouth to get his talents.

I'd hate to break it to you Matt, but I wouldn't aim that high yet :) And now you probably guaranteed yourself never to get a job there.

Now Brett, start posting them works!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Had they released a deathmatch mode where you can drive around and shoot on foot, this would probably be the only MP game I'd play. The shooting feels sooo good, and I imagine the maps would be pretty huge.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Almost finished rage, and what a feast it has been so far! Hats off to you guys over at id. The work you have delivered is phenomenal.

I was expecting an id game, sure there was talk of a story, and racing, but knowing the id legacy, well story telling hardly ever mattered in id games. And racing in a id game?! Phew, what a gamble!
    But still, if only I got to shoot baddies in the id way, I would've been happy enough.

'Lo and behold, id delivers on all fronts! The racing missions are a blast! Not too many, not too tedious, nothing too serious (like, ok, now we're going to add a super realistic race sim section). Just blasting across the maps and shooting stuff: plain awesome.

And there's a story too boot! A really nice story, nothing complex, but something that serves the gameplay, and is wonderfully told by such amazing looking and animated characters. Really, the detail, not only in litteral detail, but also in the details about imperfection, how they stand, react, how they look. So gorgeous.

And then its all set in this wonderful, wonderful world. My god, you guys must've had a field day creating all this amazing environment stuff. Every environment is a new treat to look at. And there's so much to look at since ever nook and cranny is unique.

I love how there seems to be an idea behind the world, how it not only makes sense in how parts of it where used before the apocalypse, but now how they are used by their new inhabitants. What amazes me more even, is how this goes for each 'clan'or enemy setting. Each environment serves its unique inhabitants in a sensible manner. Something often overlooked in many games.

This world really looks and feels inhabited and alive. And for all its uniqueness, and megatexturing, give a big props to the soundguys, because they did a beaut job on adding atmosphere and some truly haunting enemy sounds. Hearing certain sounds, and knowing what enemies they announced has plenty of times made me curse and retreat in advance to check my weapon loadout and ammo :)

Well, the list of kuddos and such goes on and on.
    I'm a happy customer! And very curious to see what dlc will bring. Very curious to see where this tech is headed (specially when there's new hardware that hopefully can handle highres megatextures. Looking at you xbox720).

Amazing job guys! umm, and now go finish up doom4! *cracks whip* :D
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just hit level 15 on the competitive MP- it's intense, people should really give it a go for a few levels. It's a bit like mario kart, but the maps are less racing circuits and more like arenas.

The high level mechanics do feel very quake-y: map control and rushing predictablly timed powerups. There's a good bit of strategy in choosing and timing your secondary powers, it's fairly deep if you get into it.

I've been playing w m/kb, and my left hand is sore as hell- it's probably works worlds better with a gamepad.

The dm mode is probably the least entertaining, meteor rally and triad rally do a great job of focusing the action and intensity.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    CrazyMatt... ffs, at least do your homework before making such statements on a forum/thread that you know that some of the devs will read, and even if they didn't that's highly disrespectful basing your opinion on vague things you read on the internet.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    really enjoying it so far, great job everyone at ID software, cant wait to see some art dumps, game is gorgeous!!!!!
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    yes, Rage Dump please..so I can wallow around in it and get it's awesome stank smeared all over me
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just hit level 15 on the competitive MP- it's intense, people should really give it a go for a few levels. It's a bit like mario kart, but the maps are less racing circuits and more like arenas.

The high level mechanics do feel very quake-y: map control and rushing predictablly timed powerups. There's a good bit of strategy in choosing and timing your secondary powers, it's fairly deep if you get into it.

I've been playing w m/kb, and my left hand is sore as hell- it's probably works worlds better with a gamepad.

The dm mode is probably the least entertaining, meteor rally and triad rally do a great job of focusing the action and intensity.
    I knew I recognized your name... That was me you were playing with last night!
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    just gotta give you id guys some props. this is an incredible achievement in art, and the gameplay is really starting to get quite good too. it's been a while since I had so much fun just looking at how you guys put this stuff together.

nice stuff. :] I missed you id.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    A lot of you love, and some of you hate. Even so, i just wanted to say thank you guys for taking the time of playing Rage! :) It is awesome to see how people react to the stuff we've done. I will be posting a lot of pics to my site soon about some of the behind the scenes of rage launch ( signing, vip party and release party at gamestop ) for those of you interested. I always wonder about those things when games are shipped so i thought it would be cool to share.

