Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto V

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    There is one where you collect 25k instead of 12500, so it's allot easier to clock up some cash (not that I've actually done it).
    Wheres is the 25k one? I didn't catch onto the assassinations being stock related until the last one. I made about $60k from it

and also

http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/rockstar-looking-for-programmers-for-porting-its-games-on-pc/

and also it turns out if you put a blacklight over the blueprint map that came with the collectors edition you see all the hidden stuff:

http://www.grandtheftautoforever.com/blog/2013/09/hidden-secrets-gta-v-blueprint-map/

and I think they might be pushing the multiplayer to 32 players this time: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/GTA-5-Online-Mode-Supports-32-Players-Multiplayer-Activities-Listed-59234.html

Just beat it... That ending........
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Is anyone having issues with the shitty ass camera? Especially on foot. You`ll be running, and the camera will start shifting to your left or right, as if it's focusing on something important, but there is nothing there? Its so frustrating during gun fight missions where im trying to run forward while trying to shoot people, but then it puts the camera at the wall, which means me holding straight up makes me run to the wall instead.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    you can take mission from Lester as Franklin
    usually he will give you hint what stock going to go down what stock going to go up.
    like cigarete, just before the mission he mention one cigarete going down one going up drasticallly after you blackmail one of the cigarette , so buy tons of them, the stock goes up after the mission.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    $1 Billion dollars can't be wrong...Congratz Rockstar!

*Edit: Yea that was silly.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    katana wrote: »
    $8 Billion dollars can't be wrong...Congratz Rockstar!

Last I heard it was just over 1 B.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah it was 1 billion after 3 days, 800 million the first day.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Trevor is such an amazing character. He is so complex, even when a lot of his motives are pretty simple. He's a compassionate anarchist, it's so great. There is so much subtlety to him. I love switching characters and coming in to some situation they are in. Switched to Trevor once, and some guy was on his knees, and trevor yelled "so what I didn't wash it!" So great.

Despite the uneaseyness of the tourture scene, that was such a beatutifully designed and well written mission. It totally felt like a television episode, and you were actually taking part of the story. Fucking brilliant. The torture stuff is no more than what happened on 24, just felt different because you were doing it.

Lester's missions for Franklin also rule, these missions really feel like television stories, it's great.

Love having the 3 characters too. Just as I start to get burnt out on the game I swap to someone else and lose another 2 hours. I may actually finish this GTA! I have given up on every one about 6 hours in.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    exactly correct.

the stocks system is also subtle enough that if you invested in a particular car brand, and then spent all day blowing up other brands, the stock on your investment would go up as well.

That works? Have you tried it?
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    finished it yesterday, decent game.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    moose wrote: »
    Trevor is such an amazing character. He is so complex, even when a lot of his motives are pretty simple. He's a compassionate anarchist, it's so great. There is so much subtlety to him. I love switching characters and coming in to some situation they are in. Switched to Trevor once, and some guy was on his knees, and trevor yelled "so what I didn't wash it!" So great.

Despite the uneaseyness of the tourture scene, that was such a beatutifully designed and well written mission. It totally felt like a television episode, and you were actually taking part of the story. Fucking brilliant. The torture stuff is no more than what happened on 24, just felt different because you were doing it.

Lester's missions for Franklin also rule, these missions really feel like television stories, it's great.

Love having the 3 characters too. Just as I start to get burnt out on the game I swap to someone else and lose another 2 hours. I may actually finish this GTA! I have given up on every one about 6 hours in.

RE - the torture scene:
    This scene revealed so much more to Trevors character than just about everything else (except for Patricia). Not spoiling it for anyone, but it really makes you rethink him.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Xoliul wrote: »
    That works? Have you tried it?

