Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I just love it... not only does it look amazing but it looks so fun
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, awesome. Giants are all over the place :)
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What have they said about multiplayer... are they still going ahead with p2p play and not going with dedicated servers? :/

Still, looks lovely, and I shall no doubt buy just like have bought almost every other id game :p
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Day one buy for sure. The end of previous video made me chuckle. They just appeared out of nowhere, and now you're fucked. I love that kinda game :D

Easily the best looking game I've ever seen, graphically speaking, and art design wise. The baddies look great, the townspeople look like townspeople, the environments look freaking amazing... Can not wait to play this. The day it comes out, no one will hear from me for days.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, that certainly changes the mood of things Justin :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love the part at the end when the player gets his ass jumped by a horde of enemies with one big baddie getting closer until one little sucker knocks him out, bad ass this looks good, but I echo the washed out gray look on the colors, did they update/fix that?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The scope and attention to detail in those environments is ridiculous, total game changer. The character animation during the dialogue scenes is WAAAAY overacted though.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like everything I loved about Fallout 3.... and then it fixes everything I disliked....

It looks... amazing....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Game world is looking fantastic. Really cant wait to get to play this, or atleast just run around in the environments.

Hope the majority of the game is like the open desert worlds (ie color) and not like the dead city (bleak and and monochromatic grey) Even though there was color there it was super heavy on the grey side of things. Shooters dont have to be so boring a bleak with there color, look at MW2. Huge variety of environments and a huge color pallet. Hope Rage will do the same. Also the "post apocalyptic" look doesn't need to be bleak to sell that. Look at Enslaved.

The driving open world sections are beautiful. Dead City, while technically and detailed stunning, just boring in terms of color.

Super looking forward too it :)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Want want wantttttt!!!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I actually LIKE the colours, it looks, well, like a world left to rot. Its not gonna be super happy fun day with reds and greens and flashing lights everywhere.

What I don't like however is that I still can't shake this generic feeling... Start at A, walk to B, shoot people along the way and watch the bodies not react right to bullets with weapons that sound awful, where rag dolls look about 7 years too old tech... Its classic id software in that regard.

But the rest looks spot on,.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    as someone mentioned, it looks like fallout 3
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »
    as someone mentioned, it looks like fallout 3

To be honest, Fallout 3 barely holds a candle to RAGE graphically..
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    can't wait, looks amazing :)
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    its ok when people compare Rage to Fallout 3, i mean i think most gamers probably can't tell the difference in graphical fidelity, even though to us its super obvious.

Its when Rage gets compared to Borderlands is when i lose it... i mean ... really? borderlands isn't even a game ...

Its really exciting to see all the cool locations and the hand crafted feel to everything, its a great looking game and it looks like shooting dudes is really fun!
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar wrote: »
    its ok when people compare Rage to Fallout 3, i mean i think most gamers probably can't tell the difference in graphical fidelity, even though to us its super obvious.

Too me, it seems as if rage is fallout with lighting. :)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    rawkstar wrote: »
    borderlands isn't even a game ...

wat?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    if borderlands isn't a game...
    then what have I been playing?
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I think RAGE shares a theme with Borderlands, rather than a style, in that you play the game as a post-apocalyptic punk/cowboy, in a desert environment (from what I've seen of RAGE). Both seem to borrow heavily from Mad Max, too.

Borderlands really surprised me. I really enjoyed that title. Saying it isn't a game, though. I don't understand that at all :P
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    This def shares a lot of *atmosphere* with Fallout3 but even in this video u can see the artwork is 100 times better.

The only thing that stands out to me with the way Rage look is those steep dark black shadows. I mean, the nostrils on the old dude at the beginning r like... mmm someone shoulda fixed that.

GFX ain't all, tho. Gameplay is where it's at and this looks... boring, frankly, but I'm sure lotsa kids (did i just say that?) r gonna love it.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    From a technical standpoint the environments in Rage blow everything else out of the water. I can't think of another game that comes close in terms of variety and detail. Everywhere you look there is something cool and unique to look at in these videos. That said, I couldn't be more bored by the characters and art direction.

Another thing that stands out in these videos is how static the levels look. Sure, you get very pretty graphics, and amazing baked lighting, but it comes at a high cost with all that static geometry.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    mmm, I've been thinking the same as shotgun but didn't want to be a party pooper.. since someone else said it too..

looks mind blowingly great art wise.. looks a bit old school gameplay wise
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Well lets be honest, Id has never made the most interesting games gameplaywise. They've always been a "run through this place and kill everyone" kind of company and Rage looks like it will be a solid addition to that track record.

So yeah, probably won't be much in terms of gameplay, but if Id decides to release modding tools like Epic/Crytek, then the engine will be unbelievably cool to play with.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Would make a brilliant Stalker type game.....explore, drive, find cool stuff, work for different factions, go scary places. However like said above, it will probably be go here, kill everything. Absolutely brilliant environment art tho....he destroyed cities are stunning.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye I disagree 2. Most id games (cept Q2) were entirely innovative by either having the technology so superior it profoundly changed the gameplay or the gameplay itself was innovative (Q3). DooM3 presented only new tech but integrated its classic gameplay so well with the technology it created a perfect game atmosphere. It was a master piece.