In that note, check it out, this was the cake they made for our vip release party! Thank you Carrie! :)

rageCake.jpg
    Yes, those are life size candy mutant heads!
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    I knew I recognized your name... That was me you were playing with last night!

Right on!

That circular map is ridiculous, absolutely nuts on meteor rally.

The default keys (shift/caps/q) are destoying my hand, I've gotta bind the abilities over to the mouse or set up a gamepad.

some video of mp: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFBvIN70kso"]Rage PC Multiplayer Gameplay HD 1080p (carnage, triad rally, rally and meteor gameplay) - YouTube[/ame]
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats to all the ID guys!!! Just finished Rage and really enjoyed it, stellar looking game - you guys all did a fantastic job there.

Would love to see some of the source art if you guys get a chance for any art dumpage.

Also if any ID guys read this and wouldn't mind passing my details on to Jean (Rochefort) I lost touch with him - it's Jim Russell (jimification (at) googlemail (dot) com), I used to work with him at Digital Extremes. Cheers!
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay this is a open forum, but I never once took my remarks as though they were to be considered a font worded way of stating the ten commandments...sheesh. You guys seriously need to lighten up and relax. Obviously my opinions offend so many of you, it's just my thoughts on the subject.

Incase I missed the memo out of humbleness, please link me to where it says I can't express my feelings/thoughts on any subjects in the polycount forum?

I may not follow ID's rep and play every core title to a title represented by them. But doesn't mean I don't reserve the right to carry my own opinions. If it takes my short expressed opinions to lose friends and be blacklisted because I clearly and openly w/ somehow feeling comfort on this board to express that. Then there is clearly something wrong with the individuals who claim the pro-title under their signatures to say I don't reserve the right to say what I may feel like saying. All I ask is to not hold it against me...

If this clearly states itself a problem for you, then I highly suggest we start threads where we can invite those we know we would want to hear talk about the subject. Until then, be open to hear biased opinions about everything related to the subject. Also stop using the professional word as an excuse to make ones self sound better than anything. Developers including right now DICE of all, is getting a lot of bad talk for BF3 Beta alone. So in the end, who cares? This thread will die shortly by a month from now...

So I am sorry if I offended all of you.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Hands down, I had a discussion today @ the office with a fellow artist that revealed to me that id software isn't his number 1 up-held games company of all time. In fact, he didn't care much of it at all. I was surprised beyond belief for a few seconds, but then i eventually had to come to terms with the fact ppl like CrazyMatt here do exist. They should not be part of society, certainly, but they do exist.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    This thread will die shortly by a month from now...

Dunno, I started this thread over two years ago- I suspect it might have some legs once the SDK comes out.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I just ROFLed.

But seriously, a bit of a shakey start initially with ATI graphical issues until the last patch came out.

I LOVE IT.
    Sure, I'd love me some better-quality texture pack but the whole package is gorgeous fun. The variable AI behaviours and reactions to bullet hits is a thrilling experience that keeps you on your toes.
    This was well worth the wait! Thank you id :]
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    Okay this is a open forum, but I never once took my remarks as though they were to be considered a font worded way of stating the ten commandments...sheesh. You guys seriously need to lighten up and relax. Obviously my opinions offend so many of you, it's just my thoughts on the subject.

Incase I missed the memo out of humbleness, please link me to where it says I can't express my feelings/thoughts on any subjects in the polycount forum?

I may not follow ID's rep and play every core title to a title represented by them. But doesn't mean I don't reserve the right to carry my own opinions. If it takes my short expressed opinions to lose friends and be blacklisted because I clearly and openly w/ somehow feeling comfort on this board to express that. Then there is clearly something wrong with the individuals who claim the pro-title under their signatures to say I don't reserve the right to say what I may feel like saying. All I ask is to not hold it against me...

If this clearly states itself a problem for you, then I highly suggest we start threads where we can invite those we know we would want to hear talk about the subject. Until then, be open to hear biased opinions about everything related to the subject. Also stop using the professional word as an excuse to make ones self sound better than anything. Developers including right now DICE of all, is getting a lot of bad talk for BF3 Beta alone. So in the end, who cares? This thread will die shortly by a month from now...

So I am sorry if I offended all of you.

on second thought.. that's what the ignore list is for.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got a chance to play a bit (babies are TIME consuming :P)
    Man, this is just bloody gorgeous ! Seriously, incredible work Spark, Raul and all at id software. One of the, if not THE, best looking 360 game I've ever seen.
    Can't wait to play more !
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    I'm having a blast playing this game after finally getting it to work properly without any steam glitches and texture popping. Its the first fps shooter that i've bothered picking up in a very long time and im happy i did.

