Home General Discussion

Grand Theft Auto V

Replies

• WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm unclear how interactively torturing a dude in a basement is going to "make you think" but whatever gets you through I guess. Are you unsure about torture being bad or not, and you're hoping GTA will sway your opinion or something?
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    I assume you guys are from North America
    Location Norway

Just thought I'd throw that there...

Can't wait for this game, not got it preordered but I'll swing by a store at some point tomorrow and pick it up, congratulations to the rockstar guys.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    perna wrote: »
    I'll just let these quotes speak for themselves: They don't require any commentary, except to note that it's interesting how some people find torture inoffensive UNLESS it contains a sexual element, which suddenly makes it bad, for whatever absurd reason. I assume you guys are from North America, am I wrong? Or have watched a few too many Hollywood movies anyway...

I also said "but it's just torture, which is ridiculously common and not enough people know it is." Which kind of reinforces my point that including it so more people know of it's existence and see how horrible it is at the end a good thing.

But you left that out, how very tabloid like.

The world is an incredibly shitty place and my time spent in it as removed the shockfactor of shitty things happening to people, I still think they're bad, they just don't shock me. They way you were talking I thought it was worse than torture, which is already pretty bad.

Also for the record I'm not from North America, but from a tiny little peaceful country that didn't have anything modernly horrible happen in it till 2011, I'm just better at discerning fiction from reality and understanding what reality is.
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I'm unclear how interactively torturing a dude in a basement is going to "make you think" but whatever gets you through I guess. Are you unsure about torture being bad or not, and you're hoping GTA will sway your opinion or something?

Yes that is exactly what people mean when they say "make you think", they cannot possibly mean something like: "Wow, this happens every day, and it's this awful, we just don't see it, I'll be more aware from now on instead of just dismissing everything and not caring."

It's no massive discovery that torture is awful, but it's often so far removed from reality people forget or don't consider it's effects, so along comes a form of media to show us, either through an interactive "game" or in a movie/book.

Also excellent review by Sessler, getting the game tomorrow.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Can't say I'm too excited for GTA 5. Honestly, I don't care at all *equips blast shield*.

It's just mindless violence to me, I feel nothing for the characters as they are just as bad as the people they kill. All the fun I had on GTA 4 was when I was chasing a friend of mine around with a firetruck trying to hose him down, good times, lol.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    What happens when you let a feminist review gta:

people are raging in the comments, what did she expect?

http://uk.gamespot.com/grand-theft-auto-v/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review-6414475/
    -Or perhaps you dive right into the game’s story problems, or its serious issues with women.
    -GTA V is a complicated and fascinating game, one that fumbles here and there and has an unnecessary strain of misogynistic nastiness running through it.
    -[...] casts his reservations aside to help him take degrading photos of a female celebrity.
    -These moments of hypocrisy and inconsistency diminish the otherwise strong characters;
    -Thankfully, the missions are frequently incredible, which makes it a bit easier to overlook [...] the mixed political messages
    On a less positive note, it’s deeply frustrating that [...] GTA V has little room for women except to portray them as strippers, prostitutes, long-suffering wives, humorless girlfriends and goofy, new-age feminists we’re meant to laugh at.
    -Characters constantly spout lines that glorify male sexuality while demeaning women, and the billboards and radio stations of the world reinforce this misogyny, with ads that equate manhood with sleek sports cars while encouraging women to purchase a fragrance that will make them “smell like a bitch.”
    With nothing in the narrative to underscore how insane and wrong this is, all the game does is reinforce and celebrate sexism.
    Yes, these are exaggerations of misogynistic undercurrents in our own society, but not satirical ones.
    -GTA V is an imperfect game [...] inconsistent character behavior, muddled political messages and rampant misogyny.
    -Your time in Los Santos may leave you with a few psychological scars
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Of course, someone who is more empathetic towards fictional characters is more liable to be empathetic towards real human beings. I believe the BBC covered this in an episode on a documentary series they did on the human mind.

But then you're contradictory towards your earlier sentence where you said that the mass-murders in gta are so far away from reality that we're not supposed to feel emphatic to the ones we murder.

