Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto V

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ubisoft is known for putting a new skin on the same damned IP lol.

Tomb Raider is the first game in YEARS from them that didn't revolve around climbing up towers to unlock a new part of the map for fucks sake. even FarCry3 had that!
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Vice President of Creativity"

There's a job title.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    perna wrote: »
    I found the quote about interiors:

.. it's been all over the web for a long time. It must be made up , but I don't see anyone addressing that. I can't find the original source either, too many hits

and for all that, it actually FEELS the same size as GTA:IV.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Ubisoft is known for putting a new skin on the same damned IP lol.

Tomb Raider is the first game in YEARS from them that didn't revolve around climbing up towers to unlock a new part of the map for fucks sake. even FarCry3 had that!

lol.....tomb raider wasn't ubisoft :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You are insane if you think GTA V feels the same size as GTA IV. Even the city itself feels much larger/more to explore than IV and thats about 1/3 of the entire state of San Andreas.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Has anyone found Roman yet?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    YOu can tell they ditched the modular layout and used more landmass for enhanced gameplay and realism.

think continent ...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what content? ~40% of GTA:V map is wasted space.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's nice to have some urban sprawl instead of having just a city. But the city definitely looks smaller, is there some size comparisions between GTA V and Saints Row 4?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I think the online mode will really put the map to use. Players will most likely create tons of races and other events up in the mountains and down paths.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    city feels smaller but theres much more packed into it, so I'm fine with that

The "wasted space" is no different if it was just more city blocks, id much prefer that wasted space go towards a nice backdrop and a nice view to fly over. Plus how many races can be made with it
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Even if it is smaller, it doesn't feel that way to me. The environment in GTA: IV got stale for me very quickly, very monotone, same general setting, not a whole ton of variation. GTA: V's world just feels alive. I was just dicking around, driving a dirt-bike up through the mountain trails, and I came across some hikers. There was no mission in the area, no objective, and I didn't care. The world hasn't once felt too small for me, the different areas of the map offer so much variation, so much to look at, I can't wait to really search it all thoroughly, if for no other reason than to find stuff like those hikers.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The city feels way, way larger to me. Most of the comparisons I've seen show Los Santos to be larger than LC.

Per: The main highways in GTAV are 12 lanes wide (FYI). Also, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kip1zIXx9h8"]this[/ame].

Also, gir, you're out to lunch here man. "Wasted space". I actually laugh-out-loud.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I hope the military choppers can pick up cars against the drivers will in multiplayer
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone else getting hard lock ups on XBox? It's happened twice now, both times while I've been using Michael's television. Hoping my XBox isn't about to red-ring.
  • 4f6f3b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Anyone else getting hard lock ups on XBox? It's happened twice now, both times while I've been using Michael's television. Hoping my XBox isn't about to red-ring.

I've had my Xbox lock up once so far when I was trying to take a picture with the phone.
  • Blaizer
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    22nd of November sounds far too close. Rockstar wouldn't wait this long before beginning marketing it if were only another couple of months off.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I am actually very curious about the future of GTA-O. I mean, from the look of it it seems like the current complexity of the GTAV map would be a great framework for some crazy MMO developments ... and with the business models developed by Valve with user generated content taking the center stage, there could be some fantastic stuff happening in the future once the PC version comes out (if it is well optimized and can run on a variety of systems, that is). Very interesting stuff ...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, imagine an eco system of hats and items for GTA ... that might escalate into it's own economy, independent of the USA. :P
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I cant wait for Online mode.... Wow...

Anyone else tried lifting up traffic with a forklift yet :D
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Torch wrote: »
    Has anyone found Roman yet?

ummm yeah dont think thats gonna happen :P
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I never played 4 much, so i dunno too much about size comparison. All I care about though is that I`m 11 hours in and 27% done the game. not even half the missions are done. (the 27% refers to everything, not just main story missions)

But ya. technically, the world is probably bigger. Maybe not the city. But the whole map. However, that also includes the water and sky.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so i've been playing this game pretty much non-stop since i got it.

i think my largest observation would be that they should have launched it on nextgen consoles + pc only. i've got it on the ps3, a friend of mine has it on the 360, and while the visuals are good... you can absolutely tell that the tech is holding it back.

also, possibly more importantly, this game would absolutely be a console seller. the adoption rate of the new consoles due to this game alone would be ridiculous.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

i think my largest observation would be that they should have launched it on nextgen consoles + pc only. i've got it on the ps3, a friend of mine has it on the 360, and while the visuals are good... you can absolutely tell that the tech is holding it back.

also, possibly more importantly, this game would absolutely be a console seller. the adoption rate of the new consoles due to this game alone would be ridiculous.

Agreed gir,

They really have pushed this to the absolute maximum for current gen; it would have been nice to see how much of an impact it made for next gen..
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree too, but sometimes its wiser to sell something than developing it ad infinitum.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    releasing as launch title on nextgen? goodbye $800M first day sales...

My point actually, but good observation, the game you want to launch should be targeted at the most available console on the market. (check)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's a lesson learned. If you want to sell millions of units on launch day, do NOT be a launch title. Nobody has a console yet, dumb ass. :) Better to wait 6 months...
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True. Look at how many people buy Mario and Zelda re-releases on every. Single. Platform.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I've been having fun with the tow truck. Stealing random cars from strangers and dropping them off in the middle of nowhere.

