Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto V

Replies

• Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Single player is epic who cares about the multiplayer that isnt even out yet and nobody knows nothing about.

The detail is incredible. They've made the rampages in context, why wouldnt Trevor kill hundreds of people because a guy refused to share his beer. Then the rampage ends and your surrounded by a movie scene, bodies everywhere and music still playing in one of the dead guys cars. You balk at the horror of what you've done then you console yourself "Trevor did it". And you make a hasty exit leaving a blood trail from your tires.

I'm pretty sure I came across a scene from No Country for Old men as well.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Justin, i agree that's how we come across. sorry about that!

My issue with it is this:
    Online was advertised as being included in the game. included - meaning, at least in my mind, that the price i paid for the game also pays for the online experience.

now, money in the game is used to fund various things, from weapons and ammo, to equipment needed to pull off a heist. since (it seems so far anyway) that the online experience is built around having a crew and pulling off heists, it also stands to reason that you will need to cover the costs of at least the first few heists. and if the only way to do that in a timely manner is to buy in-game dollars with real world money... well then i have a problem with that, because that doesn't sound like it's included the way it was advertised.

on top of that, we also don't know anything more about multiplayer, what if part of the experience is based on "invading" other players instances of the city to start a gang war? in that respect whoever has the most cash has access to the most powerful guns, and yes in GTA:V that's a pretty huge difference, the minigun is ridiculous for example.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    so far everyone is just guessing. Does Rockstar have a long history of making rash, unplanned, me-too type of decisions?
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    Everyone is an expert on something that doesn't even exist to the public yet, except in rumored early testing phase that is covered by a strict NDA. So either you are violating that NDA or you are just guessing blindly.

If the pay to win changes everything, so what? You have no one to blame but the larger gaming community for being so blind with their (or their parent's) money. Do something else with your life. Go outside, talk to girls, or play with just your friends who don't want to buy into the pay system.

I highly doubt whatever happens will completely ruin the online experience in anyway. Unless you are one of those people that have to be top of the leader board in a fake world.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Waiting until they have release everything can be a two-edge sword.

On one hand, we got some facts to actually commenting on, however by then it's too late to complain about it, or at least, much harder.

On the other hand, as we have seen before (XBone), it helps to actually put up a stink before everything is set in stone, aka official. This way the other 'side' can see how the wind blows and decided if there is something to it and adjust according. Or take the blowout of doing something that will become really unpopular.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I'm surprised that none of you have posted any in game shots of stuff you've done.

I think I need to get my console out of storage, but i will wait for the Online launch before buying to see how that event goes.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i have more pics to share...

dunn really care on how low res imgs are whe they get saved when you take a pic with your phone. also, it seems to add some effects that darken the img. Also that it has to go through social club... i rather it saved to my ps3. Right now mainly cuz i have tried to take pics of everything, and most of the time i get a Rockstar Social Club service is unavaible. So prbly overloaded haha

But here.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    got no capture device D: I dont like the result of in game phone instagram thing ...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I dressed Franklin up as Stringer Bell, it makes it more fun. Haven't done any selfies yet, will later. Can only imagine how awesome this game will be on PS4, sharing videos of the crazy awesome moments you encounter in the game!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    There's a lot of random moments I've encountered. Wish there was a replay feature to upload like gta 4 pc. Had a hilarious event happen where a cop was chasing a guy who hits a fire hydrant flies out and the cops kill the dude but then people run over the cops and all of a sudden theres a shootout happening on the street. Laughing my ass off. Also seen stuff where firetrucks will go around and around then just blast off in a random direction. Havent seen that bug again since i first encountered it :(
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah!! love those moments :) Was walking to a car after a bad parachute jump (highway walking), when a guy zips past me shooting, 3 cops followed, but one hit the slight hip on the rail and flew 8ft into the air spinning and eventually crashing into the other side of the highway causing a huge pileup. I never drew my gun, but was shocked it all juat happened. so badass.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think those random (scripted) events are what would really draw me to the world...just to see a city going through the day to day motions. Based on what I have been reading here, it's almost like you'd never have to unholster your weapon, just walk around and pick up the left overs...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    There are a lot of random scripted encounters both as you travel around the world (minimap flashes when you're near one), random quests/encounters via property, as well as just straight up "life" happening in the city. There are rarely never sirens blaring, where some police are chasing someone, pull him over, or get in a firefight.

