Home General Discussion

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    true
    i was thinking that the goal would be to accept the fact u've got a certain level of ai and build the gameplay around that so it remains effective and cannot be easily exploited
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Watched some of the new videos from our dear public. Looks great, something I knew I'd enjoy. Can't wait for release day!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    I assume this is the leaked version?
    One can hope things will change. Hope. I doubt it will... but I'll hope!

No spoilers really. Just a guy shooting AI in the face, then another AI comes to check on his dead buddy, gets shot in the head, another guy comes to check, etc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2rRDRkfyQ

Well it is an early build but damn... same problem with Crysis. Programming doods need to do another year or two in college it seems!
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was just thinking that leaks might have some positive sideeffect, that people who plays the leaks and comes out pointing at the weak points, might help the company to narrow down on them before actually releasing the game and might quickly fix them. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonder how 'quickly' they can rewrite the entirity of the AI...
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I strongly doubt the AI will change. I know these videos make them look back but lets just say that it's balanced out with damage done to you. :\
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Andreas wrote: »
    Wonder how 'quickly' they can rewrite the entirity of the AI...

It's easy! Currently their AI code looks like this:

READY
    10 AI HEADSHOT BY PLAYER
    20 IF AI DISCOVER DEAD COMRADE SHOUT 'WHAT HAPPENED?!?'
    30 GO TO 10

All they need to do is add this additional code:

20 IF AI DISCOVER DEAD COMRADE SHOUT 'WHAT HAPPENED?!?'; SHOOT WILDLY IN GENERAL DIRECTION OF PLAYER; BACK AWAY SLOWLY TO COVER WHILE CALLING FOR BACK-UP.

Seriously though, it's really disappointing when a studio goes to such lengths to create a believable world in terms of visuals - fake brands, intricately realised technology, impressive viral campaigns etc. - but neglects to put the same effort into the actual mechanics of the game. Creating convincing and reactive AI should be a higher priority than how shiny your guns are.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    40 back away to where?
    50 waypoint required
    60 cover waypoint/object could not be found since game designer haven't put it yet in this area.. yet.
    70 ai decission fight between back away or idle
    80 idle win

unfinished build never meant to be judged by public
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    40 back away to where?
    50 waypoint required
    60 cover waypoint could not be found since game designer haven't put it yet in this area.. yet.
    70 ai decission fight between back away or idle
    80 idle win

unfinished build never meant to be judged by public

I think you may have missed the point. I wasn't suggesting that rewriting the code was easy, or that this was a finished build. Sarcasm never does work too well on the internet though does it...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    ^ lol ok :p:), my bad^^
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, apologies for coming across as snarky. I don't mean to single out Deus Ex Revolution either. It's more a reaction to the general trend in games with super high production values that have disappointingly simplistic AI (Crysis 2, Splinter Cell Conviction etc.). I'm hopeful that the AI in this game in the final build will match the visual excellence of the game.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    If they don't make AI behave as that, how are BradyGames gonna sell their exclusive special edition game guides?!

Deus Ex Invisible War had idiotic AI too, mostly running into turrets for ragdoll show and i've even silence pistol'd someone point blank up front... and they went investigating where they got shot from.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If I ever have kids, I'll force them to play this and everyother triple AAA game, and tell them; "See kids, this is what you look like to other people in terms of Intelligence when you act like a bunch of pillocks! Now go and make me some good AI darn it".

Ontopic: I'm so getting this game...for the design alone...wonder if we will get modding tools for us beautiful master PC gaming race...hmm.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    ^ lol ok :p:), my bad^^

It's ok, we all hate Mr. Carver. Handsome bastard.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, these triple a games have such shitty ai, it's indie games where the REALLY good ai code in combat is at. (??????)

I'm so excited about this game that i gave up being cautiously optimistic and am probably going to be horrendously disappointed.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Is there no good middleware for AI, for use in combat-oriented games? Surely there has to be.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm under the impression there is no good AI for combat oriented games. I play a LOT of games and i can't think of these magical titles you guys are holding this up against. A game with ai that is not either easily confused or omniscient, and remains interesting to fight against? No stealth games or shooters are coming to mind. Definitely not FEAR or Thief. I think some of the people who criticize mechanical parts of games like AI have rose tinted glasses about the games they played before they became overcritical dicks.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    SupRore wrote: »
    I'm so excited about this game that i gave up being cautiously optimistic and am probably going to be horrendously disappointed.

Same here!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. I remember behaviour in Thief III to be pretty much the same, where a guard would find a dead body, go on alert for 20 seconds, audibly say "Oh. Must have been the wind", then forget all about it and return to his post/patrol.

I don't remember this being so obvious in the first Deus Ex title. There isn't anything coming to mind. The enemies seemed to detect you pretty easily, and they'd either chase you down until someone died, or they'd go sound an alarm.

I think the MGS games do it pretty well, with an audible commanding officer barking the current alert status at the troops, so you know what mode they're in. They get backup, they can take cover, they search for you, etc.

I always remembered being impressed with Half Life, when you first meet the soldiers, too.

Anyway. Still looking forward to this game. Still trying desperately not to get my hopes up.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah this whole AI thing ... I either remember them being really dumb like in that trailer, always walking up to the same body, or either instantly being able to pinpoint you when they notice a buddy has been shot (eg Far Cry 2 was so disturbing in this aspect).
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    I think some of the people who criticize mechanical parts of games like AI have rose tinted glasses about the games they played before they became overcritical dicks.

