Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto V

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    pretty sure I saw waves in the gta online promo vid. then again its not like a publisher would ever show fake footage.....;) excited for the online in oct.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Torch wrote: »
    Surprised we didn't see that happen a few times here, considering some of the dodgy places they were having midnight sales.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So, to those who played a bit of the game already : is there a way to actually enjoy the game as a fully open, single player RPG ? (Per, you mention that exploring feels boring and uneventful. Care to elaborate ?)

For instance the trailers showed off-road bike racing, tennis, and diving. Is it possible to simply fire up the game, steal a car, go to a lake, and dive there ? Or is it all confined to missions ? I personally have zero interest in the pre-determined storyline of the game as I don't really enjoy being given missions to follow. But I am still very interested in getting the game for the beauty of all of its complex systems.

I'd also would like to know if some parts of the game world are being locked at the beginning of the game like in previous GTA games, or if everything is accessible right away. None of the reviews I've watched so far indicate that it is one way or the other. The concept of playing 3 characters at the same time makes me hope that it is indeed possible to explore the whole world by following 3 unrelated paths at the same time, not unlike juggling between 3 independent save files. Is it actually working that way ?

On a side note : Cheats !
    http://uk.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Cheats_and_Secrets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_R_wREJmTg&feature=player_embedded#t=1073
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    pior- Nothing is locked mapwise, the entire map is open to you after the prologue and a couple intro missions.

As far as the switching mechanic is concerned once you meet all three main characters you hop around as you see fit. For the most part they all have their own missions and lives which they intersect and over lap here and there. You only have to manage one save file for all three, and you can save anywhere, not just in safe houses.

As for your other question pretty much yeah. First thing I did after the intro stuff was get a sweet car and killed a half hour cruising along the coastal highway. Stopped at a small beach I saw along the way, ran into the ocean and started diving down. I couldn't go very far though, I need to upgrade my lung capacity.

Im sure when I unlock the scuba gear later on I'll have more exploring to do.

perma- I think some of the stuff your are talking about is supposed to be in the Online part of the game. Though I'm happy they aren't doing the whole gang empire building thing like in San Andreas. I got annoyed going black by block and taking stuff over. Would have been interesting to see how they tackled it though.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    MrHobo wrote: »
    I think some of the stuff your are talking about is supposed to be in the Online part of the game. Though I'm happy they aren't doing the whole gang empire building thing like in San Andreas. I got annoyed going black by block and taking stuff over. Would have been interesting to see how they tackled it though.

The gang wars was a HUGE annoyance and it almost killed the game for lots of people (the gameplay mechanic was annoying enough but then they had them in two different sections of the game and even if you had conquered all territories in the first take, it would reset the whole thing for the second part :poly127:). I'm actually glad they're not putting this stuff into the single plater game anymore, GTA was never meant to be this kind of game. The online does look promising though, seems like a whole different experience on its own.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I dunno... just played for maybe 2 hrs and i was blown away. Actual traffic, the amount of different people walking the streets, where they walk to, what they talk about. They driving, the cars, the lighting, the sunsets, night time lights... this feels like a real living city.

I love it so far... i am happy not even running... but walking through the city and just taking it in. Had some hilarious things happen on my way as well... so i dunno what the whole static thing is all about. But this is the most ambitious gta i have seen, and its one of the prettiest games i have seen period. Even in older tech, this game shines so well.

I kept taking pictures of everything. But found it annoying that it failed to save a lot of times... something about the online thing issues. Which was lame.

But in 2 hrs i didn't do much story wise... but was never bored. Now, i only explored like 2% of the map as well hahaha.

I am having a blast, and i can't wait to play this online as well, and do heists with friends. Totally worth my 60 bucks. :D

OH! it runs perfect on ps3, and i have a digital download.

EDIT: oh! found the stuff about the pictures... so i guess it links them to your social club.. so at least i get to share and see other peoples pictures.

0_0.jpg

I wish i had taken more, but it was giving me that error. I hope they fix that. Cuz i want to take a ton of pictures of everything. Such a pretty game, daytime or nighttime.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Picked it up for ps3 last night. Played for about 5 - 6 hours, mostly doing just the main story missions. My stats says im 14% done the game, which is pretty damn impressive for how long I played. There have been other AAA games that I beat in the same time.

Honestly, I was kind of hesitant to get the game. I wasn't a huge fan of the last couple GTA's, and Pernas' post about it not truly being open world kind of made me nervous. But, I watched the IGN stream and decided to risk it.

This game is freaking amazing. The visuals are just astounding. The reflections on everything. The cars look just so so good. Their specs are perfect. There are so many small things in the game that make me smile. For example, those mirrors that are put on blind corners for cars to see if other cars are coming. The damage on the cars is great. They handle nicely, and definitely varies between each car. Planes are good. Animation is fantastic. Few glitches here and there, but over all great. The missions, I think, are fun and well written. Believable dialog. Definitely some funny moments.