First thing i love: the animations, i cant belive this hasnt been talked about more in this thread. The transition between animantions are so perfect and bullet impact response is beyond awesome. I find myself popping off a few extra shots in mutants when they fall over just to be sure they stay down xD

The lighting is gorgeous and characters are looking awesome, lots of personality behind each and every one of them.

What i dont like though, is the pretty heavy-handed color correction going on in some areas, them being mostly indoors. Lots of moss green shadows etc. I almost would like there to be a toggle that would turn that stuff off sometimes.

That being said, awesome work and well worth the wait. And get to work on those expansions now =P

Oh right, release a hi res texture pack already
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    MartinH: Carmack actually wanted the color correction off, but the other guys managed to convince him otherwise. I do agree it's a bit too much in certain areas, but for the most part it does give each area a distinct look.

I'm fighting Jackals now, and man are they fun to fight. ID really nailed it with their animation and ai, I love how the try to dodge my shotgun blasts..tricky little bastards :)
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    shotgun wrote: »
    Hands down, I had a discussion today @ the office with a fellow artist that revealed to me that id software isn't his number 1 up-held games company of all time. In fact, he didn't care much of it at all. I was surprised beyond belief for a few seconds, but then i eventually had to come to terms with the fact ppl like CrazyMatt here do exist. They should not be part of society, certainly, but they do exist.

My sarcasm meter is a little off today, please tell me that was a joke. :|

I'll be honest, I can't bring myself to finish this game.. It feels like I've already played it. =/
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Dunno what improvements id like to see to one of the best deathmatch games ever made... Seriously, just play quakelive?

When i find myself in awe at an underground cavern in minecraft and happily go off exploring I really start to question people who focus so heavily on graphics.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I want a gamedesign thread for that kinda discussion so criticism of gameplay mechanics in their retrospective threads dont get chalked up as trolling. Pretty expansive subject though D:
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone know why we got our console commands janked in the update?
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Just wanted to drop in and say that the game looks awesome, the environments are breathtaking. Congrats to everyone who worked on it and contributed. Switching back ingame again :)
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Anyone know why we got our console commands janked in the update?

I think i read something about how enabling the console breaks achievements or something? I may very well be wrong on this. :/
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've heard of people running into issues with invalidating their save based on console use. That said, I've enabled console via both startup arg and rageconfig.cfg and haven't had any problems. I've tried running various locked commands, disabled startup videos, set megatexture options (via config) and poked around with the console's awesome new 'find' command pretty extensively. Still racking up cheevos, so ymmv.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I was able to prior to the latest patch as well, but it says locked console now, I can bring it down but various console commands and cheats no longer work, I don't care about achievements...

I've heard of people running into issues with invalidating their save based on console use. That said, I've enabled console via both startup arg and rageconfig.cfg and haven't had any problems. I've tried running various locked commands, disabled startup videos, set megatexture options (via config) and poked around with the console's awesome new 'find' command pretty extensively. Still racking up cheevos, so ymmv.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Anyone know the command for player height ? I really want to get up and see the world from above! (seems like there is no fly mode)
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noclip, kinda, from deadendthrills.com
    This shot of Jackal Canyon was achieved by turning on god mode, giving the player a big enough jump height to clear the entire map, dropping down on to the collision plane beneath the map, then adjusting the player’s view height so it returned to the surface, thus achieving a full noclip camera!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah thats where I heard of it - but what would the actual command be like for, say, a 200 meters high jump?
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pm_normalviewheight, i think