I dont really consider W:ET etc as id games but Rage just doesn't seem to have any of it. Might be too early to judge tho.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Wolf ET and ET:QW are both Splash Damage games. Gray Matter and Nerve Software made RTCW. Sorry to be pedantic here. It's fair to say that most Id games have been glorified engine tech demos with the exception of Q3 arena. However, I'm hoping that Rage has a bit more meat on the bones.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I"m thinking we're only being allowed to see a little bit of this game. I think there's gonna be different areas that will look a lot more impressive (although I find everything I've seen impressive).

I'm a fan of post apocalyptic settings, and not having full vibrant colors, and such, after everything has died kinda makes sense to me. I guess all the complaints I've heard so far don't really make sense to me, except for some of the death animation ones.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i'm hoping that there's more to it and the enemy types than the vid suggests. Times have moved on, I don't get excited by big enemy = bullet sponge any more. I started to think- oo, well at least the tongue lashy attack is interesting, until I realised it was in quake 2

the boomerang thingy seems nice, but not exactly a game-changer. there was a quakec mod like that, xenas disc I think..
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    i'm hoping that there's more to it and the enemy types than the vid suggests. Times have moved on, I don't get excited by big enemy = bullet sponge any more. I started to think- oo, well at least the tongue lashy attack is interesting, until I realised it was in quake 2

the boomerang thingy seems nice, but not exactly a game-changer. there was a quakec mod like that, xenas disc I think..

Simpsons did it.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i think it's just a symptom of completing portal 2 :P I want freshness in all my games now!

but, really when that big giant guy ran at the car, who else was thinking: get away from the car! he'll smash it into you like a tank!.. then nothing happened
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have to agree though, the gameplay looks a bit stale in rage, I'm really curious to see how it all pulls together. Honestly, I have not been impressed with the gameplay of an ID game since quake2(sure a lot of people played q3, but it is a very basic multiplayer DM game, not really innovative in any way, just polished).

The biggest thing I see lacking art wise is some quality ambient lighting, IBL or what have you. This is really bad indoors, where everything has that terrible doom3 harsh black shading look, its a bit better outdoors, but the lighting is still very grey. The environments look awesome, but the lighting is really letting it down.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say for ID to re-create "Soldier of Fortune 3" :) Since Raven won't.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Q3 has the best gameplay everrr
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Id-tech, more like MID-tech, amirite gaiz?

Still excited for the game, I mean, despite Doom 3 and Quake 4 not being the best ever, they were enjoyableish
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It appears to me as if Id. only releases games to show off their tech, where they perhaps make the majority of their income?

Interesting new gameplay ideas wouldn't be top priority if engine licensing was their main objective.

It's impressive none the less, but then again, it was designed to be.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    (I couldn't find the old thread anywhere?!)

Anyway, new footage is out.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5rGrI-YbMw[/ame]
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    ha...love the limping guy trying to get away...this is going to be super fun
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just have 1 concern, the pc version better not have the console UI for the weapon switching.

I liked how to robot crawled over stuff and jumped that one guy.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. That spider bot was pretty cool. Hadn't seen it in any other media.

Also, took me a few goes at searching, to find it: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64202
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great! I hope I can play this with my resurrected pc.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, will pick it up for a console probably... that dialogue animation is still way way overdone though, very distracting... looks like a students short film or something.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best part was the door opening sequence, the rest was... meh
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Kicking the turret was awesome. The sweat is awesome. Interfacing with the environment looks fluid. The colors, grit, and such remind me of quake1, and I like that.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    yeah, very strange super over acting on everything so far. looks like B movie actors. also read a preview and it seems your guy never talks but the NPC's respond as if you responded to there questions, HATE that. There is no point to not give the character a voice. Takes me out of all interaction with NPC's when you just stand there silently.

Looks gorgeous though :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Autocon wrote: »
    yeah, very strange super over acting on everything so far. looks like B movie actors. also read a preview and it seems your guy never talks but the NPC's respond as if you responded to there questions, HATE that. There is no point to not give the character a voice. Takes me out of all interaction with NPC's when you just stand there silently.

Looks gorgeous though :)

Silent heroes sometimes work, being a fps, you are the character, so having the character talk is sometimes weird. 3rd person games work better with dialog, unless you wanna start talking about dialog options like oblivion.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like id needs to get the with the times and make combat a little more interesting than quake 2.

As pretty as this game is... it's actually rather disappointing so far.
    I'll hold off judgement till I get my hands on it, but I really would expect something more interesting.

I mean, the weapons just looks boring to be frank, and the enemies seem really not challenging at all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I just have 1 concern, the pc version better not have the console UI for the weapon switching.

I liked how to robot crawled over stuff and jumped that one guy.

why? looks kind of like the Maya hotbox which is a PC UI concept. If you noticed, the pick up/interact icon that flashes on screen says "e" so that's the PC version being shown off.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im with auto, I'm going through condemned for the first time right now and it really gets on my nerves. The main character speaks in cut scenes, but not gameplay! mental.