Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite wrote: »
    ah dang that's way too close, actually had this guy as my main ref

http://thumbnails.hulu.com/14/574/68587_512x288_generated__SLqoS9sghESjI4zuyOikgg.jpg

Dude, keep the koala, its super awesome. Even in the context of looking like an old, grumpy and quasi-decayed version of stitch.
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Desperately looking for work at the moment, so i did this to send along with the emails.

4542870875_9fe86a3000_o.png

Kite - So awesome yet again, do you have a website? I want to see moooore!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    1t8sq0.png

I could tweak this guy for ever!

My first character so
    I NEED ANATOMY CRITS!

I would love a paintover from someone! :poly134:
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    his arms look like onions or spinning tops, the upper arm is wayyy too bulky compared to the forearm. He's ridiculously square jawed too.

and from me...

cfc6cd1c6488b4a14ab004e83e9ea1af.png

6ec936839216b01f14eb2fb7553cc86d.png
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    kite, niiice. same workflow?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    larolaro wrote: »
    Desperately looking for work at the moment, so i did this to send along with the emails.

4542870875_9fe86a3000_o.png

Kite - So awesome yet again, do you have a website? I want to see moooore!

So that's what you look like! :P
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    damn kite that's one nice ass!!! mmm mmm mmm look at those tiny tight buttcheex! :P`
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    shotgun wrote: »
    damn kite that's one nice ass!!! mmm mmm mmm look at those tiny tight buttcheex! :P`

WORD. I think the boobs look a little wierd though, they're squeezed in a way that looks uncomfortable and unnatural. It even sort of detracts from the overall hotness IMHO. Or maybe they're just a little low on her torso, it could work if you just lifted the whole rack up a bit.

I'd still hit it either way, just for the record.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    WORD. I think the boobs look a little wierd though, they're squeezed in a way that looks uncomfortable and unnatural. It even sort of detracts from the overall hotness IMHO. Or maybe they're just a little low on her torso, it could work if you just lifted the whole rack up a bit.

I'd still hit it either way, just for the record.

yeah the boobs to me look like someone sucked on the finger of a rubber glove, injected resin into the fingertip of the glove and let it set

i dunno why i thought of something that ridiculous. i should have just said they look like avocados
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a low-mid poly cowboy, (red dead on the brain) got the head looking near how I want it too, hopeful better presented than my last attempts, and Included a wire :)
    cowboy1s.jpg
    cownboy1.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poles are my nightmare
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    the geo is just weird, dont tesselate triangles like that.
    People always link to the same old pics and diagrams of edgeloop flow for a reason, it actually will make your life a lot easier and your mesh a lot cleaner and easier to optimise if you model with established techniques
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    awesome20rock.jpg

i tried sashas tutorual about stones on cliffs and it worked pretty well too
    the base structure needs some noise too thou
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Kite that is sexy. The face looks really believable , would love some closeups ;)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    kite she's beautiful... dont change the ass or boobs, she looks great as god made her
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Kite, that model is pretty damn sick. I will say I used to know guy who was a welder and even with wearing heavy-ass shirts, his arms were fucking beet red and jacked-up from the intense heat of the torch. She would be burnt as hell.
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    bbob - Maybe a parody of stitch who's been heavily featured on the futuristic version of to catch a predator?

larolaro - awesome work as usual rob, still haven't put a site together, i did snag andynisbet.com with the idea of just doing a blog or something, haven't figured out how to set it up yet.

conte, cheers conte no just a base mesh, not really liking the sphere> remesh for people, they're too subtle. It's better for more exploratory designs i reckon

fearian - there's a stab at a paintover, http://www.adventuresincommuting.com/doodle.jpg not that great. I think the best idea if its your first character is to grab lots of photo reference and just flat out trace them in the viewport until the shapes and volumes start sticking in your head, i found it helpful to model out every main element, ribcage, pectorals, etc then combine them

arrangemonk., looks real nice, is that sascha heinrichs procedural rock tutorial? been trying it too, it's really good.

felipefrango, cheers for the crit, i'll probably not do too much to them now, maybe tweak later but they're supposed to be fakey cakey + gravity

harry ' sucked on the finger of a rubber glove, injected resin into the fingertip of the glove and let it set '
    This pretty much exactly describes what i was going for hahaha

Vitor - thanks i'll do some later, need to polish the sculpt, very rough and her eyes are set a bit weirdly in the head.

