Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2011 Edition!

Replies

• benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Saferdan, what an awesome concept- good luck with this man, I looks forward to seeing progress! looks like you've made a solid start.

Mr. cash, that is beautiful! I love the design. some parts (the grip?) could use more evidence of wear and tear to maintain consistency with the scratches elsewhere. stunning work overall!

Pangahas, be aware of over saturation (and under saturation!) of parts of your painting. I think you should tweak some proportions, and the shadows need a greater range of value to really give it some depth!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Here's a WIP of a project i'm currently working on in my freetime. I"m going to try to take him all the way through a production pipeline until i have a final render. I'm a game artist of about two years, and i'm working on my portfolio to try to make the jump over to film eventually.

I am DEFINITELY going to need some help when it comes to working on his SSS skin shader and what not. But for now here's the sculpt. Still very WIP. Just focused on the head for about 2 hours so far.

The idea is that he's an alien baby. I wanted him to be pretty creepy looking....close enough to human that its creepy. I have a buddy at zoic who linked me to a scene on the show V where the hybrid was in a test tube and i loved it. So this is my response to that.

heavily influenced by jordu schell of course.

alienbaby-1.jpg
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
    DDuckworth: Haha cheers, more like the model itself belongs to that era of games :P

Finished it up, learnt a lot. Can't wait to start the next.
    finished%201.jpg
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    PolyGobiln - The dog looks amazing! How did you decide on the colours? They are a bit saturated for my liking but still it is amazing :)

Neox - the scene your doing is from the wormwood sega right? Forgive me if i'm wrong! Your sculpt looks awesome :)

I am slowly getting there with my perspective I think. I have been laying mine over the concept in photoshop and I am pretty close. I just need to move a couple of things and then i can start making high polys!

closer-1.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    benji wrote: »
    Here's an update to the scene I've been working on - does the depth of field make it too muddy?
    any other crits on this?

environment_render_edit2.jpg

I think the fact that her hair, which is kind of a blur too, makes the DOF blend in with it. Maybe try lighting around her head to make it pop a bit more. Your lighting overall is a pretty good start, but I'd try pushing it more and do some rim lighting or highlights on some of the darker areas.
  • appleclock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester really nice so far, head definitely looks creepy and alienish yet fresh, not like those googly-eye aliens or lizard-guy offspring.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Here's an update to the scene I've been working on - does the depth of field make it too muddy?
    any other crits on this?

environment_render_edit2.jpg

spend a little more time dialing in the lighting and composition. here's a quick tweak in photoshop. if you are using udk, any color adjustments you can do in PS can be accomplished in UDK with an color look-up table.

XoaK7.jpg

I think the composition is weak and I want to see the figure better highlighted with the blue light from the mysterious alley, so we look at her as much as we look at the blue light which is largely overpowering the scene now; work on her pose a little, more dynamic, you've got a good start on a "mid stride hey what's that" kind of thing but it could be better. I'd like to see the composition reworked a little to have the figure more prominent/better set for rule of thirds. I zoomed the whole scene a little because there's a lot of dead space that is drowning the figure in the frame. Overall you've got a lot of good work here but get the color temperatures more carefully tuned to real night light settings and you'll have a much stronger piece overall
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    A sword I've been meaning to finish, progress on my textures. The model is just under 600 polys.
    Sword_Hilt2.jpg?t=1306203084
  • Allan-p
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allan-p polycounter lvl 7
  • achillesian
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee, that is indeed awesome!

Finished with my sword model. I had a lot of fun with it and hope it shows! :D

Great_Sword.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6

Great_Sword.jpg

Hey Marquis, I love the sword - if i may - a texture suggestion

scaled.php?tn=0&server=696&filename=texturesuggestion.png&xsize=640&ysize=640

Mirror the blade and handle bits since they are identical as far as I can tell, increase the size of the hand guard where the lettering goes, move the other pieces of the hand guard down, and finally - decrease texture size to 1024x512, since you will be sizing up the lettering based off of importance it should keep the same level of detail with increased performance.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why add shading to the leather like that? doesn't really make sense if you're using a normal map.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dduckworth: Thanks for the feedback. Do you think that there would be too much texile density difference by doing it that way? I've no doubt about the space being saved, just the difference in texture quality

almighty_gir: I did it like that because I felt it added to the texture, you're right it's not necessary with a normal map but it still adds to the believability imo.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    why add shading to the leather like that? doesn't really make sense if you're using a normal map.