To kind of counter what Perna said about it not being open world. That's completely BS. It is fully open world. Once you finish the prologue, you can go anywhere you can see. Bridges aren't blocked off or anything like that. Yes, the missions are pretty linear in that you have to do it a specific way. But, the way you have to do it feels natural to me. Not sure how the rest of the game is, but I`ve run into a couple missions where you get a choice of how you want to do a certain mission. Guns blazing, or more covert. So I really don't have an issue that. So far, there hasn't been a time where I thought it was annoying that I couldnt do it another way. The missions direct you through a story. So I don't find that bad.

I think what Perna really meant is not that it's not Open World, because it is. But rather, it's not fully sandbox. And yes, there is a huge difference between open world and sandbox. But even then, if you aren't doing a story mission, you can do whatever you want, it seems. Though, admittedly, I haven't done too much with that just yet. Mostly story.

Anyways, if anyone is on the fence with this one, I strongly suggest picking it up! Might be the first GTA i`ll actually finish. lol
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I played the game for a while and watched someone play it for a while as well (in my house not online hah) and it's the best GTA game I've ever played. The environments are awesome, the AI (especially for the cops) are great and challenging and the world feels like there is no end. I have only played a few missions and they were fun and interesting, I will stop screwing around and do more missions tonight but yeah I think this is a great game so far. I can't say it's the best game ever, but it's very good and was worth the long wait.

One question, for PS3 owners - is it just me or when you are driving fast the fps drops a decent amount? It seems that way for me, maybe when I was doing some missions but it was pretty noticeable (playable) but noticeable.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    aajohnny wrote: »

One question, for PS3 owners - is it just me or when you are driving fast the fps drops a decent amount? It seems that way for me, maybe when I was doing some missions but it was pretty noticeable (playable) but noticeable.

did you install the entire game, or just the mandatory install? Ive been playing on ps3 and had no frame rate issues what so ever. First generation ps3
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna - How long did it take you to finish the single player story? I mean, even if you got the game early and played relentlessly, that seems pretty damned quick.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    slipsius wrote: »
    did you install the entire game, or just the mandatory install? Ive been playing on ps3 and had no frame rate issues what so ever. First generation ps3
    I have a slim, and I guess the mandatory install (when it first started) how do I install the entire game?
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    glottis8 wrote: »
    0_0.jpg

YES! Rocking the same hair and beard :D Michael looks like the dude from Last of Us now XD. Also not sure why everyone hated the mechanic of gang wars. I for one loved it
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting point about the distinction between sandbox and open world. To be fair I have to admit I am not exactly sure to know what to expect from the game ! I know that I will be tired of following the pre-defined path of the storyline missions after just a couple hours, so it's good to hear that the whole world opens up fast.

About diving : I kinda wish that things like the scuba gear could be obtained at any progression level, regardless of stats (either by entering a cheat code, or by simply finding the gear in a hidden stash for instance).

I think that at the end of the day, what I really want is to be able to connect to friends online and create unique emergent gameplay. For instance, it would be awesome to be able to set a few markers, flag them as "start", "checkpoint", and "finish", and race through them using any means necessary. Stuff like that !
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    as long as I can make franklin look like icecube from the are we there yet movies then ill be a true gangsta.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The San Andreas turf war thing was in interesting idea, just awfully executed. You'd be called all the friggin' time while not on a mission and had to either drive all the way back to your hood (no matter where you were on the map) or just let it go and lose that territory which would lead to shitty consequences so it felt like an annoying chore rather than something you'd want to do. Then there's that possibility you'd invest a lot of time in it the first time it showed up in the game, only for the feature to be completely thrown away at some point in the story and THEN be introduced again, with territory ownership reset so you'd have to fight for all of them AGAIN.

tl;dr: it's shit.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, seems like people bitching about the single player aspects of the game are just expecting what R* has planned for GTA Online. :D
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    pior wrote: »

I think that at the end of the day, what I really want is to be able to connect to friends online and create unique emergent gameplay. For instance, it would be awesome to be able to set a few markers, flag them as "start", "checkpoint", and "finish", and race through them using any means necessary. Stuff like that !

I could be way off, but when the online component is made available this should be possible. I remember seeing something in one of their teaser videos about being able to edit missions, placing weapons, etc.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    2:15 and onwards.... dont think you will be dissappointed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEGtoYs_8A
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am very very excited about GTA Online.

Content Creator!