8ftspider- hmm, ok the welding mask is now a fashion accoutrement. or futuristic cold heat torch?

thanks for the feedback guys
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    arrangemonk, the stone texture is quite nice, but I'd suggest gathering dirt and small plant live in concave areas of the geo, and probably try to do some thermal shedding erosion/cracking stuff
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Did these to go along with an interview i'm doing for http://characterdesign.blogspot.com/

4561264222_976eca2fd4_o.png
    4560637207_aaa4978d8e_o.png

Any of you guys need some designs doing? Any job spots open for a character artist? I'm so desperate for work right now :C
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little update on my vampfish guy
    VampFish_03.jpg
    VampFish_04.jpg
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done the majority of the base for the body, I have no idea where to start on the hat and boot's, I also need to start adding some detail, wrinkles, holsters etc

cowboy3.jpg
    cowboy2.jpg
    cowboywire.jpg

And loving the vampfish guy, perhaps some vamire like fangs would suit him nicely too?
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    progress1.jpg
    some progress on my current udk project :) the entire mesh is 1 piece except for his beard, and you can ignore the belt blockout i have in xray mode, its gonna be replaced soon

slowly but surely coming along, and obviously there are probably some problems. any tips would be greatly appreciated, but keep in mind i plan on finishing topology errors after i get him to a more complete state.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    @rawtalent: why do you meshsmooth a obviously triangulated model?
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because it looks better, I'm not really sure on how to un-triangulate it any help would be appreciated
    Last update for this evening
    cowboyhat.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    It doesn't look better, are you really modelling those heads? it feels that you are using a base mesh head and you are simply deforming it.

You must know how to detris a model, just delete the Lines between the quads.
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope scratch modelling , and thank you I am however at a loss with the boots every try I make they look like banana's :/
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    larolaro: excellent, your portfolio kicks arse.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Rob, have you thought of doing some merch with your own illustrations? Not that it'll get you a living, or give you money RIGHT NOW, but if you've got nothing better to do, some shirts or stuff?

Heck if you were to just illustrate a (known, public domain, like Alice in wonderland or something) story I'd gladly buy a book.

It's a pity I'm flat broke too, or I would've commisioned a self-portrait.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    blenderhead - i think you are missing the curvature along the roots of the fingers, might also be worth stepping back from quads and focussing on the main planes of the hand before making things neat and square? its hard to concentrate on form and make things quaddy at the same time

ocarian - very nice model

3d sketch of the mechanic girl from the thumbnail sheet, my little inner censorius concept guy thinks she'd probably be wearing more practical clothes for welding and grubbing about with engines. but maybe former exotic dancer turned mechanic? dunno but I clearly need to get out more...

cargoshark_bunny.jpg

is it wrong to masterbate to this?

Awesome work man...I love her posture
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
    low odor wrote: »
    I love her posture

more like posterior amiriiiiite

personally, i don't mind the exposed midriff, but i would like to see some mechanic tools, perhaps in a belt or satchel of some kind.
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    low odor wrote: »
    is it wrong to masterbate to this?
    maybe low odor, maybe. but it feels so right!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite. awesome boobs. do want!
    machine2.jpg
    vehicle by me. some wires are missing. but you get the point.
    kbye
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Removed for now.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i kinda got sidetracked the other day playing with blendshapes - fun!
    blendshapin.jpg
    (pic-link)
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    RAWTalent : your a strange one. The oxymoron user name aside, People are trying to HELP you, but it appears your too busy 'working' to listen to any comments made so far? If you just look thru about the last 5 pages like I did, you will see examples of excellent faces, wireframes,etc you can LEARN a LOT from this stuff, its just a case of you actually doing it, instead of just dismissing help off hand.

