• lluc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc polycounter lvl 14
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    well that part was a bit obvious, i was kinda going for what spaceship, since its part of a fairly popular but old space rts game. witch probly gave this away.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    a penis spaceship?

:D
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did i know that would come up :P
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc wrote: »
    homeworld 3?

oh wow i didnt even see that post before mine. i was thinking of doing the mothership first but that seems like a lot of work so i went for a interceptor for now.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    MoP wrote: »
    ibanez_wip_07.jpg

IT IS MADE OF FLOORBOARDS

lol, i was about to mention the woodgrain until i read your comment.

i'm sure you already know, but most guitars are made from quartersawn wood, so the grain tends to go from middle to edge instead of lengthways.

but ibanez are... weird in their manufacturing process, and yours could well defy the norm. either way, that render is fantastic man... i'd love to see some wear and tear on that bad boy though.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GA Heads of Horror mini, Karloff the Uncanny:
    KED_FrankenMumm_04.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    just bought me max 2011 and thought i should finally get my head into mental ray... i have to say its not my world - beeing used to realtime rendering (woah its sooo slooooow) or the max scanline as the best rendering solution for me so far...
    now gonna add some clothing and stop messing around with stuff i don't understand... why is the photographic exposure control so... hum... fucked up?

chriss_07.jpg
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It's unfortunate that radiosity rendering isn't your thing, Neox. Because that render of the girl you've been working on looks sweeeeet!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its just like fishing!
    you wait for ages, and then...
    you'll find out that all you've catched is an old boot.

sucks big times :D
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Mop: That's a sexy guitar, makes me want to buy one, so I can look at it.

Neox: Hot. Been trying to adapt to Mental ray and its quirky lighting system myself recently. Gave up for the time being, but you did get a pretty good result anyway :D
    Looks like a hand painted toy model.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great neox!

Dont be afraid to turn down your bounces and resolution to see if you got it right before rendering.

also some reading on MR. http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2007/09/famous-mental-ray-myths.html
    http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/
  • nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    Neox that looks awesome, I'm still curious on how you approached the hair.

A little sketch project, portfolio piece in the making.
    Engineer.jpg

John-Casey.jpg

-Frank
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fatcap: Awesome! As others have said...head is ginormous though.
    Love the quality to the skin. Very fleshy looking. Skin shader?

toony_rj.jpg

Just a test to see if I could do something in a more cartoony style. Its a self portrait, which is why he's so ugly.

Ryan I think you may be on to something with this style. I could tell immediately that it was you, and I love the style that it has.

More?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »
    just bought me max 2011 and thought i should finally get my head into mental ray... i have to say its not my world - beeing used to realtime rendering (woah its sooo slooooow) or the max scanline as the best rendering solution for me so far...
    now gonna add some clothing and stop messing around with stuff i don't understand... why is the photographic exposure control so... hum... fucked up?

chriss_07.jpg

There are 2 Points to look for if you are using the photographic exposure control:

1.It heavily depends on the sizes of the scene
    2.You have to use the MR Lights for it to work correct(not 100% sure about this, but i think it was something like that)
  • undoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks great Neox. I hate rendering too :)
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
    finishing this dude:

31e9459d6bec66c928e5d1d0da8a7.jpg
  • roB0T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the AOs are baked now i can finally start texturing. :D
    13.jpg
    14.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    There are 2 Points to look for if you are using the photographic exposure control:

1.It heavily depends on the sizes of the scene
    2.You have to use the MR Lights for it to work correct(not 100% sure about this, but i think it was something like that)

1. the scene is not really large, ok she is not 1,60 high but 2meters but even smaller its still superdark, even with MR lightsources, which brings me to 2. most tutorials use photometric or MR area lights, however both no matter what have to be turned suuuuuper bright to have an impact on a standard exposure setting like lets say 1/100 shutter speed, 4 f-stop, 200 Iso, nothing too fancy, still black. So now there are three ways to compensate that, which i know of, first would be turning the lights brighter, so bright the max viewport preview is white, yay superb for previewing. Secondly turning the iso higher, f-stop smaller or raise the shutter speed, so more light can pass through and thirdly its the strange Unitless behaviour, which seems to me like a hack and works pretty much like turning the lights brighter but without the downside of having the scene superbright.
    However, no matter which one i chose its grayish, colourless, and lacks contrast in the end, so i tend to turn off the photographic exposure control and just play around in photoshop.