Of course it does. Not every engine / game is capble of doing superb shadermagic. While prbaked lighting might look odd in like 10% of all possible situations it might work great for the other 90%. There is no phyiscal correct lighting in games most is stiil faked so why not use simple tricks to enhance the look?
    SaferDan wrote: »
    Neox - the scene your doing is from the wormwood sega right? Forgive me if i'm wrong! Your sculpt looks awesome :)

yeah exactly, its not really a scene from the comic, but one from his initial artworks

trapped.jpg
  • spinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal polycounter lvl 17
    This is a model I've worked on for a while. I'm still a noob with real time models, but this is another attempt at it.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dduckworth: Thanks for the feedback. Do you think that there would be too much texile density difference by doing it that way? I've no doubt about the space being saved, just the difference in texture quality

almighty_gir: I did it like that because I felt it added to the texture, you're right it's not necessary with a normal map but it still adds to the believability imo.

I'm thinking the way you have it now is probably too high in texel density and this would help even it out, swords being relatively small objects in a world a 2048x1024 map is pretty dense, I would say probably even for a first person view, but of course I am not an expert on this haha. The best way to check that I know of would be to load it up in UDK and see it's color in the texel density mode, if it's bright green then it's too dense, lowering the texture size would probably make it be the better color - blue. Overall though with the changes I suggested I'm guessing you wouldn't lose hardly any density really. I feel i'm making less sense as I ramble on :poly142:
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal wrote: »
    This is a model I've worked on for a while. I'm still a noob with real time models, but this is another attempt at it.

This is pretty good for a low poly character, it's pretty dark/the lighting on your model needs work, set him up a nice pedastal, give him a weapon and a pose and I think you'll have a nice low poly showpiece!
  • spinal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spinal polycounter lvl 17
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    This is pretty good for a low poly character, it's pretty dark/the lighting on your model needs work, set him up a nice pedastal, give him a weapon and a pose and I think you'll have a nice low poly showpiece!

Thanx DDuckworth, I'm in the process of doing a little animation of him, so Ill include the pedastal in there. Ill also re-look the lighting a little.
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    homage to ashley wood. I'm looking forward to really cleaning this one up

irontake2.jpg
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    wester: sweet alien baby you got there.
    Neox: wanna see more character from the scene. :)

I started a small doodle.. i don't know that it should be.. maybe a killer croc version? :D

croc01.jpg
    croc01_z.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    jaythurm, nice model!

Mr.Cash, great looking weapon you have there.
    As mentioned the leather clad handle doesn't really fit in with the design but I could imagine a pearl effect handle, something similar to marble could.

Using max to build up some high poly objects, not finished yet.
    Tyre.jpg
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    blitz wrote: »
    wester: sweet alien baby you got there.
    Neox: wanna see more character from the scene. :)

I started a small doodle.. i don't know that it should be.. maybe a killer croc version? :D

croc01.jpg
    croc01_z.jpg

You'll need to tweak the proportions little bit more buutttt...... >_>

goomba1.jpg
  • Drakon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drakon polycounter lvl 6
    i don't know that it should be.. maybe a killer croc version?

Looks like Anthony Hopkins is the new killer croc :)
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    blitz - Beautiful sculpt man,how did you manage to get those scales so nice.Was there a specific technique?

Makkon - Whats it mean?

Had to take a break from texturing.Wiping the dust off of a deprived sculpt instead.Slowly refining it with hopes to get this game compatible eventually.

ae24f906.png5f2897aa.png
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Great_Sword.jpg

this is very cool and i love it when people make blades that look like a real one every once and a while, not that i dont like over the top stuff, but its nice to have the variety, one question tho, for what kind of game would you be using 600 tris for a sword that you were using a 2048x1024 for? seems like one of those numbers could be tweaked to make it either a first person asset, or more of an open world asset. I would suggest halving the texture size like DDuck said, really good crit on the whole there, take his advice :D:thumbup:.

