Home General Discussion

RAGE

Replies

• glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    man... i wonder if this is gonna be a a tough one to run on the pc when it comes out. I have a good rig that runs everything right now at full capacity.. except for crysis 2... which now will look better with the new updates. But this one kinda feels intimidating. Are there any specs on how this will run and the kind of rig that will be required? i think this one and Oblivion are gonna make me get a new processor at least that is more top of the line from what i have.

thoughts?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's John Carmack...he can make a human brain run on a 1970's calculator if he wanted to.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know, to stream the amount of texture per pixel like he described it and all the instances and details and everything being unique, i would imagine it would require a lot of horse power. I know i read that he said the processing power of the ps3 was slow. I know dead space 2 used a unique rendering where they stream everything at the last second, which gives them a more dynamic way of running the game. I might be wrong on how i understand that one tho... i should read about it since i am talking about it.

But to play a game like this, you just can't settle with the minimum or medium settings required. You really have to play it full spec to get the whole immersion and atmosphere feel they achieved with it. I am more excited about the game displaying what the new engine can do, than the actual story behind it (even tho they say this game is more story driven, and it's moments that will define this game as experiences that people have).

Either way, i am excited to see what this engine can really do, and how friendly it will be.

EDIT: yea, deffered shading. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_shading and i guess this is the load out for the dynamic lights and how they are handled. I do really like how dead space 2 looks on my pc, and it runs like a charm with no problems.
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This game looks great, and I'm really excited to play it.

But I've had enough of the hype, now. I don't want any more talking heads, interviews, trailers, or teasers.

I want to play the damn thing.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    glottis8 wrote: »
    But to play a game like this, you just can't settle with the minimum or medium settings required. You really have to play it full spec to get the whole immersion and atmosphere feel they achieved with it.

I'm sure a 8800gt and a core2duo will run the game at the same settings as consoles, and the graphics at that point wont subtract much from the game.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'm sure a 8800gt and a core2duo will run the game at the same settings as consoles, and the graphics at that point wont subtract much from the game.

Yeah, we're talking about a game that will in fact run at 60fps on the consoles, and it's ID, they know they way around speedy engines ;)

I'm aiming for ultra-high though!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    I know running a game that has this much going on console at 60 fps is a big achievement. But i rather stick to how they really meant the game to be played in highest settings. Same goes for Skyrim.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I know running a game that has this much going on console at 60 fps is a big achievement. But i rather stick to how they really meant the game to be played in highest settings. Same goes for Skyrim.

I would guess they are in fact designed around looking great on their console releases, so everything above that is a bonus (with high texture settings only relying on you having more graphics memory).

With skyrim I would guess that oblivion and fallout3 might be a good measuring instrument to see how it'll run, it's not like the new renderer got worse (I'd guess)
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    I run fallout 3 and new vegas fine on highest setting. But i think this one is a new engine right? at least i think there will be more since they have all those video showing props that have insane texture size for res, and the amount of things that will be in an open world env.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I run fallout 3 and new vegas fine on highest setting. But i think this one is a new engine right? at least i think there will be more since they have all those video showing props that have insane texture size for res, and the amount of things that will be in an open world env.

It's still running on the exact same hardware as fallout3 did, same texture limitations.

All they've shown has been from the console version too.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    They dropped GameBryo altogether for Skyrim, so there is that...hoorah!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    It's still running on the exact same hardware as fallout3 did, same texture limitations.

All they've shown has been from the console version too.

you saying that cuz they have to run it on console? or they are using the same engine? cuz skyrim will be running in an internally built new engine. So that should change things a little bit.

Is the new rage gonna be supporting tessellation?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    you saying that cuz they have to run it on console? or they are using the same engine? cuz skyrim will be running in an internally built new engine. So that should change things a little bit.

Its a "new" engine completely based on the old one.

Probably not.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Their new rendering-engine allows them to do more using the same hardware as before, hence better looking game this time around.

But yeah, the consoles are the target platform for skyrim, so that's what they're making it look good for, but what I'm saying is: They're not targeting modern computers, they're targeting 5 year old hardware, so it's reasonable to expect it to require as much from your pc as fallout3 and oblivion did.
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    It looks amazing, and if I can't run it on my pc, then it's going on my PS3. Yes, I'll buy two copies of a game before upgrading my video card cause I hate computers. ;)

Super psyched to get my hands on this game, it looks so amazing I'll probably waste a lot of time in the towns, just looking around at things. And taking a LOT of screenshots.

And in rap battles, everyone loses. It's rap, there is no winning ;)
  • Slum
  • Entity
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know why, but the graphics seem to get worse with each subsequent video. Not just in terms of technical quality, but also how the characters look. Still a pretty looking game, but it's a shame they had to tone down so many things to get that 60fps on consoles.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    i hope they do have a "deep and meaningful story".
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i dont like the tonemapping too much looks a bit too rienharty...everything else looks bossss
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    it sounds like the deep and meaningful story (of fallout), but whatevs :P still psyched
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    odium wrote: »
    This game is gonna make Fallout 3 look like a cake walk... But do we all float down there...?
    No worries, Bethesda is involved with RAGE, its basically Fallout 4 :P But I hear interplay wanted the rights back after new vegas.
  • Jeremy-S
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I don't see the resemblance to Borderlands, or Fallout either. Other than they're all FPS games, in a desert-like apocalypse, the resemblance is minor. It's almost like saying Halo is like Quake 2, and Unreal. You're boiling them down WAY too far to arrive at a conclusion.