We're not supposed to enjoy the torture in the sense of not having any empathy towards anyone being tortured.

Most often it's employed in the fascinating way where a character we do not like, and someone who probably has done horrible things will be subject to torture and we'll feel really conflicted about it.

Take the rapist torture from sons of anarchy, it's makes you feel bad about persons you wouldn't want to feel emphatic towards and it makes you feel conflicted about characters you're supposed to like, it makes everything you experience a multitude more interesting.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For people to have open minds to differing opinions other than "OMG, GTA, GOTY, GARBLE WARBLE"?

On the other hand, to stand up say That GTA is misogynistic isn't reaching very far. I mean, I think it's printed on the game box. Rockstar has zero subtlety when it comes to their views on women.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw the torture scene.
    Wow, now that I have context, the actual imagery, the ending and know which character did it and why: I definitely do not get the outrage, unless it's aimed specifically at the fact that it's torture, in which case why the fuck are you playing R rated games.

Also laughing at the misogyny labels already: "This game features murder of civilians, robbery, traffic accidents, torture, blood, gore and all does it in a humoristic fashion, but the REAL PSYCHOLOGICAL PROBLEMS COMES FROM CHARACTERS BEING MISOGYNISTIC."

Priorities are fun.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For people to have open minds to differing opinions other than "OMG, GTA, GOTY, GARBLE WARBLE"?

On the other hand, to stand up say That GTA is misogynistic isn't reaching very far. I mean, I think it's printed on the game box...
    They were expecting a review that wasn't through a political lense, she also claimed the last of us was sexist

She dropped it to a 9/10 because of it lol
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Just saw the torture scene.
    Wow, now that I have context, the actual imagery, the ending and know which character did it and why: I definitely do not get the outrage, unless it's aimed specifically at the fact that it's torture, in which case why the fuck are you playing R rated games.
    This is why I'm confused why people are upset. I often think of things that are extremely painful just because I can. I'll pick up a took in a friend's shed and be like "damn this would hurt if you ____"

I'm not mental or anything, its just so crazy it is how easily basic items can do terrible things. Overall I've become desensitized to the matter unless its real, the idea of it doesn't do much to me. I try not to act like the world is filled with butterflies and unicorns and suck it up (no offense)
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    What happens when you let a feminist review gta:

http://uk.gamespot.com/grand-theft-auto-v/reviews/grand-theft-auto-v-review-6414475/
    I can't really say anything about the other stuff in here, but I'm not sure what her being a feminist has to do with it?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last of Us sexist? Okay, I'm out.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think being desensitized to suffering is the badge of honor some of you think it is. :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Farfarer wrote: »
    I can't really say anything about the other stuff in here, but I'm not sure what her being a feminist has to do with it?
    It wouldn't matter at all if she didn't inject her beliefs into it

The game is intentionally everything she complains about, its like she's new to the series

"GTA V has little room for women except to portray them as strippers, prostitutes, long-suffering wives, humorless girlfriends and goofy, new-age feminists we’re meant to laugh at"

That's kind of the point. Reviewers have called it a "monstrous parody of modern life"

I don't think being desensitized to suffering is the badge of honor some of you think it is. :)
    Never claimed it was a badge of honor, but it would suck to get depressed from seeing some polygons loosely portray an idea of torture
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Neither is being outraged/offended or shocked, it's a worthless whine.
    Both are equally unimportant.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It wouldn't matter at all if she didn't inject her beliefs into it

The game is intentionally everything she complains about, its like she's new to the series
    They are valid beliefs and valid points. It'd be a really shit review if the reviewer didn't reflect their opinions of the game based on their own experiences and thoughts on it.

If you don't like her review, don't read it?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are valid beliefs and valid points, if you don't like her review, don't read it?
    Of course, its just a shame that gamespot chose her to review GTA 5 of all games
    It'd be a really shit review if the reviewer didn't reflect their opinions of the game based on their own experiences and thoughts on it.
    Opinions are great, politically shaped opinions aren't
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    That's why we cry at the deaths of fictional characters
    I don't. I did however cry when my grandmother died. People are wired differently, man.
    and salivate when imagining biting into a lemon.
    I don't...
    And to say that "rape is worse than torture".. man, what a can of worms. Why is that, because it's easier for you to sympathize with the image of a beautiful young girl than a middle aged soviet?

