Replies

• xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    GCMP wrote: »
    Awesome sculpting looks great but...

... couldn't help it sorry:poly122:

damn lol hahahah BPR gave me fancy result!
    but its funny!!! thanks for the spot :D
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Microneezia: Cool scene :thumbup:

I've been revamping a building I made a few weeks ago. There's still a few things that have to be added (specular maps, roof, pavement, fire escape stairs, some decorative panels to reduce repetition, etc.) but I'm starting to be happy with the overall shape.

Crits are very welcome :) Ignore the lightmass issues tho, I'm still trying to get rid of them.

142rak0.jpg
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    @Rens: Agreed. totally get what your sayin.

I realise these studies are rushed and my anatomy isn't right. but what i've found in doing these studies is that my workflow in ZBrush has improved massively. I have been learning bits about anatomy and i realise i'm not spending any time to understand the forms. I have been meaning to create a Skull and building up muscle and flesh. With special focus on each anatomical detail. Maybe i'll do that next.

thanks for the feedback man.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to hear man, keep it up!
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Scimitars don't have sheaths

Yea, I'm not sure i agree with that. Modern reproductions have sheaths with straps on one side, effectively a three sided sheath. They probably were wrapped and held together with straps or maybe camel hide. Google images offer solutions. Generally, but not always, weaponsmiths attempt at making their stuff with authentic realism. With that in mind, I would suggest research what the leather of the day was and try to envision a workable design around that. I always figured that they had a broad strap with sword hangers built in. Since they are found in a very dry climate, i dont think rust was much of a concern. They do have oils though as oils are very prevalent in that part of the world.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    xvampire wrote: »
    damn lol hahahah BPR gave me fancy result!
    but its funny!!! thanks for the spot :D

hehe no probs

Mr Bear love the warm cosy style :)
    teaandcigarettes very nice building, where's the issues... your teasing us!

Radiator for scene;

radR.png
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Rens wrote: »
    @Stinger,
    but i think crazyfool has triggered some "i have to do this under 2 hours" in a few people. which is fine! but,

crazyfool is experienced with his shapes and anatomy.
    Therefor he knows what he is looking for.

I really hope it hasnt come across that way :( They are just supposed to be quick throw away doodles that you can learn from, not masterpieces. I know Im learning alot from doing them and watching everyone elses timelapses over at GA. I agree its not the only way to learn but they are only for fun and as I said when starting it, if you go over the time limit, then great :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rens, (and Crazyfool etc),

first off, and I'm truly not being sarcastic here, but are you aware of the daily speed sculpting thread going on at GA? It's just that from your wording it sounds like your saying people have seen a few sculpts pop up and thought it was fun when in fact there is some point and a bit of decent C&C going on there. But that's just how I read your post so if you're aware of it already cool.
    while I certainly understand your point of view in regards to Stinger's post and a few of the others that have been popping up (which should really be in the sculpting thread but whatever) I have to somewhat disagree with how it effects your ability to learn. I started doing daily's as practice just before Crazyfool's thread started and have found them extremely helpfull in improving workflow and basic anatomy/shapes.

just as an example, the left is from Jan 13, and the right is from Feb 8:
    1month.jpg

now, I'm not saying that everybody learns at the same pace, or "Hey pay attention to how awesome I think I am!" but I do think that theere's a signifigant improvement in my own work as a direct result of these daily's and in most of the other artists contributing to that thread as well

Ultimately I guess it does come down to what you said,
    There are always mixed ideas of learning from quickies or slow processes. I prefer to stare at something and tweak it a thousand times to get it right, cause i feel in the end you have a better understanding of it's structure then rushing it multiple times.

I guess I'm trying to say that speedies can be just as helpfull as slow and methodical.
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Everyone's pumping out such sick work lately! Keep it up. :D
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    flamethrower%20WIP.jpg

high poly flamethrower based on this:
    Gcon_Flamethrower_by_Csp499.png
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Started working on this:
    q4door_wip01.jpg
    Based on a concept by Paul Richards.
  • Dudeman95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, everyone on this forum is super talented. I hope I can be as great as some of your guys one day. :)
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 17
    great start sinistergfx, looking forward to seeing more. i just checked out your photo blog and cracked up when i saw a picture of me doing a kickflip. did you take a bunch of quick pics of that or just get one lucky shot? the picture of Colin playing guitar and stepping on the fx pedal is killer.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    getting closer to the feeling i want for the materials. black leather is being a bitch though... i want it blacker, but it's almost completely black on the diffuse already...
    revan_15.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    moar space pew pews. Working on the particle effects, animation and assembly for our Ragnar environment. Still lots of tweaking left.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVVEla98YFo[/ame]

lost.jpg
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    almighty_gir : i think you should lighten up the background on your renders, its damn near impossible for me to see you character. from what i can see it looks to be pretty sweet
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i think i need a new monitor then =[
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ conte, thanks, glad to be creepy :poly136:
    @ eY3lEs5, thanks a lot :)

The pages are bursting with hot work. My favorites the last couple of pages are the works of Rogue One, BTolput, Joshua Stubbles, the sizzling hot girl by xvampire, almighty_gir's hard edge combined organic model and the cool concept by eazy to name but a few.
  • Gyrfal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, first time posting on Polycount. Been lurking for a while and figure that I should finally throw something up.