Also Jet skis along the coast. Diving underwater. I need the scuba gear. Way too much underwater exploring to do without it.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just incase someone wanted to exploit a bug :P

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lw05OUcmj8"]GTA V: Infinite / Unlimited Money (Tutorial) - YouTube[/ame]
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10

I agree with that, but as other said it would inevitably have had a negative impact on their sales. While I do understand why they released it on the old consoles first, it kinda sucks having to wait for a PC version that might or might not come in the foreseeable future, if at all. It is also sad to see a game that looks that amazing suffer from the 9 year old boxes..

If I understand this correctly, they want to do the following: They sell their games on the 360 and ps3 first, because everyone that would buy one, already has. Score over a billion bucks on the first week. Then ride it out till the new consoles are released, meanwhile raking it in.
    Then maybe make some kind of console+controller+game bundle deal, or just offer the game separately. A lot of people will buy again, just to enjoy it on the new tech. Wait a while for sales to reach their peak and then release for PC. For the rest of the people that want to buy it there. Because then, piracy (if that's even a worry for them) won't matter thaaat much, since they already made full use of the previous platforms.

What do you guys think?
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5

Well, now they're gonna get to sell it twice. Hell, three times if the PC release happens on a separate date from the next gen ports.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems logical. So, hang in there master race. You'll be playing ... eventually.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/grand-theft-auto-v-worldwide-160000253.html

Grand Theft Auto V® Worldwide Sales Surpass $1 Billion In First Three Days
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    uh.... doing the assassination missions has led me to have ~$400m with Franklin, and i'm at about 60% completion.

seriously, listen to the phone call with Lester, he tells you what to invest in, and when. do the assassination, invest EVERYTHING into what he tells you to, and about 2 hours later sell all your shares.

fucking easy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been having fun with the tow truck. Stealing random cars from strangers and dropping them off in the middle of nowhere.

Also Jet skis along the coast. Diving underwater. I need the scuba gear. Way too much underwater exploring to do without it.
    The firetruck is where it's at. Squirting people with the hose usually results in a bunch of angry, wet people chasing you down the street.

I think the most amusing thing I've seen happen so far is some guy that I'd hosed jumping in his car and taking off after me, ramming into the back of my truck, flying out through the windscreen and faceplanting into the firetrucks rear end.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    If you knew about that beforehand, yes. Otherwise you have to just be plain lucky, as once you're past that bit you can't replay it.

I totally forgot I invested shares. Is there a quick way to get to that site? Also I havent downloaded this iFruit app it keeps bugging me about. Anyone use it? For the longest time I thought it was the phone ingame :P
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I totally forgot I invested shares. Is there a quick way to get to that site? Also I havent downloaded this iFruit app it keeps bugging me about. Anyone use it? For the longest time I thought it was the phone ingame :P

You can do it online here.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/bawsaq

Or just go to your phone. Internet. Financial, and there is 2 links there. I go to bawsaq.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    If you knew about that beforehand, yes. Otherwise you have to just be plain lucky, as once you're past that bit you can't replay it.

there's a mission that teaches you about the stocks system before you start all the assassination missions.

i lost a LOT of money with Mike before i started getting the tips from Lester. then i made bank haha.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    anybody else feel like story mode is a giant tutorial to prep us for online?
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I only make around 10k or so on each trade after assassination missions.

I usually forget about them and they go down :(.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Want.... GTA.... Online...
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Isaiah Sherman, is you body ready for the weight gain ?

;)

Joke aside, im going to sit tight like a grownup and wait until the Pc version is announced.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I won't have time to play it like that, I work full-time :p
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's a mission that teaches you about the stocks system before you start all the assassination missions.
    Really? Where is that? I stared at the stock system for a while and decided I didn't understand it well enough to bother.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Really? Where is that? I stared at the stock system for a while and decided I didn't understand it well enough to bother.
    It's the mission where you sneak into the Live Invader offices and plant the device on their new phone prototype. As the LFI stock price plummets, Lester tells you about stocks on the phone, and sends you an email about "buy low, sell high"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, that was it? So your "interactions" with that company result in their stock value crashing. It would make the most sense to invest in their competitors whose stock will presumably receive a significant boost from their misfortunes, right?
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    well, let's look at the maths...

assuming 30 seconds per run minimum:

100 runs to get $1.2M is 50 minutes.
    12500 runs to afford the golf course is 156 days if you spend 4 hours performing the trick every day.

.. and this is only under ideal conditions. In reality it would of course take much more time.

...I think I'll pass ;)

There is one where you collect 25k instead of 12500, so it's allot easier to clock up some cash (not that I've actually done it).
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Oh, that was it? So your "interactions" with that company result in their stock value crashing. It would make the most sense to invest in their competitors whose stock will presumably receive a significant boost from their misfortunes, right?

exactly correct.

the stocks system is also subtle enough that if you invested in a particular car brand, and then spent all day blowing up other brands, the stock on your investment would go up as well.