Yes.

i think this is part of their multiplayer bit though, if i've read correctly there are two stock markets in GTA:V. the LCE and BAWSAQ (i love that name haha). LCE is local to your machine, essentially a story mode stock exchange, while BAWSAQ is global and its stocks reflect what's going on across the Rockstar network?

what that means is that other people playing directly affect your experience (cool!).

if that's the case and i'm not mistaken, investing in AmuNation is going to be the best thing to do as soon as Online goes live.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    RE - the torture scene:
    This scene revealed so much more to Trevors character than just about everything else (except for Patricia). Not spoiling it for anyone, but it really makes you rethink him.
    Yeah, I haven't played far enough in to make a final decision on what I thought of that sequence. From a character development stand point it is quite effective, but at this point I'm still leaning towards the thought that it's tonally out of place and could have been handled better.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    so this is coming to pc eventually right? Im afraid I really cant justify buying a dieing console just to play it.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Ged wrote: »
    so this is coming to pc eventually right? Im afraid I really cant justify buying a dieing console just to play it.

According to what other people are saying, yes it will be ported to Pc and to some extend next-gen platforms, eventually milk the Ps4 and Pc later on. Like someone else mentioned the Ps4 and Pc codes are done and embedded in the game. But for marketing issues they prefer this form of release for now.

Am i correct ?

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    grab one for $80 on ebay
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    Are you sure your findings aren't just random coincidences? Because people have been trying to systematically manipulate stocks on gtaforums.com seemingly without any luck.

Also, exactly how stocks work is a mystery; the history values see, inaccurate, bawsaq behaves very weirdly, when it behaves at all.

I've seen weird behaviour myself, like a steadily inclining stock dropping "100%" (whatever that means) immediately after me dumping the majority of my cash into it.
    This is confusing me too. The Bawsdaq seems to be heavily influenced by the events of the singleplayer game - The assassin missions cause massive spikes for example, despite the fact that its supposed to be driven by collective player buying and selling.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    regarding the stock exchange. When you invest for the assassination missions, dont wait TOO long before you sell. It went up 30% within like 10 minutes, but i figured i would just sell after my next mission, hoping it would be even higher, but after the mission, the stock was back to where it started. :(
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No biggy, after I realized single player isn't attached to multiplayer I stopped worrying about moneyt. The last heist pretty much sets you though
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    frell wrote: »
    grab one for $80 on ebay

Ive got an old xbox360 I just want to play it at its best so I might just wait for it on pc or wait till its cheaper on xbox - ps3 does seem to look a little better, like slightly better texture filtering and maybe a bit more accurate lighting and shadows.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Jackablade wrote: »
    This is confusing me too. The Bawsdaq seems to be heavily influenced by the events of the singleplayer game - The assassin missions cause massive spikes for example, despite the fact that its supposed to be driven by collective player buying and selling.

yeah, if LCN is SP and Bawsaq is MP, why are some aassasin missions on Bawsaq? maybe that change is just for you, because you can affect that brand on MP too?

Also, seems bawsaq is bugged, no stock change. Probably related to rockstar servers (snapmatic, the photo thing, doesn't work so well either)

In my opinion, this is the best GTA ever. Didn't finish it yet, but the whole money things feels bad, there should be a way to do heist on your own. Seems like if you don't do the assasin missions at the correct time, you won't be able to buy the golf club (150m $)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BAWSAQ not working properly has to be down to Rockstar Social club servers not working at all. I haven't been able to connect a single time to them yet.
    Let's hope this stuff works properly once Online comes out...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    are we gonna get a polycount ps3 heist crew up and running for online?

DO WANT.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man PS3 heists count me in (:
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i am on for PS3. add me up!

glottis8@gmail.com
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Xoliul wrote: »
    360 plz.

I might have to subscribe to xbox gold again :D
  • MainManiac
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    if that's true, then my interest in online is gone.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Whoa... i really hope this has an explanation. I really didn't think Rockstar was that company :/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone attempted to access the store (Even though its disabled) and the game asks for this XML file:

http://prod.cloud.rockstargames.com/titles/gta5/xbox360/store/en/commerceData.xml

Where this text was found:

"Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character’s bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting."