This is a VW Golf that I've been working on for about a week, between classes.

gwipao003.jpg

gwipao004.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    An update to my Noctis sculpt, haven't touch this in a while.

noctisv.jpg
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7

I've been revamping a building I made a few weeks ago. There's still a few things that have to be added (specular maps, roof, pavement, fire escape stairs, some decorative panels to reduce repetition, etc.) but I'm starting to be happy with the overall shape.

Crits are very welcome :) Ignore the lightmass issues tho, I'm still trying to get rid of them.

142rak0.jpg

Awesome building teaandcigarettes! It could use some variation though. Are you going to give the windows environment maps?
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    Read to start sculpting the clothes:

You guys can beat me up later for the large image

sculptready.png
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ crazyfool, scudz,

Hahaha, I do not visit GA, i guess that is why i was not aware of it. My bad!
    (forgot we had one too)

I might not have worded it propperly too. As usual.

I guess in the end it comes down to each individual and the way they approuch it, how much experience they have, how they will pick it up ect.

small example,

- A starter who begins shaping without reference/from mind and places a stroke randomly here, and a bit here so it maybe looks ok. He is trying to be fast.
    (is still learning how to create the shapes he wants)

- A starter with a bit more overal exp, who takes his refs, looks at where and why he will places that stroke. He does it as a practice instead of a project.
    (has a good understanding of his brushes and how to work them)

There is such a difference between them, that i would not recommend the first one to do speed sculpts and slow down, while the second one might pick up a lot from it.

If you are curious to the workflow and want to understand it, doing some experimentation, no problem.
    But trying to speed up a process for an outcome that you still need to learn the basics for, meh.
    And there lays my concern.

I'ts a bit like riding a bike. You first learn how to control it and see where you want to go before you try and go fast.

And I agree compleetly,
    It is stupid for me to give the idea speed sculpts are not a good way to learn, it just depends on who is trying to learn what.

Sorry for my earlier post Crazyfool, I really like what you are doing, makes me want to do some practice too ;)
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz wrote: »
    rev.png

Dude, what's up with the crosses? I really like your work but every time you post something it's like "Oh, someone trying to be a little provocative again?". If that's on your Portfolio on every piece it would keep me away from hiring you.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14

142rak0.jpg

Mind showing us the modules and textures? Looks cool! Gonna be great with some breaking up!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Rens wrote: »
    - A starter who begins shaping without reference/from mind and places a stroke randomly here, and a bit here so it maybe looks ok. He is trying to be fast.
    (is still learning how to create the shapes he wants)

- A starter with a bit more overal exp, who takes his refs, looks at where and why he will places that stroke. He does it as a practice instead of a project.
    (has a good understanding of his brushes and how to work them)

that has worried me a little since the beginning but I would like to think most people are using some sort of reference, jumping in blind is a recipe for disaster. Im gonna probably add some tips and tricks to the thread soon so people can take full advantage of it, Im no expert myself but it should help some people out. Thanks Rens :thumbup:

superman_print_001-copy.jpg?w=300&h=271

This arrived in the post this morning and thought I would share :) My good buddy Cameron Small, AKA Mclean on the forums made a 3d Print of my superman model from comicon 09 for helping him out over the last year or two, Im getting some proper photos made up soon but this is all I can do with my rubbish camera right now :( he looks awesome though, I wanna get a full character 3d print done in the future, but gotta make something mental first :) Thank you so much Cam, you are the man :D
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    oa3-merm-wip.jpg

mesh is about complete (around 1100 tri) but working on texture.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spitty: Thanks man. Yeah, I shot it in a long burst.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    a 1hour study from an awesome photo by oldyorkie over on da.