Some are really quick "hey that guy stole my bike!", to "hey im stranded out in the middle of nowhere, can you take me to meet my boyfriend?" (with full entertaining dialog, and fun stuff), to stumbling upon some running cars one of which's horn is blaring because a dead body is resting on it, and there are other bodies littered around - like there was a huge fight, and you can clean up what they were fighting over (got $25k from one of those). Sometimes the people you save/help will return the favor later, a guy I helped get his bike back was the CEO of some company, and gifted me $100k in stock of his company. They started doing well and the stock went up 1230% and made a lot of money :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone whose car was stolen ended up sending me a suit :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i love the random encounters like "can you take me to x place?" if you're playing as Trevor, you can kidnap them and take them to an Altruist camp haha.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    haha yeah, i dropped two drunk people who were having sex in the back of the car off there :) Trevor also told the guy that he would suck his kidney stones out... lol.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Actually they really need to port the game to the new consoles, since they will have that 'capture the last 5/15 minutes gameplay' thing. Would be perfect for that.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT: Whoops, someone told that story on the previous page.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Switched to Trevor lastnight before logging off for the night. He had tied someone to the bottom of a pier, and was yelling at him that trickle-down economics just does not work. Then Trevor just walks away...

...so fucking random, I love it.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    lol yeah, the Trevor switch things are great. Had one where he was patting down some dirt in the middle of nowhere with a shovel, looked around and walked away. Another time i switched to him and he had 3 stars. So good!!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Trevor is by far my favorite character :P
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Trevor is by far my favorite computer game character for YEARS.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But he's psychotic! You people scare me.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i actually don't think he's psychotic. i think he's emotionally unfiltered.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I wouldnt say he is all psycho. Of the three characters, he is probably the most complex being the smartest, most human, rational, and perceptive characters of the bunch. He definitely does some psychotic shit, but his moral compass is as good as it is bad. He constantly shows extreme compassion and care for people.

On missions he is also rarely the guy "in the shit." Remember one point where he remarks that he doesn't want to be "on the ground."
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love these back stories!

Went to Walmart today just to, you know look at the game....:)...

They were sold out....bummer.lol.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's totally psychotic, and non empathetic but I havent gone far with him but I can see why you guys like him. The way he gave advice to Franklin and yeah his honesty. He's the player how the player would come across if they were real.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the thing i hated most about Franklin (and Lemar for that matter), is the following (spoilers for the easily offended):
    NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA FUCK NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA SUCK MY DICK NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA CREEPIN ON A NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGANIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA NIGGA

it pissed me off to no end.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    P.S.

i went back and redid the final mission with the other two endings (i'm sure everyone chose "the third choice" on their first playthrough). Michaels ending was pretty boring, Trevors ending was brutal as fuck.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    How come you got your hate on over a couple of gangbangers cussing and saying nigga, but not over Trevor's psychopathic murder and torture rampages? Not a rhetorical question, btw.

hah, yeah, that was being discussed during the lunch drive today. Why do games have to hold their villains & antiheroes to such high moral standards? Would I be correct in guessing that no white characters outside the possibility of a cartoonish nazi skinhead uses the term as a racial slur?
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    ... by simply saying or writing the word nigger, I instantly become some sort of racist....

BANNED.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Today I learn that Perna is a
    n armchair
    psychologist.

I do appreciate that at different points in the story all 3 of them have had a chance to be compassionate people.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Yeah, I may have over-loaded a little in my words Per :) I don't fully agree that is is a black and white a psychopath still tho. He is very complex, and don't think he can be pinned down to one direction. There are other layers to him that show through where I started questioning that, but he is still full blown crazy. I think they wrote a soft spot in him in the middle of the game to make the stuff later (
    Juggalo cousin and fiance massacre, strip club owner
    ) really hit you in the nuts with crazy. He is also incredibly loyal, and I don't think psychopaths are very loyal to others? He would be a great character to analyze in full detail, i bet some one out there will write a dissertation on him someday.

I agree about Franklin. He seems like the most sane, and "caught in the middle" character. Between Trevor and Michael's antics, to his gangster friend, and aunt, people don't really treat him wonderfully. I really like Franklin, have the most time played as him :)

I don't really care for Michael at all. I feel he is less empathetic and compassionate for his family despite what he says
    "I want my family back!"
    . He is a shitbag, driven only by his own success with little concern for everyone around him. Still like playing as him though just not as much, he's my Skylar White.