@muzz: i do, but still a minute per image is a minute i have to wait, something that just doesn't exist in realtime :P and of course i know zaps page, a lot of stuff to read still but already helped me a lot

Skamberin: good thats the look i wanted to achieve :)

nilknarf815: how i approached what exactly?

@Scooby: thats really nice i agree with adam, i think you could improve the shape of the eyes and the flow of the nose further more, the nose looks a bit anorganic with those simple holes cut in it for the nostrils
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on this for a while now, I'm not entirely sure about the scratches :/

svd7.jpg

svd6.jpg

(Also there are some horrible bake errors on the stock and the muzzle but i was going to fix those later )
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    GA Heads of Horror mini, Karloff the Uncanny:
    KED_FrankenMumm_04.jpg

wow man, i really like the idea behind, it was a great actor!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Been working on this for a while now, I'm not entirely sure about the scratches :/

svd7.jpg

svd6.jpg

(Also there are some horrible bake errors on the stock and the muzzle but i was going to fix those later )

Aye scratches are a bit much...are the on concave surfaces on the clip? That wouldn't happen.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye scratches are a bit much...are the on concave surfaces on the clip? That wouldn't happen.

It hasn't come across very well in that but all those surfaces that are scratched on the mag are convex
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    Neox wrote: »
    its just like fishing!
    you wait for ages, and then...
    you'll find out that all you've catched is an old boot.

sucks big times :D
    nah uh! Get a chicken bone with a little bit of meat, dump in in a pot of water with the boot, boil it, and ol' boy you got yourself some soup!!!
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeeeesh. Super long absence. Got a jorb. Quit my jorb. GDC etc.

doomshine.jpg

shovel.jpg

boomshine.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    props to anyone who can guess what i started working on
    Capture-46.png

homeworld 2 intercepter
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Spent a little too long on the stock but I think it paid off. The trunnion is fully modeled so I'm going to set it up so that it will actually fold--a small thing, but a nice way to differentiate it from Racer445's original model. And yeah 445 if you're reading this, I will make a donation once I finish this :)

2dvn11y.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proxzee wrote: »
    homeworld 2 intercepter
    yes prox, btw any clue what happend to the CA vent? Very nice work btw, your handpainted skills have improved a lot since that blizzard env on the blog.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »
    wow man, i really like the idea behind, it was a great actor!

glad ya like it man,

here's a pic of the diff head states, the likeness isn't exact, but i think it works with the "makeup"
    KED_FrankenMumm_05.jpg
  • Insulaner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    NewR1.jpg

how about that one? this or my current one?

Design looks good. Period.

However, I think the technical realization is rather badly. I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, and I know that HTML is a fairly boring thing to learn, but right now the site is loading pretty slowly(which isn't much of a big deal this days, I admit) and seems to be incredibly hard to update. I assume you made the site in Photoshop, judging by the way the images load up, so whenever you want to update your site, you have to change the layout and export everything again, right?
    Also, lightbox is very fancy, but I think I would prefer a link to another page, that just shows me all the pictures one after another, if I was an art director.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oledoi.png
    (concept not mine, found it on cghub, forgot the guys name...)
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes prox, btw any clue what happend to the CA vent? Very nice work btw, your handpainted skills have improved a lot since that blizzard env on the blog.

Thanks dude! I've been working really hard at it.