5435629839_ae4c19faed_b.jpg
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Old asset, but messing around with a new way to present stuff:
    (xoliul's shaders)
    viewporttest.jpg
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Mike Yevin wrote: »
    almighty_gir : i think you should lighten up the background on your renders, its damn near impossible for me to see you character. from what i can see it looks to be pretty sweet
    @Mike Yevin: I can see it very well here. It's dark, I agree, but not impossible to see. Try adjusting your monitor settings.
    @almighty_girI like the character. Looks like a character from Knights of the old republic.
    Your model looks great but the transparency at the bottom is not as great. It looks like it's very low-res. Did you render this in max?
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Render1-7.jpg

Some messing about with this.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Goraaz: well of course i can see it if i really try, but the dark brown background with the dark textures just do not make it easy on anyone trying to get a good look at this character. my monitors settings are fairly normal, and i have no problem with anything else on this site so i see no point in fiddling with them. i'd just like to see this rendered on a lighter background to make the character pop a little more :)
    e-freak wrote: »
    Dude, what's up with the crosses? I really like your work but every time you post something it's like "Oh, someone trying to be a little provocative again?". If that's on your Portfolio on every piece it would keep me away from hiring you.

ill just put this here, i posted this in his art dump thread:
    im sorry but if anyone believes that the upside down cross directly means satanism, then you need to do some research. it is the Cross of St. Peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_St._Peter

"In Roman Catholicism the Petrine Cross is not seen as Satanic in any way. However, an inverted crucifix (a Latin cross with an artistic depiction of the crucified body of Christ upon it) is seen as immensely disrespectful, and could be used to represent Satanic forces.[citation needed] The distinction between a Cross of Peter and upturned Crucifix is sometimes obscured, leading to confusion about the acceptability of each symbol. This was seen when controversy arose over the aforementioned Papal visit to Israel; pictures of the Pope sitting before a Petrine Cross were widely circulated on the Internet in an attempt to prove that the Catholic Church is associated with Satanism and the Antichrist.[2][3]"

basically it boils down to the idea that Simon Peter felt unworthy of being crucified upright

if anyone ACTUALLY has a problem with this, either on this board or in the industry, they are obviously misinterpreting this and i would recommend they look into things a little more before just assuming what they have heard by others. if daphz was putting a little upside down body crucified on that cross, then he might be setting himself up for some ridicule, but the way he has it now he's not representing anything other than the crucifixion of Saint Peter.
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Quick sculpt for the GA sculpting thing.

BugsnBoobs.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    @sinistergfx: i recognized that model straight away from Darksiders, such a great game with great art.

Here's a character i'v been working a bit.
    icgcqa.jpg
    made after a concept i painted first.
    http://i.min.us/icfXZQ.jpg
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Nice sculpt, Jaco.
  • mayaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman polycounter lvl 10
    Working on some concept art for the main character of an indie game wich I'm developing with a couple of guys...

soldierbig1.jpg:\
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    @Mike Yevin: I know it wasn't originally meant for satanic purposes, but that is pretty much what it means to this day. And even with it not having a satanic undertone, it just looks silly in an art piece.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    @everyone wondering.

I like using em because it gets a reaction out of people. positive or negative, it gets a reaction. That and I like em, so even if everyone absolutely HATES it, I'm still keeping it (for a while at least) because I like it. Also i'm not keeping it on any final presentation of my portfolio pieces. just speedies and WIP stuff.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You peeps have just about convinced me of having a hanged baby in all of my pieces from now on...if he wants to use the upside down cross as a signature whats it matter. I like the idea of it because I have seen enough of his art that i know its just his sig and it helps me to know its his piece right off the bat.

also jaco thats awesome! says more alien than bug to me tho.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Mayaman, thats pretty slick dude. The hind leg's perspective looks wonky tho, like hes rolling his ankle.
  • mayaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mayaman polycounter lvl 10
    @robat:

Yeah you're absolutely right, I know, I forgot to say that leg was a bit "strange", I'll fix it tomorrow:)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    BrownieRTTexture01.jpg

Basing out Brownie's Runtime textures and dipping my toes into the Marmoset Toolbag.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    -another subdiv prop, a radiator this time.
    radiador_01.jpg

radiador_02.jpg
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    Jaco wrote: »
    Quick sculpt for the GA sculpting thing.

BugsnBoobs.jpg

awesome work on this one!

Blaizer: nice clean modeling. Great job
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    for practice

The initial jump action is weak. The back legs don't extend enough to give upward motion, if you get what i mean. The climb up animation looks very nice though.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Jaco, leilei, mayaman, ebagg and Blaizer
    Lovely work!

Everyone who was a kid through the eightees and ninetees has to do fanart of tmnt eventually. :D

tmnt.png
  • edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to start concepting my own stuff instead of just using others concept art because I want to become a better overall artist.

Anyway I'm not a concept artist at all, and someone at work is just teaching me to paint now but this is my first attempt at a female character i want to make in zbrush. I'm working on a full body pose now.

colored1.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg wrote: »
    BrownieRTTexture01.jpg

Basing out Brownie's Runtime textures and dipping my toes into the Marmoset Toolbag.

Very cool man. Also very blue. I like the use of blue and orange together, but maybe bring some of the orange out into other regions of the character? Just a suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.