It's gonna be awesome :D
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    got it yesterday, since i don't have patience to wait for pC version.

great game so far, I love the living breathing city life . it just way too beautiful to do random killing lol ...
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Perna, your pic cut off your hours played! I can make out a 6h, but dunno if theres something before that.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    25% of the way through dunno how I feel about this game fully yet, the characters all seem pretty weak and hard to identify with to me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    perna wrote: »
    Please. I said there's less open-world gameplay mechanics, not that your movement is limited. R* let us know well before launch that the whole map would be unlocked from the start.

Ooooh, wait, so are you talking about how you wish the ATV races would be anywhere, not in a set place with check points you have to follow? You`d rather it be random start locations with a start and finish, get there how you want?

If that's the case, then yes, I will agree with that, and I apologize for taking what you said the wrong way. In all games with street racing, ive always wanted that to be the case. Start, finish, get there how you want. But they always direct you where to go. Kind of lame.

But Im very much looking forward to the content creator. Should be a lot of fun to build your own tracks. Hell, just put a start and finish, no waypoints. or if you have to have waypoints, put them all in a straight line at the start, then the finish far away. haha.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know what game allowed you to get there any way you wanted? Burnout Paradise :D

Yea.. i think the content creator should be fun. I mean.. you set a start and finish and you don't even need checkpoints, and there you go. I really do think that the sandbox aspect of the game will be introduced with Online.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/18/grand-theft-auto-v-sells-800-million-on-first-day.aspx

Wow.....I expected huge numbers for this, but 800 million in a day is a staggering amount of money.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    damn, $800m

Thats exactly why EA tried to buy rockstar back in 2008. U mad EA?

Itd suck if EA owned GTA. They'd crank out a watered down, cut up version of the game every year and milk DLC for it
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I`m not afraid to admit when I`m wrong. :) Very fair points, and better explained than your original post. :) Personally, I think that's the stuff that draws the line between open world and sandbox. But, that's just my personal opinion. I think expecting to be able to go into every building is kind of expecting a LOT though. With how massive the game already is, Im sure memory came into play. Though, I will agree that you should be able to go in the ones you own.

and on another note, Heck ya!!! Totally going to do this to my character. Heisenberg! http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/09/you-can-play-gta-v-as-breaking-bads-heisenberg-basically/
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockstar has come out and said no GTA5 on next gen consoles

http://www.psu.com/a021029/No-plans-for-GTA-V-on-PS4-says-Rockstar
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Rockstar on that $800m in 24 hours.

But it's amazing how you have so many studios going bankrupt and one studio/publisher makes that kind of money.. proving the market for sales *is* there but the proportional sales are so skewed towards a few big franchises it's beyond even the movie business. Madness.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    frell wrote: »

Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but do you think Rockstar will port this game to Pc ?
    Im not a big fan of console (xbox and ps3) but i would play it on a Pc any day.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I only got to play it for a few hours yesterday but I love how they added and expanded on those random events that they did in Red Dead Redemption. I was just driving around exploring and I saw a cop car chasing another car, the chase ended in a colva sack, the cops got out with shotguns, a gun fight started. The best part was that almost everybody in the colva sack came to help and killed the cops. It was crazy, so naturally I took their shotguns, and their cop car, then drove off.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    peanut™ wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance on the matter, but do you think Rockstar will port this game to Pc ?
    Im not a big fan of console (xbox and ps3) but i would play it on a Pc any day.

Every single GTA game has been on PC. Every GTA since 3 was ported to PC 6-7 months after the initial console release.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    frell wrote: »

No they didn't. If you read the article they're talking about not working on GTA6 yet.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    No they didn't. If you read the article they're talking about not working on GTA6 yet.
    "Of course we’re interested. But no, not in terms of GTA, because we’re always working on the current game"

Sounds like Rockstar is all for next gen but this GTA release probably wont see it. Or they're not answering the question with yes/no because they want the current title to sell rather than people waiting

Hopefully it does, its probably as easy as turning up the settings
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    //edit aw shit nevermind!

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/polycount

wonder if its still maintained..
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    About those terms: "Open world" refers to the game type, while Sandbox refers to game mechanics. GTA is defined as both. One tends to assume the other though. An Open World game without sandbox elements would be pretty dreary... :)

That would be a bunch of rpg's, most of which are not sandbox, the elderscrolls series would be openworld rpg's, while gta is openworld sandbox.

The sandbox part refers to being given a bunch of toys and a way to act out without permanent consequence, like going crazy and getting 5 stars or hijacking a plane and flying somewhere, which is why sandbox modes in games often refer to modes where gameplay limitations or money requirements are removed to give you full freedom and fun,

you build your sandcastle, tear it down, and get start over with the sand still there!

openworld defines the lack of limitations on where you can go, and can be applied to dare I say pretty much any genre :)
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed - the two do go hand in hand, but they're also not one and the same. A game like Skyrim or Borderlands 2 isn't really a sandbox, but can certainly be described as open world. A game like GMod or Viva Pinata can also be a sandbox, but would never be described as open world :)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super wrote: »
    Congrats Rockstar on that $800m in 24 hours.