I'm beyond pissed, as if $1b in 3 days wasn't enough. I really hope there is a huge movement against this, they may be willing to cancel it before October 1st

Most of all I'm pissed at rockstar for never mentioning it, no wonder online was delayed.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    According to that study the majority of F2P whales are males who are hardcore gamers, I doubt there will be a huge movement. With those stats, I wonder how many of the complainers secretly drop thousands of dollars into Candy Crush.

I don't mind it at all, it's more fun when I blow away someone that's obviously spent a lot of money. It's like getting to punch out that douchebag with the Ferrari that always double parks.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't mind it at all, it's more fun when I blow away someone that's obviously spent a lot of money. It's like getting to punch out that douchebag with the Ferrari that always double parks.
    That's rarely the case though. Usually pay2win games use the overpowered weapons to draw buyers in. You're still winning way more than someone who didn't put any money in

I'd much prefer paying a one-time payment of $8-15 to activate online rather than knowing people out there are just pouring their parents money in the game to have everything.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Better question is who the F actually cares if other people buy money? It's not like they`ll be in your game anyways. 16 players max, most people are going to create their own games with their own friends. private games and do your own thing. And whats money really do for you? if you`re in a game with them, is it going to give them some sort of advantage? Maybe in the first hour or two if they go buy the tank, but really, after that, you`ll be right up there with them and for free.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    That's rarely the case though. Usually pay2win games use the overpowered weapons to draw buyers in. You're still winning way more than someone who didn't put any money in

I'd much prefer paying a one-time payment of $8-15 to activate online rather than knowing people out there are just pouring their parents money in the game to have everything.

got some evidence to site, or is this just a gut feeling? It's interesting that LoL & Dota2 have such a large competitive gaming community if you can just pay to win.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got some evidence to site, or is this just a gut feeling? It's interesting that LoL & Dota2 have such a large competitive gaming community if you can just pay to win.
    Was referring to my experiences with planet side and APB, but I can see it being a bit friendlier when it comes to RTS games, because they have alot more room for player error

slipsius wrote: »
    Better question is who the F actually cares if other people buy money? It's not like they`ll be in your game anyways. 16 players max, most people are going to create their own games with their own friends. private games and do your own thing. And whats money really do for you? if you`re in a game with them, is it going to give them some sort of advantage? Maybe in the first hour or two if they go buy the tank, but really, after that, you`ll be right up there with them and for free.
    The matches you have to play to legitimately earn money will pin you against people who bought their way to better guns/vehicles
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    If it didn't have any effect on the game, why would people spend the money? It obviously, and logically, will.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had any issues in Planetside 2, if you could buy cert points with real money then it would be brutal.

In Blacklight Retribution I found I was landing around the same ranking as I do in most shooters - coming in around second to fourth place. Skill is still the deciding factor.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Blacklight Retribution I found I was landing around the same ranking as I do in most shooters - coming in around second to fourth place. Skill is still the deciding factor.
    GTA is much closer to the raw mechanics than other shooters. Car speed/health/handling, auto aim. You basically just press buttons, there isn't as much room for skill if your gun takes out chunks of health easily or your car can turn corners easily
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    WarrenM wrote: »
    If it didn't have any effect on the game, why would people spend the money? It obviously, and logically, will.

If people are given the illusion that whatever they are purchasing will have an effect, they will blindly spend their money.

I have no issue with Rockstar taking fools' money. Why should they stop at 1 billion when they can easily get 2? If you have an issue with it, don't spend your money. It's that simple.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We'll see. I really doubt it's illusory. That's not a long term money generator - people spending money to keep up with each other IS.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    WarrenM wrote: »
    We'll see. I really doubt it's illusory. That's not a long term money generator - people spending money to keep up with each other IS.