You don't need to be a philosopher to be a good person, you just need basic empathy. I have no idea whether that is something that can be learned, however.
    I admit I didn't choose my words very well there. I just think rape can leave deeper emotional and psychological scars, it really has nothing to do with who I might sympathize with the most. My point is still valid though, why do you think developers haven't depicted any scenes of that nature?

As for basic empathy, I have it. And it can definitely be learned, an example is those girls who left the Westboro Baptist Church.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I think that's a bit misguided. If she marked it down for the torture scene instead would you still be annoyed at her review?

(Because, reading between the lines, apparently people being offended at torture have valid points, but people being offended at misogyny have evil political agendas over nothing worth fussing about).
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow did anyone know EA tried to buy 2K games (which owns R* and GTA)

That would have been a disaster:
    In mid-February 2008, rival game company Electronic Arts (EA) made a US$25 per share all cash transaction offer to the board of Take-Two, subsequently revising it to US$26 per share after being rejected and making the offer known to the public.[19] Rumors of a buyout had been floating around the internet several weeks prior.[20] Stocks went up by 54% on Monday, following the Sunday announcement, closing over the US$26 offer price, whilst EA's own stock prices went down by 5%, the largest loss in over a year.[21]

According to Game Informer's April 2008 issue, EA CEO John Riccitiello said that EA considered a deal for Take-Two in the previous spring but axed it at the last minute. Take-Two's board of directors declined the cash deal. However, EA was still pursuing the acquisition of Take-Two, stating in a letter, "If you are unwilling to proceed on that basis, however, we may pursue other means, including the public disclosure of this letter, to bring our offer and the compelling value it represents to the attentions of Take-Two's shareholders." Later, Take-Two released a statement explaining why the company has rejected the offer, "In addition to undervaluing key elements of our business, EA's proposal fails to recognize the value we are building through our ongoing turnaround efforts, which will further revitalize Take-Two."

Take-Two offered to discuss the offer after Grand Theft Auto IV's release on April 29, 2008. An acquisition would have ended EA's main competition in sports video games.[22] The bid expired May 15, 2008, however EA extended the offer until June 16, 2008, at the same price of US$25.74 per share. Take-Two's position did not change and on September 14, 2008, EA announced that they decided to let the US$2 billion offer to buy Take-Two expire.

I bet they would have cut the huge game up and sold it as DLC :P

(Because, reading between the lines, apparently people being offended at torture have valid points, but people being offended at misogyny have evil political agendas over nothing worth fussing about).
    Giving it a low rating because the story telling was meh and the mechanics were cumbersome is different than giving it a low rating because YOU personally could not handle the torture scene
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'd disagree.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'd disagree.
    But in that case every scary movie that has gore should get a bad rating

Why would reviewers intentionally review something not in their tastes? I'd much prefer a fan of the series review it because they can actually relate the content to previous games, much like some Rome II reviewers did.
  • glottis8
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 wrote: »
    That was a good video, thought it was funny when they started talking about the complaints about violence in Infinite
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah for once I agree with Jim, well said.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahahaha some people have taken that lady's review too far:

https://www.change.org/petitions/gamespot-staff-fire-carolyn-petit

Also, when you get the game rockstar recommends not installing the play disc

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0gPB0gdoOM"]Why You Shouldn't Install the GTA5 "Play Disc" on Xbox 360 - YouTube[/ame]

https://twitter.com/RockstarSupport/status/379493174768439296
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barack Obama WASHINGTON, DC about 2 hours ago Liked 30
    People like this are worse than Hitler. They drone harder than my drones, and that's pretty hard to do because my drones are all over the world. So says Barack Obama, ruler of Earth.
    Ahahahaha
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How ... I don't understand. It's slower loading when it's on the hard drive?
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Its slower loading when both are on the hdd because they are streaming from both the hdd and the disk at the same time, rather than 1 at a time.
    That is why there is a hdd disk and a play disk.
    Sneaky buggers :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    bleh cant stand jim sterling. anyways, cant wait to grab this tomorrow and lose to time to it, get back to my nerdin' roots :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'll install both and put up with the slower loading simply because my 360 sounds like a jet taking off... So sod that :(