For the record, I've ALWAYS been an overcritical dick. Ask anyone.

I'm not saying that triple A games have particularly bad AI, just that it often lags behind the cutting edge nature of the rest of the experience and drags down the believability of the game as a result.

I think that good AI doesn't have to be super intelligent, but there are a couple of things that make enemy AI seem more advanced than it necessarily is. Firstly that it reacts satisfyingly to your actions, and secondly that there is an escalation of response depending on how many enemies you kill.

I think The Metal Gear Solid games and Arkham Asylum for example do a great job on both of these points and so the enemies feel like people that experience fear and anger etc. rather than simply bots with very obvious alert and cool-down phases. I found Arkham Asylum really satisfying to play because the AI goons would get progressively more freaked out as you picked off more and more of their companions. Now I don't know if this is genuine AI or just clever scripting, but it's certainly a lot more immersive than having a parade of AI enemies all behave exactly the same way on discovering fallen enemies regardless of whether there's one corpse or five.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yea the point is how many leaps and bounds DX (for this example) has taken since its original in terms of graphics and what not, while the AI has been improved relatively little.

My assumption has always been that companies just don't wonna make AI so clever as to not turn down the vast majority of gamers - who r rather average players. Certainly, hardcore gamers and online competitors find the AI poor if not laughable but they r only an insignificant minority to the money & decision makers.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I watched the dumbass ai, and i disliked too many things that i ended cancelling my preorder.

A bad AI makes the gameplay very poor, and i can't tolerate this for this kind of game. By the way, a good AI does not make the game harder, just more credible.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I watched the dumbass ai, and i disliked too many things that i ended cancelling my preorder.

A bad AI makes the gameplay very poor, and i can't tolerate this for this kind of game. By the way, a good AI does not make the game harder, just more credible.

You're canceling your pre-order on the strength of a 38-second video of leaked beta gameplay?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    TomDunne wrote: »
    You're canceling your pre-order on the strength of a 38-second video of leaked beta gameplay?

There are more videos :)
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    There are more videos :)

Ah, I've only seen the one. trying to avoid them for spoiler reasons :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    well the reviews are pouring in. 9/10 on IGN, 8.7 on gametrailers, A on 1up. looks pretty awesome from everything I have seen so far. I would be going in as someone new to the franchise, played maybe 10 mins or so of 1 and also 2 but never got into them. I like the visual style, and while the graphics themselves dont look amazing, the art direction and visual design looks stellar. You guys grabbing it tomorrow?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Waiting for the thing to unlock in 13 hours...
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/22/70336/

shame on anyone who read any other reviews first.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG OMG OMG OMG! Haven't been this excited for a videogame in a long time!

Btw, someone said 13 hours? My steam says 3 days. :poly117:
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, ride, as always, Europe got screwed over by the industry. We get it at midnight here in the US.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Picking up tomorrow most likely. Glad it's getting great reviews, makes it a lot easier. :]

Never played a Deus Ex game though, or seen any footage of this one for that matter. (Barely seen screenshots)
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    This is my most anticipated game of the yaer, more than skyrim and batman! So excited! Pixelmasher, you've probably heard this before but the first Deus Ex is soooo worth a full play through. You gotta give it some time before you get into it though, the begining sucks in comparison to the rest of the game.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arghhh, I hate you all!! Starting on new job tomorrow and don't have my computer for a looong time :P oh well. Cant wait till I can. :)
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Wait!

We don't get it tomorrow in Europe?

:(
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Wait!

We don't get it tomorrow in Europe?

:(

Nope, sorry, seem you won't get it until Friday.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    the begining sucks in comparison to the rest of the game.

hells yeah-
  • NuZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Midnight cannot come quickly enough.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I guess Im gonna read issue 6 of the comic series just in time. Picked it up the other day and hadn't gotten to read it yet.

So far the other issues have been a nice setup/preview for the game.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    comic series!?
  • Kot_Leopold
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Mines in the post :( cant wait :D
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dead tired, have to get up in four hours, going to be dragging all day. Still couldn't sleep without seeing it. Just a half an hour in, and it's absolutely beautiful. "Give me Deus Ex"
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Ok here is what I have.

Goods:
    1. Interesting so far.
    2. Nice environments and future tech.
    3. Good music.
    4. The hiding behind corners bit works well.
    5. Weapons have "pull" to them.

Bads.

1. Poor Facial Animation, (can forgive)
    2. Buggy Release. Sometimes it freezes when attempting to load levels or load moves. (update quick)
    3. Absolutely HORRIBLE load times, from quick save. Literally 15+ seconds each time. This is on a SSD as well. (update quick)

THE BOMB
    4. REAL PISSER: Unless Im mistaken and its something in my system.. They took the cheap way out on the PC. IT HAS THE CONSOLE GAMEPAD CONTROL DELAY WITH MOUSE. Like it takes 1/4 second from when I move my mouse initially for it to show on screen. (Unacceptable on a AAA release.. Totally unacceptable.)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oxy - if I remember correctly, this lag is actually partly caused by the heavy graphics postprocessing. Disabling it made the game more responsive for me (on the "press" demo/beta version)...
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    So it's good then? ;-)
    Better be.
    I need my new PC - stat!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    dammit - have to wait untill friday ugh..
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Deus Ex : Human Revolution™ - Augmented Edition pre-ordered, can't wait for Thursday.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    [HP] wrote: »
    Deus Ex : Human Revolution™ - Augmented Edition pre-ordered, can't wait for Thursday.

^ This. :)