One other comment, I've read a lot of posts and comments from friends and people saying they can't relate to these characters, which triggered a different thought. While playing games, do our brains automatically assume the role that we "are" that character in that world now? I'm not sure how everyone else sees it, but I know I feel more involved that way. However, with GTAV I have tried a different approach, since I couldnt really relate to anyone I tried playing it as a viewer as opposed to a player, as if it was a movie or television show. Not sure if it was designed that way or if I'm just now catching on to trying this, but it has improved my impressions of the game and allowed me to enjoy things I thought I wouldn't (Trevor and Michael).
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    When is Trevor ever motivated by true selfless empathetic compassion?

while it may be covering his ass,
    when the juggalo was asking him "what that red stuff is" all over his clothes. He chokes, unable to say "blood" and that he just slaughtered this idiot kid's cousin. He is protecting him from the truth by hiding his evils. While its probably not clear-cut pure-goodedness, I felt he genuinely had empathy for that kid's well being, as well as his own well being for not wanting to lose a friend. I feel too, it comes down to the actor's delivery of the words as well as the actions. Reading this, its pretty selfish, but i felt the actor had genuine compassion in his voice during that bit.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    moose wrote: »
    while it may be covering his ass,
    when the juggalo was asking him "what that red stuff is" all over his clothes. He chokes, unable to say "blood" and that he just slaughtered this idiot kid's cousin. He is protecting him from the truth by hiding his evils. While its probably not clear-cut pure-goodedness, I felt he genuinely had empathy for that kid's well being, as well as his own well being for not wanting to lose a friend. I feel too, it comes down to the actor's delivery of the words as well as the actions. Reading this, its pretty selfish, but i felt the actor had genuine compassion in his voice during that bit.
    I didn't know it was the cousin himself I thought it was just his wife and he was in there mourning
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Perna, i didn't say i don't have a problem with the killing and all that. but personally i find that kind of writing "lazy". i'm not saying that gang-bangers should suddenly become harvard students in their vocabulary range... i dunno, that's just how it feels to me.

it also highlights the everlasting double standard... "THATS OUR WORD!"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perna, i didn't say i don't have a problem with the killing and all that. but personally i find that kind of writing "lazy". i'm not saying that gang-bangers should suddenly become harvard students in their vocabulary range... i dunno, that's just how it feels to me.

it also highlights the everlasting double standard... "THATS OUR WORD!"

Guess it's just culture shock? Sounds normal to me. I grew up in the south and heard both variations used allllllllllll the time.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    quite probably. in england, "nigga" is a stone-able offense.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I honestly can't believe we're having this conversation...

because its fun, and we're sharing our views on the game, the story, and characters. I'm not going to say I'm right, and I think I may have clouded judgement by way of the humor in some cases as you mentioned. I don't think they mask dirty deeds with humor everywhere, but I did not see it that way in that mission. Will play it again.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    military air base = INSTANT 4 STARS!

lol
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyeyes wrote: »

lol

Its always been like that :) Was in San Andreas and I think in Vice City (cant remember if its Vice city or vice city stories)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's soo hard to run in there and steal the chopper... tried like 4 times, best attempt ended up in dying while hotwiring the chopper.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you need to advance plan it, like get all the characters together in the same area so you can have some back up firepower....of course this is all from the view of an armchair, since I don't have the game yet.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Supposedly the easiest way is to be franklin, speed towards the gate, hit your "slow down" power, and bee-line it for the jets/helicopters whatever. By the time your power runs out, you should be at the vehicles before the alarm even goes off.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Crazyeyes wrote: »

lol

I tried to parachute into the base.... I had ROCKETS flying just past me. When I got close to the ground, I got shot down hard.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    J0NNYquid wrote: »
    Supposedly the easiest way is to be franklin, speed towards the gate, hit your "slow down" power, and bee-line it for the jets/helicopters whatever. By the time your power runs out, you should be at the vehicles before the alarm even goes off.

No

Follow the road south going through paleto bay towards the base, theres a hill where you can turn off the road and jump the military fence. You wont get detected until you're halfway down the runway and by then you're close to a jet
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    frell wrote: »
    No

Follow the road south going through paleto bay towards the base, theres a hill where you can turn off the road and jump the military fence. You wont get detected until you're halfway down the runway and by then you're close to a jet

Yes.

From the IGN GTAV Wiki:

Foolproof Way to Steal the Jet Fighter

Go to the military base as Franklin in a decently fast car with your special bar filled. Drive at the front gate at full speed and activate his driving ability just before you break through the gate arm. Make your first right and then a quick left and drive up the runway to the jet with his special on as long as possible. Most times you will reach the jet before the alarm even goes off. This works 9/10 times once you memorize the location and if you're not unlucky enough for a tank to happen to be right next to the jet. Fly away like a boss.

Both ways should work.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://youtu.be/Xj1owbyUC5c

I see other games like this and they feel really still... like its not a living place. GTA has changed that with this one.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    It's soo hard to run in there and steal the chopper... tried like 4 times, best attempt ended up in dying while hotwiring the chopper.

The way i did it was with trevor. Fast bike straight to the spot. Get out of bike turn on trev's ability and gtfo !!!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Per:

-After the torture sequence
    -When he meets Tracy again after so many years
    -Juggalo, blood.