Agreed. Especially people that don't have that much time to play, will probably be a group that will spend money to make up for the lack of free time. As long as it doesn't directly interfere or hinder gameplay, I don't have a problem with it. It's not like i'm forced to pay. :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whatever the case, I really enjoy seeing GAMERTEARZ, keep them flowing.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    RE - the torture scene:

Yeah, totally. 53/69 story mission progress spoilers:
    Got a good hint of his actual values in the mission where you "save" Tracy from the Reality Show Audition ("She's your fucking daughter!" and him standing up for Tracy). Then the torture mission. Then Patricia, and losing Patricia (fucking heartbreaking). I'm just after that part now where you can see him unraveling, from killing the Juggalo's cousin and fiance (and then explaining what the red stuff was all over him was, and why the fiance can't come to the strip club), then the the strip club owner with his straight face. Seeing him lose his shit by figuring out who was buried in Michael's place has me worried, seems like it'd shove him completely over the edge. Hoping there will be some redemption with Michael kidnapped - but its hard to tell. This game has a great unpredictability to it, not in a Shamalan way, but in the great drama Sopranos/Breaking Bad way. You can see stuff coming, but don't quite know what.

I also am super impressed not only at the individual characters, but their subtlety in their relationships. Michael and Trevor truly feel like long term best friends. They fight, but they also listen and respond to one another. Trevor calls Michael out on bullshit once, and they had Michael listen and apologize. Franklin never feels forced, stands on his own very well as a new friend who is building trust and feeling everyone out. It's really refreshing to see and play it, it feels so mature and evolved from so many other games out there.

Its also great how Rockstar fully embraced the medium of games for story telling. I know this isn't their first rodeo in this idea, but feels almost perfect in GTA5. Feel like they can still push it, and can't wait to see what comes next. When they end a cut scene, the camera just transitions to you. When you enter a scene, its the same game camera and transitions to a nice establishing shot or straight into story. Its so much more immersive, and very graceful. They utilize every waking moment to tell a story, makes it feel like you're always "in" and never in two modes of the game, "game" and "cinematic."
    Great example is when the crew sharing their first heist stories on the drive to the bank in the north was amazing. They weren't just telling you back stories, they were bonding. They could have had them sit the night before drinking and sharing, but instead it was all v/o while you drove. It was a long ass drive, and made perfect sense to have them chat and shoot the shit on the way combining gameplay with story telling.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

you can? i thought the LoL and Dota2 stores were cosmetic only?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can? i thought the LoL and Dota2 stores were cosmetic only?

that's the joke - everyone automatically converts cash shop to pay to win. That's only really been popular in Asia and the gamers there are starting to resist it a bit as well.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    For those who asks why we would care about pay to win stuff, it's obvious if you take a look at a little game like Diablo 3. The gameplay changed because of pay to win. So yes, we should care if they make stuff like this, because it WILL affect those who don't pay, because the game itself will be changed to accommodate real money. Saying it won't, well frankly, you are a fool.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's the joke - everyone automatically converts cash shop to pay to win. That's only really been popular in Asia and the gamers there are starting to resist it a bit as well.
    Except it isn't only cosmetic in GTA

Its basically buying XP
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most of Polycount is full of fools when it comes to discussions outside of art and tech, it practically reads like Kotaku comments most of the time. You guys pretty much turned me off of playing most games anyway, so I doubt I'll pick up GTAV either way.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think most of Polycount is full of fools when it comes to discussions outside of art and tech
    So... the actual gamers? I know alot of polycount artists don't actually 'play' games. When they say 'play' they usually just go look around to see the world, and don't actually get exposed enough to the mechanics to realize their effects.

Supporting this type of F2P model is stupid. Its a slap in the face, I'd much prefer to pay routinely and know everyone I'm playing with is on the same page and is facing the same challenges.

Its probably just a case of "it brings money into the industry I work in so I don't mind, you shouldn't either"
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funny, I tend to get the feeling that Polycount is full of hardcore gamers, the consensus on a "should you play games thread" was a ton of shock and disgust aimed at the few who said they don't play or are cutting back.