There's an awesome new feature of the console, basically type in 'find height' and it will bring up any cvar, command, image, decl, model etc that contains the substring 'height'.
  • Permafrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have played through a little bit of Rage here recently. So far I am liking it, but it is so very much like Borderlands and Fallout. I'm not trying to bash the game or any of the devs as I have always enjoyed everything id has ever done. I just feel that this isn't their best outing. The game is beautiful, possibly the best looking game this gen. I just keep finding myself wanting more. This is by no means reflective of the entire game as I am only around 6 hrs. into it. I still enjoy the game, there are just some aspects that I don't care for too much. I haven't toched the mP or co-op yet, as i don't have any friends that were interested in this game with it being so close to BF3. I would like to say though overall even with my thoughts on the game the guys at id did an amazing job on this game. I even like the subtle toss in poking fun at all the Fallout look-a-like comments with the Vault Boy bobble head, I found that and it made my day.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just an fyi, some INSANE screens at DeadEndThrills
    http://deadendthrills.com/collections/rage/
    det_rage_091.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That screen shot is my phone wall paper night now ^.^
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i75xjnspPpQ"]Sickest Dick Shot In Gaming History -- RAGE -- MaximusBlack - YouTube[/ame]
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I guess he got the tip.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone know if theres an 'Art of' book for this?
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be, that's certain!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If there is, or they're making one, I haven't found any clues.
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For anyonne interested in taking a peek at idTech5 scripts/materials/decls before the SDK comes out, there's an unpacker for base/gameresources.resources

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7463&sid=76ff3b3f8c198c1b6527016caa6c714e&start=30

Use the script by Qarter on page three, you'll need to use the 64bit version of quickbms from here: http://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

A lot of it will be familiar to people with idTech4 experience, though the material stuff is somewhat different due to all the virtual texturing going on. Also, the image/model/animation files are in a packaged binary format, so the unpacker is mostly just for ASCII resources.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Rage is BEAUTIFUL! Just started playing last night on the PS3. Really stunning looking. But the pop in of textures on the PS3 is inexcusable IMO. It is horrendous. I cant rotate the camera more then about 20 degrees without low rez textures popping in. Really detracts from how good the game looks.

One nit pick with the game so far is actually looting body's. Actually takes me out of the game to do this. Its like ok that was a great fire fight, now to go back and look at the ground for body's to loot. I think maybe its just due to the fact that you can just click the X button to loot guys as you walk over them still looking forward, you actually have to look at the ground which I already have found annoying.

Great looking game though, I think I will spend hours just looking at things.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Soooooooo. This game fell off my Radar, then 3 days before it was out on Steam, I bought it.
    1 week later, after extensive patching, driver updates and editing config files, the game finally started for me :D
    Running at 60FPS, everything maxed out etc. The texture streaming thingy was annoying at first but after 20 hours it's not exactly noticeable.

I had an amazing amount of fun with this game, despite it's hickups and disappointments (I wanted 20 more hours damnit, also more racing, also more weapons, also more dynamic environment etc.) it's easily one of the most fun and unique FPS experiences I've had, I honestly can't compare the experience I had with Rage to any other FPS in recent memory (hopefully that doesn't mean I'm inexperienced in regards to FPS :P)

From start to finish, it was a blast.
    A well realized world, sick art, great animation (whoever thought that having people gesticulate in accordance with conversation topics deserves a medal, no other game does it this well) and solid gameplay over all nets this a 100% in my book :P

If the mentioned "super hi res texture pack" patch is ever realized, I might just jizz myself.

Here's hoping a Co-Op mod ala Doom 3 Coop is made. I'm looking forward to my Nightmare and collectible run :)

Shame no one plays online in Europe (can't find a single game :( )

Oh and, this. While it kind of sucks to see how much got (seemingly) nixed, like the texture res being lowered etc, it's awesome to actually sit and play the finished product :)

Oh and beware of going under elevators in the game while they are lowering, I had this happen :P
    278B140FEC25EAAC567339B75716EB450872E47B
    Closest you'll get to Noclip I guess :P Oh and have some Actual Rage (stupidity)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    A game artist tried posting why there are lowres textures in games and why its usually the environment that gets hit first, he was told to shut the fuck up.
    Entitlement! It's the new common cold, only a million times worse.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Carmack should just flip them the bird and release a 1 terrabyte download. See how well they sing then.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Skamberin I fell through the world twice in the exact same spot as you, luckily I quick saved before I walked in there. If you rush getting off the elevator at the bottom floor in the garage in subway town you fall through. It seems to be an always bug.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Just finished it.

OMFG, what a stellar game!

Big congratulations to the whole team (and this include of course Vitality, Kenneth, Sparth and all the people that, even if they are not part of ID anymore, did A LOT on/for the game).

Rage earned its place in my pantheon of best solo games ever made.

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for Rage 2 :)

*hand shakes* Damn, I need to reload a previous save and find those last cards. I WANT THEM ALL!

-R
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    gotta catch em all!
  • cptincognito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately you might have to start over to get all the cards. Arguably the best card is in authority prison, which gets locked off after you complete the mission. Same goes for some areas of the ghost hideout and a few others.