I still think it's the prettiest game ever, and even if I don't like the story, (I'm not hard to please in this aspect of game development) I'll love wandering around the world looking at how awesome things look.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree... really i am the most excited to just look at the game, period. I want to see how much detail and pretty places there are in the game. But with all of the dev diaries they have been mentioning that they will have a pretty awesome and immersive story... when i am very doubtful. They said the same with Doom 3, and the story was the weakest ever. haha
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    frell wrote: »
    No worries, Bethesda is involved with RAGE, its basically Fallout 4 :P But I hear interplay wanted the rights back after new vegas.

That's a complicated little catastrafuck, Interplay kept the rights to make an mmo, Bethesda is trying to say they weren't making progress with it, blah blah, lots of legal stuff, excited about rage nonetheless.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are we talking about Beth and IPlay on Rage exactly?
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i dont like the tonemapping too much looks a bit too rienharty...everything else looks bossss

I saw in a interview that Rage didn't support HDR?

Nonetheless game is looking great and I can't wait for it's release.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QdRR0Zw0FOM&has_verified=1

Watching this video gave me new hopes that the gameplay won't be monotonous. At least i hope. This game looks great tho.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Good to finally have a name to put to whos responsible for the horrible NPC animation ... Im just surprised it a japanese lad.
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    looking forward for that game

it looks awesome
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Andreas wrote: »
    ...horrible NPC animation ...

What are you talking about? Maybe we haven't been watching the same video(s).
  • Doughnut Bear
    horrible npc animation!? i think the animations are great overall it looks like a much prettier fallout
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    This vid def peaks my interest
    It's a rather bald statement to make 'AI like never seen before'

Most of the vids have shown a pretty predictable behavior, even if it's varied with 500 animations. Alright, so u got shot in the right arm and switch to wielding ur mace with the left arm, but u'r still charging a man with a gun. That's not really intelligent. A good AI would be having those mace-wielders pickup debris and use them as shields, "reading" ur shooting cycles and charging between bursts or during reload time. Basically, it means making enemies act based on what they THINK is going to happen. That's the difference between 'intelligence' and 'behavior'

I don't think Rage has poor AI per-se, it's probably just above standard average AI (which is pretty dumb). But from here to say they practically revolutionized it...
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    F.E.A.R. has been the only game to really surprise me with its AI - getting flanked in one of the early garage sections and the way they seemed to skulk around and actually play smart.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    soo, the mutants might not be just radiation mutants? they could be the result of experiments, maybe trying to 'force' their 'evolution'.. could be some kind of 'virus'..

i kid (kinda) but they talk about the story and setting like they've come up with all these cool details and all I can think about is where I've seen every detail before.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I was always planning to buy this but now I am getting pretty excited for it. It's definitely not groundbreaking or anything but I don't get why so many people are completely shitting on it saying it looks awful.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    jackwhat: yea fear 2 had some fairly interesting cooperation between the enemies, which was surprising and generally unpredictable. It's downfall, I think, was having the enemies run off after getting shot and then returning to exactly the same spot (just to get shot again...)

roost: lol. There was a lot of talk like that... I personally think this whole PR crap is cuz someone there decided it'd be good for the game. Don't think there's a lot of substance involved.

Perhaps id should resort to 'we just make cool shit' and that's it...
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ganemi wrote: »
    When are they going to start applying these types of animations to multiplayer games like ET? ; O

From the little I've played of BF3 so far, the MP animation system is nice, and works like the SP... At least, I *think* it does. It certainly takes animation to a whole new level.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    soo, the mutants might not be just radiation mutants? they could be the result of experiments, maybe trying to 'force' their 'evolution'.. could be some kind of 'virus'..

i kid (kinda) but they talk about the story and setting like they've come up with all these cool details and all I can think about is where I've seen every detail before.

I once believed the pre-release hype. Now it's just sad to see how much devs lie. Sometimes you can even see the shame in their eyes when they do it. :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    In story and Game play... I don't think this game is really mind blowing at all but it just looks so retardly gorgeous! I just wanna walk around and look at the environment work. The story and game play are very generic, but if you think about tho, id IS the generic [lol] in a funny way.
  • swidj
    I know I will spent countless hours just staring at the walls & other things, it really look gorgeous!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    8FtSpider wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Maybe we haven't been watching the same video(s).

The NPC dialogue, sorry should have been clearer. The enemy actions are nice; but whenever a character is speaking to you... not so nice.
  • dtschultz
  • Cexar
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Damn, is this one of those "rev up your computer to 11" kind of games?
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    john goodman?!??
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    rooster wrote: »
    john goodman?!??

lol i had the same reaction.

new trailer is fucking awesome!
  • Slum
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I noticed that too Slum. I *really* friggin want the original but I already have quake 4. nooo idea where the disc is, i guess it probably doesn't count just registering the game anyway
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    This actually deserves its own thread probably, but in case anyone missed it.

John Carmack announced at Quakecon that the full Doom 3 source code will be opened up later this year!

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/36383/Id_To_Release_Doom_3_Source_Code.php