You need REFERENCE! and use it, I do it all the time, just forget about using it, like I know how things look, yea right, sure, thats why I struggle to get things right. So, use REFERENCE, and LISTEN to people who are TRYING TO HELP.

Nite.

excellent work on this post, kite and others, Neox, lovely! I was going to do a sanders gal, but gave up heh, too curvy! you got it down!
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    BigErn wrote: »
    RAWTalent : your a strange one. The oxymoron user name aside, People are trying to HELP you, but it appears your too busy 'working' to listen to any comments made so far? If you just look thru about the last 5 pages like I did, you will see examples of excellent faces, wireframes,etc you can LEARN a LOT from this stuff, its just a case of you actually doing it, instead of just dismissing help off hand.

You need REFERENCE! and use it, I do it all the time, just forget about using it, like I know how things look, yea right, sure, thats why I struggle to get things right. So, use REFERENCE, and LISTEN to people who are TRYING TO HELP.

Chill out, can't force these kind of things ;)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kite: this immediately reminded me of a friend with the posture and personality and bunny ears...wait what? anyways its awesome love how comfortable she looks, great work on the folds in the pants and the silhouette is killer as usual.

build: love the gear as its developing the pants are super interesting and fresh looking, gotta say before the hair i would work on getting the face right your cheekbones are way too high and the brow is a bit shallow, could use some more angles to see whats up exactly but something is defiantly off on the face. good luck with the updates!

thomasp: love the expression

Rawtalent: I think you should start a WIP thread in pimping and previews, that way more people will be able to give you advice in an organized way. also as BigErn said, you need to slow down, speed comes with experience and practice, but if you are not doing things properly from the start you will just develop bad habits that will take even longer to sort out.

-Woog
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    kite. as ever man bringing the fresh goods. really motivating stuff. maybe she could sport a flip down blast shield for those titties ? post more mechs and thumbs. please

bitmap. awesome ! any chance you could post a 360 of that bad boy ?

build. diggin' the design of those pants. but. while i'm always keen on some ass. any rationale behind leaving that near portion out ? ( beyond us all being keen on some ass )

thomasp. good head !

arrangemonk. good rock !

larolaro. dude. your drawings are always sweet. love to see more

a ' quick ' sketch ( 'bout 1.5 hours ) playing with ' the kite method '. mushing together of spheres

reMush.png
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    jm_troll.jpg
    WoW fan art. Futsed around building this from a sphere and some zbrush primitives this evening.

Kite:.... super inspiring man!
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    Kite... you're such a machine <3

Cuz moof (coldkodiak) did a gladiator i kinda, wanted to contend?

Sweet dude! Rawr, gladiatorrrrs
    lol

Man I'm ususally feeling pretty good about where I'm chugging along in 3d stuff till I see Kite's work. wtf... sooooo fucking good. It's like fine wine but with the benefits of tits and other cool stuff.. and tits y'know?
    jeez.

panchowip1.jpg

finishing up pancho. Just discovered body paint 3d.. like wtf where have I been. Shoulda been on that ages ago.

newhead1.jpg

also have this head in zbrush I did a couple weeks ago that I plan to expand upon at some point.
    seeing kite's cargo girl gives me some ideas :D
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    ...puss in anti-boots?

thats one of few marmoset shots which i think really make use of marmoset's "look" btw. Good'un
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love how that is shaping up tacit math
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    just playing with this, barely touched the textures yet.

Church_4.jpg

on the left is an alpha'd plane for detail on top of my church,
    and to the right is a simple window.
    174 tris and 512 maps
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    vreza wrote: »
    did some stuff in max and unity. intended for "under construction" page of my portfolio website.

screengrabbed from unity

54506931.jpg

82954317.jpg

nice. Reminds me of Josh Keyes' work
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    and a thumb spinny :

musher.gif
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    21ezxig.jpg

PING! Done! Second charecter in our game.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

cargoshark_bunny.jpg

Girl reminds me of this character:

tank.jpg
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Oh god :)