Eight, thats awesome, tho the human face kinda throws me off, maybe you could do something like the human face camo appendages of mimic? cant find a good image with a quick search but basically the bugs had deformed feeding legs that they would fold in front of their faces to make them look like creepy people from a distance to lure people into alleyways and such. Also working on a bug dude, so this gets me pumped :D
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Makkon wrote: »
    lunacy09.jpg

That's beatiful!
    Love your work Makkon! :)
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    gannon: Hahaha you right, maybe i should really. Looks anyway already like the one from mario movie. ;)

EiGHT: hm just sculp very fast all the small details, no special technique there :)
    anyway. great work on the char so far. Like the design.

here just a very quick marmoset toolbag render. Love marmoset, so i have render every shit with that great tool.

croc02.jpg
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Guass and BlvdNights - thanks for those suggestions, really useful stuff.

I'll work on the lighting and eventually get this scene into UDK (when I figure out how..)
  • Mr.Cash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Achillesian: This is amazing, realy liking the sculpt.
    Mr. cash, that is beautiful! I love the design. some parts (the grip?) could use more evidence of wear and tear to maintain consistency with the scratches elsewhere. stunning work overall!

Thanks for the compliments Benji, and u´re absolutely right. There were some minutes left today so I found time for working on the leather.

Here the result:

leather_1.jpg

leather_2.jpg

leather_3.jpg
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on an styleised cartoony old man

oldmanfull1.png
    oldmanzoom.png
  • jimmypopali
  • SachenMacher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started a kind-of-alien-creature.....it is annuaki-inspired.
    8nbd5suc.png

did not turned out to look so well, and i think the back-skull is a liiiiiittlebit exaggerated. (the head is just a placeholder-shape.)

C&C 4 a ZBrush/Character newbie?
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on dwarf-pirate-badass based on this concept, from Overlord series.
    Clipboard01.jpg
    So much to do...
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    woogity - I'll take you up on that face idea,especially after seeing this little image on google of that Mimic creature.Also you working on something man,post it up dont be shy! ^__^

mimic-long-john-design1.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Blitz I love him! It's got a real fresh feeling.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input guys, here's the new version with the smaller texture size. Also I changed the name because this is not a great sword lol. I'm happy there is practically no loss in detail in doing it this way, Dduckworth you're awesome.

Blitz: that guy looks amazing, I especially love the eyes.

Steel_Longsword.jpg?t=1306269635
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    I agree, the eyes really give it humanity ...cuteness even :)

awesome work
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9KIlve_l-A[/ame]

Bare in mind his head will move, but do the mouth movements look ok to you? I'm not sure whether to tone them down a bit, been staring at him for too long today :P
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    I know the basics of ZBrush! Hurray!

firsthead2.jpg

P.S. Eight, that character looks awesome.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    some of my latest junk.. some work to do yet on Pan.. but thought it was at a good point to show

p.s.-- 2048 maps

MilesWadsworth_Pan_LayoutWIP.jpg

MilesWadsworth_PanViolin_WIPs_02.jpg

MilesWadsworth_PanViolin_WIPs.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    jmiles that looks sweet- maybe the texture could have a little more contrast? cant wait to see that bad boy finished tho
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    quick t-shirt design.

obey1l.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dduckworth you're awesome.

Thanks so much :D and thank you Woogity, good to know my crit isn't half crazed!

Here is what i've been working on - have been hesitant to show, loosely reinterpereted from this piece by Okita over at CGHUB

waywo2.png

Normal maps are finished for everything just not plugged in to UDK yet, finished textures for the grass and am working on the rest now, would love lighting suggestions and how I could go about doing the fog in the background, I just want some thick fog and maybe throw in a few trees for silhouettes in the distance.
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    hadessa03.png

Hands are a Bitch! xP
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles: comin along nicely!

Eight: I posted a rough concept sculpt a few pages back, but im already planning on changing a few things, still proporitons and style will be the same for the final :) its awesome you found that image, i loved that design when i first saw the film, its creepy as all hell.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Ghaad i'm slow >.<

HouseHP2.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    confusing sense of scale there, at first i thought it was much smaller than it's supposed to be
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    loving the shirt stinger, clever :)
This discussion has been closed.