Ethan runs the CA vent now. It got moved to a new server, and isnt really the official vent.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    linkov wrote: »
    And this is important exactly why? I mean even if there is a few dozen artists from around the globe, who can recognize its source, doesn't really mean players who will be playing whatever game its made for, would care. Unless its bad, or cgtextures licence require artists to produce completely unrecognizable final textures. Which is, as far as I can remember, not true. Oh, and btw I can't recognize it, even tho I spent quite some time on that site =)

It doesn't matter in the case of an actual production asset but if its for your portfolio it definitely matters. If you want to showcase texture painting skill it should be clear that you worked the photo source material into a surface that you pre-visualized and that you aren't confined to creating surfaces that already exist as photos. When other artists can easily recognize your texture as being close to a straight photo applied to a model it doesn't give them much information about how well you can actually paint a texture.
  • DeathByChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathByChris polycounter lvl 17
    Okay I'm calling this done for now.

grunk_model.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I have no idea if I'm actually going to do anything with this, but it feels great to be sculpting again after a three month hiatus.

UXzP8.jpg
  • ICESPADE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ICESPADE polycounter lvl 15
    Something I've been working on for awhile
    One of the characters from a cool movie I seen. Sukiyaki Western

WIP_SUK.jpg Sukiyaki
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Blackdulaz : guys name is in the jpg file name if you downloaded it from CGhub :P Great feature actually!
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    Removed for now.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    She looks pretty masculine for a female character. Tone down the tendons in the neck and lighten up on the Adam's Apple a little if you want her to look a little more feminine. Softening the jawline a little couldn't hurt.
  • nilknarf815
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nilknarf815 polycounter lvl 6
    Deathbychris: that looks awesome, I'm always impressed with low poly done right.

Swizzle: I'm happy that you got back into sculpting, looks like we are in for a treat.

Icespade: The shirt seems really really thin and tight.

Neox: I what I meant is how did you sculpt the hair, is it done completely in zbrush? Sorry for my noob question, I'm new to 3d.

Alright a pic for talking. A final sketch of my next attempt of modeling.
    John-Caseycombo.jpg

-Frank
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    downarmy polycounter lvl 7
    Re rendered my stuff using xoliul shader here is what i came up whit, i cant use the shadow because i am using max 2009 and i have a ati card...

VPGRAB_T34FinalV2FX02_Camera01_143.png
    VPGRAB_T34FinalV2FX02_Camera01_250.png
    VPGRAB_T34FinalV2FX02_Camera01_351.png
  • build.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    build. polycounter lvl 11
    swizzle thanks for the inputs. tweaked a little bit.
    dammit i thought i was getting somewhere. :poly124: i have an awful time with females.
  • ICESPADE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ICESPADE polycounter lvl 15
    CJE: Nice work on that guitar. I was working on one of my own. Never did finish it.
    ScoobyDoofus: I love the the look of it. Can't wait till I get on that
    LoneWolf: Guy or girl. I love you..lol.. Your work is awesome. I want to ask you so many questions, but I know you probably get that a lot
    Fat_Cap: That the lighting is nice and I love the face the most. Everything else is cool to.
    nilknarf815: He is wearing a skin tight shirt. Can't really good a good pic for ya
    Check out clips. Youtube. Sukiyaki Western. If you have time..
    ;)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    build: her head is so small it's making her look like a really weird looking dude with tits. Face is sorta androgynous but that can change with hair.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: I what I meant is how did you sculpt the hair, is it done completely in zbrush? Sorry for my noob question, I'm new to 3d.
    ah no its just planes in the shapes of the strands, with a shell modifier to give them thickness and then sculpte over them
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    oledoi.png
    (concept not mine, found it on cghub, forgot the guys name...)

look's great! can't wait to see more on this.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    lovin that silhouette blackuladz

bed time sketch

monkey.jpg
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Something ive been working on recently, another starcraft image =)
    Still got some polishing left to do and a moody background would be nice but here goes:

21o0pc.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really awesomely wel rendered piece nelis! Im not a fan of the strong outline on the flames or the slightly unbalanced pose but everything else is great
This discussion has been closed.