Kinda hoped it would come early today, but alas, postie never showed... So looks like I'll have to get it tomorrow with the rest of the world!!!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    I'll install both and put up with the slower loading simply because my 360 sounds like a jet taking off... So sod that :(
    Install the play disc on a usb drive instead to avoid the pop ins
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I still havent played past 17% of GTA4...maybe i should go to my storage and get my gear out of there.

but then i would have less of a life than i already do....still

GTA5 online is looking quite awesome.......
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18

No thumb drive sir :( No thumbs :(
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

How does one do this?

or do you mean, load the play disc to my PC and just copy/paste the files? Or is there a way to actually 'install' to a usb?

edit: Ahh, seriously install. So I guess have a USB plugged in and then do the install FROM xbox to that, wow. Guess I'll try it.
  • /anty/
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    /anty/ polycounter lvl 7
    Was playing it a bit at the office, insane... Just insane..
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    ugh.. a bit annoyed that digital pre download never happened on the ps3... even when they tweeted about it. So no release until 3 in the morning of today hahah Not even midnight. Check at 4, set it to download to maybe check it out before heading to work, when i wake up the ps3 is frozen with the game at 15% hahaha i think it must have been something to do with the automatic update it does at 6. Anyways.. restarted it, and left it to download the rest of the day. I'll play it tomorrow :(

I am still very excited about this. It's gonna be mind blowing.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    GUESS WHAT I'LL BE DOING TODAY and probably most of the week.. and the week after.. =D
  • Toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toast polycounter lvl 11
    My god the texture work looks nice, haven't played it but by the videos it looks like everything (roads, ground etc..) is using 40 layers of textures. I can't even imagine how they put together all this on such a giant scale.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the game and all missions.
    What!? How long have you had it?
    Missions are extremely linear. The slightest deviation from what Rockstar has scripted out results in "MISSION FAILED". Got frustrating/annoying.
    I'll wait then. This infuriated me about GTA 4. "Do the mission how we expect you to or fail". Yeah, open world, woo!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    No. I didn't contradict myself, you didn't read the part where I specifically address what you're saying.

You're talking about a game that introduces a character in a sequence that ends with him stomping someones skull in and then the game saying "oh and you're going to play as this guy".
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ramping off waves is so awesome with the jetskis

Game was everything I expected. Went into it knowing it was a GTA title and was never disappointed
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    So from what i was asking before about digital download.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/17/gta-v-psn-pre-orders-facing-installation-and-unlocking-issues/

This morning it froze at 15%, restarted my ps3... took a shower. 20 mins later i came to see it at 20 something %. So i left it on and came to work. I hope that its done and i am not affected by those issues.

Sony update to this.
    http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Technical-Help/Ps3-error-80029564-GTA-V-install-part-future-problems-Someone/m-p/19758407#M50752

"For those of you experiencing error code 80029564 when downloading or installing GTA V please accept our apologies.

This is been worked on as a high priority and we hope to have it resolved this afternoon. Please delete any GTA content you have already downloaded and then re-download after 4pm today. This should resolve the 80029564 error."
  • Torch
  • ErichWK
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope they don't take ocean waves and stuff out of multiplayer

Rockstar seems to always remove trains and other interesting things
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Hope this games sells lots. Nice to see a small indie game trying to make it.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope they don't take ocean waves and stuff out of multiplayer

Rockstar seems to always remove trains and other interesting things
    Networking is a bitch. :-/
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Darth Tomi wrote: »
    Hope this games sells lots. Nice to see a small indie game trying to make it.

trolololol
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Bioshock:Infinite is still GOTY for me.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Networking is a bitch. :-/
    Making the waves based solely on a time variable and just syncing that would work fine, similar to how BF4 is doing it