But it's amazing how you have so many studios going bankrupt and one studio/publisher makes that kind of money.. proving the market for sales *is* there but the proportional sales are so skewed towards a few big franchises it's beyond even the movie business. Madness.
    This DOES seem to be what the industry is forming into. You're either making a million a day or you're laying people off.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I believe that it's not quite right, and by sandbox it would mean that your actions wouldn't have any permanent effect which make it impossible to continue on as usual. To take your examples:

Skyrim has Open-World Sandbox and RPG elements, permanent damage.

GTA has Open-World Sandbox and RPG elements, temporary damage.

If for example you kill everyone in a town in Skyrim, that's it, they are gone, and the town is empty. On the other hand if you do the same in GTA (well, not really possible as it is), your actions doesn't have any permanent effects, unless they are part of the storyline/campaign.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    a sandbox is a sandbox, don't argue over tiddly bits - that what Roguelike fanboys do and nobody likes them "You don't push a key to walk down stairs? NOT A ROGUELIKE!!!"
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    a sandbox is a sandbox, don't argue over tiddly bits - that what Roguelike fanboys do and nobody likes them "You don't push a key to walk down stairs? NOT A ROGUELIKE!!!"

A sandbox is a wooden box full of finely ground silicone dioxide.

Defining what makes the sandbox in a gameplay-sense is instrumental to understanding its place, otherwise we'll do as perna and end up bunching together two largely different game series (fixed: elderscrolls and gta)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    lol, is this guy for real though.. :)

sorry typo, my bad, elderscrolls and gta.

My point still stands, games all have varying degrees of game elements that build it up, but something like skyrim does not consists of as much of a sandbox world as it does with the openworld rpg, and it never did before.

It gives you limited tastes of sandbox and punishes you if you go too far with it, while GTA will open the sandbox up and encourage you in many ways to use it and play around.

GTA in the same way has very light rpg elements, but not enough to call it an RPG (in the modern statistics-rpg sense)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    eld: ok, that makes more sense. I still don't understand what you mean by "bunching together" though. It's not clear what you're trying to say there.

it means that games will share the same elements but in very different quantities,

such as GTA having a few rpg elements, but not even near as much as skyrim, so we go into detail in genre descriptions to differtiate them better, or we'll end up like calling them all "ADVENTURE/ACTION GAMES"
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Rather than divide games into sets of genres, how about describe what kind of traits they have instead? Saying "it's a shooter" or "it's an RGP" means nothing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You're saying that GTA and Skyrim are different games. I'm pretty sure everyone's aware of that already, and I don't see what it has to do with me "erroneously bunching" two titles together.

The Game Design Police will arrest you for erroneous bunching in public.

Erroneous Bunching is also the name of my Acid Jazz/Metal fusion band.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Good evening Woodstock, we are......ERRONEOUS BUNCHING! *crowd roars*

*Starts headbanging*
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    They're indie games, all of them!!

I think the discussion/arguing started with the regular claim that sandbox and openworld are one and the same, but as proven the two can exist both together and apart.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT-ZCS-B740"]GTA 5 - KNOCKOUT COMPILATION (POW) - YouTube[/ame]
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last girl took a soccer dive, he barely touched her!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    WarrenM wrote: »
    This DOES seem to be what the industry is forming into. You're either making a million a day or you're laying people off.

You know, I don't think this is entirely true. I mean, certain aspects, sure. But I think what GTA V really proves isn't that people flock to certain IPs, but rather, when companies actually TAKE THEIR TIME and actually put in the effort to make a game shine like this, it really sells. Also, advertising is huge. No one will buy your shit if they dont know it exists. But more so, it's about quality (and in this case quantity) of game. The game is massive with tons of things to do. Its not just some linear rail shooter type of thing. The linear part is arguable, but still. Do you really think GTA V would have sold as many copies as it did if it was released a year after GTA 4, or if it didn't give you all the things it promised?? Probably not because the game wouldnt be nearly as massive, well built, or technologically advanced in comparison to GTA 4. And you can take other games as example. Ubisoft is known for pumping out the same ip pretty often. usually once a year. Not sure the exact time frames. But splinter cell games come out pretty often. and assassins creed, they have what? 3 or 4 in developement right now? It's nuts. Are they bad games? No. Absolutely not. But when people find out the campaign is only 6 hours (I think i beat conviction in 6 hours), a bunch of people will wait for price drops.

I dunno. maybe Im just tired of buying AAA titles that are buggy as hell and promised way more than they gave. GTA V definitely has given me more hope that the industry isnt completely losing its sight of what's important.